My Star

I Love You

 

 

The restaurant’s accommodation today is quite good if compared to other days, probably because it is a weekend. There’s a lot of work to do here for sure so I kind of feel bad for letting my co-workers do everything without me but I know they understand my situation enough to permit me from ending my shift earlier than we are expected. I went to the employee’s room, removed the apron with Taco Madness stitched on it then decided to change my usual plain black shirt to a clean blue one. I combed my hair as it can look clean and handsome. I faced the mirror one last time to check my appearance and I went out.

I can’t believe it has been a year since then. A year since a magic happened to my life. And so today, I am making one great decision that would change my life.

I can’t count how many times I’ve stepped on this marble floor. The room glittering with sparkles from left and right. Everything here is astonishing. The girl in white greeted me with a smile. 

“Good Morning Mr. Choi, how can I help you?” Sera asked. Not that I’m rich to be recognized in a prestige place, maybe it was because I’m often visiting this shop since three months ago. 

I smiled “The one I asked before?” and by the time she went to the latter side of the room, I knew she got what I meant. Few seconds later, I saw her handing me a lilac box with a pure white ribbon tied above. My hands are trembling as I received it. It almost feel like something fragile. She carefully took the box’s lid for me to check what’s inside. I knew I made a great choice in choosing this. It’s so shining that I was close to crying. 

“It’s beautiful. I hope your girlfriend would like it” said Sera as she puts back the cover. I then grabbed the envelope inside my pocket. The envelope containing my fruits of hardwork since day one at work. I gave her the envelope and I bid them goodbye. I wonder when would I get to go here again.

With a big smile on my face, I walked to my apartment a kilometer away from the shop. I took a shower and decided to go with a semi-formal outfit. I took a breath freshener and looked myself in the mirror again as I mouth the words “This is it”. I went to the rooftop to see the things I’ve been preparing since. Lights hanging, candles surrounding the balcony, roses and a table just for two. Sounds romantic, huh. I never have imagined I’ll be this cheesy to someone but maybe she did changed my mind.

I sent her a message saying I’ll pick her up. I went down and saw that the car I rented from William is there, a black Toyota Vios in the apartment’s garage! William gave me the keys as he tap my shoulders for confidence. I drove to her unit. She just knew that we’ll be watching the stars tonight and so she just appeared with a long pink sweater covering her paired with her white pants and I must admit she’s pretty that way. Every way she can be.

I held her hand and it was cold. She smiled faintly and said sorry. She’s so cute, to be honest. We went to my apartment and I placed a blindfold on her. 

“Why is this necessary?” she asked. I smirked “Yeah, just wait and see later” and then we took the stairs up to the rooftop with me guiding her with her steps.

I breathed in deeply before I took the fabric from her eyes. She looked at me and hugged me tight. Without words, we just stayed like that for a minute. I guided her again to the table at the center, served her the dishes I cooked, although I’m not that a good cook. I just wish she’ll like it.

“You cooked this?” she asked as if not believing, I nod and she laughs. “Now, seriously aren’t you going to believe me, I did that and I promise I’m not lying” I said.

“If you say so, but I’m not convinced not until you cook for me personally in live action!” she demands. In my thoughts my mind’s already saying ‘Someday, I will and that someday is soon to happen. I promise’ but I still can’t say it to her right at this moment.

We just sat there eating, laughing, talking and everything we usually do and then when we finished eating, I excused myself to go to the storage room. I grabbed my guitar and a stool and went back to her. She was surprised to see me with a musical instrument this time “So are you playing that?” she asked.

“Yes and this time I have a proof that I can play a guitar too”

“Oh so let’s see” she sounds like a judge in a competition show, it makes me shiver.

I started strumming to the tune of John Legend’s ‘You & I’. I managed to sing a part of it.

You fix your make up, just so
Guess you don't know, that you're beautiful
Try on every dress that you own
You were fine in my eyes a half hour ago

And if your mirror won't make it any clearer I'll
Be the one to let you know

Out of all of the girls
You're my one and only girl
Ain't nobody in the world tonight

All of the stars, you make them shine like they were ours
Ain't nobody in the world but you and I
You and I
Ain't nobody in the world but you and I

You stop the room when we walk in
Spotlight's on everybody's staring
Tell all of these boys they're wasting their time
Stop standing in line, 'cause you're all mine

And this evening I won't let the feeling die
I never wanna leave your side

I feel like she was close to crying but she’s trying not to. I felt my heart beating so much that it can explode no time. I walked to where she was sitting. She looked up to me and then I started.

“Jinri, my girl, my star, my everything. Today marks our first year together. We’ve been through experiences and with us standing still until this time proves how capable we are to stay. Forever. I know people aren't capable to look at their futures but maybe I already saw mine. It was in us.”

I knelt down in front of her, holding her hands. They were shivering just like my whole body right now. 

“Thank you for keeping up with my weaknesses and strengths. Thank you for everything. Every day, actually every second, you make me feel like I’m the luckiest and happiest man ever. I know our social statuses could be a problem but I promise that I’ll be working hard to prove everyone I can. That I can sustain life for you” and now she’s crying. I took the lilac box from my pocket and continued.

“And so, Choi Jinri.” I paused for a while “Will you----”

I stopped when she placed her pointing finger to my lips, I was confused, happy and blank all at the same time. She stood up from her seat and so do I from kneeling. She then hugged me tight that I barely can breathe. It was suffocating but heartwarming although I don’t know what’s up with her.

“I’m sorry.” she says almost whispering in my ears. I patted her back, caressed her long soft hair and said “What are you sorry for?” I can feel her tears despite that we’re still hugging each other. 

“I’m sorry for my future decisions. I know I’ll disappoint you so much that you might not forgive me. I’m sorry.” she says crying. For that time, I just felt confused “What are you saying? Of course I’ll forgive you. Always” I say and then she finally faced me with her face wet in tears.

“I love you so much, Minho.” she says in between tears.

“I love you too” I reply.

“In some point in life I realized that maybe the reason why I have to let go of you is the reason why I held on for so long. It is because I love you so so much” just then my mind went blank. ‘Let go’? What does she mean?

“I’m sorry that I have to let you go although I love you. I’m sorry for failing to make it to your future but I thank you for coming to my present and becoming a part of my past. It has been the most wonderful times I had. I love you, Minho.” and then she kissed me so soft, it almost felt surreal.

 

 

And then she left.