[Drabble 2] Some things are worth it.

From Here On

 

There was something different about today.

It was in the air.

It was the in mood of the environment. It was in the birds that seemed to chirp louder. It was in the passing animal- deer, rabbits- that seemed to prance around with a more jovially pace. It was in the wind that blew with a gentle caress. It was in the sun that shined extra brightly. It was even in the flowers that swayed to the beat of the wind and bloomed to the rush of every bee.

It was different, but, definitely not in a bad way, and, the elderly woman, her hair grey from age, and her arms thin from time, couldn’t help but smile as she savored the moment.

Her thoughts were that of the past and of times where the world was also much different- only this, in a darker way.

Her hands were preoccupied with the cup of tea she would sip ever so often from, but her eyes were focused in the distance- unseeing.

Times have changed, and, when she finds herself wondering whether it was for the better or for the worst, it’s these moments that would keep her mind positive.

She was about to stand from her seat by the window and walk to the backrooms for her usual noon nap when a voice off in the distance caught her attention. Followed by the voice was the sound of light footsteps and the clack of rocks at they got kicked around on the graveled path.

There was only one person in this reality that lived in that direction, and he had the grace of a man with two left feet- the distinct sound of a foot unintentionally getting caught on the ground and a yelp only further proved her thoughts.

Smiling to herself, she stood up from her seat while simultaneously placing her cup of tea on the table and made her way over to the front door. Just as she reached it, a knocking sound and the call of her name- Granny!- could be heard.

As she opened the door and her sight was filled with that of her grandson, big beautiful brown eyes filled with life and a smile so large it reached ear to ear, another thought came to her mind.

Things might have changed for the worst on some days and for the better on others, but in the end, it was all worth it since she was here today, a feat once impossible, and able to see the smile on this young man’s face.

She matched his grin with her own genuine one.

“Jaejoong.”