Of Coffee Cups, Skateboards, & Good Luck

Fluttering Fate

 

 

 

 

A light brown stained circular ring.

 

Atop of it a coffee mug, placed perfectly in position. As always.

 

That spot had a place that was meant to be filled.

 

Wu Yifan knew that.

 

Hence his reason for placing his coffee in that specific spot every morning, even if the spot was caused by his carelessness. It was there and he wasn't changing it.

 

 It was nice and reassuring knowing that everything in his life had a place and a reason for the rhyme.

 

But even as his head turns away from the scenic view, his lofty apartment balcony entails, to the wood floors and sleek countertop of his modern luxurious kitchen, he can't help but wonder if he's missing something.

 

Something that will make him feel at ease and refreshed. Because as nice and expensive his apartment is and all. Or his whole life in general. He can't help but ponder if he himself is missing something.

 

That thing he is missing though, unknown to him, isn't a thing at all.

 

But a person. A soul. Another living human being that could be there for him when he gets home from his high paying job to ease his mind.

 

But he doesn't know that.

 

Yet.

 

A sudden noise shocks him from the usual quiet street beneath him. As he peers over his balcony he spies a single boy gliding on a skateboard down the hill in front of his balcony to be the source of the disruption.

 

His ears tune out all other sounds but that of four small wheels rolling over gravel and concrete.

 

The boy with hair as inky black as the night weaves his way down the street, expertly dodging cars parked along the street.

 

Despite the uneven road below him, the boy proves that he is the master of his wheels with the way he leans his body as he flies down the road.

 

It's a new sight for Yifan and he clicks his tongue at the disruption in mild annoyance.

 

But as weeks go by and the boy continues at nine on the dot to glide down the steep slope of the road, Yifan starts to see the art in the way he maneuvers his self-down the hill.

 

It becomes a part of his everyday routine as well. To watch this university aged boy ride down the street.

 

Yifan's tall frame leaning over his balcony, his morning coffee in hand, as he would watch the boy. Golden hair tousling in the stagnant wind, a smile would grace his otherwise stoic features as the boy would glide by every morning.

 

Placing that same coffee mug on its abused discolored ring on the outdoor patio set. He would take note of the way the boy would shift his hips and bend his knees at every turn.

 

But then, every day at the same time, Yifan would sigh when the boy disappeared down the road. Lifting his mug from the stained table and going back inside. Rinsing the mug and setting it on its rack so it could yet again be there for him the next day.

 

Then he gets ready for work.

 

This went on for weeks before a change in the routine occurred.

 

Instead of the dark haired boy gliding down the road alone, he would occasionally not be alone.

 

Sometimes a boy with rainbow dyed hair, hands in his pockets, and a face expression as stoic as Yifan's would be with the other.

 

Or a tan skinned boy that always had a smile on his face, turning his eyes into crescents as the wind ripped through his chocolate colored hair, and sleeveless tanks wrapped around his built torso would be with him.

 

But that inky haired boy would always be there. When it was all three of them Yifan would sometimes be able to hear laughter coming from the ink haired boy.

 

It was music to his ears and a smile would grace his face yet again as he would bring his mug to his lips.

 

Unknown to the golden haired man is that he was falling deeper in love with that ink haired boy every day.

 


A pout settles onto Yifan's face as he stares at the contents of his fridge. Or should it be the lack of contents, considering he only had an egg and empty milk carton in his sleek high-tec fridge.

 

Blowing the fringe out of his eyes he shuts the fridge and grabs his coat and keys, planning a late night run to the grocery store.

 

As his feet hit the pavement he glances at the street. The street that that boy would ride down every morning.

 

His feet makes small scuffing noises in the cool night as he wonders what the dark haired boy's doing right now. Its midnight and a Friday night.

 

It may be strange for someone Yifan's age to be home alone on a Friday but he's already accepted that he wasn't normal a long time ago.

 

On his way back from the store, his few plastic bags hanging from his arms, he passes police lights in an alleyway.

 

Being the bored and ever curious twenty-six year old he is he backs up and looks down the alley to a familiar set of faces being pulled toward flashing patrol cars.

 

Confusion settles onto the blonde's face until he spies the colorful graphiti on the brick wall being illuminated by the police lights. The paint still wet.

 

A smile replaces his previous look at the art and he locks eyes with the ink haired male for the first time.

 

In the boy’s eyes is a mixture of annoyance and anxiety as his eyes flit over Yifan's. The other familiar boys have the same look as they're hauled into the back of the other car.

 

Humming to himself as he continues on his way home. Immediately putting away his groceries upon entering while simultaneously searching on his iphone how much bail is.

 

As soon as his fridge is filled he slips his shoes back on and enters into his phone the directions for the police station. Placing his phone on his counter he fails to notice the beeping of a new message as he slams the door shut behind him.

 

When he arrives he spots the officer from earlier that arrested the boys, "Uh, Hi, I'm here to pay bail."

 

The officer snorts taking in Yifan's polished look, "Who for?"

 

"Oh, Just three boys that were arrested for destruction of property." Yifan smiles at the officer and the other just eyes him.

 

"You mean the ones that graphitied?"

 

"Yup, that's them." Yifan nods as the officer leads him to the right room, yelling out to the officer in the back, "Hold off on those three delinquent's calls, someone's bailing them."

 

The blonde takes a seat at a set of desks across from the jail cell. As he looks up from the papers shoved in front of him he sees the ink haired boy in the cell staring at him with his head tilted to one side in confusion.

 

The ink haired boy can feel something from the older man. What it is he doesn't know, but it's begging him to know more about this individual.

 

Yifan just shrugs at the boy and returns to signing the papers. When it asks how he's related to them he thinks for a moment what he can write without being creepy or a liar.

 

After a moment of pen tapping hesitation he inks acquaintance into the desired box.

 

Looking over the papers with their names and photo IDs he notes that the ink haired boy is also Chinese like himself but the other two are Korean.

 

"Huang Zitao. Goes by Tao.

 

Kim Jongin. Goes by Kai, interesting.

 

And Oh Sehun."

 

He whispers with a nod, relived that he finally knows their names.

 

When the papers are stamped and filed the jail cell door is slid open. The three boys look visibly relieved that they got bail from an anonymous source.

 

One of them, Kim Jongin, asks the officer who bailed them, since they didn't get to call their parents.

 

The officer just aims a thumb lazily toward Yifan's retreating figure and tells the boys his name.

 

"Wu Yifan!" Jongin calls out, his hands cupping around his mouth, a smile crinkling the corners of his eyes at the older.

 

Yifan stops mid step and glances over his shoulder at the boy.

 

Tao feels his eyes widen as he takes in the man's face. Since his piercing eyes aren't on him he feels free to gaze at Yifan's other handsome features. Unlike earlier when all he could do was send a fleeting glance.

 

"Thank you!" Jongin adds with a grin.

 

Yifan just smiles back and puts up a hand reassuringly as he turns to continue leaving the station.

 

"Who even was that?" Sehun adds as Tao just stares at Yifan's back.

 

"I don't know, my friend, but he bailed us out of jail so he has to be a benefactor of some sort." He then changes the subject and smiles creepily at the youngest.

 

"So, Sehun, tell me about that cute boy you were showing around earlier on campus...” Kai wraps an arm around Sehun and he pulls him out of the station, Tao looking dazed follows them out.

 

His thoughts returning to the blonde man that seemed so carefree and relaxed. Tao wished he could be like that. Hell, the man even had spare money to bail strangers out of jail.

 

"Tao, You coming?" Sehun and Kai stare at him, perplexed looks on their faces as to why Tao just stopped on the middle of the sidewalk and is staring at the ground.

 

"Oh, uh, yeah. Sorry." He huffs as he picks up his feet reluctantly catching up to his friends ahead.

 

Even if a part of him mysteriously wants to follow their beautiful savior.

 

To thank him of course. What else.

 

"He doesn't even know you, Tao. Don't kid yourself." He scoffs to himself. But he can't help but want to return the favor.

 


 

As soon as Yifan steps into his apartment he feels the change settle into his heart.

 

Huang Zitao.

 

Zitao.

 

Tao.

 

Hell, however one could address him, Yifan could feel himself getting giddy that he knew the boy's name now.

 

A step up from yesterday's stagnant staring without even knowing the boy's name.

 

Yifan was normally one that hated even moving where his furniture lies from the moment it’s placed down. So for once a change occurred that he was pleased with, besides the boy initially skating down that road.

 

Tossing his jacket over his couch, instead of the hook it belongs on; he finds his way to the kitchen and to his surprise the soft glow of his phone. A stark contrast to the black granite countertops.

 

Unlocking his screen he sighs and types a reply to the onslaught of messages one after the other:

 

Of course I'm home...where else would I be?

 

You know I'm in Korea or you would have seen me for the past few years

 

Yes I'm still single

 

I don't know why you're bothering to ask for permission when I know you're going to be here in my apartment tomorrow whether I want it or not.

 

Plus mother would be pissed if I didn't offer free housing. She almost flipped about you staying the night on campus even though I told her it was free.

 

Yes you can eat my food. Why would you ask.

 

Oh...I mean that's already made...obviously I'm not cooking anything...unless you want to die

 

I don't love you...I just put up with your bull time and time again bcuz you're my brother...wait maybe that is love..? Idk

 

Stop texting me you little piece of

 

Giving up he tosses his phone onto his granite counter on his way to his bedroom. Shedding his clothing along the hallway floor as he goes. He's too tired to put it in the laundry now.

 

Throwing his tall frame across his bed sheets he quickly settles in amongst his array of soft pillows and sleep finally takes him.

 

He doesn't know it now, but Tao is one person that he will not be able to avoid. He should just learn to accept his feelings.

 

No matter how unjustified. These things take time to grow. He shouldn't pull the root but instead nourish it and watch it grow.

 


 

A sigh escapes the blonde's soft lips as Tao skates down the road once more the next day. Accompanied by Jongin only this time, Yifan briefly wonders where Sehun is.

 

Sipping on his coffee he closes his eyes momentarily. The sound of a skateboard rolling on pavement is starting to sound like Debussy in comparison to all the noise he hears regularly.

 

When he opens his eyes Zitao and Jongin are practically gone. Tiny little dots in his field of vision until they blink out.

 

Going inside he rinses the cup out and proceeds to get ready for his day.

 

As he brushes his teeth his eyes fall on the ceramic holder for his toothbrush. It only has two slots. One is always filled. While the other is always empty.

 

His brushing slows down to a stop as he gazes at the two empty spots. He knows that once he puts his toothbrush back it will be half filled again.

 

But the pessimistic side of him argues that it'll be half empty again.

 

A small bought of anger consumes the blonde as he bends to rinse his mouth out. Once his red toothbrush is cleaned he hesitantly puts it back in its lonesome spot.

 

Leaving his bathroom still frustrated he rips his hand through his hair and strips himself of his pajamas.

 

Whilst changing into his suit his thoughts linger longer than necessary on his toothbrush.

 

"This is ridiculous." He huffs as he quickly bolts back to the bathroom to instead place his toothbrush lengthwise on the holder.

 

Defying his personal rules, he's starting to find, is rather enjoyable.

 

Pathetic, yes. But still very enjoyable.

 

As he breezes into his office that day his tie is loose. And his hair is lazily pushed out of his face. Not in its normally suave slicked back professional hairdo that he reserves for work.

 

His receptionist does a double take as he does his regular greeting, his voice faltering as he looks up at his boss.

 

After he's settled into his office. Yifan even dares to put his feet up on his desk, a motion he always shuddered at.

 

Leaning back in his swivel chair, catching the warmth of the window behind him, and shutting his eyes he almost doesn't hear the knock the first time.

 

"Come in." He responds breathlessly as he slowly slits his eyes open.

 

Faced with a wide eyed Kyungsoo, his receptionist, he wonders what the problem could possibly be.

 

Until he sees Kyungsoo's horrified gaze aimed at his feet currently propped up on his desk.

 

"Uh...Mr. Wu...Are you feeling okay?"

 

Yifan blinks, "Yeah, I'm fine. Never better."

 

But he was anything but. He felt liberated from his pin straight actions he always made sure where perfectly executed.

 

Kyungsoo stares at him unsure, "Right."

 

Clearing his throat he continues, "I arranged for a cab to pick up your younger brother from his university, since he had stayed overnight for his orientation."

 

Yifan nods at his assistant to continue.

 

"You have an appointment at eleven with investors from..."

 

The blonde's thoughts start to travel. As his receptionist elaborates on his schedule for the day he starts to wonder what a certain ink haired skater is doing at this time.

 

He's probably in class now. If he goes to that university down the street that is.

 

Yifan muses as Kyungsoo waves his hand in front of his face to pay attention.

 

"Sir, are you feeling okay? Cause you normally don't zone out. If you're feeling sick you can just take off. You almost never take sick days so you have a heavy amount saved up. You should really use them."

 

Yifan barely listens and just nods.

 

Kyungsoo sighs and continues speaking even if his boss isn't hearing him correctly.

 

Later when Yifan arrives home he is attacked upon entering his door by his brother.

 

It almost gives Yifan a heart attack until he recalls Kyungsoo's words from earlier.

 

"Yifannie!" Luhan screams as he attaches himself to the taller's waist. Snuggling into his chest he clings tightly like a koala bear.

 

Yifan laughs and tries to unwind the boy from him to no avail. He gives up and just deals with walking with his newfound attachment.

 

"Yifannie. Yifannie! Did ya miss me? I know I would miss me! Are you really still single?"

 

An onslaught of questions meet Yifan as he stumbles into his kitchen. Luhan still clinging for dear life onto him.

 

He finally manages to peal the boy from his torso and throws him onto the couch. Luhan just whines and keeps on asking question that aren't being answered.

 

"I missed you too, Luhan." Yifan rolls his eyes as he wanders into his bathroom. As his eyes land on his toothbrush placed on top of the two slots, his heart clenches a little.

 

"More than you will ever know." He whispers to himself as he stares at the double toothbrush holder.

 


 

"Watcha lookin at?"

 

Yifan almost has a heart attack; one of his hands flies to his chest to stop the hammering while the other grips the hand railing. Breathing heavily his knees almost lock as he wildly eyes Luhan.

 

The boy just blinks at him, "What?"

 

His blonde little tufts sticking up haphazardly from sleep as he sticks his head out the glass door. Still clad in his sleepwear, probably.

 

It's questionable since he's wearing sweatpants and a tee. But then again people do leave the house like that.

 

Yifan eyes him disdainfully. He himself thinks leaving the house in such a way is unprofessional.

 

 Or maybe everything Luhan does annoys him to the degree of him stapling unprofessional to the boy, for the hell of it.

 

Sliding the door open more he steps out to join his older brother on the balcony.

 

"Wahhhh!" He breathes as he stretches his back, completely ignoring Yifan. Who is currently trying to mentally drill a hole into Luhan's skull.

 

"It's so nice and fresh out here. Do you come out here often?"

 

Only every day.

 

"Occasionally." Yifan lies through his teeth as he picks up his mug from its brown stain on his table. Thankful that he wasn't holding it when Luhan arrived.

 

"Really? Cause I would come out every morning."

 

Ditto. Already accomplished.

 

Yifan rolls his eyes and slowly sips the remainder of his coffee, "Shouldn't you be doing something? Like finding out when you need to be at your new university and not annoying me."

 

At the thought of starting a new semester that day, Luhan's eyes widen almost comically as he brings his hand to his face, "I completely forgot I have class today."

 

The older chokes on the last of his coffee and Luhan just slams his palm onto his back, trying to be nice but failing, as he elaborates, "I mean I went yesterday to check it out, so I think I'll be fine. I mean plus I woke up early. So that's a start. I just just now forgot. Don't worry, Yifannie!"

 

The older is starting to have second thoughts on if he can live with his brother for the next few months or not.

When Yifan asked he never thought Luhan could actually forget such a thing.

 

The older really doesn't want to have to deal with someone in need of guidance. The whole point of Luhan coming to study in Korea was for him to gain independence. Not have Yifan take care of him.

 

But he's starting to fear that might end up becoming the case.

 

When Yifan's airways are no longer constricted he coughs out, "Then why are you still here?"

 

As Luhan's about to verbally reply, the answer arrives in an unexpectedly different format.

 

The doorbell chimes and Yifan almost drops his coffee mug off his balcony startled. As he fumbles with the mug he wonders of the last time he heard his doorbell ring.

 

 Or if it ever has.

 

"Well, while you're busy being you. I'm gonna answer the door." Luhan says with a weirded out face, openly judging his older brother's lameness.

 

Proud that he didn't drop the mug off the balcony, and ignoring Luhan's retreating grimace. Yifan delays meeting Luhan's guest and just inspects his precious cup thoroughly. Practically hugging it to his chest.

 

He continues scrutinizing his mug for any chips or dents, mumbling and eyes squinting, as Luhan calls out, "Sehunnie!" Attaching himself to said rainbow haired male.

 

Still out on the balcony Yifan hears the guest's name and almost falls backwards.

 

Not a good thing considering his height, he ends up, again, almost having a heart attack as he barely regains his balance.

 

Once upright he starts to panic. He's always had social anxiety. If there was no legal profit in the relationship he didn't start it or take part in it.

 

It even earned him the title of "Ice Prince" around the office he works at. But what they don't know is he doesn't avoid people because he thinks he's of a higher class but because he's afraid of people getting to know him.

 

So he opts for staying on his back deck overlooking the city. But then he remembers who it is that’s in that room with his brother.

 

And it hits him like a refreshingly cool wave.

 

In this individual's eyes he's seen as a god send.

 

Hell if anything. He was a God in the boy's eyes.

 

What college aged boy wouldn't want some stranger to bail them out of jail for free? Added was the fact that the parents would have no idea.

 

He has no reason to fear confrontation with this boy.

 

This new revelation empowers him to leave his balcony, place his mug in his sink, and approach Sehun.

 

Doing a one-eighty personality change the tall blonde smiles as he appears behind Luhan.

 

"Oh Sehun, Right?" He leans forward to shake hands with the gapping nineteen year old. While smiling, eyes included. It's the realist faux smile ever invented.

 

"Y-you're Wu Yifan." Luhan tilts his head in confusion and steps back, his hand raises to halt all conversation, "Wait a second. How do you know my brother Sehun?"

 

Sehun scratches his head, looking hesitant to answer, "Uh...erm..well...you see-"

 

The rainbow haired boy starts to fidget as Luhan stares at him expectantly, with wide eyes.

 

"I just helped him and his friends with something small. It wasn't that problematic, don't worry, Luhan."

 

Luhan turns to slant his eyes at Yifan. His eyebrow raised in confusion at another detail.

 

How Yifan still, after all these years, manages to be calm and collected in front of strangers. Yet if he knew you well enough he could easily be himself.

 

But being himself entrails him to being a klutzy idiot. It was a skill that pivoted Yifan through his life and up the metaphorical ladder of his career.

 

As Luhan watches Yifan converse with Sehun he can't help but wonder if there's anyone else that could ever make Yifan be himself.

 

"Oh, Lulu-"

 

Yifan's eyebrow twitches as the nickname escapes Sehun.

 

Sehun sees it and falters slightly, his finger's grip on the trucks of his board tighten, "We're going to be late if we don't leave now."

 

Luhan nods but then grimaces, "I'm dressed, enough, even though I forgot about class today. Whoops. But I haven't even done my hair." He whines as he grabs his bag from off the couch.

 

Yifan nudges him to get his messenger bag for him as well, the younger does so begrudgingly.

 

"It looks fine." Sehun breathes as he places his hand on the doorknob, watching Luhan scramble around.

 

Yifan watches as a thought unconsciously hits and escapes him, "Hey, where's your other friend, Zitao?"

 

As the name slips past his lips he internally curses. He didn't even mean to mention a name. But he was too busy wondering why Zitao wasn't with them since neither Sehun nor Jongin came this way without him.

 

To the blonde's horror Sehun just blinks at him, a sign he's more focused on the question itself rather than answering it.

 

Yifan just blinks back.

 

"He's ou- wait how'd you know Tao was with me?"

 

An awkward second accompanies them for a moment until Luhan catches the small bout of panic in his older brother's eyes.

 

The younger of the two brothers rolls his eyes in contemplation. But then decides Yifan is too much of a to save himself. Blowing the fringe out of his eyes he decides to do a favor answers for him, for once.

 

"I may or may not have mentioned Tao's name, okay." Yifan lets out an inward sigh as Luhan covers for him.

 

The tall blonde stands by the door and as Luhan passes to leave he grips his brother's collar with one hand, the other simultaneously shoving Yifan's bag into his gut, "We're going to talk about his later."

 

He releases the bag with an angelic smile and Yifan can only wheeze as they exit and lock the door behind them.

 

He breathes deeply and turns around to follow his brother and his...uh, <> per say.

 

Only to let out the most unmanliest shriek when a certain ink haired male is facing him.

 

Throwing himself back against his closed doorframe, Yifan feels his soul almost leave him for the tenth time that morning. Eyes crazed as he clings to the door and his legs almost buckle.

 

A little down the hall Luhan immediately starts to openly laugh at the scene. While Sehun is kind enough to hold back his snickers. He hushes Luhan with twitching lips and holds him upright as the older doubles over.

 

The individual that scared the oldest though looks earnestly sorry, ". Sorry! I didn't mean to scare you!" Tao pleads as Yifan slowly puts himself back together. Tao hugs his board closer behind his back as he analyzes the blonde's reaction.

 

Running a hand sheepishly through his hair Yifan grimaces, "No, it's my fault. I let that-" He waves a hand at Luhan, who looks offended, "- stay in my place and now I'm jumpy."

 

But it is Yifan's fault for the current embarrassment he feels.

 

Tao on the other hand looks genuinely concerned and keeps asking if he's okay as they all ride the elevator down.

 

"I'm really sorry." The boy practically has tears in his eyes. Not only did he scare he savior but he also found a frightened Yifan to be the cutest thing in the world. The true reason behind his incessant apologies.

 

He didn't want to form an attachment to the older, any more than he already has at least. So to find something as trivial as fright to be attractive? Inconceivable.

 

But he can't help but be drawn to the older guy anyway. Everything about Wu Yifan radiates power. From his stature to his normal face expression.

 

Huang Zitao tends to be drawn to those details in a person.

 

But the selling point is always a dash of stupid because you can never be bored with a person like that.

 

All the while Luhan watches with a smug grin, plastered across his perfect face, as he drinks in their whole conversation. Not even attempting to hide his blatant staring he over analyzes the two.

 

 In stark contrast is Sehun checking his phone for messages, and not even aware of the complete change in Wu Yifan's character other than the first display. That display being the near soiling of the hallway carpet because some people don’t realize that "wait outside" doesn't mean press yourself close to the door.

 

As Tao continues to apologize Yifan continues to be flustered.

 

And that right there answers Luhan's question of the century.

 

Because there is one person that isn't family that can make Yifan be himself.

 

And that person is Huang Zitao.

 

And Luhan is going to make sure they get and stay together forever.

 

Or he's gonna die damn sure trying.

 

 



 

Ohmagerd. If you've found this ridiculousness and are still around...

THANK YOU SO MUCH

okay so lemme introduce myself (it looks like purple line...if u get that ref we can be bffs)

I'm Tiara and im so sorry for my story  i hope you enjoy this story because this is my first time writting with on going chapters

i will try my hardest to update regularly 

so plz subscribe and comment!!!

if u don't know what to talk about then here u go 

a question!!!

Q #1: Who's your favorite character so far and why?

thank you again so much for reading!!! 

-Tiara