eye to eye

530 / Hiatus

 

“I didn’t know at first why your gaze, looking at me

made me feel so flustered.”

WHITE LOVE STORY - AS ONE

 


 

When Sehun got woken up because someone rang the doorbell in the middle of the night, he’s not surprised because it wouldn’t be the first time – even though his friends know the pin code to his house, when they come at night they always ring the bell. There were only two candidates since Naeun was too polite to come knocking someone’s house late at night and she never had a reason to; Sehun sincerely wished she would never find one. It’s either Jongin or Hyeri.

 

There’s no second bell when Sehun made his way to the front door, meaning the guest was patient enough to wait, so possibly sober.

 

Jongin, Sehun thought as he reached out to open the door without checking the camera.

 

It’s not. It’s Hyeri.

 

“Hunnie,” Hyeri said, the usual cheerful smile absent from her face, resembling an abandoned kitten with the small pout and shoulders slumped down. She took a step forward, a bit staggering, and Sehun reached out a hand to hold her arm, steadying her while Hyeri took off her shoes. She’s clutching a bottle of mineral water on her other hand and that was the thing that surprised Sehun. Usually when Hyeri drank her feelings away, she didn’t remember to take care of herself.

 

Sehun didn’t comment on Hyeri’s condition, how her hair’s a mess and how she reeked of alcohol – he never did. Without a word he helped her get to the couch in the living room, Hyeri threw herself onto the cushions and Sehun left to take a glass of water and bread from the fridge.

 

“Here,” he said a moment after, giving Hyeri the bread and placed the water on the coffee table.

 

“Um… Thanks,” Hyeri muttered before she took a bite and started to eat. Her eyes were swollen and her voice was a little bit hoarse; she’s been crying again, Sehun realized.

 

He stopped studying his friend’s condition, exhaled, and sat himself next to Hyeri, letting the girl snuggled to his side. “… We have school tomorrow, you know,” he said quietly, because the least Hyeri could do was picking a better day to be a mess in the morning.

 

It took a while before Hyeri replied, “… I can’t help it, I need to see him.”

 

No, you don’t, but Sehun didn’t say it out loud because Hyeri had Jongin to be the one who scolds her and Naeun to console her, then there’s Sehun who offers his shoulder for Hyeri to lean on.

 

“… Sehun.”

 

“Hm?”

 

“I think… I think I met someone from the school.”

 

Sehun sat up without a warning and turned to Hyeri who already sat straight, looking down to her lap. “What?”

 

Hyeri waved at the empty bottle she put down on the table. “There’s this girl… I don’t really remember, but she helped me. She’s the one who bought the water and called the taxi for me. … I think she’s our junior.”

 

Sehun heaved a long sigh after Hyeri’s story. “Hyeri…”

 

The teachers already had their eyes on Hyeri since the first year and there’s only so much that Sehun could do to help her. If the junior told her friends about seeing Hyeri drunk in the middle of the night and then went to Sehun’s place, it would guarantee them a trip to his father’s office.

 

“Do you know her? Please tell me you remember her face.”

 

She glanced at Sehun from the corner of her eyes with guilty written all over her face and Sehun sighed again, rubbing his temple.

 

“I remember thinking she’s your sister!” Hyeri blurted out.

 

Sehun frowned. “What is that supposed to mean? You know I don’t have a sister.”

 

“I don’t know, just…”

 

“Does she look like me?”

 

Hyeri nibbled on her lower lip, not answering, clearly didn’t remember why she thought the junior was Sehun’s sister. Sehun rubbed his face once more, very much awake now. He started to calculate their condition, the worst scenarios and what to do if they happened.

 

But there’s nothing they could do right now, and finally Sehun said, “Go wash up and sleep. We’ll see what happen tomorrow.”

 

“Sehun, I’m sorry…,” Hyeri said, tugging on Sehun’s shirt.

 

Sehun’s expression softened, reaching out to ruffle Hyeri’s hair. “No, it’s okay. Don’t worry about it. Let’s just sleep, alright?”

 

He helped Hyeri go to bed and prepared another glass of water on the bedside table along some aspirin in case she would need it the next morning before went back to his room. It took a long time of staring at the ceiling and thinking in the dark until sleep caught Sehun.

 

The next day, Sehun was prepared to get called to his father’s office, Hyeri was extra conscious about how people looked at her, but nothing happened other than the usual. When Sehun checked on his various circle of friends and the school’s online forum, no one heard anything new about Hyeri.

 

Whoever the junior that helped Hyeri was, it seemed that she didn’t say anything about the encounter to anyone.

 

***

 

When Namjoon was announced as the School’s President, some people were questioning it – why Kim Namjoon, why not Oh Sehun?

 

It’s not that Namjoon wasn’t good enough to be the president, it’s just that Sehun was a better choice. Not only he’s more popular, he also managed to gain the trust of all kind of students, from the studious type to them who skipped class daily, from the queen bee to the loner, everyone.

 

But Sehun knew he couldn’t be the president, because—what would they say? The same people who wanted him to be elected, were going to be the same people who talked behind his back about how he got the position because of his father.

 

Until today, only some teachers and the student council members who knew that Sehun was the one who actually won the vote, but he stepped down and gave his position to Namjoon.

 

Namjoon was kind, responsible, and caring. He’s great as the school’s president, and Sehun didn’t regret his choice because it was for the best.

 

Youngjae thought differently. He thought Sehun shouldn’t care about what people said, but Sehun didn’t live that way and Youngjae knew that, too.

 

Yoo Youngjae, the secretary, was Sehun’s best friend from first year, way before Naeun, way before Hyeri and Jongin. He’s clever, able to read people and situation, using it for his convenience – one could say he’s cunning. But if you get his approval, he’s a loyal man, as he was to Sehun, never leave Sehun’s side even when Sehun kept secrets from him, putting him aside.

 

Youngjae just accepted it without question, because he understood, like he understood Sehun’s decision to be the vice president instead. 

 

And then there’s Jung Soojung the treasurer, the only girl in the team. Although she’s grouchy most of the times, she’s also the one who keep everything in order. She’s strict, meticulous, and merciless with the budget, immune to Namjoon’s nonsensical wishes like cute decorations for their office.

 

She’s also immune to Sehun’s smile, and that’s a good thing.  

 

Being with them was comfortable, whether they’re discussing the school’s matter or simply just hanging around together in the student council room. Sehun often spent his times in the office after lesson, even opting to studying there rather than in the class or at the studying hall. There were less people, less distraction.

 

He was also there with the other three with Naeun came barging in that evening, not too long after self-study class ended.

 

***

 

“Sehun!”

 

Four heads turned to the entrance of the Student Council’s office with the sudden appearance and Naeun stepped back, eyes widened when she saw all members of the Student Council were there, almost like she didn’t anticipate seeing them when she’s looking for Sehun.

 

Youngjae was the first to react, turning back to his computer’s screen in front of him. “Hi, Naeun,” he said.

 

“Naeun-ah!” Namjoon was a friendly person by nature, and he greeted the girl with a big wave accompanying his grin that didn’t falter even though Naeun flinched away at his voice.

 

“What do you want? We’re busy,” Soojung hissed, scowling at Naeun. At this, Namjoon gasped and kicked her chair, shaking his head to reprimand her when Soojung glared at him.

 

“Excuse us,” Sehun said to the others before he stood up.

 

Soojung channeled her glare to Sehun but Namjoon kicked her chair once again.

 

“Can’t you be nice to her?” Namjoon complained to his Treasurer as soon as Sehun ushered Naeun out of the room. “She’s Sehunnie’s best friend.”

 

“Maybe if she acts like a decent human being and respects us, I’ll be nice to her! Did you see her earlier? She didn’t even reply your greeting! She never does,” Soojung grunted, typing into the keyboard with too much force as if she’s channeling her anger. “And I don’t care if she’s Sehun’s best friend. Unlike some people, I don’t wish to be included in Oh’s harem*,” she threw an accusing look at both Namjoon and Youngjae.

 

Namjoon furrowed his eyebrows in confusion while Youngjae snorted from across the room. “Sure you don’t. You’re into Kim.”

 

“Kim?” Namjoon repeated, eyes wide. “Kim, who? Kim Jongin?”

 

Soojung looked very much insulted with the question and she balled up a paper, throwing it at Youngjae. He avoided it with a smirk on his face, earning him another glare from the only girl in the Student Council.

 

***

 

Naeun rarely came to him for help because she’s not Jongin or Hyeri, Naeun was a responsible adult and she had better judgments; most of the times.

 

Whatever happened that made Naeun came to him must be serious and Sehun tried to be careful with his way, but Naeun circled her hand around Sehun’s wrist, dragging him into an empty room nearby.

 

“Someone saw!” Naeun screeched off the moment they’re away from prying eyes, fingers digging into Sehun’s skin as her grip tightened. “I forgot—I left—And she’s there! I dropped—She saw it—What if—” She stopped when she could no longer breathe, her whole body’s trembling as she struggled to inhale.  

 

Sehun leveled his eyes to meet Naeun’s in a rush. “Naeun—! Naeun, breathe,” he placed his free hand on her shoulder. He felt himself panicking but Sehun knew he had to remain calm for Naeun, and he forced himself to do so. “Hey—It’s okay, it’ll be fine, remember to breathe. It’ll be fine, nothing’s going to hurt you.”

 

He repeated the words several times, helping Naeun to breathe, until her eyes slowly came back to focus as she let go of Sehun’s hand.

 

“… I’m sorry,” she muttered, taking a step back to distance herself from Sehun.

 

Sehun made sure he didn’t glance at his wrist where he could feel the sting from Naeun’s nails, instead moving his arm away so the sleeve could fall down and cover the area.

 

“Better?” Sehun asked and Naeun made a small hesitant nod. “Do you need to take your medicine?” When Naeun shook her head, Sehun continued. “Can you tell me what happened? It’s alright, I’m sure we can do something about it.”

 

Then Naeun told him, about how she forgot her sketchbook in the Art Room and how she rushed to the room after school. Sehun knew there’s a drawing of Jongin there…

 

But that’s not the problem, because apparently there’s someone in the room who picked up the medicine Naeun dropped. And Naeun thought the junior read the label.  

 

Sehun could feel a knot at the bottom of his stomach, because this was different; Naeun was different. Jongin and Hyeri didn’t exactly have clean records behind them, and even if people knew about their antics, the impact wouldn’t be so bad for them and for the people around them. But Naeun…

 

“What does she look like?”

 

“She’s… She’s tall,” Naeun said, trying to remember the junior. “Long hair. And…,” she drifted away, as if she just remembered something. “… Hayoung. Her friend called her that. Or maybe it’s Gayoung or Hayeon, I’m not sure…”

 

“Hayoung,” Sehun repeated, tucking the name into his memory. “Possibly Gayoung or Hayeon. It’s okay, I’ll find her.”

 

“Sehun, what if…”

 

“I’ll take care of it,” he said, cutting Naeun off with a smile to reassure her before she could voice out her worry. “You have your medicine with you? Good. Go home now, and don’t worry about it, I’ll take care of everything.”

 

Yet, there’s nothing for Sehun to take care of, because several days passed after that day and Son Naeun was still known as ‘the snobby princess’ to everyone else – and that’s good. Anything but the truth was good.

 

Still Sehun kept the list of students with name resembling ‘Hayoung’ in the back of his mind, and when he found out there’s a ‘Oh Hayoung’ between the first year, Sehun couldn’t help but to remember Hyeri’s ramble, “I remember thinking she’s your sister!”

 

 Could it be the same surname was what made Hyeri thought like that?

 

But what’s the chance that it’s the same girl who found out about both Hyeri and Naeun?

 

***

 

Jongin’s a natural night owl, often stayed up late just because. He liked to text Sehun late at night to check whether he’s sleeping or not. If Sehun’s still awake, he would either call or come to his house.

 

That’s why when Jongin called him after midnight, Sehun wasn’t really alarmed, but then it wasn’t Jongin’s voice who talked to him, it’s a girl.

 

Shouldn’t be a surprise either, considering Jongin’s record with girls. At least he stayed away from the girls at school, even though he still basked in the attention he received.

 

When Sehun first reached the address, he didn’t think much about it. But when the girl in front of him introduced herself as Oh Hayoung—His brain connected the dots.

 

It was the same girl.

 

Not only did she find out about Hyeri and Naeun, she also found Jongin. Granted, she probably didn’t know what really happened to the boy, but that was actually worse. People liked to write their own version of the story to fill up the blank space they didn’t know.

 

“You know a lot about us,” Sehun said matter-of-factly, scrutinizing Hayoung’s face, watching for even the slightest change of expression. She remained quiet, and Sehun decided to just ask. “Did you tell anyone? About Hyeri and Naeun?”

 

 “… Why should I?”   

 

The reply took Sehun off guard for a split second. “I don’t know. People talk.” 

 

“I guess…,” Hayoung said. Sehun could sense her discomfort with the way she played with the hem of her cardigan and yet he didn’t say anything to ease her. But then she looked up to meet Sehun’s eyes, “… Jongin Sunbae…”

 

Sehun only stared some more, trying to read what’s on Hayoung’s mind. He didn’t understand this girl who stood in front of him. From the moment he expected rumors about Hyeri only to meet none, to this point where she just… did nothing. Sehun didn’t understand, could it be she has another plan in mind?

 

Rubbing his face, he exhaled and said, “Right. Jongin.” Although Sehun didn’t understand, he still had to do something to protect his friends.

 

By the time he settled Jongin into his car, he already had an idea.

 

“Thank you for your help,” Sehun said when he turned around to face Hayoung.

 

“It’s nothing.”

 

Sehun tilted his head slightly to the side, observing Hayoung for the last time before he left. She’s indeed tall, even taller than Hyeri, with a tall nose and big eyes. Pretty. But there’s something about her, something that Sehun couldn’t put into words, and he wanted to know.

 

For now, it’s better to keep her close – until Sehun could figure her out.

 

“Tomorrow,” Hayoung finally looked back at him when he spoke. “Tomorrow, if anyone ask, just say yes.”

 

“W-What?” Hayoung stammered.

 

He only smiled at her without explaining any further. “Goodnight, Oh Hayoung.”

 

***

 

In the matter of hours, Hayoung changed from ‘one of the first year’ into ‘Oh Sehun’s cousin’.

 

Apparently, the words that spreading were Hayoung was Sehun’s cousin and the reason they didn’t say anything about it at first was because Sehun didn’t want Hayoung to felt burdened with the attention. But somehow, people still found out.

 

Thankfully before her friends could question her more – ‘How does it feel having Sehun as your brother? Are you close with him? What about the principal, his father?’ – the bell rang and they all had to go back to their desks since the teacher was coming.

 

“You never told me,” Sooyoung said with a small pout, a little bit put out because she only knew about the fact now. “Does Sehun Sunbaenim ask you to keep it a secret?”

 

“Um… yes. I’m sorry,” Hayoung said. She couldn’t tell her that she only knew about this now too.

 

“It’s okay,” Sooyoung nodded and grinned. “I understand, having your uncle as the principal and your cousin as the vice-president, people must be curious about you. I would keep it as a secret too if I were you.”

 

Hayoung could only muster a weak smile as a reply and she sat down, catching Junhong’s suspicious stare as he frowned at her. He only turned to face the front because the teacher arrived. Of course, if there’s anyone who knew there’s no way Hayoung and Sehun was blood-related, it would be Junhong.

 

She wouldn’t survive the breaks between lessons where her friends bombarded her with more questions about Sehun – ‘Does he have a girlfriend? Is he dating Hyeri or Naeun?’ – if it’s not because of Junhong.

 

“Come on guys, this is exactly why Sehun Sunbae doesn’t want people to know Hayoung is his cousin,” Junhong said, breaking off the crowd around Hayoung – even students from other classes were curious to see Oh Sehun’s cousin.

 

“Thanks,” Hayoung whispered when the crowd dispersed.

 

“You owe me an explanation,” Junhong whispered back from behind gritted teeth so their friends wouldn’t hear them. “Not that I know all of your cousins, but I supposed you would tell me if your cousin is Oh Sehun.”

 

Hayoung exhaled. She would like an explanation too. 

 

***

 

The school had just ended and most students were still in the class, including Hayoung. Sooyoung turned around in her seat to face her, and they’re planning what to eat for dinner before self-study time.

 

“Dongsaeng-ah!” All of the sudden someone called from the door, almost all of them turned their head to look because the voice was loud.  

 

Hayoung’s eyes widened when she saw Sehun and Hyeri in front of her class, Sehun with his usual half-smile and Hyeri with her big grin, she even waved her hand like they’re old friends that hadn’t meet for years.

 

As if someone made a cue to start, murmurs happened around Hayoung in that instant. It made her uncomfortable.

 

“Sunbaenim.” She rushed to the door.

 

“Ssshh, you’re supposed to call him Oppa! Aaah, call me Unnie too!” Hyeri ruffled her hair and Hayoung fixed it back, conscious with her friends’ stare. “Come on, we’re going to Sehun’s place!”

 

“But…”

 

“If you’re confused, isn’t it more reason for you to come?” Sehun said. He looked over Hayoung’s shoulder and nodded to Hayoung’s classmates, saying in a louder voice, “Please take care of our Hayoung,” with a polite smile.

 

The action startled Hayoung’s friends because it’s obvious that they had been staring, and they bowed back to the Vice President, trying to be more subtle with their curiosity.

 

Hyeri grabbed her hand and whined. “Come with uuuuss!”  

 

Hayoung thought everything was ridiculous, the whole situation, all the attention, and how Sehun called her as ‘our Hayoung’… She did need to know about why Sehun told people she’s his cousin.

 

“Okay…,” finally she said and Hyeri beamed at her, “I’ll just—” She turned her head and threw an apologetic look to Sooyoung. He friend shook her head, smiling wide to tell Hayoung she’s fine with it. The problem was Junhong, who’s staring at her from his desk – for once he didn’t look at Sehun with admiration or drooling over Hyeri. He’s frowning, even. I’ll call you, she mouthed to Junhong, and the boy nodded without any expression.

 

“You’re good to go?” Sehun was on her side, his hand on her elbow.  

 

Hayoung tried not to look down at the touch. “Ah, yes…”

 

“I promise you, we’ll have fun!” Hyeri linked her arm with Hayoung’s and pulled her to walk with her with Sehun followed behind.

 

When they’re out of the other students’ hearing range Hyeri suddenly asked, “… Your boyfriend?” She didn’t look at Hayoung but Hayoung could tell from her quiet tone that she’s no longer grinning.

 

Hayoung needed a moment to grasp her question. “Junhong? No, he’s my best friend.”

 

“Hmm… That’s good to hear! Who needs boyfriend, right?” she already went back to her cheery self and Hayoung wondered if her mood swings was not only a thing when she’s drunk.

 

Hayoung recognized Sehun’s black Honda HR-V parked outside the school with Jongin leaning on the side, talking to Naeun in front of him. His expression was soft as he talked, from his gestures it seemed he’s coaxing Naeun to look at him.

 

When he noticed their arrival, Jongin straightened his pose. “Hoobae!” he shouted at Hayoung and the girl bowed her head. “Thanks a lot for last night, I owe you one.”

 

“Not at all, Sunbaenim,” she replied, noting that there were bruises on Jongin’s handsome face that hadn’t formed last night, he also put a band aid near his lips. Jongin looked like a wreck, but his smile was as mischievous as always. He wore casual clothes instead of the school’s uniform – he probably skipped school because of his wounds.

 

Meanwhile, Naeun moved herself behind Jongin, almost like hiding from Hayoung’s sight. Hayoung immediately knew that she’s not welcomed and she glanced at her seniors, but Hyeri was still smiling and Sehun looked unperturbed too.

 

Before she knew it, Hayoung was sitting between Sehun and Hyeri in the back seat of Sehun’s car, Jongin was driving while Naeun’s riding shotgun.  

 

She barely spoke on the ride to Sehun’s house.

 

Sehun did ask her if her parents were okay with Hayoung coming home late and she said they didn’t mind. Sehun nodded and asked no more. The rest of the journey was filled with Hyeri’s chatter, telling them stories with Sehun’s chuckle or Jongin’s comments every now and then, which ended with Jongin and Hyeri bantering. Naeun didn’t talk at all, looking outside the window.

 

Hayoung was quite surprised when Jongin parked the car in a basement of an apartment building – she thought Sehun would live in a house. Still she kept her wonders to herself and followed the seniors to Sehun’s apartment; room number 4 on the twelfth flor, 1204.

 

Hyeri walked ahead of them and Hayoung saw her punching in the pin code to enter like she owned the place, throwing her bag to the floor as soon as she stepped into the living room. Jongin followed suit behind her and it was Naeun who collected the bags her friends left.

 

“Make yourself at home,” Sehun said to Hayoung, smiling at her awkward nod.

 

“Time for the tour around the place!” Hyeri yelled, moved to stand behind Hayoung and put her hands on Hayoung’s shoulders so she could push her to walk.

 

“Well as you can see… this is the living room.” Jongin plopped down on the cream-colored couch, resting his legs on the coffee table and turning on the TV. Beside the living room was an open space kitchen, separated by the counter. “Feel free to eat anything on the fridge!” Naeun didn’t even glance from her place in the kitchen, pouring drinks for all of them. “Here to the left is Sehun’s room—” Hyeri opened a door, showing a bedroom with queen-sized bed in the middle with glass windows facing the city.

 

“Can’t you knock?” Sehun asked, he’s in the middle of ing his shirt.

 

“—and Jongin sleeps here a lot too,” Hyeri continued without acknowledging Sehun’s presence, leaving Hayoung bowed with flushed cheeks. Hyeri pulled her away from Sehun’s room and opened the next room. “And this one is mine and Naeun’s room. It’s your room too from now on, Hayoung-ah!”

 

It was a guest room, Hayoung supposed, since it felt bare compared to Sehun’s room. But there were little things – the colorful sheets, the teddy bear plushie, the artificial flower on the desk – probably done by the girls, that made the room appeared to be more girly.

 

“You can bring your stuff and put them here if you want.”

 

Hayoung was really confused. Not only because of Hyeri’s words – did they all live together in this place? Why Hyeri said it’s her room too? – but she also didn’t see any other bedroom, so where’s the principal slept?

 

But Hyeri offered no explanation, instead she pushed Hayoung to show her the bathrooms. There were two, one was inside Sehun’s room and the other was outside, and she also showed Hayoung the veranda and the view from there.

 

“Give her a break, Lee!” Jongin said from his place slouching on the couch. “Release the poor kid now and let Great Kim handles it from here.”

 

Hyeri rolled her eyes, pulling Hayoung by the wrist to the living room, making her sit beside her. Naeun sat beside Jongin, five glasses of ice tea on the coffee table.

 

At that time Sehun came out from his room, dressed in a comfortable tee and shorts. “If the Great Kim you’re talking about is our school’s president Kim Namjoon, then yes, I agree with you,” Sehun said and dodged when Jongin threw a cushion to his direction. “If you want to change clothes, Hyeri and Naeun has some shirts here,” he added, looking at Hayoung.

 

On automatic, Hayoung fixed her sitting position so she sat upright. “… I’m fine, Sunbaenim.”

 

Sehun cocked his head, sitting down in the armchair. “You should start calling me Oppa, or people will get suspicious.”

 

Hayoung glanced and met Sehun’s smile.

 

“We almost adopt you as Sehun’s little sister,” Jongin informed her with a playful grin. “But the principal probably won’t be happy if he knows suddenly he has a daughter, so cousin it is!”

 

It didn’t explain why, though. 

 

“From now on, be comfortable with us. If you need our help, anything,” Sehun looked at Hayoung directly in the eyes, “Just tell me.”

 

***

 

They didn’t do anything special that day, Hayoung chose to listen when her seniors talked.

 

At one point Jongin told them about what happened to him last night, about how it’s so unfair that it was four versus one, and Hayoung realized even though Jongin told the details of what happened, he didn’t tell them the reason he got beat up. And no one asked why.

 

It’s either they didn’t care… Or they knew the reason why.

 

After a while they started to take out their text books and worked in pair – Sehun tutored Hyeri while Naeun and Jongin did their homework together. Hayoung also pulled out her own homework and Jongin helped her, asking Naeun when he forgot about the subject and then explained it all to Hayoung. It’s fine for her if Naeun wanted to act like she’s not there, in return she avoided any interaction with the older girl.

 

Jongin ordered fried chicken for dinner and Hyeri complained about it, saying that it’s the third time in a week they ate chicken – still she’s the one who fought with Jongin over the last piece of a chicken drumstick.

 

It was almost 11pm when Sehun went to his room and came out wearing a jacket. “Take them home,” he said to Jongin, throwing the car key to his best friend. “Hayoung’s house is in the opposite direction. We’ll take the bus.” Hayoung looked up due to the implication that Sehun would take her home, and Sehun looked back at her, confirming her thought. “We have fifteen minutes until the next bus.”

 

“Bye bye, Dongsaeng-ah! Play again with us tomorrow!” Hyeri waved from her spot on the couch. Hayoung bowed to all of them before she followed Sehun out of his apartment.

 

It was colder than what Hayoung predicted outside and she rubbed her arm with her other hand, trying to get some heat out of it.

 

“Is it cold?” Sehun asked.

 

“No,” Hayoung shook her head. Sehun seems like someone who would take off his jacket for girls. She didn’t want to try the theory.

 

The bus stop was empty except for the two of them, and Sehun used the sleeve of his jacket to wipe a spot on the bench for Hayoung to sit on. He gestured for Hayoung to take a seat while he stood in front of her – to block the wind, Hayoung noticed. The gesture was sweet and something to be expected from Oh Sehun, but she didn’t understand what the school’s Vice President was doing with her.

 

It was quiet, Sehun didn’t say anything, rubbing his eyes and he looked both sleepy and tired. He caught Hayoung’s eyes when she unconsciously stared at him, and the corner of his mouth tugged up. Hayoung averted her eyes right away.

 

It wasn’t until they’re seated on the bus with Sehun on the outer side that Sehun started to talk.

 

“… My family is my father, my mother, and my little brother. He’s about four now, and I live in Mok-dong,” Sehun said out of nowhere and it confused Hayoung because Sehun’s apartment was obviously not in Mok-dong. “You and I, we’re not very close until recently, since you said you want to go to our high school, we talk more after that. We don’t hang out together, only during family gatherings. You’re afraid of my father.”

 

Hayoung realized by then, he’s making up a story – their story as cousins.

 

“I went to Seoul Mokdong Middle School. I used to play soccer and I was the class president. I had a girlfriend until last year, she’s attending Hyundai Senior High School. Obviously, you don’t know why we broke up, but I haven’t date anyone ever since.” Sehun paused, as if he thought about something. But then he shook his head a little and continued, “You only saw her photo once. She has chubby cheeks, you think Naeun and Hyeri are prettier than her. Ah, I actually went to the same middle school with Hyeri. Hyeri and Jongin were classmates during our first year, and Naeun was Jongin’s childhood friend, they’re good friends. So that’s how we all end up as friends… if someone ask.”

 

It seemed that Sehun already thought about this in detail, since he told Hayoung about the things her friends asked earlier.

 

“Do you want to ask anything?”

 

Before Hayoung could open , her phone rang – it blasted a hip hop song, a special ringtone for Junhong. She hadn’t made the call she promised him.

 

Hayoung took out her phone, Bunhong! was flashing on the screen along with Junhong’s photo and she slid her thumb on the screen to reject it. Out of the corner of her eyes, Hayoung knew Sehun was staring.

 

“Your best friend,” Sehun said, half-stating, half-questioning.

 

“Yes.” Hayoung put her phone back to her bag.

 

“What’s his name?”

 

She glanced at Sehun, alarmed again for no reason, but his smile was nothing but amiable. What’s wrong with her? “… Choi Junhong,” Hayoung said. She contemplated for a moment before added, “… And he knows I’m not your cousin.”

 

Sehun hummed, nodding. “Hmm… You can say anything you want to him.”

 

Despite the words, it didn’t sound like permission for Hayoung.

 

“Sunbaenim—”

 

“Oppa,” the guy corrected her. “You should call me Oppa. We’re cousins, remember?” Sehun smiled, tilting his head to look at Hayoung.

 

Hayoung didn’t return the smile, and she probably came out as rude but she had zero idea about what Sehun was doing. However, she kind of knew why. “… You don’t have to this.” Hayoung forced herself to stare directly into Sehun’s eyes, trying to gain the same standing in the argument she was about to start. “I won’t tell anyone, Sunbaenim, you don’t have to do… all of this.”

 

Sehun was quiet, staring back at Hayoung.  

 

His eyes were dimmed now that he’s no longer smiling. The siren in her head told her to surrender, even more irrational, to run, but Hayoung stood her ground.

 

And then, all of the sudden, Sehun smiled again, looking back to the front without answering.

 

He didn’t utter any more word until they’re in front of Hayoung’s house.

 

“Thank you for taking me home,” Hayoung nodded to the senior.

 

“I should be, I’m the one who asked you to stay with us,” Sehun said. He glanced up to Hayoung’s house – everything was dark except for one window in the first floor. “… Give me your phone.” Hayoung complied, giving away her phone, and Sehun stared at her wallpaper for a second before commented, “You like him?” to which Hayoung nodded. It was a picture of Super Junior’s Yesung. “I like Donghae,” Sehun stated absent-mindedly and it sounded honest, not a fact he told Hayoung just for the sake of their lie.

 

Hayoung saw Sehun inserted a phone number and he called it with Hayoung’s phone. A familiar tune started to play from Sehun’s phone – Super Junior’s Song For You.

 

“I will appreciate it if you don’t give the number to your friends,” he said, returning Hayoung’s phone. “At least sell it, don’t give it for free, make use of my phone number.”

 

“… I won’t,” Hayoung said in a low voice.

 

“I know, but I mean it,” Sehun said. Then he repeated, firmer, “Make use of my phone number. Call me if you need anything.”

 

Hayoung nodded even though she already decided that she would never call him, just like she nodded when Dongwoon, the waiter at the diner, told her to take a taxi.

 

 “Well, then… Good night, Oh Hayoung.” The half-smile returned, and Hayoung watched his lonely back got further and further away until Sehun disappeared out of her sight.

 


 

*harem: simply put, one guy liked/followed/surrounded by a lot of girls – Soojung was mocking Youngjae & Namjoon because they’re always siding with Sehun

 

Uuh... add a whole info about the student council guys right before Naeun came to Sehun.

Plus a little bit background story as why Sehun is the vide president. Probably important for understanding Sehun's character?

It's tiring waiting for this story, right? Why don't we camp at ming's Be Here instead?

Thank you for reading! - do you prefer I don't reply to your comment do I make you uncomfortable by replying if yes please say so