Library

I Love You

The sound of books being turned page by page, pens used for writing notes on papers and a serene atmosphere. The library. I looked at the big double glass doors in front of me, waiting for another customer to get in. For like about two years, this has been my life. A librarian.

They say I’m popular to teenage girls that’s why they make the most of our reader’s populations. Kinda funny to actually have them all fangirling over me. I’m a plain man if you’ll define me. I’m ordinary and sometimes I wonder why they come to like me. Anyways, I sat on my swivel chair as I check the newly arrived books placed on my desk. These books are popular and greatly in demand. I put them on the shelves right behind me that says ‘New Books’. I sip my coffee as I start to continue the story I’m writing as a hobby.

I was greeted by the familiar customers several times before they go out and the clock strikes at two in the afternoon, almost time for someone’s usual arrival. I continued typing until the library’s door chime rung and as I was alert, I looked to see who just got in.

It was Jinri and her best friend, Sunyoung. They greeted me the usual and I replied with a smile. They honestly look good in their summer dresses but there was something that shines above all of them, it was the necklace around Jinri’s neck, it was shimmering with sparkles of a silver ring. That silver ring.

I closed my laptop and decided to take rounds in the vicinity. I went to place all the misplaced books in their shelves. As I was organizing them, it was an accident that I heard Jinri and Sunyoung talking quietly as possible. Perhaps not an accident but I just wanted to eavesdrop for a while.

“You know I feel so strange whenever I’m around Mr.Choi.” Jinri starts. I heard Sunyoung say “Why is it? Something’s bothering you?”

“Yeah. Apparently it confuses me that he knows almost every favorite I have from the book, coffee, food, color, flavor and everything. It makes me wonder some times if I’ve known him before like if I just forgot him, or if I had something like Amnesia to forget about him. It always feels like we’ve known each other for a long time that I think we’re friends or probably more than that or whatsoever. His presence is strange.” says Jinri. Sunyoung laughs.

“You probably are just intimidated. You’re attracted aren’t you? I expected it, though since he’s obviously a good catch. Nice taste there.”

“I wish it was just mere attraction but I don’t feel like it is. You know it’s honestly too vague for me to understand what it is.”

“You know, Jinri. That’s probably just attraction period! And don’t mind things that doesn’t really matter so much, okay?” and then I heard a ‘sshhh’ from the other table, I guess and they stopped talking. I went back to my desk and stared blankly. My mind and heart aren’t in normal conditions right now. I guess I shouldn’t have eavesdropped or maybe it was for my good to actually know about what Jinri thinks of me.

It was past three when Jinri and Sunyoung bid me goodbyes. I thought I can now breathe when they went out but Sunyoung went back again. This time, she was alone.

“Minho” she called “Let’s talk. Somewhere else” she says more of like demanding in a good way.

We went to the library’s garden just outside the building and sat on its veranda. She sighs. I knew why she called me to talk with her. It was about what happened earlier in which I won’t admit that I eavesdropped.

“You should be careful” she starts “Jinri’s been suspecting everything these days. I’m kinda tired to look for excuses. You know, you should at least be careful of how you’re making her feel.”

My brows creased “Why? Why should I be careful?” she face palms herself and replied “Gosh, Minho! You do know that she’s not aware of you being her---”

“Stop. Yes, I know. I know that I should be careful.” I said with a tone of sadness in my voice. I can’t hide it. Sunyoung faces me with her worried face “I’m really sorry. I didn’t mean that way, if only I can bring everything back, I would because I know how beautiful the thing you had for each other and as a friend, I want you guys to be happy.” she hugged me and I hugged her back.

“Thank you Luna” I said calling her by her nickname. 

“I hope you understand my point because we can forget other people’s names, faces, attributes and everything about them except for one thing. It is how they made you feel a bunch of things” she says.

“And Jinri isn’t far from experiencing that phase”

 

-


The next week, Jinri asked me to go with her. Something in me felt nervous because I know this has something to do with her. We arrived somewhere familiar. Right, it’s the Mexican restaurant I used to work to. I see familiar faces like Aila’s, Ken’s and some of the few workers. I smiled at them and when Jinri saw me doing so, her brows creased.

After placing our orders, Jinri started talking to me “Mr. Choi, even though we’re not that close in my perspective, can you be honest with me?” she asks. 

“What about?” I asked.

“Things.” she replied shortly before continuing again “As I was saying, I want to know the truth so please be honest to me.”

“Sure, what is it about?”

“Last night, I had a dream, probably a beautiful nightmare because I felt haunted. In my dream you appeared. The start was wonderful, we were acting like a couple enjoying what usual couples do, eating ice cream together, watching movies and stuff and then it turned white and I saw myself crying somewhere like where you see the beauty of the city night lights and you were just standing there, I knew we were saying some words to each other but I don't know what they are and then it all turned black.” I’m glad she actually remembers us but she’s confused and I have to help her remember everything. I am the solution to her problem.

“Was there something between us before?” she asked. 

I was hesitating to answer since it was a direct question but nonetheless I said “Yes”

“Something like intimacy?”

“Yes” I said again.

“Hmmm. Are you sure because I wonder why I don’t know you as that person. I don’t actually remember having those moments with someone in particular--” I decided to cut her off

 

“You had amnesia and you only forgot me”