Faulty Lies

September 24th
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
I smile at him, even though he’s not looking at me. He’s waiting on my answer patiently, but I’m thinking of the consequences. If I told the truth, he would pity me and leave me to die. Or if I lied, the truth would come out eventually.   Should I just reveal  it all and get it out of my system?   Enough with the games?   “Me?”, I scoffed gently,”I have a flu. It’s quite like a cold.”   No, I’m not done with the games. I’ll make sure the truth comes out in the end. I smile for a second, dropping arms to the side. He turns around slowly, scanning me with those eyes as if I was an unusual item. Then, he walks away.   I’m caught off guard….how could he just leave? But then again, we were barely even acquaintances to even be considered as friends. Why bother even chasing after him? I sit back in my chair, looking at the old man’s generous deed. He was going to die for his loved ones….something I never encountered before. I guess the one that was donated to me counted…right? The little kid looked so happy, just like Naeun. Just like her. I miss her…I wonder if she’s doing alright. Getting bored of the lobby for the 75th time, I stood up, readying to go play with the sick kids. But he was still here.   Donghae was standing by the office desk, with his eyes closed. The nurses watched him, fawning over his good looks. For me, I wouldn’t bother. Love isn’t in my bucket list… I needed a liver that was MY bucket list currently. I keep walking as I watch him space out in his own world. Right when I am about to pass him, he opens his mouth slightly.   “I’ll see you around. Im Yoona?”, He said my name as it was a joke.   I am caught off guard again, no longer walking anymore. I am stuck, planted on the ground. How…How did he know my name? I, now, had a renewed interest in him…whether it was good or bad. How did he know my name? There was no point in our conversation where he asked me my name. Should I turn back and ask?   No.   No. Walk away…he doesn’t care anyways. He’s just a stranger you met….   I shake off the weird feelings before entering the room full of kids. I already forgotten about what’s his name. The minute I opened the door, many of the kids shouted my name in happiness. Taemin runs up to me with a smile on his face, while his girlfriend scoffs at the sound of my footsteps. I ruffled his hair as a gesture of a hello. His girlfriend, Eunji, who is obviously jealous, smiles anyway at my arrival. For some reason, I couldn’t smile back. There was one child that was missing from the group. Naeun. My best friend…..where I’m wondering how she’s doing.   For a reason… I will try to smile for Naeun. I will try my best so she can fight her way through hers.   After a while of playing and telling stories to the kids, the sun went down and I forgotten to eat. It was a bit over their bedtime as well. I bid them goodbye and I would see them tomorrow. Before I left, Taemin tugged my sleeve and made me lean down. He sealed a kiss on my forehead and told me not to worry about anything else or I would get worry lines like his mother. It made me giggle a bit after his mother overreacted at his frank honesty.   It was already nine o’clock… and no news of Naeun. It would be silly of me to walk around without a planned path, but I did it anyways. I was happy that was…it was the only freedom I had without anyone stopping me. I could just say I needed to go to the bathroom or something clever. Nurse Bora wasn’t on shift on nights so I wasn’t worried for a scolding. So, there I was on the fourth floor where Naeun resided. I walked and paced around the floor, waiting for her news of her surgery. But no matter how much I walked or how much time I did… there was no one there to inform me. Everyone was asleep, but me. The nurses busied themselves with papers and work while doctors took on the sick people.    To ease my mind, I walked up a flight of stairs… fifth floor. For as long as I have lived in the hospital, I always strayed away from the fifth floor. It was the floor that I used to reside in and the floor doctor Choi used to boss people around at. Now, he’s wiser and bossier. Walking through the hallways, reminded me of past memories I liked to erase from my mind.  What was my room number again? It was room 543…   I look for my room as I pass each door I encounter. My heartbeat grew faster as I reach for my old memories before me. I stood before the room of every emotion I seemed to express at once. Room 543. I turn the knob slowly and opened the door. With the switch of the light, the memories flowed through me like a speed of light. I thought I buried the hurtful memories a while ago, but they are new and refreshed.   The room was styled the same. It was like the other hospital rooms, but I could feel how different it felt just being in that room. All the memories came back to alive, The moment I saw that annoyance on my mother’s face, my father’s tears, my own tears, our happiness, and my regret. Everything I felt back then, came back this night.   I stared at the room, remembering each moment spent with my father. That only left me wondering, where was he?   “Yoona. Are you alright?”,He held my hand in his. Looking upon his rough face, I could tell that he was really worried about me. I knew if I didn’t survive, he wouldn’t survive without me.    “Yeah. It just hurts a little bit to move around.”, I showed him my smile.   “That’s good.”, He wiped a tear that manage to find its way out.   Everything was okay for a while. I managed to get out of the hospital and spend my life with my dad. I went through middle school and high school, on the stage with high honors as I thank my dad for each moment. I even gotten into Violin because of him. My first stage that I performed, he was there. Every performance after that one, I only looked for him. After graduating high school, I was left the decision to either go away for college or follow my dad to make a family business.   But we ran into trouble before I could even think.   Financial troubles from long ago.   I didn’t realize that my dad sacrificed so much for me until they came. My father tried to keep up with the bills and didn’t tell me when he failed to pay on time. The hospital bill, Violin lessons, school expenses, and most of all our lovely house. The people in the black suits came and took everything we owned. But my father didn’t care as long as they didn’t take me. But I cared.   What were we supposed to live on? Why was I such a burden towards him? Mom was right…I was useless. I was sick and useless.   “Yoona?”, a voice behind me made me get back into reality.   I shook my head to get rid of the memories before I turned around and saw that stood before me was Lee Donghae. Why was he here? I hesitate to answer my own name as I stare at his appearance. He was smiling at me and had a nicer attitude than before.   “Are you alright? I’m sorry about before!”, He grinned from ear to ear as he scratched his head.   He definitely had a different attitude. It was like he wasn’t the same guy. I returned the smile as I stepped outside of the room. I guess he grew curious of what I have been doing because he entered the room and sat on the bed. My eyes widen at his actions. Isn’t it rude to just jump on beds like that if there is a guest?   “Isn’t this a patient’s bed? It’s kind of rude for you to mess up the bed.”, I commented as I leaned my head on the doorway.   He shook his head lightly,”This is actually my room. I reside here currently.”   “Oh.”, is all I said, but I had so many thoughts to be verbal about.   “Is it wrong?”, He stood up from the bed.   I shook my head lightly, “No. Sorry for breaking and entering your room.”   Donghae chuckled lightly and then stopped,”Why did you try to find my room?”   Right…why did I try to find my old room? Old memories should stay in the past…why am I digging it up? So, I lied to him like I lied to everyone else.   “Oh, I remembered that a patient resided on this floor and I couldn’t remember what room number it was. It was definitely on this floor, but I guess —“   “You don’t have to explain.”, He smiled as he laid his head on the bed.   “ — was wrong.”, I managed to finish my sentence.   “So, are you going to stand there or come in?”   Has he changed already? His expression differed so much than before.  I stood there observing his behavior.. Why was he acting so different around me? No one can be a cold guy and then the next, a happy outgoing person. Something didn’t make sense, but did I care? No. Well, not just yet.   “I rather not. I..uh..have things to do.”, I tried to find an excuse as fast as I could. But he caught my lie.   “Doing what?”, He asked with curiosity in his tone of voice as he got off the bed.   “I’m trying to…”   “You don’t need to explain.”, He walked passed me, leaving a breeze of his cologne or his scent in the air.   What was going on? Wasn’t he the one that asked me what I was doing and now he’s acting so….. There isn’t a word to describe how he is. I watch him as he leaves the room unopened and goes into the empty hallway. What was going on….   Suddenly, he calls my name   ….at the same time as I spot Nurse Bora running toward my direction.    “Yoona.”, Nurse Bora called me over to her. She wore her casual clothes and her face was full of worry. Not to mention, her eyes were red….and her face was flushed. Did something serious happen?   “Hey.”,  I said waving at her smiling. Donghae followed behind me smiling as well. He seemed to change every second…is it just me?   “Who’s this?”, She looked at the unfamiliar face.   “This is just a friend.”,    “I have urgent news. i don’t know how to tell you.”   “It’s cool. Tell me.”, I shrugged my shoulders, waiting for her news.   “Naeun…Naeun”   “What about her?”, I asked urgently, desperately needing news from her. My lips quivering for an answer from her. Was she alright? Is she …. She can’t be.   “She passed away."   I drop my arms to my side for a second, trying to process what was happening at the moment. It can’t be true. It must be fake. A hand came toward me, trying to comfort my overwhelming emotions. How could this happen? I move the hand from me, and I run. I run toward my best friend.    My best friend, Naeun, has to be alive. The doctors are just playing me. Naeun must be joking.    I didn’t bother taking the elevator that one of the nurses opened for me. I headed toward the stairs, unable to hear any shouting of my name. Please Naeun wait for me. Don’t go. Once I reached her surgery room, I tried to bust in, but the nurses wouldn’t let me. It was for family members only.    But she was my best friend, the one I called my sister.   I screamed them to let me go and see her, but they shook their head. Even her mother shook her head. That made me stop. I tried to compose myself the best I could. The nurses were no longer needed. So, I made my way to the window so I could see her. Naeun was sleeping peacefully or that’s how i would want to interpret it. I watch as she laid there still without a heartbeat.    I wanted to cry this time and show my weakness, just seeing her so lifeless.   The more I looked at her, the more I wanted to run away from this horrible hospital. How could they take away my only friend? She was the only reason why I kept going and why I was alive. I dropped my eyes to my wrist where the bracelet she given me earlier was. I felt how cold the bracelet was and the locket bothered me. Should I look at it and repeat the welled up tears? And so I did. I opened the locket that showed a picture of the two of us ever so happily. Her smile in
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter