Chapter 2

Impressions

“Hey Tiff, have you asked the high school kid where would you make Activity 1?” Jessica asked with her eyes closed while lying on the grass under the shade of the tree. Tiffany was sitting on the grass with her back against the tree.

“Huh? Who?” Tiffany asked in confusion while she momentarily peeled her eyes away from the book she was reading and glanced at her lazy best friend.

“Kim Taeyeon. She looks like a high school kid you know.”

“Oh.”

“So? When and where are you going to work?”

“Why are you curious? You want to swap partners with me?”

Tiffany’s question successfully caught Jessica’s attention. The girl immediately opened her eyes and looked at her best friend who wore a knowing smirk plastered on her face. “Can I?”

Tiffany burst out laughing at the obviously interested reaction of the brunette girl. After her laughter died down she wiped the tears that formed on the corners of her eyes. “God. You’re too obvious of wanting to get rid of your partner Jess.”

Jessica rolled her eyes. “What do you expect me to do? My blood boils every time I see her. How am I supposed to work with her for the rest of the semester?!” She sighed exasperatedly.

“She saved you from falling forward Jess. It was just unfortunate that her hands were---” Tiffany burst out laughing again while remembering the incident, making her unable to continue what she was about to say.

Jessica glared at her. Saved or not saved, still, her assets were the issue. Her impression on the tanned girl will never change. It will be forever nailed on the corners of her mind. THE ERTED TANNED GIRL.

“So? Can we swap partners?” Jessica cut her friend off. Displeased of being laughed at her unfortunate fate with the tanned girl.

“NO.” Tiffany wiped again the corners of her eyes.

“But why?!”

“Just no. And besides, what will you say to Mrs. Go? Why would you want to change partners? Are you going to tell her, ma’am I can’t work with someone who just grabbed my-----” Tiffany was cut off with a notebook which landed on her face.

“Fine. Shut up.” Jessica glared again at her best friend who was grinning from ear to ear. Obviously enjoying teasing her.

The two were interrupted when a small figure appeared in front of them.

“Uhh…sorry to interrupt. Tiffany, can I ask where would you like to work for the first activity?” Taeyeon stood awkwardly in front of the two. Yuri stood about a few feet away from them. She didn’t want to go near the brunette girl lying on the grass.

“Hi Taeyeon!” Was Tiffany’s bright reply. Then she glanced from side to side of the short girl. “Where is Yuri?”

Taeyeon turned her head and pointed at the tall figure with headphones on and standing against a big tree.

Tiffany followed where Taeyeon was pointing and saw Yuri standing against the tree. “Oh. Wouldn’t she also ask Jessi where to work?” She glanced at Jessica who shot her a glare. She stopped herself from laughing again.

“Err---about that, she was asking if you were staying in the dorm or apartment.” Taeyeon nervously glanced at the girl lying with her back on the grass. She then quickly averted her eyes to the bright smiling girl sitting beside Jessica.

Jessica just stared at her with a blank expression.

“We’re staying at the dorm. You?” Tiffany answered and glanced at her then to the standing Yuri.

Taeyeon knew that the question was for both of her and Yuri. “Uhh…Yuri and I stay in an apartment but it’s not that far. Just a walking distance from school.”

“Great. Since we can’t move freely and do the activity on the visiting area of the dorm, then can we do it on your place then?”

“Actually we were thinking about the same thing. Our place then.” Taeyeon grinned at Tiffany.

“Your place it is. Tell Yuri, Jessi and I are coming over your place after class.” Tiffany was wearing a mischievous smile when she glanced at her best friend then to Taeyeon.

“I will. See you later then. Bye.” Taeyeon then left the two and made her way towards Yuri’s direction.

***

Yuri was startled when she saw a pair of shoes in front of her. She wasn’t paying much attention at where she was walking. She was busy searching for her favorite music on her iPod. “Oh sorry.” She stepped aside without looking at the owner of the shoes she was about to bump into. But then the figure didn’t move. When she lifted her head she was surprised to see Jessica looking intensely at her.

“Kwon.”

“J--jung.”

Yuri could feel Jessica’s gaze boring holes again on her skull. Scary girl.

“I assume your friend has told you about later?” Jessica asked with a straight face.

“Uhh…y—yes. Taeyeon has informed me about it.” Yuri didn’t know what else to say. The girl’s gaze was making her feel uneasy. I think she’s burning me on her mind.

“Good. Prepare the materials. I don’t have a copy of the lab manual yet. I forgot to pay a visit at the dispensing lab earlier. Anyways, I have faith in your short friend. Bye.” Jessica then made her way through and left a dumbfounded Yuri.

She has faith in Taeyeon? What is she trying to imply? Aishhhh! So bossy and scary girl! Yuri groaned and resumed on walking ahead.

***

Yuri and Jessica wore a gloomy face and stayed quiet the entire walk into the apartment. Taeyeon and Tiffany on the other hand were all smiles and laughter while they walked ahead of the two.

“Okay we’re here.” Taeyeon beamed a smile at Tiffany after arriving outside the apartment.

“Nice. You and Yuri stay together?” Tiffany looked up the tall building.

“No. She rooms with Sooyoung while I room with Sunny. But we live next door to each other.”

“Ah.” Tiffany nodded in understanding. “Where is this Sunny? I only happen to see the three of you.”

“She’s excused from class. She and her coach are busy preparing for some international event wherein she will be representing the school. That kid is a genius.” Taeyeon explained while wearing a proud smile.

“Ohh. Wow.”

“Yup. She’s really a wow.”

“She’s also the same class with ours?”

“Nope. She and Sooyoung took a different extra subject from ours.”

“Ah.” Tiffany nodded in understanding.

“Shall we begin now?” Taeyeon then opened her bag to look for something.

“Sure. But Jessi and I don’t have a manual yet. We forgot to pay a visit at the dispensing lab to get our copies.” Tiffany smiled sheepishly.

Taeyeon chuckled. “It’s okay. Yuri and I have our manuals. And I’m pretty sure Yuri has already read what the first activity is all about. She’s a surprisingly diligent student.”

“That’s great! I don’t have to worry then. Jessi is in good hands.” Tiffany gave her best friend a mischievous smile which was responded with a glare by the brunette girl.

“So in the first activity we will be needing a frog.” Taeyeon explained while taking out two pairs of gloves from her backpack and handed one pair to Tiffany.

“Frog?!” Tiffany and Jessica exclaimed at the same time.

Yuri and Taeyeon flinched at the loud voice.

“Err---yes? Something wrong?” Taeyeon glanced between Tiffany and Jessica.

“I don’t like frogs. And bugs. And insects.” Tiffany stated with her face contorted in disgust.

“How ‘bout you?” Yuri asked the girl beside her.

Jessica responded with a shrug. “Got gloves for me?” She asked the taller girl.

See? Really bossy. Yuri then looked inside her bag and took out two pairs of gloves. She handed the other one to Jessica.

“Okay now. Let’s head behind the apartment and look for frogs.” Taeyeon made her way to a small alley while the girls followed behind.

*

Taeyeon and Tiffany took the left side of the forested area while Yuri and Jessica took the other side.

“Yah! Yah! Kwon! There’s a frog there!” Jessica pointed at a far corner beside the swampy area.

Yuri carefully made her way to which the brunette pointed. “Yah! Jung! Take this.” She tossed a cellophane bag to Jessica.

“What am I going to do with this?”

“We’ll place the frog there.”

“WHAT?! I AM NOT GOING TO CARRY THE FROG!”

“So you want to do the catching then?” Yuri perked an eyebrow.

“Fine!” Jessica shot her a glare before pulling open the bag and walked towards Yuri’s direction.

Yuri took a couple of careful steps towards the frog. Ready to catch it.

“JESSIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!” A loud voice surprised everyone including the frog which hastily hopped its way away from them.

Yuri and Jessica groaned at the disturbance and the now frog less area in front of them.

“What?! Can’t you keep your vocal chords to yourself for a while?! You scared our frog away!” Jessica shot a glare at the eyesmiling girl who was nearing them followed by Taeyeon carrying a cellophane bag.

“Ooops. Sorry.” Tiffany sheepishly grinned.

“What do you want?!” Jessica frowned.

“Nothing actually. Just happy to tell you that we finally caught a frog. Taeyeon was awesome! She did it so quickly.” Tiffany beamed a proud smile.

“Ok. Now get out of my sight and fry your frog!” Jessica shot her loud best friend another glare.

After Tiffany and Taeyeon had disappeared from their sight, Yuri and Jessica searched again the area for another frog.

“Kwon! There!” Jessica hissed and pointed behind a rock.

Yuri then motioned for the brunette to prepare the bag. She carefully made her way towards the other side of the rock and positioned herself to grab the frog with both her hands.

“Got it!” Yuri beamed a smile while holding the frog between her hands. She was making her way towards Jessica but the brunette kept on walking backwards.

“Yah! The bag!”

“Do—don’t…wait…” Jessica kept on setting a distance from Yuri who was carrying a squirming frog.

“What?!”

“J--just wait!” Jessica took a couple of deep breaths.

Yuri perked an eyebrow then a smirk escaped her lips. “You’re also afraid of frogs aren’t you?”

Jessica shot her glare.

Yuri burst out laughing wiggling the frog in front of her and Jessica.

“Yah! Yah! Kwon! Stop laughing! The frog might escape!” Jessica panicked.

Yuri laughed even harder. When her laughter finally died down she turned again to the frowning Jessica. “You could just say so you know.” She said still grinning.

“Shut up.” Jessica tossed her the bag and walked away.

“Yah! Where are you going?!”

“Out.”

“Yah! Jung! Comeback here! Just hold open the bag! You want to fail this subject?”

Jessica turned around and shot her another glare. “Fine!” She stomped her way back to Yuri.

Yuri held in her laughter. She was enjoying seeing the obviously disgusted face of Jessica while the girl held out the bag. The girl’s face contorted as the frog was squirming from Yuri’s grip. After successfully placing the frog inside the bag Jessica immediately tied it and threw the bag on the ground.

“Yah! Why’d you do that?”

“I don’t want to carry it.” Jessica’s face was filled with disgust.

“Fine.” Yuri bended over and took the bag. Bossy.

 

The two then made their way out of the backyard.