003. First Day of School

Destiny In Disguise [HIATUS]

K e y :

 

“I’ll go sign you up in the office, okay? You stay here and sit down on those sofas.” I waved my finger toward the chocolate-brown leather sofas with my eyes switching between Seohee and the sofa.

She sat down, obediently, with her big eyes wandering around the office. I turned back to the middle-aged woman, I’m estimating around in her late 40s, and began enrolling the clueless girl, Choi Seohee into Pyeong Moon High.

While the lady, who was sitting on the swivel chair, was typing away the enrolment form, I turned around for a second just to check up on Seo–

But then I realised, she wasn’t there anymore.

I thought about it in the long term, and realised perhaps this was a good thing, because I didn’t have to look after some lost soul. But for the moment, “CRAP, I LOST HER.”

 

Choi S e o h e e :

 

 

He was taking so long, so I thought I would go outside and wander for a while. I lifted myself from the sofas, passed with quiet footsteps through the office entrance, and found a back door down the corridor. I was hoping it would lead me to somewhere cool, but it turned out to be the school balcony. Good enough.

I leaned on the railing that kept me from falling, and looked down at the school. From a great height, the school seemed pretty nice–well, much nicer than what it had looked from the front anyway. The departments were arranged in blocks, dotting the grounds around the quadrangle. We were in building A, the furthest from the entrance, and from where I stood I could see B, C and D. The rest of the classrooms seemed to be tucked away around a bend, which ‘Jonghyun’ had shown me earlier when he took me to the bathroom. I knew I shouldn’t have had so much yakult this morning, dammit.

The air was fresher, chillier, and somewhat… different, too. For the first time all day, it had actually felt like all the burden on my shoulders had disappeared. It was like the wind had come, cleansed me, and taken all the troubles on me with it. I closed my eyes to sniff the air.

The smell of freedom.

Then, something loud went off in the corner.

I jumped a bit, wondering if I had set the siren off, until I saw students leaving the playground. They walked in clichés, some bigger than others, all in the direction of the quadrangle like ants on the march.

I realised it was the school bell.

So I went back in, hoping to see ‘Jonghyun’ done with whatever he was doing. But he wasn’t there at the office counter anymore. Why wasn’t I completely surprised? Especially when, just a second ago, I was almost certain I saw him from the corner of my eyes…

I blinked three times.

Oh well. Whoops.

 

Jang  S o r a :

 

*Bring~*

The signal for the start of another day went off as I packed my belongings and hurried my way to my locker, and then to the school quadrangle. Student body president classes, psh, I thought, applying blush and lipstick until I had reached an ideal shade. Boring. Especially when they were every single morning. Just because I was the principal’s daughter didn’t mean I should have the privilege. How could I let them occupy my mornings!? I should be spending them with my oppa!

I looked myself in the mirror again, the one I always hung up in my locker, making sure my fake lashes had not fallen from their places. Perfect, I thought.

Digging deep into the back of my locker now, behind all my cosmetic kits and books I needed for my next lesson, I found a mountain of love letters. They were the ones I had received over the years; the ones I get these days I just chuck. And none of them I have properly read, or considered.

Then, my thoughts were disrupted by the time. I held up the watch that wrapped around my wrist, and began to count down.

Five.

Four.

Three.

Two.

One–

“UNNIE! UN–”

“Just on time.”

She paused and bent over to catch her breath, and without properly greeting me first (how rude!), said, “Um, unnie, I don’ think I can–”

“No.”

“Then can I ask you–”

“No.”

“Pleaseeeeee, just one sec–”

“No. Oh, and carry my stuff for me, will you? I just got my nails done.”

And where was Minji, that girl. No, wait, she didn’t even deserve to be one. Ugh. She should be here now… making me wait was going to make her pay.

I turned to the girl now standing next to her, slightly shorter and more nervous.

“And you,” I started.

Her voice trembled. “Y-Yes…”

I glared at her. “Am I scary to you?”

“N-No, Sora unnie!” She spat back.

I endured, of course.

“Mm. Then good. Now stop wasting my time and just carry these bags, okay?” I gave her my sweetest smile, but clearly her eyes were throwing me spears. “Carrying them all myself are going to give me muscles.”

“But–”

“No, shut up. I need to rest my ears.”

 

✰✰✰

 

Choi S e o h e e :

 

After waiting for some time, I became extremely impatient. Should I wait? But what if he never came back? The thought crossed my mind a hundred times, until I eventually decided to walk off. The only thing that came to mind was to go to the quadrangle… and maybe the restroom. But the quadrangle was first; I had the higher chance of finding him there, and I needed to fast.

When I arrived, all I could see were people. I didn’t notice anything else but the heads with the different coloured hairstyles and accessories that were bobbing up and down, like the waves at the sea. Now how was a girl like me going to find someone in a crowd that all looked like the person I was on the hunt for–

And then I remembered.

Kim Jonghyun.

So instead of blindly finding, I went around asking people if they knew the person who went by this name.

 

Jang  S o r a :

 

Weaving my way through a crowd of familiar faces, I finally made it outside. I hurried the two girls who were tripping behind me, and ordered for them to set up my chair, umbrella and fans. I wasn’t going to stand in the sun and let my face cream run. Never.

I watched as all the other students hurried to the quadrangle, ready to line up. Girls were fixing their dresses, checking their hair, gossipping about which boys were hot, and which ones were not.

All except one.

My gaze followed her.

She was, for one, an unfamiliar face, and two–

Pfft, look at her, no fashion sense at all.

She stopped by a couple of boys, and leaned forward to ask them something. I turned my head, hoping to spot something more interesting, but then I thought I heard Jonghyun’s name. Okay, so wait, WHAT!?–

THAT CHICK WAS LOOKING FOR JONGHYUN? KIM JONGHYUN? MY OPPA!?

 

Choi S e o h e e :

 

I thanked the boys, who had pointed me to the wing of block D, suggesting that if I had turned left then I would have seen a flight of steps leading me to where I had wanted. I followed their instructions precisely and OH HEY, a flight of steps.

I walked upstairs, looking down on each step, making sure I didn’t trip or fall. It was only when I had reached the top of the staircase that I looked up, and realised the amazing view that spread before me – something I wasn’t expecting.

An epic greenhouse.

On the school rooftop.

How badass.

Different shades of green emerged from the various brown, mahogany, beige and auburn coloured pots. The roof was transparent, too, which had allowed the sunlight to get through to the plants, giving them the energy they needed. The beautiful, azure sky that backdropped everything left me dazed. It took my breath away just watching.

The view, encompassing every colour and shade from the rainbow, made me stand and admire for who knew how long, but I hadn’t completely lost it. After a lapse of several moments, I found myself coming back to the real world, whereby I remembered my hard-earned objective despite arriving at such a beautiful place.

To find Kim Jonghyun.

A little scared my trespassing would impair the image of this place, I moved as gently as I could. Every step.

“Jonghyun… Jonghyun?” I whispered.

I continued this for what felt like a really, long, time. By now I had looked everywhere but one place. I extended my arm to open the door; the only thing standing in between me and the greenhouse itself. I peered inside. And there, while walking through the jungle of greenery, I spotted a human figure lying on a long, wooden bench. Asleep. With the book “10 steps to making you grow taller in less than 10 days” over his face.

 

✰✰✰

 

A/N: WOOOO, TRIPLE UPDATE PEOPLE. X) Apologies for the long and boring chapters, but are people actually enjoying the story so far or what? 0: It would be so nice if you silent readers could reveal yourselves ):

 

hyukxin ft. ayshienjulie ©