Nobody

I Love You

“I love you so much, Minho.” she says in between tears.

“I love you too” I reply.

“In some point in life I realized that maybe the reason why I have to let go of you is the reason why I held on for so long. It is because I love you so so much” just then my mind went blank. ‘Let go’? What does she mean?

“I’m sorry that I have to let you go although I love you. I’m sorry for failing to make it to your future but I thank you for coming to my present and becoming a part of my past. It has been the most wonderful times I had. I love you, Minho.” and then she kissed me so soft, it almost felt surreal.

 

 

And then she left.

 


I stood there waiting for her to go back but I felt she won’t so I ran to catch up with her. I’ll let her explain everything. I don’t want to be left hanging.

But then I was too late, as I reached the streets near my apartment, I saw her centimeters away from a fast-paced vehicle and I swear I felt my world breaking apart. BANG! Her body is there lying lighted by the vehicle’s lights. I went to her as quick as I can when I saw blood dropping from her head. I knew it was a severe damage but I still hoped she’ll be fine. This time, I don’t think of what other people say or think, I just want to assure that she will be fine.

The ambulance finally came and I managed to hold her hands tight. She’s unconscious, I kissed her forehead saying all these encouragement for her to fight. I need her to fight for her life. When we reached the hospital, the doctors restricted me from coming all the way to the emergency room and so I stayed outside. I walked back and forth, sometimes looking at the wall clock placed on the side waiting for anything that can assure me she’s fine.

It was midnight when I saw them coming. Her parents dressed in their corporate attires. Obviously they just went out from work. They saw me standing there of course, I didn’t look because I don’t want to. I am sure that they’ll blame me for this but blame me all they want, I just want her safe.
A fist flew right on my face. I saw blood coming from my mouth as I felt pain. Her father punched me. I accepted it.

“You bastard! How dare you--” he shouts making a hallway scene. I saw how her mother tries to stop her father from doing anything more violent. I just stayed there standing still, I don’t have the energy to talk and fight back because I know that they won’t listen. He was brought to a room since his blood pressure increased. Now, I’m left with her mother.

And when I thought everything is going to be fine, I felt a pang on my cheeks. Her mother slapped me this time “You were there nd look at what happened. It’s a good thing I didn’t trust you from the very start as her friend, I’m glad you guys are over” and again, I remained standing.

“What? You won’t say anything because you’re a coward--” the doctors then arrived. Finally.

“Mrs.Choi?” asked one of them. Mrs. Choi took a step forward and they went near the door, far from me to talk about something. I heard her mother cry. After talking, I thought she’ll be saying what Jinri’s condition is right now but then she just walked past by me.

It was about three at dawn when the doctors went out of the room again. This time, I went there and asked them about how Jinri is but “I’m sorry, Sir but her parents didn’t permit us to share any information to anyone with the exception if you know her. I’ll be going---”

“But I do know her. She’s my fi-- I mean girlfriend. I am Choi Minho” I said, he stopped and looked for his records. For once, he looks confused and startled.

“But Mrs.Choi didn’t state that Ms.Choi has a boyfriend named Choi Minho instead---” just then I saw a man in a formal attire who’ve just arrived. The owner of the restaurant I’m working to, Mr. Jongin. He’s looking for something and then he saw me and the doctor. He slowly approached us.

“Excuse me. Is Choi Jinri here?” he asked in his natural deep voice. The doctor nods. 

“I’m Kai, Jinri’s fiancee” with that statement I felt out of place. I thought I was dreaming but I wasn’t. Everything feels like a mystery, a puzzle yet to be solved. And the only way I can distinguish is for Jinri to explain but I guess it won’t happen.

“They told me that Ms. Choi is soon to be married and he’s here" the doctor continued.

Then, Mr. Jongin and the doctor conversed about Jinri’s condition. I wanted to leave because right now I feel that I don’t have a reason to stay. I’m not Jinri’s fiance but my boss, Kai. I guess she deserve him as much as he does. I started walking out the emergency room. It’s no use, I’m a nobody anyways.

“Wait, Minho? Am I right?” I heard Kai say. I stopped my tracks and greeted him as respectful as I can.

“What are you doing here? Got someone in emergency too?” he asked so casual to my ears. I was in dilemma on agreeing or not but I shook my head eitherways.

“I see. But I just saw you here talking to that Doctor, what was that about?” he asks
Before I can make excuses, he followed the question again “You know Jinri? A close friend perhaps?” I nod, there’s no use of hiding anyways. Inside of me wanted to scream we’re just more than friends but I know it’s disrespectful to do so.

“I better introduce myself properly to you.” then he pauses.  “I am Jongin, as you know the owner of Taco Madness but from now on, call me Kai as I am your friend’s fiance.” he shook my hand.

I smiled and excused myself to go. I guess all I needed was Kai’s introduction to understand this situation. It’s clear that he’s way better than I am. Rich, handsome and wise. And me? 

I am just Choi Minho, the Taco Madness’ waiter every weekdays, the one who lives in an old dusty apartment and the nobody.


A month passed and I know I still haven’t moved on. I went back to Incheon to free myself from the thoughts but I guess having fresh memories with someone who made you feel magical isn't an easy thing to let go. The last thing I knew about Jinri’s condition is that she’s unconscious which was delivered to me a month ago. Luna called me today to meet up with her, she just came back from Paris after finishing her course. She is our friend and the matchmaker behind my short fairytale.

When I arrived, she was already there sipping her strawberry milkshake. We had the usual greetings and then we sat.

“So what’s up? How’s Paris?” I asked. 

“I should be the one asking how are you now.” she says. I looked up to her and saw how sad her face is. I laughed “What?” I tried sounding as funny as possible but she showed me a faint smile meaning I failed.

“I know what happened” this time I drank a little from my frappe. “That has nothing to do with me now.” I replied shortly, perhaps bitterly.

“Don’t make me stupid, Minho” she said

“I came here to explain everything to you in behalf of Jinri”

 

Two hours have passed and my mind's already bursting with the revelations from Luna. I don't know what to feel or what should I feel. I might be numb but I'm not, honestly.

Jinri had amnesia and is now recovering in Seoul. The doctors discovered a strange fact about her amnesia; She only forgot about me. And us. Maybe because her parents restricted me from the start. After all, Jinri's parents knew me only as her friend because of us being scared of what they might think of us. I shrug the thought away.

And most of all, the explanation that startled me was that Jinri is arranged to be married to Kai. Kai is the heir of his family's group of companies and I see no reason not for them to be arranged together. They look perfect. 

 

At last, I came to the conclusion that I should really move on now because I don't have the reason not to. Jinri already forgot about me and she's soon to be wedded to someone else. Not to me, the nobody.