Meet Again

I'll Protect You

Eunhyuk stared, slack-jawed, at the figure sitting in front of him. Unwillingly he felt tears form at the corners of his eyes. He couldn't help it though. He was just so happy. As a startled, shaky laugh escaped his lips, he felt his entire body vibrate with excitement. He never thought he'd be lucky enough to see him again. When Kyuhyun had left all those years ago, he had felt, deep down inside him, that they would never meet again. Yet here he was, sitting right in front of him in all his glory.

As he stared, Kyuhyun turned his head. Their eyes met. Eunhyuk waited for the flash of recognition in his eyes. For that large, warm, cheery smile Kyuhyun always wore. For the moment he'd get his first friend, his best friend, back. 

But that moment never came. Kyuhyun's eyes lazily slid past his own, slipped behind him and met with the gaze of someone else. Eunhyuk felt all the air leave his body, felt his heart clench painfully. Kyuhyun, his saviour, his hero, didn't recognize him. 

The person Kyuhyun made eye contact with, a tall dark-haired male, made his way through the crowd to stand beside Kyuhyun, slapping his back with a cheery smile as he welcomed the brunette back. Eunhyuk recognized him as someone from the group of popular kids. 

Eunhyuk opened his mouth, wanting to say something to Kyuhyun. What, he didn't know, but he wanted to say something, anything, to Kyuhyun, so that maybe Kyuhyun would remember him. Before he could get a word out however, their first period teacher walked into the class room and ordered everyone to take their seats. 

With heavy steps, Eunhyuk made his way to the first row. He had chosen the seat to be closer to the blackboard and the teacher. He knew sitting at the front would help his grades, help him gain the 90% he needed to keep his scholarship, but a part of him began to regret his decision as it left him on the other side of the classroom from Kyuhyun, who sat in the back row. 

If he had chosen a seat further back, he'd be closer to Kyuhyun right now. Being closer meant more time around Kyuhyun, more time for Kyuhyun to recognize him. He was hoping that earlier had been a fluke, but still, being around the brunette was ideal. Who knew how often Eunhyuk would be able to be around him? This could very well be the only class they shared. 

With a small sigh, Eunhyuk gave his head a little shake. He could worry about this later, for now, he needed to concentrate on the lesson. Pulling his note book and pens from his bag, he opened up to a fresh page and got ready for an hour of learning. 

~~~~

Class ended and Eunhyuk got up from his seat, quickly packing away his stuff. He watched as Kyuhyun got up from his seat and walked out the door. Eyes on the brunettes back, he followed him out into the hall. Eunhyuk wanted to follow him and see where his next class was, but before he could he was abruptly shoved into a wall of lockers. Shoulder stinging from the impact he looked up to see one of his tormentors looming before him, a smirk playing on his face. 

"Hey there, trash," the short, dark-haired teen said. 

Eunhyuk stayed quiet, biting his lip. 

"I said 'Hey there, trash," the dark-haired teen spat angrily, "It's rude not to greet someone when they say hi." He grabbed the collar of Eunhyuk shirt and lifted him against the lockers roughly, making sure to slam Eunhyuk's head against it. "Now are you going to say hi?" He demanded.

Eunhyuk nodded his head rapidly, his neck feeling choked from the sudden pressure of being held by the collar of his shirt. 

"Then say it," he snarled. "And you better apologize for being rude," he said, tightening the hold on Eunhyuk's shirt.

"H-hi, sorry for being r-rude," Eunhyuk choked out, his throat burning. 

"That's better," the teen said with a smug smile. 

"Kangin! Hurry up! We're going to be late for class!" Someone yelled from down the hall.

Sighing, the teen, Kangin, loosened his hold on Eunhyuk and lowered him to the floor, but not before giving his head one last slam against the locker. 

"Sorry, trash. Looks like I gotta go. See ya later," he said with one last smirk before turning away. "Coming Heechul!" He yelled as he ran down the hall.

Throat burning and his head ringing, Eunhyuk watched Kangin run down the hall and out of his sight in silence. Once he was gone, Eunhyuk turned in the other direction and began to make his way to his second period class. 

Reaching the doorway of his next class, Eunhyuk walked inside and his eyes widened when he saw Kyuhyun sitting in one of the seats in the back row. Feeling a grin spilt his face, Eunhyuk took his own seat at the front. Maybe his luck was finally turning. 

~~~~

Eunhyuk sat in the far corner of the cafeteria. He liked to fancy himself so important that he had a table all to himself. In reality though, it was because no body wanted to eat with him. So, alone he sat at a table all the way in the corner of the cafeteria. His nearest companion was a garbage can, something people couldn't help but to laugh at and deem fitting as they passed by. 

Eunhyuk didn't mind eating alone though. Not anymore at least. He was used to it by now, so it no longer bothered him. Not that he didn't wish at times for someone to come sit with him. Someone he could talk to, share his thoughts with, joke with. But still, sitting alone didn't bother him either. 

His table in the corner provided an excellent view of the table everyone knew as the popular kid's table. Usually, this fact would disgruntle him, as it was a tad hard to enjoy your lunch when you had an undisrupted view of the people who bullied you. However, today he learned it had its benefits as now Kyuhyun sat in his view. 

He watched the brunette eat his lunch with a smile on his face. After so long of being apart, it was nice finally being able to see him again. Opening his bagged lunch and taking out his lone sandwich (the lunches at the cafe were way too expensive for Eunhyuk), Eunhyuk sat and watched Kyuhyun in contentment. 

Sure, it irked Eunhyuk a bit to see Kyuhyun talking and joking with his tormentors. To know that Kyuhyun and them were friends. But more than anything, Eunhyuk was just happy to see Kyuhyun again. 

Kyuhyun was his hero. He had come into Eunhyuk's life like a light in the dark, a light Eunhyuk clutched onto with all his might. When he was scared and alone Kyuhyun came and helped him when no one else did, when no one else could. His father was a drunkard, too busy drinking himself to oblivion or cheating on Eunhyuk's mom to care. His mother was far too busy working to support their family, and later being pregnant, to even know what was going on with her son, let alone help. 

When Kyuhyun had found him, he had been ready to give up. He had started to believe what people said was true. That'd he grow up to be a worthless, useless man. That'd he'd become a cheating drunk like his farther. Even though he was just six, he had known too well what it was like to be lonely. No friends and constantly picked on, he was rarely happy. But Kyuhyun came and became his friend. He made Eunhyuk smile and laugh. He gave Eunhyuk hope for tomorrow. Gave him the determination to do his best. He reminded little Eunhyuk what it was like to be a kid again, what it was like to be happy, to be human. 

Kyuhyun had been his light, his light in the dark that was his world, and you had better believe Eunhyuk clutched onto his light, relied on it.

So yeah, Eunhyuk was glad to see Kyuhyun again. After all, he owes the brunette everything. It was thanks to him that Eunhyuk got onto the path he did. It also meant that it hurt a lot more when Kyuhyun didn't recognize him that morning. 

Finishing up his sandwich, Eunhyuk packed up and quickly made his way to his 4th period class. He always left lunch early so that'd he be able to go to class without being harassed by Kangin and the other popular kids. 

Sitting in his seat at the front, he pulled out his notebooks and started to review the notes from his previous classes in the time it took until class began. He turned a blind eye towards the students who began shuffling in, too focused on the notes in front of him. 

He only looked up again when the teacher began checking the attendance. Listening for his name, he waited while the teacher went through all the names on the list. 

"Cha Hakyeon?" The teacher called.

"Present!"

"Cho Kyuhyun?" 

"Here

Eunhyuk's head whipped around so fast that for a second he was afraid he'd get whiplash. He stared at the brunette who sat in the back row. Kyuhyun's gaze slithered away from the window he was staring out of and over to Eunhyuk's face. Their eyes met once again and Eunhyuk felt himself stop breathing, anticipation bubbling inside of him. Kyuhyun's eyes narrowed before he turned and looked out the window again. 

Disappointment flooded inside Eunhyuk. Kyuhyun still hadn't recognized him. Slowly, he turned his head to look up at the teacher, who had finished the attendance and was beginning to start the lesson. 

~~~~

Kyuhyun walked out of the classroom, Eunhyuk following close behind, his eyes glued on the taller's back. He followed the other around a corner before he stopped short, startled. Kyuhyun had stopped walking and was turned, facing him. They stared at each other for a moment, Kyuhyun's stare dark, while Eunhyuk's was confused.

"H-," Eunhyuk began before he was cut off.

"Why are you following me, freak? You've been staring at me all day. Stop it." Kyuhyun growled.

Eunhyuk's mouth snapped shut, hurt dancing across his face. Kyuhyun stared at him through narrowed eyes. 

"I-," Eunhyuk started to say, before being cut off once again.

"Whatever you have to say, forget it. I don't care. Just stop it already," Kyuhyun snapped before he his heels and began walking down the hall again.

Eunhyuk stared after him for a moment, trying to ignore the prickling feeling he felt behind his eyes. This was not the way he was expecting things to go. Not at all. He was expecting a happy reunion. Not this... this anger. This wasn't how he remembered Kyuhyun to be. 

Not that Kyuhyun remembered him at all. 

Eunhyuk's stomach dropped as the realization finally sunk in. Kyuhyun didn't remember him. The person who had saved his life, who had been his anchor in a world that was constantly thrashing him about, didn't remember him. Didn't remember those times where they sat together for hours, just watching the clouds. When they'd laugh until they cried. He didn't remember when they fought together against the bullies as a team, didn't remember when they treated each other's wounds whenever the fight got particularly rough. When they'd read those books with pictures of the world, vowing that one day they'd travel to all those places together. 

Tears began to drop down Eunhyuk's face. He quickly wiped them away, afraid someone would see. He pushed down the sadness that threatened to overwhelm him, knowing he couldn't afford to break down. Not here, not now. Not when he was in the middle of the hallway and his tormentors could come walking around the corner any second and see him. 

Giving his head a quick shake and steeling his nerves, he began walking again. He needed to get to class soon or he'd be late. Keeping a bit of distance between him and Kyuhyun, he began walking down the hall again. He only got a few steps before Kyuhyun whipped around a second time, a snarl on his lips.

"What part of leave me the hell alone do you not understand?!"

"Well, I- My class is this way," Eunhyuk said, biting his lip. 

Kyuhyun let out a huff of annoyance. "Of course it is," he muttered before turning around again.

Silently they made their way down the hall. Eventually Kyuhyun turned into a classroom, one that caused Eunhyuk to pause. The classroom Kyuhyun walked into was his 5th period class as well. 

Taking a deep breath, Eunhyuk walked into the classroom after him. Heading towards his desk, he felt a pair of eyes on him and he looked up to see Kyuhyun glaring at him. Eunhyuk met his eyes for a moment, sadness welling up inside of him. The last time he had seen those eyes, they were looking at him warmly. Now they were glaring at him. Cold, hard and dark. 

Sending the other a small shrug, Eunhyuk went and sat down at his desk, pulling out the notebooks and pens that he would need. He tried to ignore the stare he felt piercing into his back. Eventually as class started, the set of eyes moved away from his back, and Eunhyuk was able to breath easier.