Four

Rewind

Junhong walked away from Youngjae a little dazed. It had been almost three years since he had last saw him and to see him in the flesh had been a little overwhelming to him. Junhong still remembered when he was in juvy and he told himself that once he got out he was going to look for Youngjae and break his nose, but of course it hadn't been anywhere like that. He had been angry at one point with him. He truly was, but then it suddenly vanished one day. Having to spend two years in prison was life changing for him. He learned nearly fluent English there. With all his time in the world, he  thought he could do something useful with his life. Hell, he had started reading a keeping track of his thoughts in a journal. He even finished his education that he never had. If his mother could see him, she would have been proud. Very proud of him, just like he the as proud of himself.

"Did you get lost?" Jongup asked once Junhong reached them at the table.

"Something like that." He replied as he sat down. He had told them that he was going to go to the bathroom, which he did so he hadn't been lying. Youngjae was a complete coincidence. "I accidentally ran into someone." He mumbled hoping no one would hear him.

"What?" Himchan's eyes widened, "Is it who... I think it is?"

Junhong nodded, "Yeah. He was just leaving. Yongguk Hyung was right, he looked very scared when he saw me." Youngjae did indeed look frightening it made Junhong sad yet satisfied. 

"Did he also run away?" Yongguk cleared his throat as he looked across the horizon as if Youngjae was going to pop out saying 'Hi guys! I brought pizza' like old times.

"He didn't." Junhong bit his lip, feeling a bit awkward since Daehyun was beside him, "We had a small conversation. He's doing not too well but not too bad. He's hanging on."

"Do you think he regrets anything?" Jongup mumbled to no one in particular.

"He--" Junhong opened his mouth to speak but got cut off by the person next to him.

"No." Daehyun spoke harshly, "Why would he? We were just part of his plan all along, so I wouldn't count on everything he says. He's a fuking liar. Are you forgetting he made us think we were his friends? Have you forgotten that, Jongup? Who put you in jail? Who put us in jail? Did you?"

"Of course not." Jongup replied sadly and looked down, "I just--" he sighed and ran his hand through his brown hair, "It just doesn't make sense sometimes."

"Yeah," Daehyun laughed with no humour, "You're right. It doesn't. I hope he does regret everything. I hope he's suffering for it."

He's already suffering and you have no idea

Junhong did not say anything afterwards. He felt as if he didn't deserve to speak anymore because ppart of him wanted to believe Daehyun was right. He was right because Youngjae had betrayed them. Youngjae was the cause for their separation of them as well. He was the reason Junhong ended up in Germany in a detention center because they didn't want to have him in the same one with Jongup. Jongup was stuck in Seoul whilst Yongguk went to Busan. Himchan and Daehyun endednup in Japan. Although he wanted to be angry at Youngjae, Junhong couldn't do it. He wouldn't have finished school, learned English and felt proud of himself. He was ashamed to voice his opinion about Youngjae to Daehyun so the only thing he did was mentally disagree. He couldn't blame him though and Junhong knew that. Daehyun had loved Youngjae so much and Youngjae betrayed him in one of the worst ways anyone could do.

 

 

Daehyun's life hadn't been the best life. His mom was a widow who always struggled with keeping food in the fridge and when she finally did marry someone they never struggled with money ever again. They did struggled with other things though. His mother would get near by the husband and Daehyun couldn't do much but watch because he was too small to do anything. He saw his beautiful mother who was once filled with life disappear. She became a stranger, almost like a robot. His mother wasn't there anymore. He saw what the bearings did to her. He saw every beating and when he turned fourteen he decided to act on it and so he attacked his step dad. That hadn't been smart though because Daehyun endednup with a broken arm, a bruised face and a fractured rib but he never cared. He was happy because instead of his mother getting beat, it was him. That's how things started to change in the household. Chulsoo, his step father started being a lot more nicer to his mother but he started beating Daehyun  When his mother would leave the house. He would always bring up the night of the incident where Daehyun tried to attack him. Chulsoo was smart about the beatings us well, he hit Daehyun where you couldn't see unless he was . Things didn't change at all for two years and Daehyun continued to struggle with the beatings until he turned sixteen. Once he was sixteen, Daehyun felt a little more manlier. Perhaps it was because he had been taking kick boxing classes or puberty had worked his way to him, or maybe it was a mix of both. Whatever it had been, he felt a lot more stronger.

"Daehyun,what would you like for dinner?" His mother kindly asked as she wrapped the apron around her small body. His mother was beautiful. Sh had a childlike face and features. All her friends had been jealous of her looks but all the harsh years and bearings had changed her in a lot of ways. She was till beautiful but now she seemed cold and distant. Her warm eyes were now cold and dull. Even if the beatings had stopped, she still looked lost and unsure. He had almost forgotten what his mother used to look like, before everything happened. Before his dad died, before Chulsoo came into their life.

"Anything. Really." Daehyun replied as he smiled warmly, "Make what you're craving."

His mother smiled shyly, "Well, I've been craving dim sum from the store down the street. You know, the dim sum ms.Songs sells?"

Daehyun chuckled as he stood up, "Ohcyeag. Iknow. Those are your favorite." He got his jacket from the coat hanger, "I'll be back in a few minutes. Won't be out too long, promise. Love you."

His mom smiled from the kitchen as she watched her son go. His mother often smiled buy they never reached her eyes. It saddened Daehyun how someone so loving had had a harsh life. His mother hadn't deserved anything she went through. She had been a teenage mother, along with his father, and they struggled in a lot of ways because both families does on them for a while for becoming parents. They struggled for a while until Daehyun turned three, that's when his grandparents came into his life. Their life seemed to be steady until he turned eight. He turned eight and his father had died from horrible car accident. His father and best friend has been ripped out of his life and he never understood exactly what had happened until he was in middle school. He remembers he stayed at his grandparents house for a while, a long time. He turned 10 and then all of a sudden a new man had entered his mother's life. Daehyun had been thrilled because perhaps he would want to be his friend, but Daehyun was proved wrong when Chulsoo  pushed his mother to the floor harshly. That was on Daehyun realized Chulsoo was not a good person. Good people didn't hurt other good people.

"Will that be all?" Ms. Song, the lady selling the dim sum, asked.

"Can I take two bubble teas please?" Daehyun asked kindly, "Chocolate and strawberry please."

"Of course, of course."

Ms. Song was a nice person, she felt like his third grandma. He often visited their house because she had been aware when Chulsoo was beating his mother. She didn't see too worry much then that Daehyun was of age, and the bearings had stopped, but she still asked once in a while about how they were doing.

"Dae, here's your bubble tea." Ms. Song handed them to him and kissed his cheek, "Take care ok? Call me if you need anything."

On his way home, Daehyun pondered on the thought of how their lives would be if Chulsoo hadn't entered their lives. He knew they would have stayed longer at his grandparents house but he also knew that his mother would have been strong enough to take them out and live on their own. If only Chulsoo had  showed up a year later, his mother would had definitely been too independent to give him a chance. That's all his mother needed, time. Time to heel from the wounds his father left but she was had been venerable and she needed a hand so she took the first thing she could get.

"Umma, I'm home."  He said slowly and walk towards the kitchen. His house was incredibly quiet and a bit eerie it creeped him out. "Umma?" He said again and slapped the black plastic bag on the counter, "I brought the food and some bubble tea." Daehyun grabbed the plates followed with dim sum, rice and beef stew and set them gently on the table. He was about to sit down but then noticed his mother hadn't came out. "Umma where are you?" Daehyun shouted from the kitchen. Nothing was heard but then suddenly he heard a really Lou thump colenfrom the back room and it made his stomach drop.

Is he home?

Daehyun walked fast to the  drawer and grabbed a side before he made his way towards his mother's room. A part of him was scared yet the other half was eeady to fight back to Chulsoo if he dared to touch his mother. Daehyun knew he was old enough to o get a job, so if hey were toceav Chulsoo, they could survive. Although that never happens because as soon as he opened the door, he found his mother on the floor, splattered with blood from hits. She had markings on as if someone had choked her. She looked pale but her face was a bit purple. His beautiful mother's face was covered in blood and her hair was all over the place covering her forehead and some was inside as well. Daehyun walked slowly to her body and went to his knees,l. He wanted to touch her but he thought if he laid a finger on her she, she would break. She looked like fragile glass, like a fragile vase that read 'don't touch' but he needs to know if his mother was going to be ok. He slowly reached her face and her hair away from her face. Her Skin was pale but her face was till purple and it made him want to throw up from fear but he held back. He pressed two fingers on her neck and waited for a beat. Any beat but it never came. He stated to shake and he moved his face ear to her chest and pressed it hoping he could hear something, anything, but once again it never came.

"Um.. Umma." Daehyun's voiced cracked, "I am so sorry. I am sorry. I love you."

Daehyun didn't have enough time to mourn his mother's death because the bathroom door slammed open and Chulsoo came out. He smiled at Daehyun and back at his mother, "Did you like your surprise?" Daehyun could tell by the way he talked and stood that he was drunk, "She didn't follow directions when I told her to make me food. What kind of woman is that? Not a real one." He shook his head as if he were disgusted, "She said something about dim sum." He chuckled, "I hate dim sum."

Daehyun glared at him, feeling his whole body shake from anger and fear, "Is that so?"

Chulsoo stopped chuckling and stared at Daehyun, "Don't look at me like that."

"Why?" Daehyun sneered as he let his anger flow out, "Are you going to kill me too? Just like my mother?"

"Shut up." Chulsoo retorted, "Shut your mouth unless you want to get a real beating."

Daehyun stood up and walked towards Chulsoo and smiled grimly, "You can't beat me if you're dead." Daehyun's smile dropped and before Chulsoo had time to react Daehyun had already plunged the nine inch knife unto his chest. Chulsoo gasped in pain and dropped to the floor and looked at his wound. The sound was gushing with blood.

"I stabbed you right in the heart. You won't even have five minutes." Daehyun sknelt in front of him, "That's something I learned in medical class otherwise I wouldn't have known where to hit you."

Chulsoo coughed, "No one.. No one is going to believe you."

Daehyun looked at him and back at his knife, "Goodbye, Chulsoo." He said bitterly and pushed the knife into his skull with all his strength causing Chulsoo to drop instantly. Chulsoo was shaking.

"I hate you. I ing hate you." Daehyun kept stabbing his face and skull, "I hate you for everything you put us thorough. I hate you for what you did to my mother when she didn't deserve none of this. I hate you!" 

When Daehyun was finished, he found himself in front of Ms. Song's house.  He was a crying mess. He was covered in blood and all his anger had vanished. Ms. Song was extremely shocked and askd what had happened.l and Daehyun replied. Telling the truth. He told her about how he changed and started beating him instead of his mother. He told her how it was his fault that she was dead because if he hadn't left, his mother would still be there. Ms. Song told Daehyun to take a warm shower and that they would figure everything out once he was clean. Daehyun knew what that meant. That meant he would have to call the police and that meant a lot of years I'm jail because Daehyun had killed a cop. So once Daehyun was eaned up with brand new clothes he left. He left Ms. Song's home and ran away into the dirty streets o Busan and caught a train that to Seoul. He spent most of his days in Seoul for a few days until he realized his face was everywhere. It hadn't even been a week when they discovered the bodies of his mother and Chulsoo. Daehyun only came out at night after that. It wasn't until a few days later when Yongguk found him. It had been a long day for Daehyun, hiding out under a bridge so he wouldn't get caught from the police was a lot to endure. After all, he was being charged for two murders. He often saw Ms. Song on the news and she tried to thell them but no one would take her serious. Who would? She was eighty and no one wanted to believe a policeman, someone that was meant to protect, killed and beat someone.

"Jung Daehyun." A deep voice said behind which caused Daehyun to stand up too fast, too fast because he nearly slipped into the water but Yongguk was quick and grabbed his arm, "I apologize for frightening you." He said as he pulled him up, "I'm Bang Yongguk. I saw you on the news a few days ago and I was really interested in what Ms. Song was saying."

Daehyun stayed quiet and observed Yongguk for a long time.

Is he an under cover cop? Who is this guy? Hm, he seems too young to be a cop

Daehyun nodded, looked away and stared into the water.

"I'm the leader of a gang called BAP. We aren't a badgang but we stick together because we don't have family like you. We don't want to be stuck in the system of foster care. We all know what it's like to struggle." Yongguk sighed, "We reside on the outskirts of Dal Dongnae which is not a far walk from here. If you ever want to get a hold of me, just ask around there. Everyone knows me." Yongguk smiled at Daehyun, "I'll be leaving now and remember, you have somewhere to go now. Stay safe, kid."

Daehyun watched Yongguk go and after almost two weeks Daehyun felt some sort of security.

 

 

 

 

I was going to do it into two chapters but decided against 'cause I like long chapters. I decided to give you guys some information on Daehyun and as you can see he doesn't have a good reputation with cops hehe

Enjoy ^^