2/2

Unspoken (I love you. I Always Will.)

It’s been a year since Chanyeol and Baekhyun started being together. They visited the orphanage everyday which really made the children happy. Chanyeol was also frequent in Baekhyun’s house. It’s almost as if it’s his own house. He didn’t want to leave Baekhyun. Not after what he did.

It was Saturday. Meaning, it’s his and Baekhyun’s free day.

Baekhyun was at the kitchen, cooking some lunch when Chanyeol sneaked behind him and hugged him by the waist. Baekhyun jumped a bit from the surprise.

“Mmm.” Chanyeol smiled when the aroma of Baekhyun’s cooking entered his nose. Baekhyun turned his head to look at Chanyeol and smiled back. Chanyeol took this as an opportunity to kiss Baekhyun on the lips. Baekhyun was surprised so he playfully slapped Chanyeol’s shoulder in which the giant responded with a laugh.

A minute later…

“Ah!” Chanyeol said and took hold of his shoulder.

Baekhyun turned around only to witness Chanyeol’s pained face.

“What’s wrong?”

“My shoulder’s hurt—Ah!” Chanyeol exclaimed. “Now my arms hurt.” He pouted.

“What’s with you?” Baekhyun asked.

Chanyeol shook his head. “I think this is from last night. You were pretty wild.” He grinned. Baekhyun pushed him.

“You were! Not me!” Baekhyun blushed. “Why don’t you go upstairs? I’ll just bring you your lunch.”

“Are you sure?” Baekhyun nodded. “Okay. Thanks, Baek.” He added and kissed Baekhyun’s forehead.

The walk upstairs towards Baekhyun’s room was painfully slow. When he arrived, he collapsed on the bed. His hands were clammy and his breathings were rapid. It’s as if he’s sharing his breath with someone else.

He sighed and covered his eyes with his one arm. Not now, please.

~*~*~

 

Chanyeol discovered his illness long time ago. He’s suffering from Ischemic Heart Disease. He didn’t know where he got that or how he got that. All he knows is that it’s getting worse and he might not live long. He learned about his illness before he met Baekhyun. But he never dared to tell Baekhyun.

He thinks he needs to tell Baekhyun now. He can’t just leave Baekhyun clueless.

One time, when they were watching some random romance movie on TV, Chanyeol decided it was best to tell Baekhyun now.

When he decided to speak, the girl protagonist on the movie started crying because the male protagonist died. Chanyeol gulped because Baekhyun started crying too.

“Isn’t it sad?” Baekhyun sobbed.

Chanyeol chuckled nervously and pulled Baekhyun towards his chest.

Okay. Definitely not the right time.

~*~*~

 

A week before Baekhyun’s recital, Baekhyun started noticing something different from Chanyeol. Chanyeol got skinnier. His body pains (specifically his shoulders and arms) are frequent even though they didn’t make love the night before. Baekhyun started to get worried but Chanyeol just told him that he’s fine.

It was Sunday. The couple decided to go at the park and play. They were out riding their bicycles and then they stopped for a snack. They talked and talked, of course Chanyeol making jokes which is successful in making Baekhyun laugh.

Afternoon came and both of them decided to play basketball. Even though Baekhyun didn’t know how to play, he still tried nonetheless. In the end, Chanyeol won. Baekhyun wasn’t at all disappointed. He’s even proud of his boyfriend.

They found a nearby bench and there they both sat. Few minutes later, Chanyeol felt the same pain coming back. Chanyeol’s panting very hard and he felt the same pain on his shoulders and arms. His whole body is sweating. Baekhyun was telling a joke and he tried to laugh so his boyfriend wouldn’t notice. But of course, Baekhyun’s not that naïve.

“What’s wrong?” He asked.

“Muscle pain. I should’ve warmed up before playing.” Chanyeol replied.

“Do you want to go back now?” Baekhyun asked, starting to worry.

“No, no. Let’s stay here for a while.” Chanyeol smiled.

They just sat there, both of them looking above. Thay realized it’s already dark. But neither of them cared. Sitting close to each other and feeling each other’s presence was all that mattered.

Chanyeol suddenly called Baekhyun’s attention to which the older replied by looking at him.

“About your song,” Chanyeol started.

“What about it?”

“I finished it.” He smiled.

“You did?” Excitement was abundant in Baekhyun’s eyes.

Chanyeol hummed and nodded. “I thinking of doing the song with you. Well, if you want to. Since it’s your song. Y’know I don’t want to force you—“ Chanyeol wasn’t able to finish his statement because Baekhyun suddenly kissed him. And he was smiling.

Baekhyun pulled away after a minute, still smiling. “I would love to.”

~*~*~

 

Baekhyun was standing at the backstage, his hands shaking from nervousness. Chanyeol can’t help but chuckle. Baekhyun’s really cute even at situations like this. Chanyeol took his boyfriend’s hands in his.

“You’re good. Don’t be nervous.” Chanyeol smiled and kissed the back of his palm.

“Thank you.” Baekhyun smiled.

Baekhyun’s name was called which means he has to perform now. Chanyeol let go of his hand and pecked him in the lips for good luck. Baekhyun’s now at the center of the stage, bowing to the crowd before proceeding to his piano.

Chanyeol was smiling proudly. Baekhyun really looked beautiful even from afar. He looked even more beautiful while playing the piano. More beautiful than the melody he’s making.

In the midst of Baekhyun’s performance, Chanyeol felt a sharp pang on the chest. He automatically grasped his chest. Later on, his breathing became rapid. He felt pain on the left side of his body and his whole body became sweaty. It lasted for about almost 5 minutes, and Chanyeol couldn’t take it anymore. Not now, please. Not now.

He was walking away from the stage but halfway through it, he out.

~*~*~

 

When Chanyeol woke up, he didn’t expect to see Baekhyun crying. He looked around and all he can see is white. White walls, white ceiling. He didn’t know when, but he started crying too. He didn’t hold back his tears now. He really wanted to cry.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Baekhyun sobbed.

There was a lump in his throat. He can’t trust himself to speak so he replied using sign languages.

“I’m sorry. I just don’t want you to worry.” He replied, tears gushing down his face.

“You should’ve told me. You should have.” Baekhyun cried.

Chanyeol pulled Baekhyun closer and hugged him. “I’m sorry.” He said.

~*~*~

 

For the next few weeks, it went on like that. Chanyeol never left the hospital. His group of friends came to visit him often. Kyungsoo and Luhan even cried. Baekhyun never left Chanyeol’s side. He took care of him from day to night. He even refused when Yura suggested that he should go home.

It got worse. Chanyeol grew weary and he became skinnier. Chanyeol’s been feeling nauseous. Sometimes he vomits, sometimes he doesn’t. Baekhyun has to bring lots of towel because Chanyeol’s sweating hard. Chanyeol’s experiencing tachypnea and Baekhyun has to rush to his aid to calm him down. For other people, it’s tiring, really. But Baekhyun never once felt weary when it came to Chanyeol. He’ll do anything for Chanyeol.

When Kyungsoo and Jongin decided to visit again, this time, Chanyeol asked them to do a simple favor. When Chanyeol told them about it, Kyungsoo was excited but Jongin was uncertain. What if Baekhyun declines? But Chanyeol told him to just comply. His rope is getting shorter anyway so at least grant his last wish. Kyungsoo slapped him in the head when Chanyeol said that.

 

The next morning, Baekhyun was up early. He prepared Chanyeol some coffee and breakfast. He helped Chanyeol to sit and started feeding him. Chanyeol said he can do it by himself but Baekhyun was persistent.

“You should eat more. You’re getting skinnier and skinnier each day.” Baekhyun said.

“But I’m eating almost all of the food listed in the food pyramid.” Chanyeol pouted.

Baekhyun chuckled and flicked his lips lightly. “That’s not enough. You need to eat more and more and fight your sickness, okay? I will fight with you. We will win this together.” He smiled and flashed his eyesmile.

Chanyeol smiled but he can’t help but feel sad. He hopes this wouldn’t be the last time he sees Baekhyun’s precious smile.

 

When the afternoon rolled in, Kyungsoo, Jongin, Luhan, Sehun, Yura and some kids from the orphanage came to visit Chanyeol which surprised Baekhyun. It was somehow crowded but neither of the group cared. Soon, a priest came in, in which again, surprised Baekhyun. He thought he came to pray for Chanyeol but he guessed wrong.

The group settled on the corners of the room, watching the couple. Baekhyun was flustered. What’s happening?

Then the priest started saying things about this and that, and that’s when Baekhyun realized what’s happening.

They’re getting married.

Baekhyun didn’t even realize that he’s already crying. This is all of a sudden but he felt happy.

Now, it was already time for exchanging of vows.

“Baekhyun, look at me.” Chanyeol said. He smiled. He figured he’d used sign languages since he rarely use it because Baekhyun can understand him. But he thought of using it now.

“I know this is all of a sudden. I know you’re shocked by this. I thought about this a lot. I just don’t know how to say it. Baek, I don’t know how you did it but I fell for you in an instant. Your eyes tells a million promise and your smile can light up the whole town. I want to be bonded to you, Baekhyun. I want you to carry my name. I want the whole world to know you, soon to be Park Baekhyun, are mine. I love you, Baekhyun. I always will.” Chanyeol smiled, his eyes watering.

Now, it’s time for Baekhyun to say his vows. “I’m really, really surprised by this Chanyeol. You, you stupid yoda, are full of surprises. I have thought about this a lot, too. But I don’t want to bring this up because you might think that I’m pressuring you. I don’t know when we started agreeing about me carrying your surname but I guess I’ll have to grant your wish.” He chuckled. “I want to be bonded to you too, Chanyeol. I’ll carry your name. I’ll always be yours. I’ll be your Park Baekhyun. I love you too, Chanyeol and I always will.” He completed, tears streaming down from his eyes.

The group didn’t know what the two were talking about but they can never deny the happiness glistening from their eyes.

Chanyeol called one of the kids and the little kid handed him a ring.

“Do you remember this ring? You gave this back to me when we fought.” He smiled. “Baekhyun, I give you this ring as a symbol of our vows, with all that I am, and all that I have, I honor you.” He added and slipped the ring through Baekhyun’s ring finger.

“Chanyeol, I give you this ring as a symbol of our vows, with all that I am, and all that I have, I honor you.” Baekhyun said and did the same thing to Chanyeol.

The presiding priest started talking again about this and that, and finally he pronounced the now wedded couple. Of course the priest didn’t have to say the last part because Chanyeol already kissed Baekhyun – the part where Kyungsoo and Luhan cried the most.

After finishing the wedding ceremony, they ate and the priest left afterwards. He said he still has something to do so the newly wedded couple and the group thanked him before he left.

They talked about the ceremony the whole afternoon. Baekhyun can’t stop but blush about their comments. Chanyeol just laughed with them. But he can never deny the sadness bubbling inside him. He was happy that he was already marked as Baekhyun’s. At least when he dies, the crowd will know that he was once Baekhyun’s husband, if Baekhyun decides to remarry. Chanyeol’s fine with Baekhyun remarrying. He doesn’t want to hold Baekhyun back. Whatever makes his Baekhyun happy.

By the evening, Chanyeol felt very weak. And by very weak, I mean really, really weak. His shoulders and arms are aching and he really can’t bare it. His sweating really hard and he’s been vomiting the next few minutes. His breathings were rapid; Baekhyun had to call the nurse to rush to his aid.

Chanyeol slightly calmed down. Now he wanted to make his final request. To sing Baekhyun’s song.

In the middle of the night, Chanyeol and Baekhyun were still awake. Chanyeol held Baekhyun’s hand and the older looked at him.

“The ring really looks good on your hand.” Chanyeol smiled.

“Yours too.” The older smiled back.

“Baek, bring me to the music room.” Chanyeol said.

Baekhyun shot him a surprised look. “What? Are you crazy? No!”

“Please. It’s just near. We’ll get back as soon as possible.” Chanyeol pleaded.

Baekhyun had no choice but to comply. Like what I told you, he’ll do anything for Chanyeol.

Baekhyun had to call the nurse and persuade him to grant Chanyeol’s request. The nurse also had no choice but to let them. Baekhyun’s puppy-eyes never gets old.

The both of them arrived at the music room, the two nurses waiting outside, giving them privacy.

Chanyeol fished something out from his pocket and it turns out to be Baekhyun’s music sheet.

“I told you I finished it. And we promised to sing this one of these days.” Chanyeol smiled. “Please hand me the guitar.”

Baekhyun nodded and handed Chanyeol the guitar while he walks towards the piano.

The couple positioned themselves closer to each other and Chanyeol started playing the guitar while Baekhyun did the same with the piano. Then Chanyeol started singing to which Baekhyun was surprised. He never heard Chanyeol sing before. Even though his voice is deep, he can’t help but smile because it was music to his ears.

 

♫ I do believe all the love you give

All of the things you do

Love you Love you

I’ll keep you safe don’t you worry

I wouldn’t leave wanna keep you near

Cause I feel the same way too

Love you Love you

Want you to know that I’m with you

 

I will love you and love you and love you

Gonna hold you and hold you and squeeze you

I will please you for all times

I don’t wanna lose you and lose you and lose you

Cause I need you I need you I need you

So I want you to be my baby

You’ve got to understand My love

 

You are beautiful beautiful beautiful

beautiful beautiful beautiful babe

You are beautiful beautiful beautiful

beautiful beautiful beautiful babe~ ♫

 

Chanyeol can’t help but cry. The lyrics of the song affected him too much. The lyrics and everything, it just felt the…opposite.

When he ended the song, Baekhyun rushed to him and hugged him. Chanyeol did the same. He pushed Baekhyun a bit and wiped his tears. Both of them were crying. It seems like they never run out of tears.

A few minutes later, Chanyeol suddenly yelped. There’s a familiar, sudden jolt of pain in his body. He started to grumble and Baekhyun started to panic. He called the nurses outside to send him back to the hospital. Baekhyun also rushed out but he noticed the music sheet so he came back to pick it up and started to rush towards his husband again.

He started shaking Chanyeol hard.

“Ya! Look at me. Don’t close your eyes, okay!? I trust in you, Park Chanyeol. Please.” He cried.

Chanyeol just nodded weakly as he was sent inside the operating room.

~*~*~

 

The group rushed towards the crying Baekhyun outside the operating room. Kyungsoo and Luhan sat beside Baekhyun and started comforting the weeping male.

Jongin and Sehun paced back and forth. They were worried. They can’t let their best buddy die. Not now. Not today. Not when he and Baekhyun are already married.

After hours and hours of waiting, the doctor finally came out.

The doctor can clearly distinguish that Baekhyun had been crying. His eyes are so puffy and red. The group stood up to meet him.

“So?” Jongin inquired.

“I’m sorry.” is all what the doctor can say but the group already knew what he’s talking about.

Baekhyun found this scene familiar.

His legs grew weaker every second and he collapsed onto the seat. Tears started rolling down his eyes again. The group can’t also believe what happened. Kyungsoo and Luhan started crying again and Jongin and Sehun was left dazed.

Baekhyun felt a familiar texture in his hands and it turns out to be the music sheet.

He looked at the music sheet, devastated and when he turned it around, there was something scribbled below the paper.

To: Byun Park Baekhyun ^__^

I love you! I always will! :)

From: Your stupid giant, Park Chanyeol :D

Baekhyun felt more tears coming.

They stood up when a hospital bed was pushed outside the operating room.

It’s Chanyeol.

Baekhyun walked towards his husband, crying, and kissed his forehead.

Then he leaned into his ear and whispered, “I love you too, Park Chanyeol and I always will.”

He finally spoke.