Chapter 5

Impressions

“Hey, I heard things about your partner at the library.” Tiffany placed her books on top of the table at the cafeteria.

“?” Jessica looked up from the book she was reading. She wasn’t hungry yet so she waited for her best friend to finish her class.

“Yep.”

“What about her?” Jessica returned to focus her attention on the book she was reading. She wasn’t that interested to hear anything that involves her erted NatSci partner.

“A lot are jealous of you.”

“What?” Jessica’s attention has now left the book she was reading.

Tiffany wore a smug face. “A lot are jealous of you. I was surprised to hear a couple of girls who wanted to be Yuri’s partner.”

Jessica raised an eyebrow. “You want me to accompany you to an ENT doctor? You better have your ears checked Tiff.”

“I’m not kidding. I even asked my workmate why are there a couple girls who wanted to be Yuri’s partner.”

“And? What did your workmate tell you?”

“Didn’t you notice how Yuri discussed your first activity at the class earlier? Didn’t you also notice the girls and boys who seem to be staring at your partner while she was talking in front?” Tiffany crossed her arms and slumped back on her chair.

Jessica thought for a while. She was definitely impressed at how confident and knowledgeable Yuri was while explaining stuff about their first activity in front of the class (Though she has sworn on her neighbor’s pet’s grave not to tell a single soul about it).  She has also studied about their first activity to prepare herself for the class discussion but the way Yuri explained and answered the teacher’s questions was really cool. The girl was able to simplify things and relate it to natural and human interaction. Something Jessica clearly didn’t expect from the erted tanned girl of her partner.

Jessica cleared . “Well…she was able to answer Mrs. Go’s questions. So whatever grade she gets on the paper would also be likely my grade.” She shrugged trying to appear non-chalant about the matter.

Tiffany raised an eyebrow. “That’s it?! Just a ‘well she was able to answer the teacher’s questions’? Are you seriously listening to yourself now Jess? I myself was really impressed with how she carried herself earlier. If I was a guy I would definitely be head over heels for such a smart girl like her. My workmate also told me that Yuri has been one of those girls in the university with quite a number of admirers. ”

Jessica was surprised at her best friend’s revelation. She didn’t expect that Yuri would bring such impact to Tiffany or maybe to some other girls and boys as well. “Go ahead. It’s not like it would be new if you go out with a girl. We had our own share of those kind of stuff in LA.” Jessica casually stated.

“You know we’re not in LA Jess.” Tiffany rolled her eyes. “Anyways, that’s not my point. My point is, aren’t you even happy or proud that you got paired with her? Girls and boys are envious of you.”

Jessica stared at Tiffany incredulously. “No. She’s still the same erted charcoal who ruined my first day at school here in Korea.” She added with a frown.

Tiffany sighed in defeat. Jessica is really stubborn sometimes. “Fine. Anyways, let’s grab some lunch I’m hungry.”

“You go get your food. I’m not hungry and not in the mood to eat.” Jessica nonchalantly answered without lifting her head. She tried to focus on the book she was reading but her mind kept on wandering somewhere else. That is surprisingly a smart . Maybe I should give her another chance to prove herself. We’ll see in due time.

*

“Hey Tiff, you go ahead I’ll have to leave first my things at the locker. These books are quite heavy.” Jessica stood up after stuffing her things inside her bag.

“Okay. See you at the classroom. Don’t take too long. Mr. Park hates late students.” Tiffany also stood up.

“Yup. See you.”

Both girls then walked their separate ways.

Jessica walked lazily towards the locker area. While she was carrying her books her mind wandered again at the talk she had with Tiffany. I can’t believe that actually has fan girls and boys. Jessica shook her head. But truthfully a part of her was happy and proud that her partner is a smart . She’ll have no worries about the particular subject then. Though she herself was challenged to also do well and be a beneficial partner in return. She then continued her way to her locker while mentally taking note to do better on their next activity.

“AAHHHHKKKKKKKK!” A dolphin-like squeak escaped Jessica’s mouth as soon as she opened her locker door. A black spider was hanging in front of her. She hastily took a step back and held her chest. After a while of staring at the evil thing that kept on swaying at her locker, a frown formed unto her face.

The spider wasn’t moving even after the deafening sound she just made. She used her book to swat away the hanging evil creature and as soon as it landed on the floor her suspicion got proven. She was about to take a step forward to step on the now-proven-plastic-spider but then she saw Yuri walk past her way.

“Ssshhh… Classes going on Jung.” Yuri casually walked past the frowning Jessica.

Jessica could only watch Yuri’s retreating figure who whistled her way on the corridor.

Yuri placed her hands on her pockets and whistled her way into her next class. A smirk escaped her lips as she walked past the frowning Jessica and continued walking casually along the corridor.

 

KWON: 2; JUNG: 1