Partners

I'll Protect You

"Where are we going?" Kyuhyun asked from where he was walking behind Eunhyuk, his hands shoved deep into his pockets. 

"To my house," Eunhyuk answered simply. 

"Just how far away do you live?" Kyuhyun grumped. "We've been walking for forever."

"Not that far," Eunhyuk said. "We just have to stop somewhere first." 

"What? Why? Where?" Kyuhyun demanded, his frown deepening. 

"The elementary school down the road."

"Why? Are you actually only in grade 6? Did you come to my high school as a preliminary type thing? To get an early taste of high school?" Kyuhyun taunted, "That would sure explain why you're so scrawny."

Eunhyuk glanced over his shoulder quickly, a frown pulling on his lips. Kyuhyun smirked at him. Letting out a sigh, Eunhyuk shook his head. "C'mon, we're almost there," he replied wearily.

Reaching the school gates, Eunhyuk scanned the school yard until two blonde blobs running towards him caught his eye. 

"Brother!" The twins yelled happily as they came up to him, quickly wrapping their arms around him in a giant hug.

"Hey, you guys," he greeted with a large grin, hugging them back.

"Who's that?" Len asked curiously, nodding his chin at Kyuhyun after they had ended their hug.

"That's Kyuhyun. He's coming over today so we can work on our project," Eunhyuk explained, glancing at Kyuhyun to see him standing with a bored expression on his face. 

Eunhyuk bit his lip. He didn't want the twins to know that Kyuhyun was the cause of the bruises that resided on him. He hadn't let it known to his family the troubles he faced at school, hadn't wanted them to worry, and he wasn't about to let it known know. He could only hope that he wouldn't give anything away with Kyuhyun coming to their house. 

"Hi," Rin said with a large blush painting her cheeks, "my name's Rin." 

Kyuhyun nodded at her, sending her a small smile. Eunhyuk joined his younger brother in rolling his eyes as Rin's blush deepened. 

"Girls," Len scoffed, earning him a sharp glare from Rin. 

"Shut up, Len. You're an idiot," she snapped. 

Len sputtered, eyes widening before quickly narrowing. "No I'm not! You're the idiot, Rin!" 

"No, you are!"

"Am not!"

"Are so!" 

"Am not!" 

Eunhyuk chuckled as he watched the twins bicker back and forth. From the corner of his eye, he saw that Kyuhyun had an amused look on his face.

"Alright, alright," Eunhyuk said, interrupting their bickering. "You're both idiots, okay? Now let's hurry up and go home. Don't know about you guys, but I could use a snack right about now."

The twins faces lit up at the promise of a snack, and soon the four of them were on the road home, the afternoon sun washing over them.

~~~~

Rin opened up the door to their apartment with a flourish. "Welcome to our apartment, Kyuhyun!" She announced with a wide grin, gesturing for Kyuhyun to enter first. 

Eunhyuk followed after the twins, taking up the rear, and locked the door behind him. He watched Kyuhyun as his eyes scanned their apartment, his facial expressions revealing none of what he was thinking. 

Eunhyuk worried about what Kyuhyun thought about where he lived. He knew it was not nearly as nice as where Kyuhyun lived, but Eunhyuk thought it was a pretty nice apartment as far as apartments went. He didn't really care if Kyuhyun liked the place, but he was just worried it would serve as new fodder to be treased about. Lord knows he has enough ammo against him as it was. 

Sending one last weary glance in Kyuhyuns direction, Eunhyuk entered the kitchen where he grabbed an armful of snack sized bags of chips for them to eat. Walking out into the living room, Eunhyuk saw Kyuhyun seated between the twins on the couch, Rin talking his ear off, while Len ignored them and watched TV. 

"Here you go, guys," he said, throwing a bag of chips each at the twins. "We'll be in my room if you need anything," Eunhyuk added, gesturing for Kyuhyun to follow him.

Walking into his bedroom, Eunhyuk sat on the floor and opened up his backpack, spreading out his science notebook in front of him. He looked up at Kyuhyun to see him learning against the doorframe.

"Are you going to sit?" Eunhyuk asked, gesturing to a spot near him on the floor.

Kyuhyun scoffed. "Like I'm going to sit on the floor." Eunhyuk watched as Kyuhyun walked to his desk and pulled out the chair before sitting on it.

Eunhyuk blinked. "Alright... So for our science fair project I was thinking of testing if music has an affect on plant growth. Do you want to do that one?" 

"I already told you, I don't care what we do it on. Choose whatever you want," Kyuhyun said, frowning at him.

"Oh, right," Eunhyuk murmured. "Alright. The effect of music on plant growth it is."

Kyuhyun grunted, leaning back, his elbows laying on the desk behind him.

"I already have all the supplies we need, so we can start today," Eunhyuk said, getting up from the floor. 

"Great," Kyuhyun said, bored. 

Walking out of the room, Eunhyuk searched around the house, gathering the different supplies they would need. Things like pots, radish seeds, soil, and water filled his arms as he returned to his room. Carefully dumping them onto his bedroom floor, he looked to see Kyuhyun watching him, a bored expression still itched onto his face. Eunhyuk let out a small sigh, knowing he wouldn't be getting any help from Kyuhyun anytime soon, and began setting up their science fair project himself. 15 minutes later saw him gently placing the two flower pots on his bedroom windowsill. 

Standing back, he quietly observed the pots for a moment, his head tilted in thought. "How should we go about having only the one pot being exposed to the music?" Eunhyuk asked.

Kyuhyun shrugged. "You're the one with the scholarship. You figure it out."

Feeling annoyed with the other, Eunhyuk turned back to the pots, thinking quietly for a moment. Suddenly, his eyes lit with an idea and he grabbed one of the pots, the one he had earlier labeled B, and carried it to the living room, placing it on the sill of the window in there instead. His bedroom window and the window in here got roughly the same amount of light, and it was far enough from his bedroom that it wouldn't be effected from the music that would be played. It was perfect.

Smiling happily to himself, Eunhyuk walked back to his bedroom. "Alright. Next we have to write our hypothesis and procedure. I already have the supplies listed. I'll write the procedure. You can write the hypothesis, okay?" 

Met with no objections, Eunhyuk handed a paper and pen to Kyuhyun, who turned around in his seat so that he was facing the desk. Eunhyuk took his own place on the floor, quickly getting to work on the procedure. Once he was finished, he looked up to see Kyuhyun leaning his chin on his palm, his other hand twirling his pencil. Standing up, Eunhyuk walked over to where Kyuhyun sat. "How's the hypothesis going? Are you finished yet?" Eunhyuk asked, peering over Kyuhyuns shoulder. His eyes were met with a blank page. 

Lips pursed, Eunhyuk stared at the paper a moment longer, making sure that the paper was well and truly blank. "Uh, Kyuhyun," Eunhyuk began, "what happened to the hypothesis? Do you need help?" 

"No."

"Oh. Well, you don't have anything written yet, you know."

"I know that," Kyuhyun snapped.

"Well, are you going to?"

"Am I going to what?"

"Are you going to write anything?" Eunhyuk asked.

Kyuhyun slammed the pencil down on the desk. "Stop nagging me!" He shouted, swinging his head around to glare at Eunhyuk.

Eunhyuk stumbled back a few steps, his eyes wide, startled from the sudden loud noise. 

"I don't get why I have to write the hypothesis anyway. You're the one who picked the project, you should be the one writing the hypothesis, not me," Kyuhyun complained. 

"But I wrote the-"

"You know what? I don't have time for this. I need to get home. You finish up all this beginning stuff, alright? Tell me when you're finished the experiment. We'll get together again then," Kyuhyun interrupted. He grabbed his backpack and walked out of the room, leaving Eunhyuk standing dumbfounded behind him. Eunhyuk could hear his little sister yell a goodbye to Kyuhyun before their front door slammed shut. Sagging into the chair Kyuhyun had only recently occupied, Eunhyuk let out a hollow laugh. 

Figures. Even someone he had looked up to and admired the majority of his life used him. And what was worst of all was the fact that Eunhyuk couldn't find it in himself to hold it against Kyuhyun. Even though he hated the fact that Kyuhyun was now one of his bullies, was someone who used him and dumped all the work load on him, Eunhyuk couldn't shake the feeling that made his heart swell and his breath quicken at the sight of him. At the sound of his voice. 

Picking up his pencil, Eunhyuk ignored the tears that dripped down his face. The tears of a man who was hopelessly in love and hating himself for it.