~CHAPTER TWO~

My Brother Minseok

Once we arrived back home, Minseok eagerly took out a pork steamed bun and began wolfing it down.

 

I cleared my throat loudly and prepared my MC voice.

 

Time for some evilness.

 

“Watch the dumpling monster scarf down a whole mountain of dumplings in a couple of seconds- It eats the pork dumpling in just a millisecond- Look how it devours the bun, its prey, and be amazed. The dumpling monster is really amazing!”

 

“Really, Minhee-ah? Really?” Minseok glared at me, which was quite an impressive feat since he had the cutest, squishiest cheeks and most adorable face EVER.  

 

 Suddenly, the phone rang shrilly and I rose to get it but Minseok was faster than me, quickly stuffing the rest of the steamed bun in his mouth.

 

“I’ll get it! It might be Abuji.”

 

Our mother passed away at an early age, leaving our father to grieve alone by burying his sadness in his work, leaving us alone to fend ourselves in an empty mansion.

 

However, Minseok and I don’t mind, living alone with only each other. In fact we prefer it this way. I noticed that Minseok was listening attentively on the phone so I flailed my arms around to get his attention. “Who is it?” I mouthed, and he mouthed back “A friend” so I nodded.

 

After many “uh huhs” and “okays” he finally put down the phone and turned to me. “Yah, Minhee-ah, Jongdae’s going to be coming over in 10 minutes.”

 

SH*T. HOLY FREAKING SH*T.

 

Who’s Kim Jongdae, you ask?

Oh, he’s only the most TROUBLE-MAKING, SARCASTIC, EVIL TROLL OUR SCHOOL HAS EVER HAD.

 

How he became friends, no scratch that, BEST friends with Minseok is a complete and utter mystery to me. And because Minseok hangs out with him, it affects Minseok’s image, which affects MY image as well.

 

THIS CANNOT HAPPEN TO THE VALEDICTORIAN OF CLASS 2-1 AND FUTURE STUDENT COUNCIL PRESIDENT, OKAY?!

 

“J-Jongdae is visiting?” Calm down Minhee, it can’t be that bad, can it? He’s just here for a friendly visit.”

 

 

KIM FREAKING JONGDAE IS COMING OVER. WHAT HAVE I DONE TO DESERVE THIS?!

 

“Yeah, and he’ll be bringing a friend along as well.” Minseok was blissfully unaware of my predicament.

 

HOLY SHISUS, WHAT?!

 

Jongdae hangs out with the good-for-nothing troublemakers, who named themselves ‘EXO’ (Horrible name, really), of our school, and ANY friend of his is definitely from that gang.

 

 

“Who is it going to be?”

 

 

“Kris Wu. You know him right? He’s on the basketball team.”

 

 

Oh I know Kris Wu, alright. He’s one of the Chinese exchange students, and apparently, due to his ruggedly handsome looks, he’s been breaking girls’ hearts ever since he stepped foot in this school. I’ve never seen him personally before, and I don’t intend to, either.

 

“Oh, they’re here!”

 

Flack.

 

While Minseok ran off to open the gate, I sighed and flopped onto the couch, covering my eyes with a hand.

 

“Nice legs, Minhee.” Remarked a snide yet strong voice, and I felt the weight near the couch shift. Jongdae.

 

“Whatever, ert.” I got up from my sleeping position and stared at the camel-like teen. He has striking features, and a really powerful singing voice. Too bad he’s a cocky bastard.

 

“Is this your sister?” A deep, husky voice with a bit of an accent sounded, and I turned to the direction of the voice.

 

The owner of the voice must have been blessed by God himself. He had a long face, messy blond hair, strong nose, thick eyebrows and a scowl on his face.

 

I seem to be attracting BOTH trouble and hot boys today.

 

“Yes, I am Minseok’s sister, Kim Minhee.” I immediately regained my composure. I may be many things, but I do NOT act rudely in front of a stranger.

A sizzling hot one at that.

 

“Hm, you do look like Minseok hyung…” He remarked casually and I could feel Jongdae smirking.

 

I grinned evilly.

 

Time to die, attractive camel.

 

“OW!” Jongdae collapsed to ground holding his…ah…part, and I snickered evilly. “She kicked me in the nuts!”

 

“Jongdae-ah, you shouldn’t really mess around.” Minseok popped out of nowhere with his brotherly frown.

 

“But hyung-!”

 

“That’s what happens when a filthy gang member hangs out with my brother.” I could feel Kris’ cool gaze on my back. “Now, if you’ll excuse me.”

 

I grabbed the tub of blueberry ice-cream and a spoon, and strolled into my room, which was not far from the living room, and slammed the door shut behind me.

 

Straight away, I pressed my ear to the door. Some people call it eavesdropping, but eh. I need to know what Minseokkie is up to at school. Probably up to something.

 

I was right.

 

As I was scooping ice-cream from the tub, I halted when a brisk voice I recognized as Kris spoke. “Good, now that she’s out of here, time to get down to business.”.

 

WHAT?!

 

“Kris hyung here is leader of EXO-M,” Jongdae’s voice could be heard clearly, even through the doors. “Even though he’s eight months younger than you and Luhan hyung.”

 

“EXO-M?” Minseok sounded puzzled. “I thought EXO was only one gang?”

 

“Yes, it is, but it is also split into two different sub-groups, EXO-M and EXO-K. EXO-K is the main headquarters of our gang, and consists of six Korean members. EXO-M, on the other hand, is the Chinese counterpart, and is also made up of six members, but only 4 are Chinese, the remaining two are Chinese speaking Koreans. I’m the first Korean member, and we’re looking for another.” Kris dropped off in the middle of the sentence.

 

“…which happens to be you.” Jongdae picked up where Kris left off. “Joonmyeon is the leader of EXO-K, and Kris is the leader of EXO-M. We all decided to have you as the twelfth and final member of EXO. Are you up for it?” Jongdae actually sounded serious for once.

 

I bit back a laugh. Kim Joonmyeon is one of the most hard-working, serious, smartest students our school has ever had. There is absolutely NO way he’s EXO’s leader.

 

Minseok’s hesitant voice brought me back to reality. “So you’re asking me to join Seoul’s most prestigious gang-which could kill me, by the way- and expect me to learn to use knives and guns?”

 

Yes, that’s right, decline their freaking death offer. You can do this, Minseok oppa!

 

“…I’M IN!”

 

Ah, good. He turned the offer down- HOLY SHISUS, WHAT HAS HE DONE?!

 

I had clenched my fists so hard, blood was drawing already. However, I could care less about my palms. What matters right now is Minseok.

 

“However, before you can become a member, there are certain tests you have to undergo.”

 

“Alright. What is it?” Minseok sounded confident.

 

“First of all, you will have to gain everyone’s trust. Secondly, when you have successfully passed the first test, you will have to take part in one of our fights with one of our biggest rival gangs. Thirdly, having been deemed as gang material, you will be given a code name that we use. And last but not least,” It was Jongdae who wavered this time.

 

“You will have to become a full time gang member.” Concluded Kris.

 

“Oh, is that all? It sounds easy.” Minseok sounded relieved.

 

“Meaning a full time gang member means you will have to give up all your free time with your sister and instead spend it with us, and keep it a secret from her as well, even if it means hurting her.”

 

There was a silence, thick as cold custard after that, and having forgotten the melting ice-cream, I hoped they couldn’t hear my wildly pounding heart.

 

After what seemed like an infinity, Minseok spoke up again in a shaky yet self-assured voice.

 

“I’ll join.”