Kyuhyun III

Pride in friends

The next day wasn't any better, though it had a similar routine to it. Computer labs to begin with, then a language and creative arts class, then dragged down to lunch. The difference though was that we had it in the library considering it was pouring. It was the first time we had been in the library, and it was small, dingy, and I loved it. It had everything that I needed to escape the lunch time conversation, new books to read, a computer to pretend to do work on, it was like a little slice of heaven. But Kibum had a hold of my arm and was dragging me to the crowded table, there was a new addition to the group as well this time. His name was Nam Woohyun, and I could tell that only a couple of the people on the table liked him, and the rest didn't.

Woohyun said hello to us as quick as possible and then Kibum plopped me in between him and the new guy. Woohyun was very nice, he was very, very nice. He focused all his attention on Kibum, but included me in the conversation, without actively involving me, which I enjoyed. Jessica was already obsessed with him by the time we came, and Krystal was becoming a little enamoured with him as well. Which meant less people talked to me. We were about halfway through lunch before I had to be actively thrown into the conversation, and unfortunatly that came from Han Geng. There was an uncomfortable amount of attention that was ed upon me, and the topic was about where I had wander off too yesterday.

Everyone stared as I stammered out nonsensical sounds, as I tried to figure out an explanation of my whereabouts. I quickly closed the book, and stuffed it in my bag, jumped out the chair and quickly muttered that I had to go somewhere. It must of looked really odd to them, but I had to get out. The relief I felt as I got out of the doors rushed over me and I quickly looked at my phone and busted to the History room. I still had half an hour before the class started, but it gave me half and hour to be with me.

I knew that when I had to go back to school that I would have to deal with people, but I thought that it was going to be in a limited capacity, like just talking only to Kibum and having to do a group project when it was forced upon me. I breathed out a sigh of relief when I started up the stairs, exploring the inside my bag for my earphones. As I placed them in my ears and turned the music up, I began to bop around to the sound of H.O.T's Candy, a little guilty pleasure of mine when I felt overwhelmed by everyone and everything around me at the time.

I was so involved with the song, even singing softly around, I didn't even take any notice of the movement behind me. A soft tap hit my shoulder causing me to scream and turn around fast and punch the person in the face. The person fell backwards on the floor, while I inhaled as deeply as I could. Kyuhyun's face was scrunched up in pain, his nose gushing blood, and I began to panic. I knelt down as quickly as I could helped him sit up.

"I'm so sorry Kyuhyun! I didn't mean to do that!! Oh my god I can't believe I did that too you." I apologised as profusely as I could.

He kept his hand on his nose pinching it, as I helped him off the ground. He shook his hand at me as if to tell me nevermind, but I kept apologising as best as I could. His face mouth and chin were covered in a thick layer of blood, it was dripping on the carpet terribly. I kept repeating 'keep your head up', as I quickly shuffled him to the teachers office.

The look on their faces as I shoved Kyuhyun into the tight box of a office, was one of pure horror, Mrs. Park our history teacher quickly took us to the infirmary where she placed Kyuhyun and I in the care of the nurse. Kyuhyun quickly took his hand off his nose so that the nurse could have a look to check if it was broken. She just smiled and said he was just going to be looking like a raccon for the next couple of days and that the bleeding will stop soon. She placed a box of tissues next to the both of us, and 2 paracetamol tablets with a glass of water.

Kyuhyun winced in pain again as he moved his hand back to his nose, hoping that the bleeding would stop soon. I looked down at the ground as I sat down next too him. There would be the occasional whimper or whine that would emit from his lips, and then a shuffle of legs on the bed. He looked over to me and laughed a little. I still maintain to this day, that I had hit him so hard, that I rattled his brain into thinking it was somehow funny. He chucked the last of the crimson stained tissues into the bin and quickly swallowed the tablets.

He was still chuckling after he finished swallowing the pills, he looked over to me and smiled. His eyes were already starting to darken underneath, and I could tell that when he got home, his parents were going to be fricking pissed off, they probably would even force him not to come back. But he just laughed, and that did help quell my guilt just a little.

"He told me that you could give a good punch." He continued snickering as I closed my eyes, trying not to feel panic take over at the mention of Ryeowook.

I apologised again, but he just raised his hands and explained he shouldn't have snuck up behind me. I still didn't feel that he should have let me off so easy about it. The nurse came back in for a moment towing in Kibum behind her. Kibum looked at both of us in shock and walked over towards us. The smile on his face slowly turned into a smirk as he saw the darkening shadows forming under Kyuhyun's eyes.

"Get the drop on Sungmin? Should have warned you." Kibum said.

"What are you in here for then?" Kyuhyun questioned, noting that Kibum didn't look sick in anyway.

Kibum had type 1 diabetes, and to be able to take his insulin, he had to come all the way down to the infirmary, because some people had an issues with him jabbing himself to save his life. His diabetes was the reason that he had to quit highschool, there were several cases that had almost killed him. It wasn't until later on in life that Kibum understood the repercussions of his negliegence when it came to his diabetes.

Kibum pulled out the needle and smiled over at me. Just clear clarification that he only had to put insulin in his body, and he wasn't in there for either a hyper or hypoglycemic attack. Kibum rolled up his shirt and grabbed at small piece of fat on his body to inject the needle into. He then sat down for awhile and placed the used needle back into his bag and decided to sit for a moment.

Kibum and Kyuhyun exchanged a brief back and forth before Kibum decided it was probably best for him to head back to class. He looked over at me and nodded to the door to check to see if I was going to come along with him. I shook my head feeling still a little guilty for punching Kyuhyun in the face, and Kibum waved his farewell for the afternoon. I looked over at the clock, and realised I still had one more class for the day that I probably should attend, causing me to sigh.

How I longed for needless classes to end, and the days for me to be shorter, though it never seemed to happen for me. But if I stayed as long as I could besides Kyuhyun, I could miss out on the needless classes, and hopefully make that day a little bit shorter.

"I can see you're using me as an escape from a class." Kyuhyun chuckled as he started to relax a little further down on the pillows.

I just simply shrugged my shoulders and scrummged in my bag for something to eat. During school days, my Mother had still loved to make my lunches if she was not working, they usually consisted of a couple of strawberries, a little sweet bread, and a large portion of whatever we had leftover from dinner. Today I have left over japchae and it was an enormous portion. I knew it would be better warm, but, I just wanted some excuse not to talk.

Kyuhyun always seemed to enjoy the lunches my mother would pack me. But today was the first day he would try one. He looked into the large container and his eyes seemed to pop open. his mouth would form a funny smile as he looked into the box, and I couldn't help but force the meal unerneath his face. It looked better than some of the meals that he ate, and seeing his eyes widen like that, just seemed too comical. I pulled out the strawberries and started ripping off the leaves.

"You're giving me the meal?" surprise seem to grab a hold of him as he looked at me.

"Call it compensation for today. And yesterday." I nodded as I passed him the chopsticks that were hiding in container in the front of my bag.

Kyuhyun seemed to devour the meal in front of him. I knew my mother was an excellent cook, and I could see it in the way his smile stretched over his face. I could feel the heat flooding back to my face again, and I had to do something to hide it. I popped strawberry after strawberry into my mouth. Strawberries had this weird affect over me, they could calm me down with the way that the sweet flavour rushed over every inch of my tongue. It was a freshness that I loved, and Mum knew that so well. Thats why she continously packed at least four or five into the container for lunch.

"Did you cook this?"

I shook my head no as fast as I could, biting the last strawberry I had in half. The juice spilt over my bottom lip and I ran my tongue over it swiftly to pick up the escaping droplets. Kyuhyun smiled and reached over towards me and tried to run his thumb to collect the drop I had miss. I flinched away before he could touch me, and shook my head no again. He seemed to understand and moved his hand back to his side.

"My Mum did." I muttered as I threw the leaves in the bin and focused on the clock again for the moment.

Kyuhyun nodded again and smiled appreciatingly as he placed more of the food into his mouth. I knew it would be better if it was warm, though I don't think it would have done much for him anyway. He seemed to be really enjoying the meal that he had been given, his smile was wide that I couldnt help the god damn flutterings in my belly. If anyone else saw the smile of enjoyment he gave, they would have fallen for him then and there.

He talked about different foods he loved, how he had always wanted to learn how to cook in an arrangement of different cuisines, but felt as though he lacked the talent or the imagination to do it. I actively listened to the conversation, I wasn't just nodding and yepping when it was needed. When he asked me questions, I would answer the best I could with short little sentences, which seemed to dishearten him a little, but I had promised myself I wouldn't let anyone get to close to me again. And Kyuhyun was no exception to my promise at the time.

Kyuhyun passed me the container when he was finished with it, and I closed it up and placed back in my bag. I looked back over at the clock, and the nurse had made sure to check on us again. I decided that I would call Dad and get him come collect me earlier, I had enough of people for the day, and he would understand that. He shifted off the bed and I got up to move further away. He looked at me oddly then shrugged his shoulders, understanding now that I had issues with people getting to close to me.

"Going home." I muttered while retrieving my phone.

He nodded and muttered the same thing. The circles under his eyes had gotten a whole lot worse, and I could see he was going to be in an amount of pain tomorrow. Kyuhyun pushed himself off the bed and collected his stuff that had been pushed to the side earlier, and smiled down at me. I looked down at the floor again, biting my lip at the fact that his face had gotten alot worse.

"Sungmin, let's be friends again."

It wasn't a question. It was a statement. I looked up at him for a moment, quizzically trying to find any lie in the statement. He eyes were smiling confidently at me, and I could see no trace of lie. I nodded my head slowly as I looked back at the ground, hoping that I wasn't going to regret this decision. He moved forward as if he was going to try to hug me, back I backed up again, trying to move towards the door, as easy means of escape if needed. He moved back away from me again, knowing I wasn't comfortable and just smiled and extended his hand towards me.

I looked at his hand, as though it was the strangest concept to be held out like that. But I held my breath and extended my own slowly, this was a big step for me, there was a form of trust that I had to give here. My heart raced slightly as looked up into his face nervously. He took my hand calmly and shook it. He smiled reassuringly down at me, quelling my fears just a little. He let go of my hand and I happily took it back, staring at it for just a moment, I shoved it into my pocket and retrieved my phone again.

I dialed Dad as quickly as I could and headed towards the front of the building, Kyuhyun trailing behind doing the exact same thing. I quickly explained to Dad the problems of the day, and he laughed heartily at it. I didn't see what there was to laugh about, but Dad's laughter always made me feel happier when I heard it. He explained he would be there in fifteen minutes. Kyuhyun's would take about twenty to twenty five.

I shuffled my feet a little as I waited for my Father's arrival, Kyuhyun muttering about some game he played online with one of his friends. I just nodded, and asked what was it about, he seemed delighted by the fact that  Ihad inquired about the game. He went on and on about it, I had no idea what the hell he was talking about honestly, it was confusing. There was mentions of mutants, a nuclear apocolypse and aliens, I don't know, it was all weird. He smiled away happily just as Dad got there in the truck.

"Bye Sungmin, see you tomorrow." He waved happily as I climbed into the roaring machine in front of me.

"We'll see." I muttered as he looked at me perplexed for the moment, then smiled as brightly as ever.

Dad looked over the dash towards Kyuhyun, and pissed himself laughing once he got a good look at Kyuhyun's racoon like eyes, starting to appear really badly. I felt my face blaze up like a tomato as Dad howled like a hyena, I could hear Kyuhyun chuckling softly at how ridiculous Dad look, laughing with his head thrown back like that. I closed the door, trying to get Dad to calm down from his laughing fit. Dad rolled down the windows, and whistled to get Kyuhyun's full attention.

"Next time he'll probably break it by accident if you scare him like that again. Believe me, I have taken one to many punches to face to know the kind of damage he can do." Dad howled again.

"Wow, you didn't learn after the first time?" Kyuhyun laughed to my dismay

"What can I say kid, I'm slow to learn." He laughed again winding up the windows, as Kyuhyun waved to me.

Dad was happy to see I had made a new friend again, until I told him I had already kind of knew him when were kids. He nodded and told me either way it was good to see me talking to other people instead of hiding from them, but he did know my limits when it came to how much interaction I could stand.