Chapter 2

The Ice Princess

[Sora's POV]

 

  What is he doing here? I stared at Sungyeol with wide eyes.

  He was standing in front of one of the apartments' door with keys in his hand.

 "I guess you're wondering why I am here, right, neighbor?" Sungyeol emphasized the word 'neighbor' as he flashed a smile. I just stared at him strangely. "I'll take that as a 'yes'." He chuckled. "I just moved here from my parents' place. Please take care of me, Sora." His sweet smile almost made me hurl.

  So, now he's my neighbor? . I mentally face-palmed myself.

 "I wasn't really wondering about that." I said in an uninterested tone and pulled the keys from my apartment door's keyhole out.

 "Yes, you were." The pretty faced guy commented with a playful smile. I just rolled my eyes at him and went towards the elevator.

 "I guess we'll start going to school together from now on." Sungyeol said as we got into the elevator. I just decided to ignore him.

  As I was walking to the bus stop, of course, Sungyeol tagged along too, even though I ignored him, my phone started ringing.

  It was my older brother.

 "Yeah?" I said after I pushed the 'answer' button.

 "Hi, my sweet little sister!" Hyunwoo chided.

  Hyunwoo was the complete opposite of me - always happy and chirpy. Sometimes his happiness made my sick.

 "Why are you calling?" I asked in an annoyed tone, because Sungyeol kept poking my side.

 "Why are you not happy to hear my voice?" Hyunwoo faked a hurt voice.

 "Why should I be?"

 "Okay, okay.. You're no fun at all.." My brother sounded l ike a little kid who didn't get his lollipop. "I'm calling to inform you that I won't be able to make it on that day. I'm really, really sorry. " Hyunwoo immediately got serious and I could hear sadness in his voice.

 "Don't beat yourself for it too much. I can go alone." I said understandingly.

 "Where can you go alone?" Sungyeol asked from nowhere as we got on the bus.

 "None of your business." I snapped at him, for sitting next to me on the bus.

 "Did I just hear a guy's voice? Oh! Our little Sora has a boyfriend! Finally! Thank you, God!" Hyunwoo shouted over the receiver, almost making my ears bleed. I could already imagine him doing the happy dance. "But if he lands a finger on you, I'll cut his ding dong off." He threatened while I lightly chuckled.

  He was really overprotective of me, which annoyed the out of me.

 "No, he's not my boyfriend. He's just some annoying guy, who started bothering me since yesterday." I said sternly while Sungyeol was slyly smiling at me.

 "Well, he seem interested in you by the description you gave me." Hyunwoo laughed. Because of that comment, I narrowed my eyes at Sungyeol. He just mouthed 'what'.

 "Enough." I said sternly again, but that only made my older brother laugh louder. "Thanks for informing me. Don't worry, I can go by myself." I said and, after we bid goodbyes to each other, I ended the call. "Can you sit somewhere else?" I asked in sickishly fake sweet voice while stuffing my phone inside of my school blazer's pocket.

 "No, I can't." Sungyeol answered plainly. I looked around the bus - there were lots of empty seats. But, no! He had to sit beside me.

  I rolled my eyes once again and took out my earphones from my backpack.

  Even if I was ignoring him, he still bothered me by poking my side. Ugh..

  While we were walking to the school, Sungyeol's friends dragged him away to somewhere. I mentally thanked them and continued making my way to the school.

  After the 4th period ended, as always, I went to the small park on the school's property.

  I took a seat on one of the benches and listened to music with my earphones plugged in to my phone.

  Suddenly someone poked my right cheek. I turned my head to the right to find Sungyeol's face really close to mine.

 "What are you doing?" I stuttered at the beginning of the sentence while Sungyeol smirked. That's new...

 "Nothing." His smirk vanished and he looked at me innocently.

 "Shouldn't you be having lunch with your friends right now?" I turned away and stared at a little bird on the ground.

 "Yes, but I bailed on them." He bluntly said. I just mmm-ed and enjoyed the spring sun shining on my bare legs.

 "Can I ask you something?" Sungyeol aked after some time of silence.

 "Even if I'd say no, you would still ask me." I said plainly.

 "Yeah, thats true." He lightly laughed. "Why are you so cold towards everyone?" The pretty faced guy's voice turned serious. I looked at him. Sungyeol looked genuinely curious.

 "None of your business." I said in a cold tone.

 "Here you are!" Someone behind shouted. I turned to look at the person who shouted, just to be greeted by four pairs of eyes.

  The four guys, who were looking for Sungyeol, came to us.

 "What are you doing here with the 'Ice Princess'?" A guy with girly voice asked as he looked at me strangely. I rolled my eyes at him and went back to school.

 

[Sungyeol's POV]

 

 "Seriously, why were you with her?" Woohyun asked as we were sitting in the living room in my apartment. All of my friends wanted to visit my new place. Of course I wasn't going to tell them that Sora lives just behind the wall.

 "What? I can't?" I asked innocently.

 "Well... You can, but she's the 'Ice Princess'! How did you approach her?" Sungjong asked amazed.

 "He protected her from some guys at the coffee shop." Sunggyu said as he was flipping through a magazine.

  Sunggyu, Woohyun and me were together at the coffee shop that day.

 "So now you're a knight in a shinning armor?" Howon teased while I just playfully smirked.

 "But, seriously, what's so special about her? You never made the first move in a relationship.." Sungjong looked at me like I grew a second head.

 "She's not like every other girl, that's why I'm interested in her." I smiled mischievously.

 

****

 

  It was Friday.

  Me and my friends were in our last period of the day. It was Math - the subject I most hated.

 "I guess you want to know the results of your tests, that you took 2 days ago." Mr. Choi said as he took out a stack of papers from his desk drawer.

  I heavily sighed as I already knew what grade I got. I always got the lowest grade in the class. Even if I tried to study, I only fell asleep without learning anything.

 "As always, Sora got a 100 on her test." The Math teacher smiled as Sora stood up from her seat and walked over to him. "Good job, Miss Hwang." He gave her the test paper and she went back to her seat without say anything.

 "But not everyone is lucky as Sora. For example, Sungyeol." Mr. Choi said disappointingly as he was looking at me. I got up from my seat and went up to his desk. "Did you study for this test?" The Math teacher asked me. I just kept quiet. "I guess that's a 'no' from looking at your face and your paper." He gave me my test paper. The number '12' was written in a red sharpie in the corner of the test paper. "Don't run out with your friends after the bell, we need to talk." Mr. Choi said sternly and I went back to my seat.

  After that, the Math teacher distributed the rest of the test papers and continued the lesson.

  After the bell rang, I stayed in the classroom like Mr. Choi said. Everyone were already left. Except for Sora - she was taking her time as she packed her things.

 "Miss Hwang, please stay too." The Math teacher said. Ahri just looked at him with a plain look on her face and walked up to me and Mr. Choi.

 "Sungyeol, if you don't want to fail this class, you will need to take another test on the same paragraph we were learning." I sighed again. "You'll need to study your off, because you'll be taking it on Wednesday. But I don't trust you to study by yourself." Mr. Choi said and transferred his gaze from me to Sora, who was standing beside me. "Sora, I want to ask you a favor. Can you tutor Sungyeol?" The Math teacher was looking at Sora, pleading.

  She just plainly nodded her head.

 "Thank you!" Mr. Choi beamed like he was the one who was failing the class. "Please make an effort to study, Sungyeol, or you'll fail this class." He looked at me and said sternly.

 "Yes, I will." I bowed and turned to go out of the classroom, following Sora.

 "Sora!" Mr. Choi called out as Sora was about to open the door of the classroom. Me and her turned to Mr. Choi. "Have you been well? I heard you're working part-time." Why is our Math teacher asking Sora these questions?

 "I'm fine." Sora answered.

 "Are you sure? Living alone can be hard.." Mr. Choi said worryingly. How does he know that Sora lives alone?

 "I'm fine, don't worry." Sora slightly smiled and walked out of the classroom. I looked at Mr. Choi weirdly and walked out too.

 

****

 

 "Sora.." I called out for her as we were together in the elevator of our apartment complex.

 "What?" Sora responded in an annoyed tone while she was looking at her phone.

 "What's your relationship with Mr. Choi?"

 "He's a family friend." She answered blatantly as we got off the elevator.

 "Oh... I see." I nodded to myself.

 "When do you want to start studying?" Sora asked as she unlocked her apartment's door.

 "I don't know..." I scratched my head.

 "Go and change and come to my place. The faster we do this, the better." Sora said and went in.

  After changing to my normal clothes - loose fit skinny jeans and a striped t-shirt, I went out of my apartment.

  I knocked a couple of times on Sora's door. Not long after, she opened the door. She had her hair up in a ponytail and was wearing an over-sized white v-neck and denim shorts.

  I looked at Sora from head to toe. Her legs are so long... I just stood there mentally drooling.

 "Are you coming in or not?" Sora said annoyed, which made me snap out of my trance.

 "Yes.." I stuttered and entered her apartment.

  Her apartment was small. Kitchen, living room, a bedroom and a bathroom.

  But there weren't any pictures anywhere.

 "Did you move here recently?" I asked Sora as I walked around her apartment.

 "No, I moved here 1 and a half years ago." Sora answered from the living room. "Now come here and study!" She shouted.

 "Okay, okay..." I chuckled as I scurried to the living room.

 

****

 

 "You can't even solve this problem?! You're seriously dumb!" Sora yelled at me as we (or should I say, me) were studying. "What do you do during the classes?" Sora asked annoyed.

 "I guess, I sleep..." I said innocently.

 "You're helpless." She hit the back of my head before getting up from the floor, where we were sitting using the coffee table in the living room as our study table, and went to the kitchen. I winced and rubbed my head while pouting.

  She came back with two apples.

 "What are you going to do with those?" I asked as Sora put them on the table.

 "Eat them." She bluntly said after she sat down onthe floor next to me.

  I extended my arm to take one of the apples, but Sora slapped my hand.

 "It's my dinner, so don't touch it." Sora glared at me.

 "That's your dinner?" I looked at the apples on the coffee table and back at her. "No wonder you're so skinny.." I said in a worried tone.

 "I get full fast."

 "I can't believe that you can be full from eating a couple of apples." I mumbled.

 "I don't care." She rolled her eyes. "Let's get back to studying."

 "I don't wanna." I started whining. "It's already 8p.m.."

 "So what?" Sora said uninterested.

 "I'm bored!"

 "Okay, okay.. We'll study tomorrow." She stood up while rolling her eyes and took her books to her bedroom.

 "Let's go out somewhere." I suggested as I followed Sora. After she put her books on her study table and turned to look at me with a scowl.

 "Why are you asking me go with you?" Sora glared at me.

 "Please?" I begged her with puppy eyes.

 "No." She rolled her eyes and made her way out of the bedroom. As she was about to walk past me, I grabbed her hand and went towards the door. "What the hell are you doing?" Sora yelled at me as I was putting on my sneakers.

 "We're going out. Didn't you hear what I said?" I said innocently just to piss her off.

 "Didn't I say no?" She yelled.

 "There's no point in yelling, I'm not going to let you sit alone at home. Now, put on your shoes." I said. At first, Sora tried to pry my hand off hers, but in the end, she went with the flow.

 

****

 

 "Where are we going?" Sora asked as we were walking down the street filled with shops, restaurants, bars and a lot of people. I still was holding her hand, so I wasn't worried about her going astray.

 "We are going to eat." I said as I spotted a restaurant I always went to with my friends.

  After we entered the restaurant, we took a seat next to the window.

  The restaurant wasn't one of those fancy ones, it was just a normal one. There were a lot of younger customers.

 "What would you like to order?" A waiter came to take our orders after we looked at the menus he brought earlier.

 "I don-"

 "We'll get two hamburgers, two cokes and a large amount of French fries." I cut off Sora and after ordering, I playfully stuck out my tongue at Sora. "We came here to eat, so can't just order nothing." I said while Sora rolled her eyes.

 "Here is your food." The waiter placed our orders on our table. But he also left a napkin next to Sara's plate, and winked at her before walking away.

  I took the napkin before Sora could. The waiter wrote his number on it and wrote 'call me'. Is he blind?! He doesn't see that I'm with her?!

 "Call me, my ." I mumbled under my breath and tore the napkin in to pieces.

 "What are you doing?" Sora asked as she looked at me weirdly.

 "Nothing." I smiled briefly. "Let's eat." I said and we dug in our food.

  I would never have thought that she was a 5 year old child when she eats. I chuckled to myself as I saw a little piece of lettuce stuck on Sora's lower lip.

  I leaned over the table and brushed off the piece of lettuce from her lip.

 "Why did you do that?" Sora stuttered at the beginning of the sentence as her cheeks turned light pink.

 "There was some lettuce stuck on your lip." I smiled brightly.

 "Never do that again." Sora glared coldly at me despite her pink cheeks and continued eating her hamburger like an innocent child.

 

****

 

  After we were done with the food, we asked for our bill.

  The waiter brought our bill. But he didn't leave after that.

 "I'll pay." I said as Sora was about to get her wallet out of the bag she grabbed on while putting on her shoes earlier. "The man should pay, not the girl." I smirked as Sora snickered.

 "So... Call me." The waiter said to Sora as we stood up from our seats. Sora briefly glared at me. So you finally figured that out? I just smiled innocently like nothing happened.

 "How about no?" Sora said with her usual poker face. I almost started laughing out loud when I saw the waiter's confident smile vanish. Poof. It vanished just like that.

 "Let's go." I grabbed Sora's hand and, before we exited the restaurant, I smirked at the waiter.

  We walked around the streets in awkward silence.

 "So.." I started. "Are you full now?"

 "I'm more than full." Sora grunted while rubbing her stomach. I chuckled.

  Suddenly, large raindrops started to fall from the sky.

 "Let's go there." I said pointing at a pub.

 "No, let's just go back home." Sora said plainly.

 "But it's raining."

 "You're not sugar - you won't melt." Sora gave me a half smile, but it quickly vanished and her face went back to her usual poker face.

 "Did you just smile?" I asked teasingly.

 "No." Sora answered in an annoyed tone and slapped my arm.

 "Tell me whatever you want. I still saw it." I stuck my tongue out at her while she snickered.

 

****

 

 "Finally.." I sighed after we entered Sora's apartment. We were drenched.

 "Why did you follow me to my apartment?" Sora glared at me, because I left wet footprints while walking to the living room.

 "I left my phone and notebook." I answered as I came out of the living room. "See you tomorrow!" I playfully smiled and exited the apartment.

 

****

 

[Sora's POV]

 

  Ugh.. Kill me.. I groaned as I felt a horrible headache after I just woke up.

  I tried getting up, but my whole body ached. Maybe if I'll get more sleep, I'll feel better.. I closed my eyes and, with a couple of coughs, I fell asleep.

 

****

 

  The annoying doorbell woke me up.

  With a lot of struggling, I got up from the bed and weakly walked to the door.

  I opened the door to see Sungyeol standing in front of me with a big smile on. But that smile vanished when he saw in what condition I was.

 "Are you okay?" Sungyeol asked as he held my shoulders. I managed to nodded my head, but it made really dizzy.

  I felt myself starting to get really wobbly and the darkness took over me.