Hero

I'll Protect You

Eunhyuk sat on the grassy area on the school yard, enjoying his lunch under the shade of a tree. Since it was so nice out today, he decided to eat lunch outside rather than in. 

He was about to take another bite of his sandwich when something hit him at the back of his head hard, making him stagger foreword, his sandwich dropping to the ground. Rubbing the back of his now sore head, he twisted around to see what the cause of it was. Laying on the grass a foot away was a football. 

"Whoops, sorry there, trash. We didn't see ya there," Kangin called over from where he stood a few meters away, sniggering. Kyuhyun and Heechul stood beside him. "Do you think you could manage throwing that ball over to us? Or would all that physical activity be too much for you?"

Fighting back a scowl, Eunhyuk reached over and grabbed the football. Gripping it in his hand tightly, he threw the ball back as hard as he could. Kyuhyun easily and cooly caught it and handed it over to Kangin.

"Ooh! Looks like someone's angry," Heechul hooted. 

"Nice try there, trash, but you're going to have to do better than that," Kangin said through a laugh. Rising a hand in farewell, Kangin began to walk away, Heechul and Kyuhyun following. For a moment before Kyuhyun turned away, their eyes met. Warm brown met with icy brown. 

Eunhyuk let out a shakey breath as they walked away, running his hand threw his hair and his stomach in knots. 

~~~~

Eunhyuk sat at the back of the science classroom, at the desk beside Kyuhyun. He was hunched over his desk, pencil moving across the lined paper on the desk in front of him. Beside him Kyuhyun layed on his desk, his head buried in his arms, and his earphones resting snugly in his ears. If Eunhyuk listened hard enough, he could hear the faint buzz of the music playing through them. 

It was nearing the end of the second week since they were assigned the science fair, the last week they had to work on it, and their teacher had given them another class to work on it. Eunhyuk was working on turning the oberservations he had so far recorded into a presentable paragraph and chart. Their science fair was pretty much finished. All the information was recorded, the experiment finish. All that was left was finishing up the lab report. A good thing too, as the project was due tomorrow. 

Eunhyuk sighed as he cast a glance at Kyuhyun. He normally wasn't one to finish his projects so close to the due date, but the mere thought of asking Kyuhyun back to his place to work on it sent his stomach flipping, giving him the vauge feeling of needing to find the nearest bathroom, and fast. But since today was their last day to work on it, Eunhyuk had no choice but to ask.

After long moments of lip biting and hand wringing, his soul dying a slow and painful death at the mere thought of the task before him, Eunhyuk finally worked up the nerve to ask.

Hand shaking, he reached out and poked Kyuhyun's shoulder. 

"What?" Kyuhyun asked irritbly, voice muffled due to the fact he handn't lifted his head from his arms. 

"Uh," Eunhyuk began, a bit offended Kyuhyun hadn't even bothered to look at him. But then again, he should've expected as much, right? Wasn't as if Kyuhyun liked him at all, or had any respect for him. Afterall, Kyuhyun and his friends thought he was trash.

"Are you going to come over after school today? Today's the last day to work on it."

Kyuhyun grunted. "Sure. Fine. Whatever."

Eunhyuk nodded to himself, wipping his now sweaty palms on his jeans. Who knew asking a single question could be so nerve wracking?

~~~~

Eunhyuk sighed as he looked over at the clock from where he sat on the floor.

6:30. 

"Ughhhh," he silently groaned to himself. They had been working on their science fair for two hours now, and they still had more left to do. They had finally finished writing everything up almost an hour ago, but it was taking some time laying everything out on their poster board. It had taken 3 tries to print everything out with a big enough font, and, after laying all the text on the board, they realized that they would need pictures as well. That was fine and dandy, except for one thing. Eunhyuk's printer ran out of ink. So now the two of them had to draw out the pictures. Thankfully Kyuhyun had fianlly decided to help and agreed to draw a few of the pictures, as he no doubt had felt pity for Eunhyuk, who was close to tears he was so frustrated. 

So there they had sat for the past half hour, art supplies spread around them as they worked silently on their drawings. Now though, Eunhyuk began to feel his stomach rumble its discontent at being underfed. It was hungry, and it wanted food. Soon. 

Eunhyuk stood up, his bones popping as he stetched. He looked over at Kyuhyun who sat at his desk, drawing a picture of one of the plants from their expieriment.

"Hey, Kyuhyun, I'm going to cook some supper. You care what we have?"

Kyuhyun looked up at him, eyes brightening at the promise of food. "No. As long as its edible," Kyuhyun said.

Eunhyuk nodded at him before he walked out of the bedroom. 

"Hey! Rin and Len! I'm making supper now, okay?" He yelled from where he stood in the kicthen, pulling out the different supplied he'd need.

~~~~

Rin peaked her head into the kitchen, where she saw her older brother was hard at work. 

"Great! Now's my chance to talk with Kyuhyun!" She thought gleefully.

Skipping past the living room, she went into the bedroom where Kyuhyun was. A scowl fell on her face however when she saw her that Len was already there, busy chatting with Kyuhyun.

"Stupid Len, this was supposed to my chance to talk to Kyuhyun! How am I ever going to woo him if you're here?!

"So you see, that's why Batman is my favorite super hero! He's just so awesome!" Len excliamed, waving his Batman action figure he held in his hands for empthesis. "Do you have a favorite super hero?" 

Kyuhyun shook his head. "Sorry, can't say I do." 

"Of course Kyuhyun wouldn't have a favourite super hero! He's too mature for things like that," Rin said.

"Oh, please! You barely even know what mature means!" Len agrued.

"Do so! It's someone who's not like you! Its someone like Kyuhyun," Rin retorted, sending Kyuhyun a smile. 

"Humph," Len grumped, crossing his arms.

"Anyway, someone like Kyuhyun isn't interested in super heros. They're not real. Kyuhyun's interested in a hero that's real."

"Oh!" Len said, eyes wide. "Whose your hero then, Kyuhyun?" 

"I don't have one of those either," Kyuhyun admitted with a shrug. 

"Aw, c'mon Kyuhyun! You have to! Big Brother has one," Len protested.

"Yeah! Even we have a hero," Rin added.

"Oh?" Kyuhyun rose his eyebrow. "Who's your hero then?" 

"Big Brother!" Len excliamed.

Kyuhyun's eyes widened in disbelief. "Eunhyuk is your hero?" 

The twins grinned at him and nodded.

"Why?" He asked, bewildered.

"Well," Rin began quietly before stopping, looking behind her shoulder quickly. "You can't tell Big Brother we told you this, okay?" Rin told him seriously.

"Yeah. He doesn't want anyone to know," Len added. 

Kyuhyun looked at the twins serious expressions and nodded. "Alright. I promise."

"Two years ago, our Father still lived with us," Rin began. 

"One night, our parents were fighting. They were yelling and screaming at each other, and Mother even began sobbing. Mother had caught Father cheating. His girlfriend drove right past our house to pick him up. Through out the whole fight, Big Brother had us all in his bed, where he hugged us and got us to stop crying. Soon after the shouting stopped, Father came into our room. Big Brother told us to leave, to go find Mother while he talked to Father," Rin said.

"We didn't, of course," Len piped in. "We stood outside in the hallway and peaked in through the door, since we didn't close it all the way when we left."

"Big Brother was so cool. He stood up to Father. He said, "You're no good to us. We don't love you or need you anymore I can take care of Mother and the twins. After he said that, Father raised his hand. It looked like he was about to hit him. And not some soft, little hit either. But a good solid one, " Rin said.

"But Big Brother stood his ground! He stared him right in the eye and didn't even flinch when Father made to hit him! After that, Father just walked out the door and left. We never saw him again," Len finished.

Rin nodded in agreement, a frown marring her face as memories from that time flowed in. She remembered being so scared, so frightened. Shouting, screaming, yelling, and sobbing was all that existed in her world. The dark of the house, which never used to scare her, now sent her hair on end. So just wanted this never ending night to be over. For the sun to come and the shouting to stop. But it never ended, and the never ending night dragged on. But than Big Brother had come, had carried her and Len to his bed and comforted them. Wrapped them in his arms and whispered gentle words until her and Len slowly fell asleep. 

Thinking back on it now, Rin wondered who had comforted Big Brother. How long had he sat there, listening to their parents fight, long after her and Len had fallen asleep? Who had wiped away his own silent tears? Had anyone stopped and thought to comfort Big Brother? Her and Len didn't. They were too young to be able to. Certainly not Mother either, as she was so broken for days after. No way she'd have collected herself enough to comfort anyone. And their Father comforting Big Brother? Out of the question since he had left them that night. 

Thinking about Big Brother being alone through that time depressed Rin. It saddened her to know that no one had comforted Big Brother, that he had only hisself to seek comfort from. Had he ever really gotten over that? Was he still hurting from that night? Rin didn't know, but one thing was for certain. She had the grestest, strongest Big Brother in the world. She loved him with all her heart, and she knew Len was the same. 

Shaking her head to clear her thoughts, she looked at Kyuhyun. He wore an expression on his face that Rin couldn't place. Was that admiration she saw? When he caught Rin looking, he quickly wiped his face blank. 

Rin furrowed her forehead. She wondered what Kyuhyun was thinking about. Before she could ask him though, Big Brother called to them to eat. 

"Come on, guys. Sounds like the food's ready," Kyuhyun said as he got up from his seat, ushering Rin and Len out before he followed behind them.