Two

Rewind

"Are you ok though?" Jaebum, Youngjae' s best friend, asked once they were both seated at the famous Lee's cafe. They had decided to go eat somewhere once they got off work and Youngjae had insisted on going to Lee's. Youngjae enjoyed coming to Lee's because not only was it Korean based but it was pet friendly and vegan. Youngjae had made a  lifestyle choice and went vegetarian. He had lost a lot of weight and he had been proud he lost his baby fat in a healthy way.

"Yeah, I think I am." Youngjae sighed, "I just got a big scare. I'll probably be dreaming about it for a while."

"I was a little worried when you didn't show up. I even called you multiple times but it would go straight to voicemail and that worried me even more." Jaebum admitted as he took a sip of his iced coffee.

"My phone was damaged due to it being ejected out of the car. I'm going to have to buy a new one." Youngjae ran a hand through his black hair, "My arm is broken and I don't know what to do with myself. It feels like such a big burden to have this cast."

"You'll be out of it in no time. Don't worry too much about it." 

Youngjae took a sip of his smoothie and debated if he should tell Jaebum about his encounter with Yongguk. Youngjae had tried to not think of it all day but it was hard especially now that he was out of work since that meant he could bump into him again.

"Um, JB?" Youngjae set his smoothie down on the tan table and looked at Jaebum, "I saw Yongguk today."

Jaebum stared at Youngjae briefly before he unwrapped his sandwich. Jaebum did in fact know who Bang Yongguk was as well as the rest of the gang. He knew what Youngjae had to do a few years back, he knew the sacrifice he had to make. He also knew how he still felt bad about it till this day, that's why he never wanted to bring it up. He hadn't want to open up old wounds.

"Oh?" Jaebum raised an eyebrow, "Isn't he supposed to be in jail? He didn't assault you in any way? Speak?"

Youngjae shook his head, "He called out to me and I ran away, and I don't know. I guess he must have been set free. JB, I'm really afraid. I don't..I don't know what to do."

"This is what you're going to do," Jaebum grabbed Youngjae's hand, "You're going to keep living your life as if you didn't see him. You're going to get better mentally and physically and we're hitting the gym once again. Don't worry about him or the rest. I'll be the one doing the research on them as to why they're out and such. You, mister, just sit back and relax."

Youngjae smiled sadly at his best friend wondering what he did to deserve such an amazing person. Jaebum was there when he got rejected for the first time ever. Jaebum was there when he came out as biual. He was there when he made the decision of joining JB at becoming a cop. Jaebum was there when Youngjae's noona was diagnosed with cancer. He was there when Youngjae's world fell apart that Thursday night. He had cried himself to sleep. Jaebum was there when Youngjae tried to kill himself last year. Jaebum was always there. He was the one that kept pushing Youngjae to be a better person. To feel better about himself.

"Thank you." Youngjae whispered loudly enough for Jaebum to hear, clutching both of Jaebum's hands in his. He didn't know how to express his gratitude, " Thank you so much, JB." Thank you didn't seem enough to Youngjae these days.

"It's no problem. That's what best friends do." Jaebum smiled widely before taking a big bite off his sandwich. Jaebum also had had a task like Youngjae. The only thing different was hat he isn't become close with any of them. Jaebum too didn't fall in love with one of the gangsters. Youngjae had a theory for that. He had a theory of why he had gotten close to bap. His theory was he felt connected to them because they understood him better. Even better than JB. They understood how it felt to not be accepted by their parents and not supporting their dreams. They knew it too well and it had made Youngjae feel less of an outcast.

"Hey, JB?" Youngjae mumbled, "Are you ever going to return to Seoul?"

"I don't see myself going anywhere soon but who knows? Maybe I'll change my mind in twelve months." JB shrugged, "In all honesty, I enjoy living in Tokyo."

"More like you enjoy Seulgi." Youngjae snorted.

"Yah."JB's face flushed brightly.

"Just ask her our already. Someone else is going to snatch her away."

The good thing about being friends with Jaebum was that, even if he was straight he never got mad at Youngjae for liking both es. He never found him disgusting. He never  made it awkward.

"Oh yeah? Like who? You?" Jaebum rolled his eyes in a playful manner, "She thinks you're mean because you never say hi nor smile."

"Yeah but I bet I can make her swoon with one of my smiles." Youngjae pulled his flirty smile causing Jaebum to laugh.

"It needs work." Jaebum retorted, "Anyway, let's eat up before we lose our apettite."

And they ate. Surprisingly Jaebum had enjoyed his vegetarian meal. That's one thing he liked about Jaebum. He was open to try new things. He liked open minded Jaebum better than narrow minded JB when the were back in high school.  That was how their evening had went until it was finally time to go their own way.

"Are you sure you don't want a ride home?" Jaebum askd as they exited the cafe.

"I'm taking the subway. It drops me off right across my apartments. Thanks though."

"Alright. Text me when you get home ok?" Jaebum hugged Youngjae tightly, "Be safe."

Youngjae smiled, "I will. Drive safe."

Youngjae hadn't want to bother JB for a drive home even though he really wanted it. JB lived across town and making his best friend drive him to his house would be too much. He was a little nervous as he made his way through town looking around silently. Trying to see if he recognized a familiar face. He didn't feel like having any drama in his life at that moment. He wanted to just lay down on his bed and sleep for eternity until things got better, but would they get better if he just slept?

Maybe I have to make it better, but how?

 

Sorry for any mistakes I made. No spelling check once again.