Chapter 1

The Ice Princess

[Sora's pov]

 

  I woke up from the sound of the alarm clock.

  Another day to go.. I sighed as I ripped off the blanket that was covering my body while swinging my legs to the side of my bed. When my feet touched the cold hardwood floors, I went to the bathroom to get ready for school.

  After I finished getting ready for school, I took my backpack, that was on the floor next to my vanity, and went to the kitchen to get a couple of apples - my breakfast and lunch - from the fridge.

  And while munching on an apple, I made my way out of my apartment to the bus stop.

  It was 7.37a.m when the bus I always took to school came. I took a seat in the far back next to the window and took out my earphones from my backpack.

  Since I was listening to music and eating, I didn't care about my surroundings. So when the bus came to stop next to my school, I finally noticed a guy sitting beside me. He was wearing my school's uniform. Who is he? I never saw him at school..Oh, well, whatever.  I got off the bus and made my way to the school's entrance.

  When I made my way to the school, I went to my locker to get my notepad, that I forgot to bring home the day before.

  While I was standing in front of my locker, squeals and screams almost shattered my ear drums. I turned my bead to look at the entrance of the school and saw a group of seven guys surrounded by a HUGE flock of girls. Ugh.. I rolled my eyes and slammed the door of my locker.

  Those seven guys were really popular in my school. Mainly because of their looks. And they had a lot of fangirls.

  But I wasn't one of them.

  As I was making my way through the screaming crowd, I made an eye contact with the guy from earlier. He was looking at me curiously while I rolled my eyes and continued to push through the crowd.

  As I stepped in my class's classroom, the bell rang. I made my way to my seat, which was next to a window in the back of the classroom.

 "Hey, Ice Princess!" Some girl called me, but I ignored her.

  People nicknamed me 'The Ice Princess', because I always have my poker face on and I ignore every one. It doesn't really matter to me, so they can call me whatever they want.

  I took out the things that I needed for that period from my backpack and the lesson began, because the teacher walked in.

  I was a smart kid, so I didn't find any problems while I studied. And the teachers didn't really mind me, too.

  Oh, did I mention that the group of seven guys from earlier were in my class? It is hell to be in the same class with seven popular guys and their fangirls.

  After the 4th period, it was lunch time.

  I took out the earphones and the remaining apple from my backpack and went to the small park on the school's property.

  I took a seat next to a tree, the trunk of the tree supporting my back, and put on the earphones, which were plugged into my phone, and started munching on the apple while watching the trees' leaves move because of the slight breeze, until the annoying bell rang.

  The day went by without a problem, and after I packed my things in to my backpack and made my way out of the school.

  I wasn't going home, I was going to my part-time job. I was working in a small cozy coffee shop, which was near my school. So it was quite popular.

 "Oh, Sora!" The owner - a middle aged woman - of the coffee shop greeted me as I entered the shop.

 "Hello, Mrs. Kim." I greeted her back with a small smile while slightly bowing.

 "Sungwoo just attended his last customer, so go and change in the staff room and come out to help me. The after school crowd is hard to handle." She sighed and I excused myself and went to the staff room.

 "Hi, Sora." Sungwoo, my coworker, said as I entered the staff room. I glanced at him and went to my locker to get my work clothes - a crisp white long sleeved button-up shirt and black skinny jeans. "Still not talking to me? We have been coworkers for about 10 months.. And why are you so friendly to Mrs. Kim and not me?" He asked cockly.

  I didn't say anything and went to the changing room. "It would be good for you to have friends about the same age as you." Sungwoo continued as I was changing. He was a year older than me. I rolled my eyes and went out of the changing room.

 "Maybe you would get a boyfriend too.. If you haven't noticed, I'm a great catch." He said, confidence dripping from his voice. He had quite good looks, but his douchy attitude was a huge minus.

 "You already ended your shift, so why don't you go out and play with your friends?" I snapped at him as I remembered the time when his childish friends came to pay a visit to Sungwoo. They were rude, obnoxious and overly flirty.

 "Well, I'd rather play with you..." He said as he went closer to me and extended his arm to touch my hair.

  When he touched my hair, I lost it. Because I really hated when someone touched me. I kicked his shin and stepped away from him.

 "If you touch me again with those filthy hands of yours, I'm going to kick higher next time." I warned him while glaring coldly at him as he was grunting in pain and, after taking my apron, went out to help Mrs. Kim with the customers.

 "Oh, finally.. There are three boys at the table next to the window, go and attend them." Mrs. Kim said hurriedly as I came out of the staff room while tying my apron. I took the menus and went to their table.

 "Hello, here are your menus. I will come to take your orders shortly." I said as I placed the menus on their table and, without even looking at them, I went to Mrs. Kim, because she called for me.

 "Did you choose what to order?" I asked after I came back to the guys' table as I took out a little notepad and a pen from the apron's pocket.

 "Two hot chocolates and a glass of grape juice." I looked up from the notepad and saw that the one who was ordering was the guy from that morning. His voice does fit his face...

 "Two hot chocolates and a glass of grape juice." I repeated to be sure I heard right. "I will bring your orders shortly." I said and went to Mrs. Kim at the cash register.

 When their orders were done, I brought them to their table.

 "When you'll need your bill, I'll come around." I said plainly and went to attend the other customers.

 "Sora, you haven't changed since you came to work here 1 year ago." Mrs. Kim lightly chuckled as I stood in front of her annoyed, because the strand of my hair that was tucked behind my ear was falling on my face and I didn't have a hair tie. "Okay go and attend those customers there." She said while pointing at four guys at the table in the corner of the shop. They were wearing school uniforms. More annoying high schoolers.. "Just be careful, it looks like they are delinquents." Mrs. Kim while looking worriedly at me. They had a lot of piercings, their hair were dyed and from their style you could already tell they weren't nerds.

 "Mrs. Kim, don't worry, I'll be alright." I said with a small smile and took the menus and made my way to their table.

 "Hello, here are your menus. I will come to take your orders shortly." I said emotionless.

  I was about to walk away, but someone smacked my .

  I immediately turned around and scowled at the erted sicko.

 "What? You have a nice , baby." The guy smirked as he looked at me from head to toe.

 "Oh, really?" I said in a y tone.

 "Yeah, I would bang that ." He said and dampened his lips with his tongue.

 "Shut your face, you erted microwaved piece of soap." Someone, who stood behind me, said sternly.

  I looked behind me. It was the pretty faced guy from earlier. I looked at him strangely while he just smiled sweetly at me.

 "What's your problem? Can't you see I'm busy here?" The delinquent stood up from his seat and went closer to the pretty faced guy, but the latter didn't seem scared - he was just looking at him with an empty stare.

 "You shouldn't ually harass the staff here."The pretty faced guy said.

 "Don't tell me what I should and shouldn't do." The sicko poked the pretty faced guy's chest with his finger.

 "Hey! Why are you creating ruckus?!" Mrs. Kim came over to us and yelled at the delinquent group. "Get out or I will call the police." Mrs. Kim threatened them and they all scurried out of the coffee shop.

 "Sweetie, are you okay?" Mrs. Kim asked, worriedly scanning my body with her eyes.

 "I'm okay, don't worry." I smiled.

 "Thank you. You're such a good boy." Mrs. Kim turned to the pretty faced guy and patted his shoulder and he smiled kindly in response. "What should I do for you as a thanks?" Mrs. Kim asked.

 "I'll talk about it with her." The guy looked at me and smiled. Why me? I looked at him strangely once again.

 "Okay then." The coffee shop owner walked away, after she winked playfully at me. Seriously, Mrs. Kim?

 After Mrs. Kim walked away, it became awkward between me and the pretty faced guy.

 "So.. My name's Sungyeol." The pretty faced guy extended his hand towards me. I just looked epmtily at him. "Okay then.." He pulled out his phone from the pocket of his pants and pushed some buttons. "Give me your phone number." He extended his hand with the phone towards me.

 "Why should I give you my phone number?" I asked in an uninterested tone.

 "You have to, because you're now indebted to me for protecting you from those guys. And I'll need to contact you when I'll know what I want as a thanks. " Sungyeol answered in a matter-of-fact tone.

 "If you put it that way, I feel bad. Because I hate being indebted to people." I heaved a frustrated sigh and plucked the phone from Sungyeol's hand. "Okay, I'll give it to you."

  When I finished putting in my phone number, I gave him his phone back.

 "Wait! You didn't tell me your name." Sungyeol shouted as I was walking away.

 "I put it in with my phone number." I shouted back without looking at him and went back to work.

 

****

 

 "Bye, Mrs. Kim. I'll see you tomorrow." I bid goodbye to the coffee shop owner after I ended my shift at 7p.m and made my way to the bus stop.

  When I got on the bus, I took a seat next to the wondow in the middle, because the bus was quite full. I was quite lucky that no one sat beside me.

  When I finally got home, I changed to more comfortable clothes - gray sweatpants and a black t-shirt - and started to do my homework.

  It was almost 10p.m, when I finished doing my homework. As I was getting ready for bed, my tummy growled. Oh right... I didn't eat anything today. I thought and went to the kitchen.

  I made some scrambled eggs and went to eat my dinner in my bed while watching TV. 

  While I was eating, my phone, that was on the night stand next to my bed, buzzed indicating that I got a text message. I took my phone and read the message:

  Unknown number: Hey! Are you asleep? This is Sungyeol :)

  I scoffed at the smiley face before turning off my phone and resumed eating my supper.

  When it was around 12a.m, I went to sleep.

 

****

 

  I got up when my annoying alarm clock started ringing.

  I grunted while getting out of the bed and went to do my morning routine.

 "It's you.." Someone said as I was locking the door of my apartment. I looked at my right where the person was standing.

 "I knew it was you." He smiled victoriously as I looked at him wide-eyed.