Of What Your Own Happiness is Worth Over Other's & Whatnot

Fluttering Fate

 

 

 

 

"I ing knew it."



Yifan's tall frame stiffens as Luhan slams open the glass door and plops onto the patio chair behind him.



The younger's words resonating in the stale morning air.



"What are you talking about?" Yifan asks his brother, careful to not sound as panicked as he feels.



He can feel a stare burning into the back of his head.

 

Fear coils around his heart as he breaths in deeply. Simply hoping Luhan isn't talking about what he thinks he's talking about.



Or rather who he's talking about.



The echo of skateboard wheels in the distance only amplifies the pulsating sound of his blood.



But also horrifyingly hints at what Luhan's talking about.



"You seem to have this really creepy obsession with-"



Sweat starts to bead at his temple as Luhan saunters up to him-



This is the end.



Tell Kyungsoo he loves his cooking.



-only to pluck his coffee mug from his slick grasp.



"-this coffee cup."



Yifan's eyes shut in bliss and a heavy sigh leaves him. His legs buckle a bit as one hand comes up to grip the rail.



And here Yifan thought Luhan had caught onto his older brother's obsession with stalking his new friend's friend.



Not friend but friend's friend.



Yifan feels better distancing Zitao as his brother's distant friend rather than friend.



It lets him sleep at night to know he's not really creeping on his brother's friend but acquaintance.



Not true but sounds way better.



"I mean really, Yifan. You have like six other mugs to choose from. Why is it always this one? You already have four more mugs than you need. Do you honestly need to sip out of the same one every day?"



Luhan continues to nag as Yifan just smiles and turns back to enjoying the view.



"Another thing. Why do you always set your toothbrush in the center of the holder? I mean there are slots for that, ya know? Are you even listening? Yifan? Yifan?!"


 




"Heyyyyy, Taozi?"

 

 Hours later the same nuisance is trying to be heard as the two wait for Kai and Sehun to arrive at their usual cafe. His fingers drawing circles on the table between them.



They've been doing this for weeks, ever since Luhan showed up. And amazingly it feels as if Luhan's presence is already engraved into their schedule.



The younger looks up reluctantly from his magazine to face Luhan's big doe eyes, "Yes?"



"Do you like Yifan?"



Tao almost chokes on the bluntness. And thank heaven above that he hadn't ordered yet.



Otherwise his regular would have been sprayed like a geyser right into Luhan's face.



So he just blinks, "Why would you ask that?" Quite smoothly if you ask him since his insides are running ramped and he really should have stuttered with how he feels.



But he doesn't notice his hand quivering to turn to the next page like Luhan does.



"Oh, no reason." The boy beams as he leans back in his seat. Away from his prey, because mark his words he sees the ing chemistry between his brother and the panda.



Even if they've only met like five times in the past month. There is definitely something there because Yifan becomes a ing idiot and Tao stutters cutely.



Them es can't fool Luhan.



He's determined as hell to get them together. But while he doesn't want to pester his brother so much, since he's Luhan's elder and one should be respectful and- bull.



 He just doesn't want to get kicked out.



Plus it’s more fun to tease Tao since he always gets this blush that's uber adorable while Yifan simply changes the subject.



Like a boss, Luhan must add because it always works on him.



But Tao's little red face is what makes it more fun, like just now. As soon as he mentioned Yifan, bam, the cutest little blush appeared.



Luhan has to physically force himself to stay still in his seat so he doesn't pinch Tao's cheeks.



Back in high school he nearly got a restraining order against him for always attacking this kid named... Well he doesn't remember now.



But he had called him Baozi and he was so adorable like a little hamster, hence the nickname.



"You're so cute! I can see why my brother's so infatuated with you!" Luhan squeals anyway stunning the younger.



Tao's head jerks up in shock a few minutes too late to question the older about what he just said. But Luhan isn't in his seat anymore.



While Tao was having a mini song and dance in his head Kai and Sehun had already entered the establishment.



 How Tao didn't hear the obnoxious chime of the instrumental to "God Save the Queen" that blares when patrons open the door is beyond him.



And yes it is "God Save the Queen." Not the American version "God Bless America." The cafe has the freaking London Jacks flag on display in mural format behind the counter.



"Tao, you okay?"



Kai snaps his fingers in front of Tao's face while Sehun tilts his head. Luhan meanwhile is attached to Sehun's arm, happily watching Tao deep in thought, satisfied with his job well done.



It takes another, but this time louder, snap before Tao responds.



"For Narnia!"



The smile drips from Luhan's face as he face palms. He thought that the panda would be thinking about Yifan.



Not an imaginary world based off a book that allegorizes the bible.



But Tao had been thinking about Luhan's gorgeous older brother.



It had just somehow drifted from Yifan to Great Britain to British accents to the movie Narnia in the few seconds after.



To be honest it's the cafe's fault. They're in freaking Korea. Not to be ignorant but it’s just random.



Okay! So maybe it's not so random but Tao wants an excuse for embarrassing himself so let him have it damnit.



As soon as it registers what was just said Tao sits back down and coughs, "So are we gonna order or..?"

 

And after an antagonizingly long set of glances, filled with absolute judge, all aimed at Tao, they do.



They order their drinks and Luhan doesn't hint at mentioning Yifan again. For that Tao is grateful.



Even if Wu Yifan is all he thinks about lately.



He's starting to feel like a teenage girl. Sad, considering he's a male nineteen year old university student who teaches self defense slash martial arts part time.



Though he does kind of need more money so he was thinking of putting in some part time. But then again he does need some business credits so he might have to become an intern instead.



You would think he had enough monk like discipline to be calm over a guy with how much he works himself.



Or not.



 Considering skating past the older's place makes his heart flutter pathetically every morning.



Thank god Luhan's distracted by Sehun or he would have sunken his claws further into the poor panda.



The owner of that animal though was not even paying attention to his precious Luhan as he and Kai conversed about the upcoming break.



"Apparently we're going to America as a class."



"So like New York or LA?"



"Hah, no. The Capitol, Washington, D.C."



"Wait. Where the hell is that?"



"You're so uncultured."



"What? I know of it just not where it is exactly!"



"Still uncultured.."



"...I hate you man."



They all lapse into silence as Sehun smirks into his cup and Kai curses as he pulls up a map app.



But then everything blows up again when the devil reincarnated sighs in between sips, "Really, Taozi, you two should just date."



Sehun's eyes pop and he spews out his drink while Kai drops his phone, "Who the hell is Luhan talking about?"



Tao's eyes go wide and he flounders a bit in his head for awhile before snapping out of it due to a smirking Luhan.



"Shut the hell up, Sehun! And Luhan, mind your own damn business!" Tao screeches as he gathers his , not forgetting his magazine, clutches his board, and storms out the cafe.



Luhan bursts into a fit of laughter as the door's anthem starts to sound.



"Luhan, that was a move obviously." Kai prompts as Sehun nods. Even if Kai, being the player he is, knows more about moves, no pun intended.



The oldest ceases laughter and smacks Sehun upside the head, "Worst boyfriend ever." He huffs as he gets up and follows Tao's exit.



After a moment of silence a teary Sehun cries out, "But Kai said it!"



Kai starts uncontrollably laughing this time, but is silenced as Sehun stabs him with a complimentary plastic fork.

In the face.


 




Miles from the cafe and hours later the eldest Wu is in his streamline office. The blinds are open to a vast overview of the city.



A view that calms Yifan, the reason he chose this office in the first place.



Unfortunately he can't see that view. But his current angst would be aided if he would just ing turn around.



Yifan is seated completely opposite to that splendid view at his laquor cherry wood desk, mentally crying over the stack of files he's buried under, when his assistant, Kyungsoo, sticks his head in.



 "Yifan? You're brother's here."



He has half a mind to just flip his desk right then and there, paperwork be damned, but he controls the urge and simply leafs through another document, "Make him wait in the lobby downstairs."



He already had an impossible deadline.



He really doesn't need an impossible brother in his wake to halt him during his most productive hours.



But amongst his more than usual workload he also has to find an intern.



Which requires looking through another stack of applicant files or getting a deducted pay in compensation.

 

A loud banging outside his door makes his head snap up, to a rather strange scene.



His petite assistant appears to be fighting against something or someone.



"But Yifan he's alr-" Kyungsoo's shoved out the way as Luhan storms in. The boy looks beyond pissed and it’s kind of freaking Yifan the out.



Yifan's thick eyebrows almost fly up off his face in horror. Whether he's more scared of Kyungsoo's future retaliation or what Luhan could want he's not entirely sure.



All Yifan wanted was to get through his paperwork and maybe pick an intern, but now he has a flaming pissed brother to take care of and he is honestly feeling so attacked right now.



Kyungsoo on the other hand is looking less on the afraid side and a lot more on the frightening side, than Luhan could ever be, as he clutches onto the door. His nails dig into the wood as he practically darkens the whole room in a deathly aura.



The assistant's eyes are crackling with flames and he drills a hole into the back of Luhan's head whilst slowly shutting the door.



The creaking runs a chill down Yifan's spine. His door does not creak.



 Ever.



And Yifan makes a mental note to never leave Luhan alone with Kyungsoo in the future. Unless he actually wants his brother to end up dead.



Little does he know Kyungsoo doesn't mind a crowd when carrying out his satanic deeds.



The small blonde shivers a little as well, "Why does it feel like hell has frozen over and like the devil is breathing on me?" His whisper barely reaches Yifan.



Another tremor rolls through him until Kyungsoo, unknown to them both, stops staring in his direction on the other side of the door.



The dark haired male huffs as he plops down in his seat.



"Imma him up next chance I get. Boss' brother or not. better be ing ready like ."



He mumbles as a call comes in. Returning to his perky business voice as he answers the phone.



Back in Yifan's office Luhan continues, "Anyway~!" His hands flying up to clasp under his chin while he smiles.



He then quickly regains his original irate visage that was displayed upon entry into the building though.



"I'm just going to come out and say it."



Yifan just watches and questions, for the millionth time since Luhan was forced into his previously perfect life, whether or not he's bi-polar.



The smaller blonde rubs his hands together and he stares down at his feet.



Mentally preparing himself for becoming homeless if all goes against him.

 

His mini silent pep talk starts to get longer as his brother can practically feel his time being wasted in vain.



Yifan's eyes are starting to cross at how long it's taking the younger to speak.



"Just spit it out!" He exasperates as he flails his arms about.



Luhan jumps and looks affronted. His posture ready for the kill as he curls away.



"Fine, ! I was just trying to add a dramatic pause to your otherwise boring as hell tastic life but I guess you don't want that! So I'll just ing say it, you boring horrid ! You like Tao!"

Arms frozen mid flight the older just blinks rapidly.

Well.

 It was to be found out eventually, he supposes. Yifan kind of saw this one coming. But for it to be out in the air so randomly?



He didn't think that this would happen.



His arms drop and he suddenly finds his company monogrammed pens to be interesting as Luhan waits for him to say something.



Moments like this make Yifan question why he even bothers with emotions. But then he thinks of the better side to emotions, like I don't know, not being forever alone, and gains some courage.



For the sake of Tao and living life.



"What do you want me to do about it?" Yifan finally replies and lifts his head, dead serious.



He's done with this game of never knowing. He's a grown man and he's not going to lie: he needs help romantically.



"I don't know." Luhan admits as he taps his foot and blows his fringe away.



This toe tapping hesitation is starting to be the death of Yifan.



A solid minute later the elder opens his mouth, "But did you have to-"



Luhan's hands fly up to form a universal gesture.



Shut the hell up. I got this.



Effectively executed since Yifan just leans back in his chair and sighs with a nod. When all he wanted to know was why Luhan had felt the need to annoy Kyungsoo. Because he distinctly recalls warning him not to with his assistant unless he wanted to die.



Meanwhile Luhan's brainstorming with the effort of twenty sixteenth century philosophers.



A familiar smile lifts the corners of Luhan's face as his eyes land on a stack of files placed haphazardly on the elder's desk.



"Oh...I'm not gonna do anything, Fannie."



His eyes lock with the bold print of the label and Yifan starts to panic as his thoughts wander back to their conversation.



"No, Luhan. Stop thinking."



"But, Yifannie, it's perfect!"


 




A few days later Yifan's outside on his patio as usual calmly drinking his coffee.



He took a day off cause he has a fever. When he felt the cold coming on he had decided to use those days Kyungsoo always raves about to him.



His body couldn't be more strange, the spring day is uncharacteristically steaming.



How in the world did he catch a cold?



A sigh passes between his lips as he watches Tao skate past, Kai accompanying him this time.



Once he places his mug on its brown ring he relaxes into a recliner, he never uses. Something routine, something rouge.



After a small coughing fit, brought on by the chills he has, he finally gets comfortable.



The sun dances behind his lids as they close and his thoughts drift to Tao. Or rather more specifically his smile.



A smile that was so blinding and cute.



When he first saw the younger he was so serious looking that he thought something to be wrong.



That maybe he was somehow so deep in his own life's sorrows that he couldn't find it in himself use the facial muscles to lift the corners of his lips.



 But then he saw it.



A good two weeks after he had started his observations on the boy he witnessed something that rocked his world all the way to his core.



It was that beautiful boy's genuine smile. A thing so trivial and common placed that it is everyday often underrated.



A sad fate for a virtuous face expression.



Everyone's smile is special, Yifan supposes. But that boy's...well Tao's smile held something big. Something bold and unadulterated and just plain beautiful.



Something that makes Yifan want to hug him for hours on end.



To cradle him and make anything wrong turn right. If anyone wanted to corrupt that they could ing go left.



But that would require Yifan to be in a relationship with the other. While that sounds nice and all it's a rather frightening idea.



Dating someone.



Sends chills down Yifan's spine as he zips his jacket up to under his chin. Arms and legs crossed he stays still as he wills the sun to warm him.



But he knows he truly wants the warmth of another person. But to do that...it requires a person to be able to lay themselves out for the other.



To allow that other to become the owner to the key of your heart. To place in their hands the power and jurisdiction that they could tear you apart or help you pull yourself together.

No. No. No and no to that.

"Why open yourself when you can only become more damaged?" He quotes as his eyelids flutter once and shut. Seconds later he's asleep cradled by Chronos' sands. Nestling him deeper and deeper into sleep.



His dreams turn to fever induced hallucinations that revolve around dirt colored circles and splashes of mint on ceramic white bases.



He flinches and grimaces in pain when he feels himself almost drown in the constant sand. The fine grained particles drains away and his clammy hands grip at the corners of the throw and cause wrinkles to furrow into the fabric.



Hours seem to pass while dull red poles strike at that ceramic only to bounce unceremoniously and lay there on its side indefinitely.



"Mr. Wu?"



A slight touch is brushed along his condensated forehead and he stirs.



"You're burning up! You need to get inside!"



Yifan's shaken awake. Head rolling drowsily he almost blanches when he's face to face with Tao.



He can feel his face red enough from the fever that's gotten worse but it deepens a shade upon gazing into Tao's fathomless orbs.



It's a nice view that he would choose to be stuck in forever if given the choice.



Yifan smiles idiotically and Tao just thinks he's fallen to his cold. Quickly helping the older stand he slides the door open and drags him to the living room.



Tao vaguely notices the throw that was previously bunched up around Yifan. Must have been Luhan because he did mention that he came back.



And he left Yifan outside? Must have been an emergency if he doesn't have time to care for his brother. Tao shakes his head because that is so Luhan.



After dumping Yifan on the couch he sets out for the fridge. Almost drunkenly Yifan lurches forward to grasp his arm, "Why'd you call me "Mr. Wu"?" His voice is raspy but he'd rather sleep than down a glass of water.



Confusion settles into the student's features until he thinks back.



"Oh," his face reddens, as if he is ill too, "I got that intern job under you so I thought I might as well start addressing you formally now. You know, so I don't slip up."



But Yifan's already leaned back on the couch in a daze and wrapping himself in blankets that were draped across the furniture, so Tao isn't even sure if he was heard.



Shaking his head at the grown man's childish actions he continues to the kitchen. He rampages through in pursuit of medicine and possible ingredients to soup.



There seems to be bits and pieces of things that do not correlate well palate wise.



Not surprised by the lack of inventory he clicks his tongue as he opens cabinet after cabinet. Minutes later he thinks about the elder and calls out, "Yi- Mr. Wu? You alive still?"



A giggle escapes the panda at how cute Yifan is when sick. He gets all pouty and his eyes are puffy from sleep. A complete change from what Tao normally sees.



A well put together handsome business man, if at times awkward.



All he gets is a grunt as a response and he grins some more when he gathers all his scavenged ingredients and starts his soup.



When Luhan had approached him earlier that day the older had told him he had good news and bad news.



The bad news was he had a nonpaying job over spring break and into the final semester to enjoy.



Though Tao knew that the credits were needed so he failed to see how this was so horrid.



Then the good news. When he told him Tao had almost punched him into the lecture hall's wall right then and there.



"Your boss under the internship is Yifannie!"



"Luhan, the hell's wrong with you?!"



"What?!"



"Why would you get me a job under your brother? You're the only person who knows I lik..." He had trailed off, a pink tinting his cheeks as he closes his mouth before he says it out loud.



Luhan had grinned chersire-like and added, "Also Yifan's sick at home. Here's the key."



He had tossed the ink haired boy a set of keys and added further instruction,



"When Yifan gets sick it's rare but he ends up being really pathetic so he needs a lot of care. I don't know how he lived by himself for so long. So go take care of him for me, please?"



Tao had blinked, "No."



Luhan's smile dropped, "I'm asking as a friend who can't take care of their brother because of schedule conflicts not as someone who wants to hook you up with him."

 

Hesitation had Tao wanting to throw the keys at Luhan's face, "But..."



"But nothing. Just do it, ! I know you want to see him all cute."



Tao's eyes widened as he clutched the keys in his grasp, "What do you mean?"



"I mean that a sick Yifan is an adorable Yifan. So stay with him till I get home, please?"



"Fine."



Though Luhan may have his own agenda in place over this Tao couldn't care less. The blonde was right.



Yifan is adorable when sick.



When the soup's done he returns to the living room to get said adorable male.



Confusion layers his eyes as he's met with an empty couch instead. Piles of blankets momentarily deceiving him.



Flipping around he calls out, "Yi- Mr. Wu? You okay?"



A moment later a door opens and Yifan shuffles out from the conjoined hall with a stuffed animal tucked under his arm.



It's almost as if Tao isn't there as he brushes by him to lie on the couch and snuggles with his alpaca, wrapping the blankets around himself and his fuzzy little plushie.



A look of actual-what-the--am-I-witnessing crosses Tao's face as he stands in shock for a minute.



Yifan yawns and rubs at his eye, his hand other hand still grasping at the plushie.



"This...is...so ing cute!" He screams internally and just grasps at the air pathetically.



Forgetting the soup Tao scrambles further into the living room to watch Yifan. The older, being too dead tired to notice his hyper active caretaker, just continues drifting in and out of consciousness.



Cooing and practically in tears the younger just watches until Yifan tosses over and is no longer facing him.



He frowns; his view obstructed, and then remembers the soup. Padding back to the kitchen he reheats the bowl and places it on the sleek breakfast table.



He takes a moment to look around and just nods in respect.



Clean and neat.



But sadly there's not even a personal photo in a frame. It's like no one lives here, like a show house.



But that's just the main section. Luhan's room is a different story that Tao would rather stay between the binded pages.



Mentally preparing himself he heads back and almost melts at the sight of a grown man snuggling with a child's toy.



It's rather nice seeing this side of him. It provides a rather strong contrast to his normal aloofness.



While it is true the first time he met Yifan was unofficial it still struck a chord within him.



Sitting in that cell Tao had been biting his nails in anxiety when he realized he would have to explain to his mom that he got arrested. Even if it was in the name of art she would flip out and rant about him having to complete his education without getting deported.



When Wu Yifan had stormed into the station like he owned the place a holy glow had been shining down on him from God knows were.



Yet a darker part of Tao wanted to admit that that heavenly aura was more of his imagination wanting to physically represent how ually attractive the man was.



Or rather how attracted he was to said male.



When his eyes had locked with the blonde's his heart had frozen over in the iciness of the gaze. Not in a cold sense but in a mesmerizing way. Then his eyes had warmed and Tao's breath was taken away.



Yifan's eyes had something in them that confused him to no end. It was almost as if he had somehow known Tao before walking into the police station.



 But then the blonde had merely shrugged his shoulders with a slight grin and signed papers with the key to freedom.



That shrug took a weight off of Tao's shoulder that he wasn't even aware he was bearing. In that western gesture he had solidified the idea that everything was okay.



That he was fine and that the world was still spinning ever so slowly around the sun, so he could relax. He did.



"Mr.Wu~I made soup. Can you eat it so that you can take your medicine?"



Yifan cracks an eye open and pouts, "I'm tired."



"But then after that you can sleep more comfortably because I can give you medicine." He almost forces himself not to sound like he's speaking to a child but he pretty much is.



In the end he has to drag him to sit at the table, the plushie still under his arm. Only sitting and staring at his glazed over eyes does Tao realize Yifan is really sick.



"Damn, Luhan, wasn't kidding. He is pathetic."



But cute.



Reaching out to feel his forehead for a change Tao's heart stutters when Yifan looks up at him and their eyes lock.



The older's gaze gets sharper and he suddenly says, "Why are you so beautiful, Tao?"



As if shocked by an electric current Tao jumps back and removes his hand. Blood pounds behind his ears as Yifan continues to scrutinize him.



Looking him over one last time the older nods to himself, "Unbelievably beautiful." He speaks as if he was answering an internal question.



As if Tao's inner thoughts aren't free falling rapidly Yifan casually picks up his spoon and begins to eat.



The ink haired male's cheeks are flaming as he brings up his fists to rest on the heated skin. Eyes skirting around to everywhere that isn't Yifan he's met with the feeling of his phone receiving a text.



Sighing graciously at the distraction he slips his phone from his back pocket.



From: Satannie

Sooooo how's Yifannie? I'm sorry to ask this of you but I can't come back until 2am... Sorry!!! >_<



"Unbelievable." Tao huffs as he stares at the message for a few more minutes, then shoves his phone away.



It's only nine o'clock and he has to be here till two hours past midnight. It's not that Tao doesn't want to help Yifan.



He just doesn't want to help Luhan. But since it’s a package deal he'd rather be there for Yifan.



Though being here and so close to the vulnerable elder is making him more nervous than usual. Yifan obviously isn't in his right mind if he's complimenting Tao right now, or that's what the younger thinks at least.



Leaning back in his chair he pouts a little at the thought of it being merely his fever that caused those words. Then his sight jumps to Yifan as the sound of a metal spoon clattering to the table is heard.



The soup is, like, two thirds done but that's not the problem.

 

Breathing raggedly and face flushed Yifan's hand is grasping at his temple. His eyes are screwed shut and beads of sweat are appearing. Under the flush he seems pasty and his trembles are a tad violent.



"Oh, ." Tao almost knocks his chair over to uncap the medicine and pour a glass of water.



After handing over the necessities he watches Yifan like a hawk in case he needs assistance. He does fine though and just needs Tao to lead him back to the couch to lie down. Though that tremble is still with him.



As he curls up into a ball with his plushie Tao mentally slaps himself. Here he was having a mental breakdown over his own issues when Yifan's in pain.



He's about to retire to mopping in the kitchen for the night, unless called upon, when Yifan's hand latches onto his for the second time that night.



Heart thumping painfully Tao slowly turns toward the blonde as he barely manages to whisper, "Stay."



His eyes double as he's pulled to sit on the couch beside Yifan's head. After a moment the ink haired boy pulls the blanket over him and tucks him in.



Yifan shimmies up to rest his head in Tao's lap. A smile forms on the younger's face, he doesn't even think much of it, and continues to wrap him in the soft fleece.



As his hands tuck the blanket around his shoulders his fingers start to unconsciously trail up his neck. Following the sharp curve of his jaw line his fingers ghost over his cheek and up to his hairline.



Hesitation settles in Tao's gut but a quick peek at his relaxed breathing reveals that he's asleep. Without an ounce of fear he starts to run his fingers through the gossamer strands of the blonde's silky hair.



As he continues the older's hair at a steady pace he feels bits of calm drift into him with each passing second.



I wish it could always be like this, Yifan.



You and I together like this.



But we're leagues apart once more when the sun rises.



It's a pity too. Your conscious seems to like me.



Minutes later his fingers pause in the hair as his eyelids close. Hand falling limp in the golden strands.



It's half past two when Luhan tiptoes into the apartment.



The sight he's met with just warms his core.


 




About two weeks later and all Luhan can say about Tao and Yifan's relationship is this:



Baby steps.



It's baby steps, Luhan's figures. Because Yifan used to duck out of the room upon entering and seeing the ink haired male also present.



This has been happening ever since Tao took care of him while he was sick weeks ago. It was as if it had never even happened.



 Which really is problematic since Luhan invites Sehun over often and Jongin tags along but then drags Tao in for some reason unknown to him.



But don't get him wrong he rather enjoys Tao's company, and the others- for the most part. It's just that he knows his older brother would enjoy the ink haired boy's presence a lot more than him.



So it's really disappointing when Luhan busts in and announces their sudden company and Yifan gets all stiff. But again, at least he's not high tailing out of the room anymore.



It's baby steps.



Even Tao is affected by Yifan's every move and it's rather cute. The way his fingers start to twitch together and he looks down with a blush tinging his cheeks.



He thinks that no one can see it past the dark fringe of his hair but Luhan does. In fact he waits for it cause it just ignites his urge to get the two together every time he sees it.



The dramas and mangas lied to him. His whole childhood is a lie.



Taking care of a sick person doesn't make them fall deeper in love or even in love in the first place.



Ever since that day they skirt around each other like the sun and the moon. It's so frustrating.



Today though was even worse than the last time they saw each other.



Another thing Luhan's learnt is that the more often Tao sees the older blonde the more flustered he gets the next time. The only moments he was ever calm around Yifan was when he first met him and when the elder was sick. But somehow it started evolving into shyness after that.



It's really strange and one would think the opposite would occur. That he'd grow accustomed to seeing the older, but without fail he always enters looking a smidgen more panicky than the last time.

 



Even mere minutes ago Tao's eye's had darted around nervously when he passed the threshold of the Wu's apartment for the twentieth time. He had seen the older, Yifan's back to him at the kitchen sink, and had immediately looked away.

 



Luhan tries his hardest to be understanding of the situation but really he ends up just rolling his eyes at the two. He just wants one of them to say something to the other.



Really he's not asking for much. A simple "hello" will suffice.



Anything but the silences that encase their very underdeveloped relationship.



A relationship, mind you, that Luhan can see having the potential to set them both assail for a long long happy time. Because if Luhan knows one human being more than any other it's his stupid older brother Yifan.



The poor man doesn't know much about human interaction, aside from his job where he's a god because of his work ethic.



But it's because he's on a pedestal at work that he doesn't know how to interact save for clients. He doesn't have a friend, save for his scary assistant and secretary, in the office and its mind boggling that they're all scared of him when he's more scared of them.



How ironic.



So that’s how he ends up turning into more of a stumbling mess than he usually is when Tao enters the apartment. But like damn, if he shakes you up that much do something!



Tao's not much help as time passes either. Honestly, he's dangerously skittering toward being more awkward than Yifan lately.



Wow, wait, no.



He's not there yet. But it's the closest Luhan has ever witnessed in another human being. Having a dangerously similar way with Yifan of basic human interaction that is.



All in all Tao's not there yet but that is not only a ginormous accomplishment but a not so good one as well. But he's still not as awkward for the record.



And for that Luhan thanks the higher powers in play here on earth.



But the younger Wu can't really penalize the poor kid, who’s only a month younger than himself.



Yifan though...he needs some work.



Who at first would completely back pedal out of the room, coffee cup pressed to his lips and irises weed level blown. Tao was never that bad and as long as Luhan's around Tao will never get that bad.



Now all he does is awkwardly skitter around his own home, like an overgrown gangly bug. And Wu Yifan is awkward enough in the comfort of his own presence, thank you very much.



Even right at this very moment Yifan's slowly inching to the bookshelf just behind the couch, behind Tao. Luhan can only roll his eyes because, mind you, Tao can't even ing see him.



There is no reason to still be that frightened by the back of his head.



Yifan's footsteps are padded by the thick fluffy socks their grandmother always sends them, so he's also got stealth on his side.

 

They're the ones that Luhan gave away because: they had rubber ducks on them this year.



That is NOT manly.



But Yifan's feet must be cold or his fashion sense nulled by the boy he's staring at as he blindly reaches for a book behind him.



The atrocities are on his feet!



A snicker bubbles past Luhan's lips and Sehun gives him a hurt look.



Oh, Sehun was talking about how his pet hamster was eaten by his neighbor's dog back home recently.



Whoops, but who the hell lets a hamster out, a ?



His senile grandmother, oh.



Luhan blinks and pats Sehun's shoulder as he returns his attention to the soft gaze of Yifan. A smile tugs at the corner of his mouth as he continues to reach for- oh.



The younger Wu's eyebrow rises because my oh my Yifan truly is blindly reaching for a book.



  It's only then that Luhan thinks he's made progress. Because he's not only looking at, the back of Tao's head, Tao while also being in the same room. But came out of his room solely to look at Tao.



Insane. The world may cease its revolution and blow up now.



Luhan grips his sandwich tightly as he watches Tao suddenly stiffen.



Realization finally dawning that there's someone behind him. That someone being Wu Yifan.



Of course he saw Yifan enter the room. He was just busy picking at his perfectly fine sandwich and managed to avoid looking up for the time being.



But once he discovered Yifan wasn't leaving he sat and stared straight ahead.



But from his slight twitch and small smile Luhan can tell he's both itching to turn his head and enjoying the attention he's receiving.



Not even Jongin's insane laughter from right next to him can bring him out of his almost hypnotized state. Tao's breathing shallow and his cheeks are pink.



Luhan finds it incredibly cute that their proximity with each other has such a catalyst of events. It’s about as endearing as it is vomit provoking.



It's in this moment that Luhan can see the potential they share for each other coming into affect. They wouldn't be perfect but they'd be pretty damn near close.



He can't help but smile at the events happening right behind the backs of Sehun and Jongin as they continue their sad tales with animals. Or rather in front of Sehun and behind Jongin's back because Sehun is sitting right next to Luhan, dammit.



 Somehow they're too dense to sense the tension between their own friend and other friend's older brother but that's alright.



Tao continues to blush.



Yifan continues to hold onto a book he doesn't need.



Sehun continues to stare at the coffee table like it caused his hamster to be murdered.



Jongin continues to eat a sandwich that he stole from Sehun.



And Luhan just grins because somehow he's catching all of this.



But then Sehun, stupid stupid STUPID Oh Sehun, speaks from the spot right next to him. While looking for his sandwich he happens to twist to the side and spot Yifan at the bookshelf.



"Nice socks, Hyung." He snickers and Jongin turns because the only person Oh Sehun calls Hyung amongst them is the owner of the apartment, as sad as that sounds.



Tao wants to turn around but he can't. If he turns around then he'll possibly have to maybe meet Yifan's eyes and that'd be the end of him.



Luhan face palms as Jongin starts manically cackling with Sehun and Yifan raises an eyebrow.



"Uh, they're rather comfortable and Luhan got a pair too so why am I being laughed at?"

"Luhan's got a pair too?"



The idiots share a look and continue to hoot and holler like nimrods.



Luhan violently rolls his eyes to the back of his head. Why, why why why?



But then he remembers something crucial. He shoots his gaze to Tao so quickly that the younger jumps back startled.



"What?" He manages to squeak and peeks a glance at Yifan momentarily distracted by Sehun and Kai.



"Hey, when are you starting that internship? It's been weeks."



"Oh," Tao blushes and Luhan leans further in.



"It already started."



"What."



Luhan's completely bricked right now.



He doesn't even care that Yifan is giving away facts about him that should be kept family secrets, that's how devastated he is right now by his own plans.



But he can't help but overhear them now that Tao's refusing to meet his eyes.



"So you mean to tell us that Luhan used to keep his hair long and put it in ponytails and wear eyeliner and wear leggings and long sweaters and-"



"-and dance to early girls' generation songs and paint his nails and write emo poetry and obsess over DBSK and still is traumatized that they broke up?"



Sehun and Kai look at Yifan in amazement. While the oldest just nods from behind some book he's holding.



"His favorite was Yunho. He looked like a brick. Luhan apparently likes brick faced guys so no need to fear, Sehun that's why Luhan likes you."



Sehun stops laughing.



And Luhan's face goes impossibly red as he sputters wondering how his brother could have spilled that much about him, meanwhile he hasn't even gotten anything out of Tao.



This time it's Kai hooting and hollering like a nimrod while Tao snickers behind his sandwich, he still hasn't finished somehow.



Luhan's ready to murder his older brother when he sees that shy blush spread across Yifan's face because he managed to make Tao laugh.



And Luhan realizes halting his own pain isn't worth his brother's happiness.



"Do I really look like a brick, Kai?" Sehun whispers once Kai's stopped laughing.



Kai wipes a tear from his eye, "Damn right you do!" And he ends up having another fit but this time with Tao.



Yifan's grin widens and Luhan grits his teeth.



For Yifan.

 



Okay...hi?

So yeah...sorry if it seemed like i died...

i was busy with school starting and bull 

but anyway im sorry for being such a slow updater 

its just that i really want these chapters to make sense...?

this story honesyly has been in my ipod note's archive for about a year now...

i have literally 32 unfinished stories there

so if anything seems off or i make a mistake plz do not hesitate to tell me

although i will cry if thats all u have to say about my story

jk

but seriously

COMMENT

SUBSCRIBE

UPVOTE

(is this story even good enuf for that?? idk)

follow me on tumblr

shineesttiara.tumblr.com

I love u all regardless if u can make it through these ty chapters u deserve a ing medal

sorry this is so long...

but Q2:

Do you think Luhan's a  good brother? Why? 

bts this is not bcuz im trying to quiz anyont its just so i can see if im protraying them accurately or nah

 

love u all ~Tiara ^u^