Just a Butler

Drabble Collection: KaiSoo

"Spend your time on those who love you unconditionally, don't waste it on those that only love you when the conditions are right for them."

Kyungsoo could feel a pair of eyes follow his every move. It should have scared him, but instead, he felt nothing but comfort. He was actually reassured that he was watching him so intently, and he marveled at the feeling of security that it brought him.

Kyungsoo stood up and shook the hand of his business partner. He smiled one last time before a beautiful girl clad in a pink dress laced their arms together. He felt the smile on his face falter for a bit, but he wouldn't let such a thing happen - especially not in front of his guests; his people.

He had to show them a facade.

And so Kyungsoo smiled at his fiance, and he ignored the painful feeling of his heart constricting as he did so. He was the son of his father, and Kyungsoo would do anything just to make his father proud. Even if it meant that he had to sacrifice his own happiness.

Kyungsoo smiled at her and he began to lead her to the dance floor. She laid her head on his shoulder and hummed in content as he twirled them around expertly. It was a romantic and sweet gesture, but Kyungsoo felt nothing else but torture as he continued to hold her in his arms. He didn't want to hold her, or anyone else for that matter. Kyungsoo wanted to be held. He wanted to be the one being twirled around on the dance floor. He longed to lay his head on somebody's shoulder. Kyungsoo didn't want this. 

Somehow, as they danced, Kyungsoo's eyes met with that of his butlers'. It was an action he regretted right away. He had so much sadness in his eyes, so much pain that Kyungsoo was very much tempted to push the girl away from him and come running straight into Jongin's arms. 

But he didn't. He couldn't.

Or maybe he could... but he was just too scared. 

Kyungsoo reluctantly tore his eyes away and for the rest of the night, he couldn't forget the thought that he was slowly killing them both.

Jongin tucked Kyungsoo in his bed, just like every other night. Kyungsoo would usually smile and bid him goodnight, but after he saw the sadness that seemed to radiate off of Jongin, he wouldn't  be able to bear speaking with him... or looking at him. Or doing anything Jongin-related.

And so Kyungsoo turned away, promptly dismissing Jongin without another word. He tried to relax as best as he could and wait for the usual sound of his door closing. Except... it didn't come. He waited for a few minutes, but he could still feel Jongin's presence lurking behind him.

When Jongin was sure that Kyungsoo had fallen asleep, he reached out to touch his hair but he froz​e and stopped midway. Slowly, as if the action pained him, Jongin let his hand fall deftly at his side.

"Kyungsoo..." Jongin murmured, and Kyungsoo closed his eyes and wondered just how someone could say his name in such an adoring yet painful manner. "I watched you dance with her," Jongin continued and Kyungsoo felt the crack on his heart grow bigger. "Then again, I'm always watching you."

'I know you do.'

"You two are perfect for each other."

'We aren't.'

"It's sad though... Don't you think we would be perfect together too?" 

Was it possible to hear your own heart breaking into pieces? Because Kyungsoo was sure that the sound of shattering glass echoed in his room.

"No, that's a silly thought. I am nothing more than a butler." 

'I -

"And you are nothing more than my master."

'Jongin-'

"Good night, young master. May you have sweet dreams." 

The sound of the door closing behind Jongin sounded so loud that Kyungsoo almost jumped in bed. Jongin had only closed the door... but Kyungsoo felt as if Jongin had left his room with Kyungsoo's heart in tow. 

 

Credits to yeppeunina for the wonderful poster <3