Palpitations

Frozen Heart

Eine
Bloodless death; peaceful slumber



 

Pale white skin like the pureness of snow, slender feline eyes like of a graceful cat; silently and still as one could be he stood on alone on a silent winter night. His eyes fixated on the tall building standing in grandeur compared to the measly facilities that surrounds it. R.D.D. The words in blaring gold shone through the moonless night. In a calm motion, he entered the building by-passing security cameras and devices set up to detect his presence. And the unfortunate souls that passes his path lies in a coffin of ice. The black cloth that covered his whole body appears as the death reaper's garments to the worker of the building and the beauty that they glimpse took their life immediately. Without time for horror or suprise, their fate is sealed on a block of ice. And on the top of the building, like any of the games people played, lied the person whose name written on the reaper's note. 

 

"Good evening, sir" he greeted in a cold monotone. The reaper stood in front of his prey in a motionless and bold manner. The victim, shocked at the very beginning, released a sigh. The prey knew he was hunted and he was wise enough to prepare for his death. "I believe you have settled all your unfinished business"

 

"Yes, well, thank you for the time. Odd, aren't we?" says the victim who has in his hands the fate of the nation. Odd was the right word for the situation. The man knew of his fate but he was calm and peaceful, fright and panic not on his system. "You still have time? Can we chat for a bit? You see, it's been a long time since I found a good listener for my talks."

 

"Is that a request, sir?" the hunter asked as he walked towards his prey. The man nodded, his silver hair visible under the moonlight. "An hour, sir."

 

"You're very different from your description. I envisioned a more, well, ruthless and barbaric muscled man. Oh well, do take a seat. An hour would do. Worry not, I won't try any tricks during our chat" 

 

"I prefer standing, sir." the hunter replied, obstinate about his current position. The man sighed as he shifted on his seat. Odd pair, they truly are. 

 

"I believe we should start with introduction but mine is not needed. Yours is a must and I assume I have the right to at least know the name of my assailant" the minister smiled under his situation, taking the hunter in surprise. 

 

"Xiumin, sir. That is what they call me. My name is Xiumin, sir" the hunter answered in full honesty. An honest kid. The  minister thought. He pondered over whatever the circumstances his assailant have. "Excuse me for being rude sir but if you so allow me may I be honored to ask a question?"

 

"You're very formal, aren't you Xiumin? Of course, go on, go on" 

 

"Why are you not afraid of me, sir? I have seen many man of your stature and though they act calm the palpitations of their heart tells otherwise, but yours, sir, is as calm as one can be in face of a long sleep"

 

"Right. I am even shock about it myself. But it is the same with you isn't it? Why do you trust my words? Who knows? I may have called back up within an hour to save me"

 

"I am sure you haven't done that, sir. You could have done exactly that a month ago but your refusal for shelter proved that you have accepted your fate" at the humble answer of the hunter, the prey laughed. He was right. He accepted his fate a month ago, no ever since he stumbled upon that codex. He was sure of his death but he really didn't envision it for him to talk to his killer in merriment.

 

"I see. I may not be afraid of you exactly because I have embraced my fate or because it is you who will take my life. That may be so. As I have answered your question, allow me to ask you a question. Why do you do this?"

 

"Because it was programmed. Isn't it what normals exactly expected of us? I just perform my duty, sir"

 

"A duty you say? A duty to where?" The hunter took his time to answer the question. His chocolate orbs shone on the dark room as it stared straight at his victim whose life he can always take any minute. But he chose to answer.

 

"A duty to whatever is left for us in this world" The prey closed his eyes and sighed. This man is exactly the consequences of the foolishness of humanity. This man is the price that they pay for their closed and ignorant minds. And this is exactly the retribution he has to face for his stupidity. He was wrong but he hadn't recognized it. It is exactly that. 

 

"I see, I see. Then, one more last request. Can you deliver an item for me?" This is a bet. The minister thought. He could just leave it be and let the police discover it but he knew that it'll only cause disaster and yet he cannot also let it be placed on the dark. So he put his trust on this hunter that became a monster because of human's cruelty. 

 

"An item , sir?" the hunter eyed the box laid in the table. It's a small box of silver about the size of his palm. The minister smiled and nodded. "Very well, sir. To whom shall I give this to?"

 

"A man named Wu Han Xi and can I write a last will? Like how they should held my funeral? I am very specific in this kind of things. Like what they should and shouldn;t wear. It'll be finish immediately really" The prey is a bundle of energy. The hunter concluded. He nodded as he took the silver box and placed it on his pocket. He waited for the prey to finish his will. "Will I really appear to be sleeping if I just do it like this?" The minister laid back on his chair and closed his eyes and a smile, gentle and calm, graced his old features. It's as if all his worries has been lifted from him. And with just a flick of the hunters hand and the slight change of the color of his eyes, the prey had his time stopped into that state until one solves the riddle. 

 

"Yes, sir. You appear to be sleeping. Farewell, sir, it was an honor to be of your acquaintance" the hunter whispered in the soft night breeze before he walked out of the room leaving no trace of his presence anywhere. Just the luxurious room and the peacefully sleeping minister. The will on his table and the mark of the snow.