The Gamble

All In

 

“Soo …” Jessica softly calls out to the person kneeling near the altar. The other girl’s back faces Jessica and she appears to be praying to the grand cross in the front of the room.

 

Upon hearing her name, Sooyoung opens her eyes and smiles, “You found me.”

 

Slowly, Sooyoung rises from the kneeling cushion and turns back to face Jessica. They are alone in this dimly lit church. They start to make deliberate and gradual steps toward each other until they are just an arm-length away.

 

“I never thought that I would really meet an angel, even in church.” Sooyoung chuckles softly.

 

“Stop joking around. Sunny and Hyomin told us everything.” Jessica keeps her eyes on Sooyoung’s, “Why didn’t you say anything? Why did you lie to everyone … to me?”

 

“The first time I ever saw you, you had a far away look in your eyes …” Sooyoung replies in a sing song voice, “and then heaven’s light shined down upon you … and the whole room brightened with your smile.”

 

Jessica remains quietly and slightly puzzled by Sooyoung’s avoidance of her questions.

 

“The first time I met you here, you came with your family … you sat here, at this bench.” Sooyoung points to the second row in the pew. “You were grumpy because you were forced to wake up on an early Sunday morning.”

Sooyoung reaches out and takes Jessica’s hand, leading her over to the specific pew. She gently presses the Princess’ shoulders down so that the smaller girl has to sit. Then, she makes her way to the front of the room, where the podium stands.

 

“As part of the church choir, I had the entire view of the room. I stood right … here.” Sooyoung cutely hops into her place and looks back to Jessica. She beams with happiness, but her eyes seem so sad, “I did what I always did, I people watched while I sang … but, for the first and only time in my entire church choir career, I forgot the hymns.”

 

Jessica sits quietly watching Sooyoung. She is captivated by her friend’s expression and words. Unconsciously, her heart aches and she feels a lump at when she reminisces about past events.

 

“I thought I saw the grace of God when you smiled. You caught me staring at you and instead of looking away, you smiled. My mind went blank and the hymns that I’ve sang a hundred times before, just evaporated.” Sooyoung blushes hotly as her voice cracks. “I fell in love with you even before I spoke to you.”

 

Jessica remains expressionless but her hands grip the edge of seat until her knuckles turn white.

 

“We both became SM trainees not long afterward and I felt as if my prayers were answered. We became close friends, you and I, but all I could think about was how I wanted to be more than friends. How could God bless me with you in my life, but make me love you in this unnatural way? I asked him repeatedly.” Now the tears start to flow from Sooyoung’s eyes. She laughs softly as she wipes her cheeks, “Sorry …”

 

Jessica’s lower lip quivers and she shakes her head, “It’s okay.”

 

“I was so conflicted with my feelings, I decided that my infatuation was unhealthy and could never be. So I auditioned for the Korea-Japan Ultra Idol Duo Audition … so that I could keep myself away from you.” Sooyoung laughs bitterly, “But that didn’t turn out as I planned, did it?”

 

Jessica’s lips press together as she shakes her head.

 

“I thought I would be alright when I returned, even though my year away from you was the most miserable time of my life. I decided that I will remain your closest and most loyal friend, even if I cannot be with you as my heart’s desire.”

 

“Soo …” Jessica starts to speak, but Sooyoung holds a hand up for her silence.

 

“Just a bit more, please, Sica.” Sooyoung pleads with a saddened smile. “In the years that followed, we were always together and we eventually made it into the same group, where we met seven other wonderful girls. But, no matter how many people I met or how I tried to distract myself with work, you are my only love.”

 

Sooyoung wipes her mostly dried tears as she sniffles softly. “Everyone see you as the Ice Princess, but to me you are the most passionate person I’ve met. You just express your affection through violence and pain, so that the person receiving would feel it.”

 

Sooyoung’s comment causes a soft and quick laugh from Jessica.

 

Even the Shikshin smiles a little. “I love you, Jung Jessica. I love you more than I can bear. I know you will not feel the same way … and I’m selfish for telling you this, knowing that. But I cannot stand this ironic fate anymore. Fate continually puts me and you together, but I am in no position to ask for your love.” Sooyoung’s smile quickly fades as more tears stain her adorable, round cheeks.

 

“Everyday I prayed for the strength to endure my façade so that I can continue to see you smile and dwell in your presence. Yet my cowardly and selfish heart cannot sustain more pain from hiding this secret. You can reject or accept me as I am, because I will love you for the rest of my life. My love is yours …”

 

Sooyoung breaks down and cries, her tears fall freely and wet her shirt. Quickly, she turns her back to Jessica, so the girl will not see her acting so weakly. Her shoulders shiver as she cries her heart out. Her chest pains with each heave, but for some reason, she feels it is not longer heavy. She is crying for her pain, but is happy to have told Jessica her feelings.

 

“I’m so sorry …” Sooyoung starts to apologize again, but stops when a pair of arms encircles her waist.

 

“Pabo.” Jessica presses her front against Sooyoung’s back and rests her cheek against the tall girl’s shoulder blade.

 

“I’m sorry …” Sooyoung bawls harder.

 

“You would have saved yourself so much pain and torment had you told me this earlier.” Jessica nuzzles her cheek and buries her face against Sooyoung’s back. She feels wet drops of tears on her arm, which makes her squeeze Sooyoung harder.

 

“I should’ve …” Sooyoung blubbers, unable to complete her words.

 

“You would have saved me so much pain and torment had you told me this earlier.”

 

Sooyoung sobs quietly as she tries to comprehend what Jessica just said. She picks up the gentle shivering of Jessica’s body and the soft sniffles here and there. She feels a slight coolness on her back as she assumes Jessica’s tears are wetting her shirt.

 

“What are you saying, Sica?”

 

Only quiet whimpers reply to Sooyoung. She tries to turn around, but strong Jessica holds her in place.

“I-I’m saying that … that I l-love … you … too …” Jessica cries audibly, “I was happy to be with you when we debuted with Girl’s Generation. But then I soon had to vie for your attention along with seven other girls. Your affection did not belong to only me anymore … it was shared!”

 

Sooyoung wipes her tears away as she takes the quiet role this time.

 

“You used to tuck my hair behind my ear and say that I’m beautiful. You used to share your happiness and sadness with me. For better or worse, we were together, just you and me. I did not appreciate those times until we debuted and you found yourself in company of seven other pretty girls.”

 

Suddenly, Jessica lets go of Sooyoung and just as the taller girl is about to turn back to face her princess, she feels a sharp pain on her shin.

 

“Aiya!” Sooyoung cries and hops on one foot as she tucks up her shin.

 

“You said you only love me, how dare you give your attention to other girls?!” Jessica cries and slaps Sooyoung’s , making the Shikshin jump.

 

“Sica! Sica! Stop!” Sooyoung miraculously dodges another kick aimed at her other shin.

 

“You were even lovey dovey with Hyomin in front of me! Did you think of how I would feel? Did you once think about my feelings?” Jessica stops her assault and just cries with her head down.

 

Sooyoung hesitates before she grabs her woman and pulls her into a hug. Jessica’s head rests comfortable on Sooyoung’s chest.

 

“I’m sorry I was not considerate … your love was but a shadow of a thought … a deeply repressed dream that I did not want to entertain my hopes with … in fear of the great pain such a delusional thought would cause me.” Sooyoung’s smooth voice and gentle back calm Jessica a little.

 

“I promise to be yours and only yours, always and forever.” Sooyoung leans back and lifts Jessica’s chin up. “Will you be mine?”

 

“…” Jessica looks into Sooyoung’s red and puffy, yet earnest eyes. She can see the sincerity and love in those mocha colored orbs. “I will … I am yours! I’m all yours!” Jessica exclaims and throws her arms around Sooyoung’s neck.

 

Sooyoung smiles tearfully, at least they are joyful tears, and hugs Jessica tightly. She happily spins around once and buries her face into the crook of Jessica’s neck. “Thank you …” she breaths against her new girlfriend’s skin.

 

“Now …” Sooyoung leans away and breaks the hug, “if you will give me a moment …” she steps back from Jessica, leaving the other girl looking confused. “I need to do this …”

 

Sooyoung takes several steps toward a more open area before she jumps up and down. “I got the girl!” She screams loudly and even tries to tumble, “I got the girl!” She laughs and jumps again, doing what looks like jumping-jacks.

 

This goes on for several minutes, much to Jessica’s amusement. One or two people entered the church, but then walked right back out. Eventually, the Shikshin is out of breath due to her exhaustion.

 

“Alright … now that you’ve done your thing,” Jessica approaches Sooyoung, “I can do mine.” She gently the panting girl’s cheeks. She closes the distance between them and gently presses her lips against the younger girl.

 

At first, they start with light butterfly kisses, where they shyly and briefly meet each other’s lips. Both are still amazed by this surreal feeling that they cannot shake. Their light pecks linger until Jessica captures Sooyoung’s lower lip firmly between hers. She briefly les on the other girl’s lip before letting it go with a quiet smack.

 

A slight pause gives Sooyoung an opportunity to wet her lips. She tilts her head and leans more against the smaller girl. She hugs and pulls Jessica upward a bit, so she does not have to crane her neck down as much. Their kisses evolve into more a more deepened one, which seems to go on forever, until they have to part for air.

 

Sooyoung touches her lips afterward while Jessica hers. “I got the girl, too.” Jessica slyly smiles.

 

“Tell me I’m not dreaming or hallucinating.”

 

“Choi Sooyoung, you’re not dreaming or hallucinating. I am yours now, so you better not give your attention to other girls. Don’t you dare help other people with their love life anymore! I was about to explode from jealousy!” Jessica hits Sooyoung on the side of her arm.

 

“But … it works didn’t it?” Sooyoung winces and rubs her arm.

 

“Yes, but I don’t like it.”

 

“But … my intention wasn’t just to help them … mainly it us for me … for us.” Sooyoung blushes and turns her face to the side, “I gambled that you might get jealous. I gambled would know where to find me. I gambled that you might just accept my feelings and still be my friend. I gambled our friendship and group … for you. I went all in.”

 

Jessica’s cheeks get redder and darker as she listens to her tall lover.

 

“I don’t know where you learned to say all these sweet things …” Jessica mumbles and rests her cheek against Sooyoung’s chest, “but thank you for taking a chance for us.”


 

Deeply embraced in each other’s warmth, they remained at the church and talked to each other until sunrise. Occasionally, there were kisses exchanged, too, of course. In the morning, they held hands and walked back to their dorm.


Yea ... I am watching clips of SM Town NYC ... and I'm too jealous!

Anyways, I was going to delay this update 'til this weekend so I can study for this huge exam that I have on Thursday ... but I couldn't stay away from Soosica after I have delayed them for so long!

Thanks everyone for reading! I hope to wrap it all up within 1-2 chapter(s)