Twenty Two

Bloodstream [Broken Memories #1]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

On Christmas Day, Seulgi woke up to an empty house.  The lights were all off, there were no dishes in the sink and the house didn’t smell like beer.  Her father was no where in sight.  She spared a thought to wonder where he could be and if he even cared that he never saw his own daughter anymore.  It was from the realization that she was completely alone that she rushed to get ready.

 

If there was no one home, there was no one to stop her from going to the hospital.

 

She showered and got dressed as quickly as she could.  While visiting her grandmother, a festive green sweater and a red jacket would do for a bit of holiday spirit.  She wore leggings on the bottom and a pair of warm boots.

 

Seulgi bounded down the stairs when she was ready and pulled out her phone to call Jongin as she did so.  She wanted Jongin to come with her.  He’d promised he would the day before and she wanted to make sure he kept his promise.  She knew he would have to spend time with his family but Seulgi wanted him to meet her grandmother. 

 

“Bear, I’m already standing outside your house.  Get your cute out here,”  Jongin said, when he answered the phone.

 

Seulgi swung the door open, smiling at him.  He was outside her door, peering inside cautiously.  

 

“He’s not home.  I don’t think he’ll be coming home today,”  Seulgi said.

 

Jongin smiled in relief and took her hand.  Seulgi took the lead in locking her door and walking towards the car he’d brought for them to go in.  The hospital wasn’t too far away, but it was cold out and Jongin wanted to take the car.  She had to admit it was much better than the way she usually traveled.  If she had known that having a boyfriend could come with these perks, she would have gotten herself one a long time ago.

 

Inside the hospital, Seulgi couldn’t help but smile at the amount of holiday cheer.  There were garlands in the waiting room and a tree had been set up with presents under it.  There were a group of carolers going from room to room to sing to the patients.  Seulgi felt the guilt weigh in on her heart.  These past few years, her grandmother had probably had to deal with strangers singing to her.  Seulgi hadn’t been there to do it.

 

Jongin followed her to her grandmother’s room, the both of them snuck by instead of informing someone they were there.  Seulgi didn’t want her father knowing she’d come.  Still, even if he found out, she wouldn’t have not come.  She owed it to her grandmother to be there from now on.

 

She let go of Jongin’s hand and took her grandmothers.  “Hi grandma.  I’m here.  I’m sorry I didn’t come earlier and I’m sorry I always have to be sorry.”

 

“Merry Christmas, grandma.  It’s snowing.  I think you’d like that.  Remember how you always used to say it wasn’t a real Christmas if wasn’t a white Christmas?”  Seulgi chuckled at the memory.

 

Jongin cleared his throat and shuffled closer.  Seulgi realized that he must have made him feel awkward.  She pulled him closer to the bedside and brought his hand into the old, wrinkled one.  Jongin’s eyes widened but he didn’t pull away.

 

“This is Jongin, the boy I was telling you about last time.  He takes good care of me and with him around, I don’t feel scared or alone anymore.” Seulgi whispered.

 

“Can I say something?” Jongin asked, suddenly.  “I want a moment alone with her.”

 

Seulgi wondered what he couldn’t say in front of her.  She went out of the room anyway, wanting to give him the privilege of saying whatever he wanted.  He’d had enough courage to ask her for a small favor and she trusted him with the most important person in her life.  Seulgi leaned back against the wall and closed her eyes.  It was possible Christmas wouldn’t be that bad this time around.

 

“Kang Seulgi, you’re not supposed to be here,” a voice made her open her eyes.

 

There was a short guy standing in front of her in a nurse’s uniform.  He had honey blond hair and a smooth round face.  His hands were on his hips and he looked like an angry mother.  Luhan had always been like this and Seulgi groaned, not wanting to deal with the guy.  She could easily say if there was one person she hated most in the world, it was Luhan.  He was her father’s spy and was the reason she would find herself wishing she had a better life.

 

“If you call him, I’ll report you to child services when everything falls into place,” Seulgi said, confidently.

 

Luhan raised his eyebrow.  “You’re mentally unstable.  It’s okay if you’re confused.  Have you been taking your medication?”

 

Seulgi gaped.  “Is that what he told you?  Luhan, he’s the mentally unstable one.  Every time I come here, he beats me to death.  I hope you know that every time you’ve called him, you’ve contributed to this.”

 

She lifted up her shirt to show him.  Seulgi didn’t like looking at her body so she rarely ever did.  She knew the bruises were there.  There weren’t any recent ones but they came in various colors and shapes.  She watched Luhan’s face turn green and then red.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter