Chapter 7: It Was Always You

It Was Always You

Chapter 7: It Was Always You

It wasn’t too late to change her mind. She could still pick up the phone and call off the meeting.

Yuri tapped her finger against her glass. What should she do? What can she do? This was the only way she could think of—to keep a close eye on Stephanie.

The door chimed jingled, and it was too late for her to change her mind. Yuri sat up in her chair as the man bowed and sat down, taking off his hat.

“Afternoon Ms Kwon.”

“Afternoon Mr Lee.”

“What can I do for you today?”

Yuri slid the manila folder across the table and waited. Mr Lee looked at the documents confusedly.

“It seems like you have all the information you need here, Ms Kwon. What more can I find for you?”

“I need you to follow her. Track her every movement. I want to know her schedule, who she meets, her usual places—everything. Can you do that?”

The detective pushed his glasses further up his nose. “That is what I am good at, Ms Kwon."

“I trust that you will not tell anyone about this?”

“You have my word.”

“Good. Let me know as soon as you find anything.”

“Yes, Ms Kwon."

The private detective took his hat and tipped it courteously as he got up from his seat.

Yuri took a sip of her bitter coffee. This was the least she could do, she convinced herself.

The bell rang when the cafe door opened, and Taeyeon sidestepped, barely avoiding the detective who was in a hurry. She walked slowly to their table with an extremely confused expression.

"Who...was that...?" she asked, pointing a thumb vaguely in the direction of the entrance.

Yuri shrugged. "Don't know."

Taeyeon pulled the chair and sat down. "Did you hire a private detective?"

Yuri laughed and put her cup down. "See Taeng, why should I tell you stuff when you can figure things out on your own?"

"Because I'm your best friend." Taeyeon scowled. "What's it for?"

Yuri folded her arms, a hint of a smirk on her lips. "What do you think it's for?"

"Stephanie...?"

Yuri smiled and shrugged. "See. I don't have to tell you anything."

"What are you going to do?"

"What do you think I'm going to do?"

Taeyeon stared at her as she slowly found the answer. If her expressions were of any indication of what she was thinking, Yuri knew Taeyeon figured it out, because the way her best friend looked at her right now was unbearable. She looked away.

"Don't look at me like that Taeng. You know I have no choice."

"Is that all you're going do?"

Yuri stared into her half empty cup of coffee.

"It's all I can do."

For now.

* * *

Mr Lee worked fast. She received her first text of information just hours after their first meeting, an address to an upscale apartment complex in Gangnam.

Yuri grabbed her coat and keys.

- - -

Yuri tapped her handrest, waiting in her car across the street from the apartment complex. Mr Lee had texted her saying that Stephanie had just went into the apartment, so she wasn’t expecting to see her come out again so soon.

A black Rolls Royce stopped in the foyer, and the chauffeur got out. Stephanie came out half a minute later, greeted by the chauffeur, and she got into the car.

Yuri started the engine after the car drove out of sight and headed back to the office. Mr Lee would inform her where Stephanie went.

- - -

Her phone buzzed with an email, from Mr Lee. She unlocked her phone and downloaded the images. Five of them, of Stephanie in the lobby of a hotel, hugging a man, and allowed him to lead her to the elevators. The time stamp on the corner of the images told her it was at least three hours before Stephanie came down from the room and left.

She didn’t want to know what they did.

* * *

It has been a week after her first meeting with Mr Lee, and he had asked to meet up with her. He refused to talk about it over the phone.

Yuri entered the cafe, and spotted the private detective sitting at an inconspicious corner. She made her way over and sat down.

“Mr Lee.”

“Ms Kwon,” he greeted. “Thank you for coming out to meet me today.”

“Of course. Is there a problem? Why the sudden meet up?”

Mr Lee took out a folder from his briefcase. It was thick, full of pictures when he opened it. He laid the pictures out one by one onto the table. Yuri looked back and forth between them, but coulnd’t find the connection.

“They seem like ordinary businessmen, Mr Lee.”

“These are the men that Stephanie has been seeing, Ms Kwon.”

Yuri furrowed her eyebrows. “Okay...”

“I did a background check on them. It seems like they are all the potential investors in your company.”

“Excuse me?”

“These are the businessmen who have been potentially thought to be interested in your company. Did you not know?”

“And…Stephanie has been meeting them?”

“Yes. At hotels, restaurants, private clubs...it seems like she is their .”

“If I’m not mistaken, the contract at Allure doesn’t allow our employees to work anywhere else.”

“It seems like she has been keeping this a secret. I’ve asked several employees at the strip club if they knew Stephanie worked other jobs. They all told me the same thing, that they’re not allowed to work anywhere else.”

“Is she meeting these men through her own connections?”

“It seems so. I’ve traced her phone calls, and it doesn’t seem like she has any agents.”

But meeting potential investors of Kwon Enterprises. Why?

* * *

Kwon Enterprises has a new, revolutionary construction project that requires a lot of capital. There is someone out there who doesn’t want the investors to invest in it. Stephanie is meeting these investors. For…what…?

Yuri tapped her finger against the table. Stephanie must know something, but what? She was so lost in thought she didn’t even notice the seat in front of her being occupied.

“-ri…Yuri!”

“Oh Sunny, sorry.” She sat up in her seat. “I didn’t see you there.”

“Hahaha. It’s fine.” Sunny sat down and leaned forward. “What has got you thinking so deeply?”

How was she going to phrase this…

“Sunny, other than the strip club, did…Stephanie tell you what else she was doing…? Like, outside of work.”

“I’m…not sure I get what you mean…”

Sunny doesn’t know.

“Yuri, what are you talking about?”

She looked at Sunny. “Did Stephanie mention doing any work outside of Allure?”

“No, I don’t think so…Why? What’s wrong?”

Yuri stopped to think.

“The last time we met, you said I was the reason Stephanie came back.”

“Yeah…do you think it has something to do with this?”

“Can you find out for me, Sunny? When you see her?”

Sunny nodded, confusedly, but agreed. “Of course.”

“Thanks.”

* * *

It was after office hours,  but Taeyeon was still in the office. She just knew it.

She opened the door without knocking, and the two people inside the room screamed.

“Bloody hell Yul can’t you knock!”

Yuri looked at the flustered receptionist half underneath Taeyeon, and she scrambled to get off the sofa.

“E-Excuse me.”

The girl ran past her like she was running for her life and closed the door.

“Did you know how long it took me to get her to come up here?”

“No—”

“Two. Weeks!” She held up two fingers frustratedly.

“—and I don’t care.”

Taeyeon threw her hand up in frustration.

“Two weeks and you ruined it like that. Wonderful.”

“I should be worried.”

“What could you possibly be worried about when I’m worried about how I’m going to face her tomorrow. Hmm?”

“Then maybe you shouldn’t have done it in the first place. But other than that, I’m worried if you’re even doing your job.”

“I bloody well do my job, thank you very much.” Taeyeon grabbed her blazer from the coffee table angrily. “Now what is it?”

“I need to know more about the KK Convention Center on Jeju Island.”

“You come into my office after office hours just to ask me that?”

Yuri sat on the edge of the desk, smiling at her best friend’s tantrum, and folded her arms as Taeyeon plopped grumpily onto her seat.

“I’ll make it up to you.”

“Are you bribing me right now, Kwon Yuri?”

“No, I’m asking a friend for a favour.”

“This is hardly a favour.”

“What is this then?”

“An atrocious demand.”

“Drinks tonight. On me.”

Taeyeon pulled herself close to the desk. “What do you want to know?”

- - -

Taeyeon slammed the glass down choking on her drink. Yuri sat next to her calmly sipping her whiskey.

“You overhear two people who don’t want the investors to invest in this project and you just let them be?!”

“I had more important matters to attend to.”

“Stephanie is more important than your father’s company?!”

Yuri put her drink down.

“Taeng, that’s not the point.”

“What’s the point then?”

She considered her best friend for a moment.

“After seven years, why would Stephanie suddenly appear?”

“I don’t know,” Taeyeon shrugged, “because she felt like it.”

“That’s how you do things.”

“Sometimes I hate it when you ask me questions like that. I mean, why would you ask me the question in such a weird way. What do you want from me!”

Yuri laughed. Only Taeyeon could make her laugh, no matter how serious the situation was.

“I don’t know, what do you think of it?”

"Did Sunny find anything?"

She shook her head. "No."

“I say Stephanie has something to do with all this.”

“How?”

Taeyeon gulped her entire glass and grimaced.

“Oh, I don’t know. Trying to gather information maybe. I mean, don’t you think she’s in a good position to gather information?” She waved the bartender over. “Another glass!”

* * *

She arrived at Allure before it opened today. Irene was surprised.

“Ms Kwon, what brings you here so early? We haven’t opened yet.”

“It’s fine. I just want to use the VIP room.”

“Of course.”

“Don’t let anyone in, and people cannot know I’m here.”

“Yes, Ms Kwon.”

- - -

Coming to the strip club had become a normal occurrence lately, she pondered. Yuri leaned against the glass overlooking the first floor of the club. Watching as the employees prepared the place to open.

Yuri smiled to herself when Stephanie laughed over something her co-worker told her. Even after all these years she still looked the same when she smiled. Beautiful, and always full of energy. How does she smile, despite the circumstances she’s in?

Stephanie looked up all of a sudden at the VIP room. Yuri knew the glass was one way, but it still startled her. It was as if Stephanie knew she was there, and was looking right at her. But soon after she looked down with a small smile on her face. She finished wiping the table and went into the back room.

Yuri sighed and downed her drink.

* * *

It had only been a day since she last saw Stephanie, but she couldn’t keep herself away. The noise from the club was in full swing, and the beats pounded softly in the sound-proof room. Yuri poured herself another cup of whiskey.

Stephanie looked so different now that she was on the stage. Her innocent smile was gone, and the vulnerable girl Yuri knew was replaced with an unrelenting fierceness she never witnessed before. How was she so strong, Yuri wondered.

She walked away from the glass window to the table to set down her cup. She took off her blazer and ed her cuffs to roll up her sleeves. She was about to sit down when she heard the commotion from below. She rushed to the window just in time to see Stephanie trying to stop a man from advancing onto another stripper. Yuri dashed out.

She ran as fast as she could down the stairs, and squeezed past the people who were already starting to gather. Irene was already on the scene, but none of them expected to see what happened next.

The man shoved Stephanie into the wall, and d her. He grabbed a beer bottle from the table, smashed it, and brought the sharp remains to Stephanie’s face, spouting profanities.

Yuri rushed forward. She spun the man around by the shoulder and swung a fist into his jaw.

“You b*tch!”

She put her hand up to defend her face when the man swung the bottle and took a step back. Off balance from the swing, he was wide open, and Yuri rushed in for another punch to his face. He stumbled sideways and tried to lunge at her again. The security came on time, grabbing him just as he was about to hit her.

“Take him away.”

“Yes, Ms Bae.”

The man was dragged away, twisting and screaming in anger. Irene was quick to control the crowd, getting them to disperse.

Yuri knelt down in front of Stephanie who was huddling herself on the ground.

“Are you okay?”

She nodded, but Yuri could still see her shiver as she closed her eyes.

“You have a cut on your face. Let’s get it cleaned up.”

Yuri slipped an arm underneath Stephanie’s knees, another around her back, and lifted her towards the back way.

“Bring me a towel and first aid kit.”

“Right away, Ms Kwon.”

Stephanie shifted in her arms, and gripped the collar of her shirt tighter.

“It’s okay,” she whispered. “I’m here.”

Yuri brought her up to the VIP room and set her down on the sofa. She grabbed her blazer and draped it on Stephanie’s shoulder, who gripped it tight and pulled it close. Irene came in with the blanket and first aid kit.

“Here they are, Ms Kwon. Is there anything else I can get you?”

“No, that’s all. Please leave us.”

“Yes, Ms Kwon.”

The manager bowed and closed the door behind her.

Yuri unfolded the blanket and wrapped it snugly around Stephanie. She opened the first aid kit and wet some cotton with alcohol. Yuri sat down and looked into her eyes.

“Tell me if it hurts, okay?”

Stephanie just looked away.

Yuri slowly pressed the cotton onto the cut, but the younger girl jerked away in pain.

“I’m sorry. I’ll be more gentle.”

The stripper started to relax, and Yuri shifted closer, gently cupping her jaw as she started to dab the cut again.

Yuri gripped her tighter when she was about to move again. “Don’t move,” she breathed.

Stephanie complied, only stiffening and wincing a little as Yuri continued to disinfect the cut and applied some antiseptic cream.

“All done.” Yuri tried to smile, but Stephanie’s gaze on her was too painful to look into. Yuri turned away. “I think you should take the rest of the night off. Get some rest.”

She stood up, but a soft hand grabbed her wrist and gently tugged her back down.

“You’re hurt.”

Yuri looked down and saw her bleeding cut on her hand.

“It’s just a small cut. I’m fi—”

“Let me.”

She silently agreed.

Stephanie gently took her hand and wiped her wound with the alcohol swabs.

“Why did you do that?” she asked quietly.

“Do what?” Yuri replied.

“Punch that man.”

“He was going to hurt you.”

“You should’ve waited for security.”

“And let him hurt you while I do nothing and watch?”

“He could’ve killed you.”

“He could’ve killed you too.”

Stephanie stopped for a moment.

“You heard what the man said. I’m just a sl*t, it doesn’t matter if I’m killed. You’re the heiress of Kwon Enterprises. What happens if—”

“A life, is a life. A human, is a human, no matter who they are, or what they do.”

Stephanie shook her head and looked at her. “That is only what you think. Not everyone thinks the same way.”

“Isn’t that what matters?”

Stephanie’s gaze darted between her eyes. “That’s not how the world works.”

Yuri watched as Stephanie cautiously wrapped a bandage around her hand.

“Is that the reason why you’re doing this?” she asked.

“What?”

“Trying to stay away from me; pretending you don’t know me.”

“You know it’s impossible between us.”

Yuri grabbed her wrists when she stood and yanked her back down.

“Why? Because people say you’re a sl*t and I’m the heiress of a business empire?”

“Yes…”

“Then why did you come back? After seven years why did you come back now?!" Yuri raised her voice. Her heart pounded in her head, it was difficult to think, and feeling was painful. “I already lost you once. Now that you’re here again you’re asking me to just let you go? I’m not going to do that.”

“Sometimes, there are things in life we can never contorl; this is who we are.”

"No," Yuri closed her eyes and shook her head, "this is not who we are."

"It is."

"No! I can do something about this; I can make it work. We don't have to be this way."

"It's not going to work."

"Steph, believe me."

"It's impossible between us.”

Stop saying that.”

“Then wha—”

Yuri surged forward and pressed her lips against Stephanie’s, cupping her jaw. Stephanie pushed against her shoulders, and she tasted the salt from her tears. She pulled her close and moved her lips against Stephanie’s pliant ones. Stephanie gave in, and she kissed all of her pain and fears away.

They parted for breath, and Yuri leaned their foreheads together.

“Stop saying it’s impossible between us, because my life is impossible without you. It was always you, right from the beginning. They can talk about me, hit me, curse me, but it will always be you. I lost you once, I’m not going to lose you again. I’ll make it work. I’ll bloody make this work. Do you trust me?”

Tears streaked down Stephanie’s face as bit her lips to stop them from trembling. “I trust you.”

Yuri kissed her again, softly, and sealed her promise.


A/N: Finally an update! And we finally get to the good part. This is my longest chapter so far. I hope the next one doesn't take took long either D: