Card I

Tarot Card

It was the most ridiculous thing she ever heard. No, she can never find it in herself to believe such things as magic, witchcraft or any other things that can never be explained by science.

But all she can do was roll her eyes whenever her mother asks her to go to this old woman whom she believed to be the one putting all sort of absurdities in her mother’s head. She was not a fan of the idea, of depending someone’s life to something as idiotic as cards or amulets or boards or whatever. To her it was just out of human’s stupidity to believe that such things can determine one’s future or even change the course of their life with it. To her, if good fortune comes, that because you worked hard for it and she’s the kind who works her off whenever she wants to accomplish something and not just asks a card or a board or use a necklace for luck. But she love her mother so much that she tries to atleast be civil to the old woman whom her mother goes to for a reading.

For the past 29 years, her mother had been a loyal patron of that Old woman. She doesn’t even know how to call those people who practice such absurdity but coming along with her mother had been one of the usual things she had been doing ever since she can remember but with all those events, she still cant make herself believe in those things.

“Halmoni said youre going to meet your other half this year. Omo, Im so excited for you Taeyeon-ah..” Her mother enthusiastically exclaimed as she held her hands.

“Omma, if my other half did come, its because its time.”  Kim Taeyeon, a surgical doctor, rolled her eyes with how her own mother looks so stupid in her own eyes. “If Halmoni said his name, I’d be more thrilled or probably, I’d even believe her.”  Sarcasm was evident but her mother had used to just ignore her when she does that.

“She..”

“Huh?”

“Halmoni said your other half is a girl.”

“You told her Im gay?”  Taeyeon exclaimed, she never really like it when someone was talking her gender preference, or just talking about her behind her back in general. She doesn’t like gossip girls to be exact.

“Silly, I told you many times, she knew it even before you were born.”

Although Taeyeon seems to be amazed how this Halmoni knew she’s gay even before she came out of the world, still one can guess, and with the way she dresses its more likely that people would think of her as gay. Who wouldn’t, she’s wearing manly clothes, she talks and acts and moves like a boy although at work she tries to look and move as feminine as she can. She’s a professional anyway and being termed as homoual is not something she wants for herself.

So yes, anyone can guess she’s gay and you don’t have to take a double look to guess. Its obvious.

“I need to prepare myself to be a mother in law then.” Taeyeon’s jaw dropped in disbelief of her mother, good thing it was only a one month thing for them, to go all the way in the province just to satisfy her mother’s weird hobby.( If one can call it a hobby.)

They were currently on their way back to the city when she received a call from her colleague, informing her that she’s needed in the hospital.

“You know, I feel bad for Halmoni.” Taeyeon’s eyes turned to her mother who was looking out of the transit bus. She’s been living alone this past few years, well not really alone since she has her trusted people in the house with her but still, I cant imagine living in a place without my family.”

Taeyeon knew her mother’s attachment to the old woman and she also understood why, even after they decided to move to the city after she graduated in college, they still come back once a month in the province and it was just to make sure that the Old woman was okay and the reading part was just a token of gratitude. She knew that their family was close to the Old woman’s family, so she cant really complain anyway.

A week after that, Taeyeon’s family decided to go on a vacation without her. She was blaming it all to her work. She was scheduled to go on a local village tomorrow, an island away from their province, for a summit that will help those who are in need of special care in the province., and she’ll be staying there for two months.

“Youre freaking lucky youre going.” Taeyeon turned her swivel around as she placed her pen in her lab gown’s pocket.

“Ohh you just want to go just so you can avoid Ms.  Lover girl.” Her colleague rolled her eyes. “You mean Ms. Stalker. Seriously. She’s creeping me out already.”

“Wow.. Its already been what, a month or two?”

“Still, she creeps me out.”

“Right.. Right.. But serious talk here, what’s wrong with her? I mean, she’s beautiful, y and well, she’s kinda blessed in the bust, definitely blessed if I may say, so what is it that you don’t like about her?”

“Everything. I don’t know. I just.. I just don’t like her, simple as that.”

“Wow..”  Taeyeon breathe out, but she understood her friend perfectly well, its just like her dislike over her mother’s hobby, something unexplainable.

“Well, good luck on that. You know for us, relationships isn’t that easy, remember that.”

“But that doesn’t mean I have to jump to anyone who’s throwing themselves at me right?”

“Your life, your choice.” Taeyeon stood u and gathered her thing. “Well, gotta go, I need to make my last round for tonight.”

Taeyeon’s things were already organized inside a suitcase that she’s going to bring to the remote island and was just waiting for her colleague to fetch her whom she’s going to stay with for two months when she heard the doorbell rang, thinking it was her colleague she immediately pulled her suitcase with her but only to open the door to a familiar old woman.

A frown on her face was replaced by curiosity as to why the Halmoni was standing in front of her doorway.

“Ahh Halmoni, my mother is not here at the moment but maybe after two weeks, she’ll be here by then.”

The old woman smiled sweetly and affectionately at her. “Im actually here for you my dear.” Taeyeon’s brows creased as the old woman held out a card to her and she somehow know what it is.

Examining the card closely, Taeyeon even flipped it and read what’s written on it. “Be careful of the frozen heart..” She paused and flipped the card again, she was sure it was one of the tarot cards the old woman was using whenever she was doing fortune telling to her mom. “Ehh Halmoni, what should I do with this?” The last two words came out as a whisper when she raised her head and found that the old woman was now nowhere to be found. Taeyeon even stepped out of her door to look around but she didn’t see the old woman anywhere.

A honk of a car horn called her attention.

“Doctor Kim, Ive been honking here for a while now. Are you still not coming?” Taeyeon’s brows dented even more when she heard her colleague said that. She was sure she saw the old woman and she even talked to her. The card was her proof, but how did the old woman disappear that fast?

She pushed the thought at the back of her mind, not really in the mood to think about things that’s not necessary as she slid the card inside her back pack, locking the door behind her before stepping inside her colleague’s car.