Apple Blossom

The Wondrous Stride of a Mugunghwa and a Peony

Apple Blossom: good fortune, harbinger of good things, a strong liking

A week had passed since the incident and everything seemed to go back to normal. Well, sort of. Sehun had noticed some slight changes. For instance, every time he steps even one foot outside of his house, he feels as if someone’s watching him. At first, he thought he was still affected by what happened that night. But that feeling didn’t go away. Then, some of the customers started asking Sehun some really personal questions such as “What is your high school rank?” or “What are your hobbies?” Sehun tried to act as calm as possible, but he wants to put a big banner outside the Baedal Flower Shop stating that anyone who asks him any questions about his life should not even bother coming in. He didn’t tell anyone else other than his brother, which was a big mistake when Jung Hee started laughing at Sehun. The 17 year-old came to the conclusion that this paranoia he had was causing him to think that these “strange” events were just coincidences that were totally unrelated and that he has to stop watching crime shows with Jung Hee.

He couldn’t have been more wrong.

It was a Thursday when the truth slapped him hard on the face. Sehun was almost falling asleep with the rest of his class as the teacher was reading some prose literature. Usually, he was a very attentive student, but Jeung-ssam was making it hard to stay awake with his boring tone. Just as his head was about to crash with the beige desk, someone knocked on the door, destroying the calm atmosphere. Jeung-ssam answered the door and the person, who was a school secretary, outside whispered something to him. Sehun noticed his seonsaeng’s eyes widened slightly after the person finished speaking to him. The teacher then looked at him.

“Sehun-ah, your presence is requested at the principal’s office,” Jeung-ssam told him. Soon, every student started gossiping about what they heard. This was a very uncommon occurrence; Oh Sehun, the smartest, most introverted second year student in Sangwamsimni Public High School, was being called into the principal’s office for the first time. Not only were the students shocked, Sehun himself was surprised. He grabbed his books and his bag and left the classroom so he could follow the secretary to his destination. Even though Sehun looked calm on the exterior, he was a bit nervous.

What if I’m being called in because I got in trouble? Wait, but you haven’t done anything bad… What could it be then?

The voice in his head stopped speaking when they reached the office door. The secretary knocked on the door and then they entered when they were granted permission to come inside. Sehun saw the principal sitting behind his desk, but there was also another man in an expensive-looking black suit in the room. He reminds me of someone, he thought. It wasn’t until the other man turned around when Sehun recognized him.

A black-haired man with tan skin and brown eyes.

It was Kim Jae-Hwa, the man from the other night.

“Annyeong, Sehun-haoche,” Jae-Hwa greeted with a big smile.

“Annyeonghaseyo,” Sehun replied, still surprised to see the man in his school.

Jae-Hwa then faced the principal. “Lee-chingu, will you please let Sehun-haoche and I speak in private,” he said. “Of course,” the principal replied. Jae-Hwa waited until the principal and the secretary left the room before he spoke again.

“So, how have you been?” Jae-Hwa asked the younger.

“Um, I’ve been good,” Sehun replied even though it sounded more like a question than an answer. Jae-Hwa chuckled.

“You must be wondering why I am at your school, aren’t you?” Jae-Hwa said bluntly.

“Yes sir,” the boy responded quietly.

“You can call me by my first name. There’s no need to be too formal.”

“Jae-Hwa-si, how did you find me?”

“Well, after that night, I asked my assistant and a few other people to find more about you…so, here I am. I hope you don’t mind.”

Well, that might explain the creepy customers and me being followed.

“No, I don’t. But why?”

“Before I explain, please answer me this. Do you know who I am? Forget the fact that I’m the man you saved the other night.”

“No, not really.”

“I thought so. Not a lot of people do unless they work for me or saw me on the news. You see, I am the chairman of Kim Enterprise, which is one of the largest conglomerates in Korea.”

WHAT?!

“Sehun-haoche, what you did the other night was something that not many people such as myself get to witness. When you’re in charge of a business, people usually help you because they either have to or they want something back. But you helped me without even knowing me or expecting anything in return. I was thinking of how I should repay you and I finally found it.”

“Re-repay me?”

“Have you heard about SM Academy?”

“I think so.”

“My two sons go there. It’s one of the best private schools in Korea. I found out you are an exceptional student and SM Academy is a good school for a student as yourself,” Jae-Hwa paused to make sure Sehun was understanding everything he said. Sehun gulped, slighty worried at where the conversation was going to.

“Sehun-haoche, would you like to attend SM Academy?”

“Eh? Ah, er, is it even possible?”

“Of course, you don’t have to worry about paying since you would attend as a sponsored student.”

“Sponsored student?”

“Unfortunately, the academy doesn’t offer any entrance exams or scholarships to students of low income. But if you were to attend, I would be your benefactor. I would take care of tuition and anything that needs to be paid. The only thing that would be required of you is to maintain a high grade point average and to stay out of serious trouble.”

“I’m not sure. I mean, isn’t this too much? How would I pay you back?”

“You don’t have to. Besides, you should really consider it since it’s a good opportunity to attend a good high school and, later on, college. You wouldn’t have to be worried about the latter since you would be admitted into it right after your third year unless you choose another college by then.”

Sehun was still speechless, but his mind was in a full-blown debate.

You should accept.

But he’s doing too much for me, a person he barely knows!

Then you should be grateful, you git. No one gets this offer every day.

What about my parents? What will they say?

They will accept. After all, if you attend SM Academy, you will be able to get a good job and take your family out of economic misery.

I would be able to help my family…

“So, what do you say, Sehun-haoche?”

“I-I…”

Just say it!

“I accept your offer,” Sehun said. Jae-Hwa just smiled.

“I’m glad you did,” Jae-Hwa replied.

I just hope I don’t regret this later on.


Author's Note: Chapter 2 is finally up! Damn, I thought I wasn't going to update sooner but a bit of procrastinating on my summer homework isn't going to hurt me (I hope...). It's a bit short, but don't fret, the plot is moving along (*squeals of excitement*).

I would like to thank everyone who suscribed to my story and commented on it. I would have sent a 'Thank You' message to everyone but I was busy, but again, Danke, Thank You, Gracias, Merci. Feel free to leave your opinion and constructive criticism (as long as it isn't rude or harmful).

Until next time,

Ulyana