The Oak Tree

I'll Protect You

On the side of the track farthest from the school, between the track and the school's fence, sat a large oak tree that towered over its surroundings. Underneath that oak tree, enjoying the shade it provided, sat a brown-haired skinny youth. It was lunch time, and with the sun shining and the clear blue skies, a sign of the warm weather, Eunhyuk had decided to switch from eating lunch in the cafe to eating outside. It would be more enjoyable to eat under the oak rather than in the stuffy cafeteria. It was much nicer than eating in the cafe, with all the hateful looks he received. Out here it was much more calmer and peaceful, with the sounds of the rustling leaves and the singing of birds to keep him company. 


He laid agaisnt the solid trunk of the tree, eyes closed and his head titled, soaking up the rays of the sun, his lunch laying half-eaten beside him. The sound of footsteps rustling through the grass caught his attention, and he opened his eyes to peer curiously around him. He had thought being this far out would guarantee his solitude, but perhaps someone else had had the same idea as him. His eyes widened when they landed on the figure standing a meter in front of him. Even with the sunlight shining into his eyes making it hard too see, that perfectly styled hair and handsome face was unmistakable. 


"Kyuhyun?" Eunhyuk gaped. 


"Hey," he greeted with a nod, walking a few more steps before sitting down in front of Eunhyuk, his knee pulled up and an arm resting on it. 


"What are you doing here?" Eunhyuk asked.


"Sitting," Kyuhyun answered with a small smirk. 


"Why?"


"Because I don't feel like standing." The smirk grew slightly.


"But why here?" 


"Fresh air is good for you," Kyuhyun replied, his smirk ever growing. 


"No, why are you here with me?" Eunhyuk clarified, getting irritated at all the round about answers. 


"I don't know," Kyuhyun said, smirk momentarily falling as he shrugged. "I just felt like sitting here. Besides, you looked like you could use some company," he said. 


Eunhyuk felt his mouth open and close numerous times, speechlessness taking ahold of him at the turn of events. Kyuhyun, who just a few days before had been a jerk to him, had beaten him up, was now the same Kyuhyun who had helped him from Kangin and the others and who was now offering to spend time with him. What in the hell was going on? 


"You going to eat that?" Kyuhyun asked, pointing to the chocolate chip cookies Eunhyuk had in his lunch bag. 


"Uh, no. Go ahead," he said, eyes wide as he watched Kyuhyun. The handsome brunette reached over and took the cookie, happily munching on it. 


Eunhyuk felt like he was in clould 9. His heart raced as he took in the boy before him. Kyuhyun was eating lunch with him! He couldn't believe it. He had been sure that their friendship had been lost. They had both changed too much for it to survive the test of time. Yet here Kyuhyun was. Eating lunch with him, just like friends would do. Maybe... Maybe there was still hope for them yet. 


A large grin splayed over Eunhyuks face. 


"Why are you looking at me like that?" Kyuhyun asked, raising an eyebrow. "It's creepy." 


"Oh! Er, sorry," Eunhyuk said, fighting down an embarresed blush. 


~~~~


3 weeks later saw Eunhyuk sitting under the oak tree, softly humming to himself as he opened his lunch bag. When a shadow fell over him, he looked up, a goofy grin spreading across his face.


"Why do you always smile at me like that every time I come?" Kyuhyun asked, eyebrow raised as he sat down beside Eunhyuk on the grass.


Eunhyuk paused. An awkward smile appreared on his face as his eyes lowered sightly. "Because I'm never sure when you'll change your mind and stop coming. So every day you come I'm really happy."


Kyuhyun was silent for a few moments as he observed the boy in front of him. 


"Don't worry though, I'll understand when you eventaully stop. I'm sure you're friends don't like the idea of you eating with me," Eunhyuk added in an effort to break the silence that was quickly beginning to worry him.


Kyuhyun reached over and smacked him on the back of the head. "Idiot. I don't care what my friends think, I like eating lunch with you."


Eunhyuk blushed, hiding it behind his sandwich. "Really?" 


"Of course. I wouldn't be here if I didn't," Kyuhyun said while glancing at Eunhyuk, seeing him silently chew on his sandwich. "Don't worry about it," Kyuhyun added, leaning sideways to bump shoulders with Eunhyuk. "I'm not going anywhere anytime soon." 


Eunhyuk sent Kyuhyun a beaming smile. He soon had to wipe his eyes however, as tears flowed unwillingly down his face. He couldn't stop them, however much he tried. The warm feeling growing in his chest and swirling all throughout his body had turned his eyes into a faucet. 


~~~~


The rustinlg of grass alerted Eunhyuk to Kyuhyun's approach. Quickly, he pulled the hood of his hoodie up over his head, trying to cover as much as his face as he could before Kyuhyun got too close. 


"Hey, Eunhyuk," Kyuhyun greeted, sinking down beside him in front of the tree.


"Hey," Eunhyuk said, ducking his head low and biting into his sandwich. He could feel Kyuhyun's eyes on him. 


"Something wrong?" Kyuhyun asked. 


"No, why?" 


"You're acting weird, not to mention you're avoiding looking at me," Kyuhyun said.


"Oh," Eunhyuk let out some nervous laughter. "Is that all?"


"That, and you're hood is up. Why? It's really warm out today." 


"Oh, um, it's because I'm feeling cold. The school's air conditioning works a little to well, don't you think?" Another bout of nervous laughter. 


"Hmm," Kyuhyun hummed, falling into silence. 


Eunhyuk felt himself relax as the silence continued. Maybe Kyuhyun would drop it. His hopes were soon dashed however as Kyuhyun's face suddenly appread before him, his hand speedily pulling off Eunhyuk's hood. Eyes wide, Eunhyuk shoved Kyuhyun away from him. 


"What are you doing?" Eunhyuk demanded, his face feeling exposed.


Kyuhyun's eyes narrowed as he looked at Eunhyuk's face, and when he spoke, anger laced his voice. "What happened?"


Eunhyuk avoided looking into Kyuhyun's dark orbs. "What do you mean?" 


"I mean," Kyuhyun said, eyes softing as he reached out a hand and gently touched Eunhyuk's cheek where a large bruise decorated it's surface, "who did this to you?" 


"No one important," Eunhyuk said.


"Eunhyuk," Kyuhyun said, "tell me who did this to you." 

 

"Just some people."


"Eunhyuk, " Kyuhyun repeated, voice hardening.


Eunhyuk bit his lip, squeezing his eyes shut before opening them again. He gave a long sigh and nodded his head. "Fine, I'll tell you. It was Kangin, Heechul and Shindong okay? Are you happy now? Can we drop it?" 


Kyuhyun opened his mouth, but Eunhyuk quickly stopped him. "Stop. I know what you're going to say and don't. There's nothing you can do about this, Kyuhyun. Kids will always bully kids, it's just the way it is. I've come to accept the fact that I'm just one of those people who will always be bullied. You should too. Now can we please just drop this? I don't want to talk about this anymore," Eunhyuk pleaded, eyes red from held back tears. 


Silently, Kyuhyun nodded. The two slowly went back to eating their lunch, switching the conversation topic to more neutral matters. But, if Eunhyuk had looked into Kyuhyun eyes just then, he would've noticed the glint that shone strongly in them.