Betony

The Wondrous Stride of a Mugunghwa and a Peony

Betony: surprise

His first three weeks and a half at SM Academy was surprisingly calm, but this didn’t mean that nothing had changed for Sehun. For instance, he finally got what you could call “acquaintances.” At his old school, Sehun was never one to socialize with others (not even for school-related topics) since his main focus was school and work. But now, he was on good terms with Kai and Chanyeol’s group of friends, and even sat with all of them at lunch instead of going to the library to study. Even though it was odd for Sehun, he couldn’t complain; it was nice to talk to people who are different from him. Besides the suave Kai and the self-proclaimed “happy virus” Chanyeol, there were his other classmates from 2-A: Huang Zitao (also known as Tao, the guy who could kick anybody’s arse, but had the sensitivity of a girl) and Byun Baekhyun (the “eyeliner guy” slash “loud diva extraordinaire” who was involved in almost everything in school).

Then, there were the guys from the “Special A” class: Wu Yi Fan, Do Kyungsoo, Zhang Yixing, and Kai’s brother.

These guys were basically the heirs of their family business. For this very reason, they had more expectations to fulfill, and education was no exception. Hence, the creation of the SM Academy’s Advanced Classes, or “Special A.” While the other students of 2-A (or the B to D classes) learned English and pre-calculus, the “Special A” students were learning how to speak French like a native frog and dealt with statistics. These advanced classes would help the future CEOs of the largest companies in Asia become just that. Of course, being “Special A” students didn’t mean that they were serious and stiff rich bastards. Quite the opposite, Sehun learned they were a bunch of goofballs (especially Yi Fan) after spending just one lunch period with them.

Another thing that had changed, and not exactly for the best: his test scores.

Sehun was still at a higher rank than half of 2-A, but he started to have trouble with a few of the math lessons since he never learned some of the things discussed. Lee-ssam, his math instructor, told him he needed to study harder after Sehun almost failed his quizzes. “If you fail the upcoming test, I’m afraid I will have to drop your grade to a C, and both of us know that with your status, you need a minimum of a B minus to pass this trimester,” Lee-ssam had warned Sehun.

After speaking to Lee-ssam, he got Kai or the others in 2-A to help him. However, as much as they tried explaining the lessons to him, Sehun was still confused.

“I appreciate your help, Chanyeol-ah, but I’m just not getting it!” Sehun pouted as he poked his japchae bap with his chopsticks. Chanyeol and the others sighed as they tried to think of ways to help their new friend. A few seconds later, Baekhyun’s eyes widened and a smile was plastered on his face.

“I know! You should go get help from Luhan-hyung!” Baekhyun exclaimed.

“That’s a really good idea, Baek. He is really smart,” Tao added.

“Why didn’t I think of this before?” Yi Fan asked himself.

“You barely manage to process a thought in your head,” Kyungsoo deadpanned.

Luhan?

“Um, who’s Luhan?” Sehun asked. The others stared at him as if he had three heads, until Kyungsoo cleared his throat.

“We never spoke about Luhan in front of him,” Kyungsoo explained to the six boys. A chorus of “Oh” was heard throughout the table.

“Luhan is in the “Special A” class with us, AND he is also Yixing’s cousin,” Yi Fan stated proudly.

“He is also ranked first in that class, too,” Yixing said, “Luhan has straight A’s in every subject, every year.”

“Then, if he’s with you guys,” Sehun started, “Where is he?”

“That is a good question. Where is Luhan?” Kai asked.

“Hyung told us he was tutoring a boy from 2-C, I think,” Yixing answered.

“Yeah, but that was slightly more than three weeks ago,” Kai told Yixing in what seemed like a desperate tone. “The students that have been tutored by him usually spend less than week and a half. This kid must be really stupid if he’s wasting Luhan’s time with us.”

Unlike the rest of his friends who looked unfazed, Sehun was surprised. This was the first time Kai actually showed someone different from his cool persona.

“Kai, calm down,” Kyungsoo whispered as he placed a hand on the younger’s shoulder. Kai just crossed his arms over his chest and let out a sigh.

“Okay,” Kai then turned to Sehun, “I could text Luhan and tell him you need his help. He won’t say no.”

“Thank you so much,” Sehun told Kai. Kai just grinned.


The rest of the school day went by fast. Sehun decided to stay inside the building a bit longer since he wanted to take out a few books from the library on the third floor, which was the largest out of all the three libraries in the academy. After obtaining a few English books that caught his attention, he exited the place and headed to the staircase. He was already on the stairs that led to the lower floors, when he heard a loud crashing noise from what seemed to be the fourth floor exit. He stopped walking, waiting for another noise. Sehun heard voices.

“You are not going to walk away from me like that!” a male voice hissed loudly. A cry of pain followed the voice.

“Nam, let me go!” another voice, male and slightly softer than the previous, cried.

“No one says no to a member of the Sung clan, and you, darling, are no exception!”

Sehun started walking upstairs, quickly and quietly. He heard the first male cry loudly, a few “creative” words leaving his mouth.

“You will regret this!”

Sehun had reached the last step when he saw a tall student with dyed blood red hair hovering over the smaller male crushed under him. Not liking where this was heading, Sehun grabbed the guy’s blazer and pulled him away from the other boy.

“F***!” the taller male cursed. His dark eyes landed on Sehun, and narrowed. “You son of a b****!” he growled, raising a fist. Sehun evaded the punch and kicked him in the other’s nether regions. The tall guy whimpered loudly, his knees collapsing. Sehun took this as a chance to knock him out. Without a second thought, he grabbed the other boy’s hand and pulled him to the staircase. Sehun didn’t stop until they reached ground floor. Making sure that the red head, or anyone in general, was not following them, he then turned to the boy whose head was facing down.

“Are you okay?” Sehun asked him.

“I’m fine,” the boy muttered, still not looking up. Sehun failed to notice the anger dripping in his tone.

“You sure? Did he do anything to y-“

“I said I’m fine!” the boy exploded. He pulled his wrist out of Sehun’s grasp and looked up at his savior with fury shown in his hazel brown eyes.

I’ve seen those eyes before…

He looked at the boy’s face to see if there was anything else that gave hints as to why the boy was familiar. Sehun’s eyes widened when he realized those eyes belonged to the androgynous boy from the veranda.

“I-I, um-“

“Gosh, stop staring at me! If you’re expecting me to praise you for this, you are so wrong! I was fine on my own, until you came!” The boy started walking away.

Usually Sehun is the type to keep his emotions to himself, especially those of anger and annoyance, but not this time.

“I’m sorry, but I doubt being under a guy whose about to you is classified as being fine, you ungrateful bastard!”

The boy stopped walking after Sehun mentioned his attacker’s intentions, but resumed walking, leaving Sehun behind.


 A few hours later, Sehun was in his bedroom working on some assignment for his literature class when his phone went off. It was Kai.

Yoboseyo,” Sehun greeted.

“Hey, I called Luhan and told him about your situation, and he agreed to help you,” Kai said really quickly, but Sehun understood everything he said.

“Really? Kai, thank you so much!”

“He told me he could start tutoring as soon as tomorrow. I suggested my house as the meet-up place. I hope you don’t mind.”

“No, that’s perfectly fine. It’s more convenient for all of us since there’s no school tomorrow.”

“Great! You know how to get to my house or do you want someone to drive you there?”

“I know how to get there, thanks for the offer.”

“Alright, get here a bit before twelve. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Thanks again,” Sehun said before the call ended.

 Sehun stood up from his desk and plopped down on his bed. Tomorrow was going to be a great day!


Been here twice and I still don’t get used to the sight.

Sehun was admiring the giant cylinder-like villa in front of him. It still took him by surprise that places like these existed in locations that were only about an hour or so from his small apartment.

I guess the world is a small place.

He walked up to the entrance and pressed the doorbell. He waited a few seconds until the door opened, revealing a fifty-something year old man with a handlebar moustache, wearing a black suit and a monocle adorning his face. Sehun remembered he was Joon, the head butler.

“Annyeonghaseyo,” the butler greeted. Sehun greeted the man in return. “Please come in, Master Jong In is waiting for you in the study.”

The butler led Sehun upstairs, into the right hallway. They stopped outside the third door. Joon knocked on the door before entering.

“Master, your friend has arrived,” Joon made a signal for Sehun to enter the room. The boy saw Kai sitting behind the desk near the large windows.

“Gomapseumnida. You may take your leave,” Kai told the butler as he stood up from the desk and walked towards Sehun. After Joon left the room, Sehun finally spoke.

“When did Luhan-si say he was coming?” he asked.

“He should be here in fifteen minutes, more or less,” Kai answered.

“Ah, okay,” Sehun whispered. Sehun might have looked calm, but his voice gave him away and this caused Kai to release a small laugh.

“Don’t worry. Luhan is the best when it comes to these things. You will be passing the class with straight As with his help,” Kai assured Sehun. Sehun let out a sigh, feeling slightly better.

Both boys sat down in one of the couches and started talking about whatever came into their heads. They began laughing after Sehun mentioned the time that Baekhyun went on a violent rampage a week ago because he caught Chanyeol and Yi Fan using his eyeliner pencils to “draw” on napkins. Before they could continue talking about how Baekhyun pulled the two boys’ ears, Kai’s phone went off.

“Yoboseyo,” Kai answered, “Yeah … I’ll come down to greet you … Bye Luhan.” Kai turned to Sehun. “Luhan is outside. Come on.”

Sehun followed Kai downstairs, and watched as Kai ran to the door and opened it. He walked slowly towards the entrance where he saw Kai carrying a person out of their red Vespa and twirling them around.

“Lulu! I missed you so much!”

“Aiyaa! Let me go!” Luhan’s voice sounded slightly muffled because of his black helmet.

“Aniyo!”

Sehun heard the boy laugh with mirth. Finally, Kai let go of the boy.

“Sehun, come here,” Kai told Sehun. The latter walked towards a smiling Kai and Luhan, who was taking the keys out of the bike.

“Sehun, this is Luhan. Luhan, this is Oh Sehun, the boy I told you about,” Kai told the boys.

“Nice to meet you Luhan-si,” Sehun told the boy as he was taking his helmet off, revealing the light reddish brown hair, hazel brown eyes, and fair skin … that belonged to the androgynous boy of the other day. Sehun’s eyes widened when he saw who it was.

He’s Luhan?!

Luhan must have recognized Sehun, since he had the same reaction as Sehun.

“The pleasure’s all mine,” Luhan whispered.

“Aww, Lulu! You’re so cute!” Kai gushed, completely ignoring how awkward his surroundings got. “You two finally met! Isn’t that great?”

Yup, this world is too small.


Author's Note: I apologize to everyone for taking my time in updating this chapter. I'll try to update ASAP, since I'm starting to adjust to a new schedule.

Yay! Luhan and Sehun finally met! Wooo! I feel bad how Luhan yelled at Sehun, but hey, story development... Slight KaiLu moments (TeeHee)

Fun Fact: Kai's home is located in Itaewon-dong, which is almost an hour or so from Wangsimni-ro. Thanks Google maps (and all those other real estate websites!)

...

I hope you guys enjoy the chapter pics. I want to thank xelly14x for the incredible job she's doing with these pics. 

Please subscribe and review! I really appreciate them.

See you next time, 

Ulyana ^J^