Family life I / Kyuhyun IV

Pride in friends

For the next week I helped my father at work. My father was labourer/truck driver for a gyprock company. He had several offsiders to help him unload the truck, and keep him entertained for hours, including my younger brother, who was looking at leaving school and apply for a more permanent position with my Father. But for these last few days, Mum had shipped Sungjin off to school, in hopes that it would make him want to stay there and the other boys needed the time for some concert. I was happy that I got take a break from the amount of people I had to be surrounded by, and just got spend time with Dad. We listened to music from the 60's 70's and the 80's happily, singing along together and in a horrendous harmony. We bustled the loads of gyprock into building after building, and I felt so happy just to be with Dad.

My father at this point was still very young, he was thirty eight years of age and my mother thirty seven, and for him the most rewarding part of the day was sitting down with myself or my mother at little BBQ joint with several bottle of soju and beer. Dad loved a somak at the end of a shift, and loved to get that little bit tiddly so he could relax and not have to deal with the little s that he had to put up with for most of the day. He would sit their happily as made drink after drink for him and, cooked the various meats. He would talk about how he wished I would be a little bit more jovial for a person my age, that I would hang out more with Ryeowook or any of my old friends, and that he wished that everything that did happen to me, didn't. I would allow him to talk about these things with me, because he was my father and he loved me, but i would always have troubles talking to my mother about it.

"Sungmin, what was that boys name." He asked after one shift.

"Which boy, Dad?"

"The boy that you clocked a few days ago." He laughed as I remembered back to Kyuhyun's blackened eyes and wondered how he was.

"Cho Kyuhyun."

Dad looked down at the glass and huffed, his eyes seemed to be swimming with questions, hoping for the answers that at the bottom of the glass. He huffed again as I slid more meat on his plate, hoping he would tell me why he brought up Kyuhyun. Dad just smiled over at me and scoffed the meat and some sauce as quickly as it was on the plate. I wondered if he had gotten his answers from the meat instead.

"Next time he scares you, clock him harder." Dad said as his mouth was bursting at the seams with rice.

"Why?" I chuckled, finding my fathers full mouth and big eyes comical.

"Well, Ryeowook has been visiting your mother, and been putting ideas into her head. And you know what happens when she gets an idea into her head." Dad chucked back the somak and tapped the glass for another.

Mum was scary once she got an idea in her head, and depending on the idea it could be very, very bad. Ryeowook had the potential to tell Mum things in an overexaggerated way, escpecially when it concerned me. Ryeowook and my Mother were all hoping for the same thing. I would come to grips with what had happened, I would become like all the other guys my age, crazy about girls or boys, I would allow someone to come within touching range of me, and I would eventually have someone to become in my mothers words 'adorable with'. When she found out that Ryeowook was talking to me again, she became insufferable for months, asking if there was a girl I liked, if I was interested in Ryeowook (which seemed more like a scaring nightmare in my head), and I was ready to go out and socialised (which then I definetly was not). She was so far gone on the idea of me liking Ryeowook, that she tried to force us into multiple romantic situation. It wasn't until Dad promptly told her to shove off did she stop.

But she had recently started back up again, though not with pushing Ryeowook and I together. It was more about how I presented myself, even when I was at work. She had constantly told me that I should put some BB or CC cream on, just so I looked a lot refreshed. or that I should dress more fashionably. Instead of wearing my huge Shirts that covered every inch of me, baggy pants, and a hat to hide my face. She was now buying me tight form fitting shirts and pants, and everytime I went out these days she tried throwing out all my 'bad' clothes. Sungjin would come home somedays to find my clothes outside in plastic bags, thank god for him bringing them all back in, otherwise I would have nothing to wear.

"I believe She's already started" I filled up the glass up with soju carefully, then topped it off with beer.

"They have been talking about that boy." Dad said as I pushed the end of my spoon down hard into the drink, mixing the soju with beer properly.

"Why?"

"Ryeowook believes that talking to this guy will open you up." he replied talking a long gulp

"Can't I just be left alone." Grumbling never got me anywhere when it came to my parents.

"Afraid not Pumpkin." Dad chugged back another mouth full.

Dad liked nicknaming us when were little. His favourite nickname for me was Pumpkin. The reason he calls me Pumpkin is just because my Mother used to dress me up in all these little dresses. One day she decided to put me in the pumpkin orange dress, with a little green headband, so of course when Dad came home and saw me on the floor playing with my toys, he said I looked like a Pumpkin. From then on it has stuck, though thats not my only nickname from him as well, I occasionally get Pooh, or Bear. Though From Mum I get Sweetie or Darling, but nothing as absurd as Dad's nicknames. Sungjin usually gets Mate, or Bastard boy, but the last one is only used when he has annoyed dad to the point of no return.

"Uggh, It explains Mum's desires on me having a new wardrobe then."

"YEP!" He shouted and then chugged back the last of the drink, slamming the empty glass in the table.

The rest of the night was happy talking, drinking and eating. We both walked home, the cold breeze sobering the both of us up a little. It wasn;t that late into the night, probably about seven o'clock when we started home, the truck being left at the depot for the night. Dad was basically staggering along the pavement, avoiding people as best as he could. I took in a deep breath of the cold air, feeling a smile take form on my lips, as Dad cackled about some joke. I knew that I had to go back to 'school' tomorrow, though I did get to see Kibum again, but I was so far behind on work as well, I knew I was going to have to ask him for some major help with it.

We finally made it back to the small little house that Dad's family bought for us. It was located outside the inner city, sitting squat in the middle of the street. It was easy access for my to catch a bus to get to 'school', it was walking distances for Dad to get the depot, Mum could easily get to work at the small little Cafe she worked agt with a couple of friends and Sungjin's school was in walking distance. Our house was small, but Sungjin and I had our own room, and Mum and Dad theres, there was only one bathroom and our kitchen just ran off to the side of our loungeroom. I loved our small little house, there was enough room for all of us to live comfortably and happily. Mum had a small little garden out back, Dad had a small front section where he could fool around with different tools, and Sungjin and I had enough room to grow.

Dad stumbled slowly into the front gate, and I decided to sit on the porch for awhile, it was very cool but comfortable especially for mid March. He told me not stay out to long before he went inside to give my mother a warm kiss. I pulled out my Ipod, and pressed the middle play button to turn it on. Technology seemed so big for me back then, touch phones were just coming out, I was still impressed I didn't need to put a CD in a player just to listen to music as I walked or took the bus somewhere. By today's standards, I bet children today don't even understand how lucky they are to have technology this good.

I turned up the Ipod loudly and smiled happily and looked up into the sky. I could just make out a few stars, though the glow of the city was still too much for me to make out them all. Helicoptors and planes flying pass made the sky seem alive almost, and the sound of Kim Jongwan's voice villed a harmonious peace in my heart. I stood up and walked around the front yard, aware of the way my body would flow to the rhythm slowly. My feet moving in a defensive position, as I moved with a slow percsion, practising slow punches and smooth high kicks. I turned around swiftly and punched the air faster than before. My hand was caught in mid swing. Surprising the hell out of me.

"Caught it before it hit me." Kyuhyun smiled.

I tore my hand out of his as quick as I could and eeped (which I must say was very unmanly of me). Kyuhyun apologised for scarying me and chuckled as i was trying to maintain my breath in take and heart rate, which were both moving all too rapidly.

"Why and how did you come here?"

He just smiled and waved a thick booklet of worksheets and notes in front of my face. I pulled my earphones out and and shook my head. Kyuhyun silenetly passed the worksheets over to me, his face slowly morphing into a look of annoyance, as I snatched them out of his hand and held them close to my chest in a protective manner.

"Ryeowook told me where you lived. Kibum was going to bring them over, but he got called in after classes to get to work. So I thought I would come bring them in, considering you haven't shown up since the day you punched me." He explained.

Kyuhyun's eyes did look remarkably better from the week that I had been missing. Though It didn't occur to me that other people would be worried or taking notes for me while I was away. But as I looked at Kyuhyun's annoyed face, all I could say was,'why should he care, or any of them for that matter'. I let out a sigh and dropped my head, nodding that it would have been better if I saw Kibum instead.

"You're eyes look better." I said as I moved to pull my Ipod out of my pocket to turn it off.

"They should, it's been a week. It would have been nice though." Kyuhyun mumbled and folded his arms against his chest.

I looked over at him confused by the statement. Why did Kyuhyun have to talk in weird sentences and not just say what he meant. Though that could have been the problem, he said what he thinks, without specifying what he means. I wished he hadn't come all the over hear just to look annoyed, horribly dishevelled, which made him look too damn good.

"What?"

"A call, anything. let someone know you were okay. I thought you were pissed at me or something." Kyuhyun grumbled as I lwalked over to the porch to put the work sheets down.

"Sorry. Work." I chuckled as somehow I thought the statement funny, though that could have been the alcohol still playing to affect.

"I don't see what's so funny about that Are you drunk or something?." Kyuhyun sttitude rose.

I couldn't help but keep chuckling. Just the way he kept himself stiff and proper looking, with all the attitude and annoyance he could muster on his face. It had to have been the alcohol that caused me to find his face so humerous, or it was probably just what I needed. To laugh. All the pent up worrying I had been doing over certain things flew away, unfortunately I looked like a jackass.

"I'm fine, had a bit with Dad earlier. Sorry though." I was still chuckling at his shocked expression.

"It looks good." Kyuhyun murmured, smiling softly now.

"What?"

I was stilling chuckling at the expression he had, even if it was a smiling one now. The alcohol definetly was playing with my behaviour. I walked over to the porch again and sat down, breathing in deeply. Kyuhyun moved along with me and nodded to the porch, asking silently if he could sit with me on the step. I moved as far as I could over, keeping my distance as far as I thought sociably allowed when talking to someone.

He sat down with a thump on the little step with me, and we looked up and the few stares we could see, me still chuckling away. The buzz of the alcohol still flowing through me. I looked over at Kyuhyun and smiled happily over at him, watching his cheeks grow a warm soft pink. He shook his head and smiled again, staring at the sky again.

"You're smile, it looks good." Kyuhyun softly spoke.

I hummed at the response, feeling my body fill with a pleasant thrum. The night air was very intoxicating to my drunken senses, and I just continued to hum and think. I would look pover at Kyuhyun every now again, feeling that damn spark flow through me again. I thought I had removed a lot of those feelings, but that night, they felt amazing. I could look at Kyuhyun and not feel guilty or unsure about those feelings. Though I was worried about how Ryeowook would feel if he knew about those feelings. Would he hate me for them. I always assumed he would be, but Kyuhyun and Ryeowook always seemed to be together in my head.

"Why did you break up with Ryeowook?" I moved a little closer towards him.

I accidentally let go of my thoughts, always was a problem when I was drunk. Though I always wanted to know why Kyuhyun and Ryeowook broke up. I always wondered if he had other partners besides Ryeowook, and if he did what were they like? Kyuhyun looked over at me in surprise, perhaps it was the first time I asked him such a personal question, or simply for the fact that I moved just that little closer to him and it caught him off guard.

"Hmm. I suppose it was for multiple reasons." He replied.

I could see him thinking back on it. He seemed to be thinking hard, but he still had a little curve of a smile placed on his lips. He looked over at me, and I could see him judging how much closer he could close the gap. He stayed in his position though, which I was pleased he did. He fiddled with his hands for a moment and took a deep breathe.

"Though which time are you referring too." He laughed.

I couldn't believe how hard I laughed at this silly little remark. I was worried that my parents would come out the house to check up on me, on how hard and loud I laughed. They remained inside however, though I learned later my mother was watching curiously out the window. Kyuhyun smiled over at me and chuckled with me. I just nodded for him to continue, he could decided which one he wanted to tell me.

"First time, I felt I was too young. I also like someone else, but they went away and left me behind." He sighed as he looked at the sky.

I felt as though they were suitable reasons for the first time, especially considering he was twelve and that is rather a young age to start dating. But I could feel my mind tick over, waiting for the name of the person he liked, or what the second reason for his rejection of Ryeowook. He looked back over at me and smiled gently.

"The second reason, well. I tried cause I thought I did like him, but he kept bringing up that person when we talked. And that fact they had left, and I thought I would never get to see them again scared me. I thought being with Ryeowook would bring them back to me, but I was wrong. Finally I guess I got tired of trying with Ryeowook, and waiting for that person to return to my life. "

I felt my heart sink a little. Ryeowook was pretty much used, and I felt a little pissed about that, but he did like Ryeowook, and did try. But my heart also sunk for the fact that Kyuyun could still be waiting for the person who he seemed to have felt most for. It seemed this person missed so much took a huge part of him with him.

"I dated other people, a girl and another guy from our school, they were in your year actually." He chuckled.

"Who?"

"Seo Joohyun and Jung Yunho" That smiled seemed cheekier than ever to me.

"Seo was a ." I mumbled, feeling annoyance tinge against my buzz.

"How true you are. But why for you?" he asked.

I smiled at him, feeling my face scrunch up in a cheeky grin. I don't know what it was about that woman that I didn't like then. But I know why I don't like her now. She treats one of friends in particular like a doormat, and he is constantly waiting for to come to him. I feel a little bad to refer to him as a door mat, but thats what she makes him. Another reason why I don't like this woman to date is what she clearly does in front of me. I hate it when she comes trollusing up and hits on Kyuhyun right in front of me. I am literally held back somedays by Kibum so I won't slap her right in perfect, pretty little face. God how I hate her.

"Dunno, just the way she treats some people maybe. I just can't like her. Especially the way she treats Ryeowook."

"Sounds like her. I was pretty much used and then dumped to side for a much bigger prize." He spoke awkwardly.

"So this mysery person that you liked so much, did you get to see them ever again?" I questioned.

My happy little buzz fading just a bit at the mention Seo, so changing the topic was bound to keep me thumming along the borders of drunk and tipsy. Kyuhyun sighed and looked at me a little sadly, probably because I asked to much of a personal question in the beginnings of our new renewal of friendship.

"I have, but they seem very distant on the person they used to be. Except when they have had a few." He sighed and looked back up at the sky, trying not to chuckle to himself at his last remark.

"I would say keep trying. You're a very good guy Kyuhyun. They're bound to notice that. " I smiled softly over to him.

I could see Kyuhyun's face go a complete shock of red over what I had said. He started chuckling in an embarassed fashion and tried hard not too look over at me. I was still examining him gently, hoping that what I said was to embarrassing in away for him.

"Thanks Sungmin." He smiled as I nodded

He looked over to the sky and pushed himself up from the porch. he walked around in front of me, I looked up at him. I could still feel the fantastic happiness my body was consumed in from the alcohol, so I let Kyuhyun get a little closer, his hand slowly reaching for mine. I looked down at the action and felt a little deadpanned at what I was supposed to do with his hand. I remember thinking 'the somak shouldn't have affected me this much'. But I slowly reached for it and allowed myself to be pulled up from the step and to close the gap between Kyuhyun and I.

I felt the worry take over me, sobering me quickly, trying to tell myself that I was in front of my house, and if he tried to do anything I could scream for help at any moment. He looked into my eyes and shooked my hands gently, smiling brightly down at me all the while. I allowed myself to feel a little relaxed with handshake and smiled back at him. He placed his other hand over mine, enclosing it like a sandwich for a brief moment. He must have seen the fear in my eyes slightly as I felt my hand encased, so he let go of it quickly.

"Sungmin, next time we're alone, can I ask you a question about you? If you can't or don't want to answer, you don't have to, but I want to know about how and who you are now."

Kyuhyun looked at me sincerly, his words never wavering with any kind of lie and I felt as though there was a part of him that I could hopefully trust with somethings. I felt lips tug into a small smile, Kyuhyun was still the same as he was when he was child.

"If that's what you want." I shrugged backing up the steps of the porch.

"I would!" He grinned widely as a child.

"Only when we're alone though." I grabbed the work pile of work that i previously placed down.

"Goodnight Sungmin." He waved as he began to walk to the front gate.

"Goodnight." I mumbled and waved a little.

Kyuhyun walked out the gate and down the path, I kept a watch of him until he was completely out of view. I sighed and looked at the amount of work I had to finish probably by the end of this week, including all the stuff I had from tomorrow on. When I walked in the door, i could see my mother hiding off to the side, and my father was still happily drinking in the living room, listening to a western song from 60's that I was very fond of. I sat on the couch with Dad and sung loudly with him, while Mum and Sungjin danced together.

That night had been a very remarkable one for me. I felt a little like my old self again, and there was a part of me that couldn't wait to see some of the people at 'school'. I knew I looked forward to seeing Kibum, but I was also excited see Kyuhyun again. I pushed the niggling feeling of worry away, and allowed the buzz of happiness continue. It made my mother happy. My Father and later that night Sungjin would tell me it was the best i ever looked in ages.