Chapter 1

My Voodoo Doll

I walked down the sidewalk, my headphones blasting my favourite music. I walked to the beat, swaying my arms from side to side when I arrived at the cafe. I sighed contently at the sight and made my way in. "I'm here!" I announced in a sing-song voice. "Thank you for letting us know about your wonderful presence, Luhan," Minseok, also known as Xiumin, or the owner of the cafe said sarcastically. "You are most welcome," I bowed and blew kisses to the invisible crowd. Minseok here is my best friend, ever since high school. We were attached by the hip most of the time actually. He had this dream of becoming a café owner and here we are! I just graduated from university so I stayed at home, taking a year off of everything.

“Why are you in such a good mood?” he raises his eyebrows in that suggestive matter. “No, just... no. I’m not going out with anyone, I’m just happy to see my gorgeous friend that’s all,” I winked and grabbed an apple from the basket on the counter. “Yah, pay for it first,” he smacked my hand and I stuck my tongue out childishly. I looked around, finding what would fit my appetite right then. Then, I spotted it. I looked at the donut behind the glass lovingly, it was staring right back at me! I averted my eyes from the beautiful donut to the owner, making those infamous puppy dog eyes. “Minseokkie I have no money, care to donate a donut?” I pouted and fluttered my eye lashes. He curled his upper lip in disgust and fake gagged. “That won’t work on me bambi, you have money,” he scoffed.

I looked behind the donuts, to that handle that opens the glass and flicked my wrist, opening it. “You face! You can’t do that in public!” he screamed/whispered, closing the door/glass thing again. The doorbell rang, informing us of the customer’s presence. In walked a tall man, way too tall if you ask me, with blonde hair and that strong eye brow game.

“Can I have the chocolate glazed donut please?” he looked at the last one there and Minseok turned to look at me. I made all sorts of faces and shook my head vigorously. He smirked and turned around, taking the donut and handing to the stranger in the bag. “You’ve got to be kidding me,” I groaned out loud. The stranger turned to me and the first thing I noticed was that he had a mark on his wrist, somewhat like a bird. He pulled his sleeve down once he noticed my look and paid for the donut.

“Thank you.” And he left.

As soon as he left I gawked at the smaller. “You nincompoop! I wanted that!” I whined. “You weren’t going to pay for it,” he shrugged nonchalantly and began wiping the already clean counter. I leaned in closer to him. “Did you notice that mark?” I whispered. “What mark?” Xiumin asked.

The mark, on his wrist,” I nodded towards his wrist. “Again, Luhan? You’re probably seeing things again,” he rolled his eyes and completely dismissed me. Well, I understood where he was coming from; there were another two times where I thought I saw that mark, on this short kid with gigantic eyes and this one guy wearing eye liner. I wasn’t sure about Mr. Owl but the eye liner one definitely had the mark, it was somewhat like the sun.

“He had a slight accent,” I ran my fingertip over my sign. “I noticed, Chinese too?” he asked. “I think so,” I nodded. For the rest of the day I stayed at the café, helping out with a few things and making myself comfortable on the couch.

“Thank you all! Get a goodnight sleep, I’ll be closing up,” Xiumin bid goodbye to the staff and they bowed, leaving the café with smiles on their faces. Xiumin always treated the staff like family, welcoming them with smiles and working with them excitedly throughout the day. I was pretty familiar with them too, since I went there almost every day.

“Come on, let’s go home,” Minseok sighed happily after closing everything and locking the doors. Yeah we also lived together, we had this apartment we shared, pretty cool if you ask me. We made our way down the street, laughing loudly about the time in high school where my football jersey fell into the toilet right before our competition and it being the last one, I had to wear it anyway. “You should’ve seen your face when you got out, you looked like you saw a ghost!” he wheezed, holding his stomach while laughing. “I did so well that day! I promised to always dunk my jersey in the toilet before our matches,” I chortled. “Did you?” he grins widely. I scoffed, “no.”

Then the smell of something burning came floating into my nose. I turned my head to the direction of the smell and off in the distance there was a fire, I couldn’t tell whether it was only a tire or a whole house on fire so I began running. “Luhan! What are you- oh!” he gasped and ran after me, sprinting towards the fire. “Holy crap it’s a whole house! Call the fire department!” I screamed.

“Is anyone in here?” I screamed while Xiumin dialed the number. I looked around and noticed no one was looking so I moved the door house telepathically. I walked in the house, my eyes tearing up from the smoke when I noticed a small figure hunched over in the kitchen, surrounded by fire. I moved the wood out of my way and tapped the person, squinting my eyes. She looked up, surprised. “Help my brother,” she cried out loud. She was a small girl, maybe six or seven years old so I scooped her up in my arms and ran to the door. Right before I made it a giant piece of wood fell right in front of me and a scream escaped my lungs. I looked around, panicking, when I saw the window. I looked at a piece of wood and raised it, smashing it into the window. I moved the shards out of my way my whipping my arm to the right and I carried the girl out of the window. I let go and she landed on her feet, looking up at me. The fire was getting bigger and smoke got in my lungs. I coughed violently and jumped out, stumbling a bit when I landed. I held her hand and ran to Xiumin.

“Oh- Oh my god! Are you okay honey? You’re going to fine,” he kneeled down, wiping her tears, his eyes softening.

“My brother, he’s in there,” her lips quivered, tears threatening to fall again. “Are you sure?” I asked. She nodded. “He did all that, but he didn’t mean it, my brother’s good,” she pouted, her tears falling again when the smell of the smoke inscreased. People were now out of their houses and staring at the fire, calling the fire department. The door was then knocked down when a tall guy ran out the house, unharmed. “Minji!”

He ran to her and scooped her up, hugging her close. “I am so so sorry,” he cried. I looked over his body, only his clothes were burnt. His skin wasn’t harmed in the least. At that time the fire engine arrived, and they let out the fire.

“Thank you, thank you so much,” he bowed to me when he let her down. “You kiddos did a great job, thank you so much seriously!” he huffed, ‘coughing’. I glared at the ground. “How old are you?” I asked.

“21,” he replied.

“I’m your hyung you little ,” I shot him a dirty look.

Oh! I’m sorry!” his wide eyes widened even more.

“Why are you okay?” Xiumin suddenly asked.

 

“Sorry, what?” Chanyeol did a take-back, not sure if he heard wrong. “Your clothes are all burnt up but your skin looks like it hasn’t even been touched,” he questions. “Because Chanyeol has powers!” Minji blurted out.

 

It was silent.

 

Chanyeol laughed nervously. “Kids, huh?” he scratched the back of his head when I noticed the sign on his wrist. In black, there was a bird? Well this one looked more like a bird than sir tall blonde’s.

“What’s that?” I gestured towards the small symbol.

“O-oh, it’s a birthmark,” he stuttered. “Huh, I have one too.”

Minseok pushed his sleeve up to show his snowflake-looking mark.

“Hey, wanna see something cool?” he grinned at Minji who nodded enthusiastically. He looked around to make sure no one was watching when he cupped his hand. He opened it slowly to reveal a perfect snowflake. He blew it from his hand and onto the tip of her nose and she giggled, her child inside showing. Throughout his little freak show, Chanyeol was gaping like a fish out of the water.

“Ey big boy you’re not alone,” I wrapped my arm around his shoulder. However thanks to his awkward height I put my arm back to my side.

“I’m Minseok, I have the power of frost,” Xiumin smiled.

“I’m Luhan, I have the power of telekinesis,” I introduced.

He still had his mouth open wide, jaw hanging. “And there are another three of us!” I clapped my hands together.

Xiumin sighed and shook his head. “He’s seeing things, it’s only us three as we know of right now,” he tsked. “Introduce yourself,” I gestured.

 

 

“I-I’m Chanyeol,

 

 I’m the Phoenix.”

 

 ☣

 

WOOOHOOOO first chapter!

Do not fear! ‘This is so not happening’ is still my no. 1 task.

I will finish that.

I just felt like writing this chapter, so I did huehuehuehue.

Hope you liked it, first chapter is always short though, okay? (':