Chapter 6

The Ice Princess

 

[Sora's POV]

"Why are you here?" I asked the male sternly as I placed the iced americano he ordered on the table in front of him.

"What do you mean? I wanted coffee." Sungyeol blinked up at me innocently. I rolled my eyes and went to tend new customers.

  The whole time I was going around tending customers, a hole in the back of my head was being burned in. I looked back to see Sungyeol staring at me as he sipped on his drink. I glared and mouthed 'what' and the male sent a wink my way in response.

"The hell?" I muttered under my breath while rolling my eyes once again and just decided to keep myself busy with work. I guess my glares don't really work on him..

  I was tidying up as it was time to close the coffee shop. I walked to Sungyeol's table as I noticed he was finished with his drink.

"Take a picture - it'll last longer." I snapped at the male snatching the cup from under his nose.

"Great idea!" Sungyeol exclaimed and reached into his pocket to get his phone making me strike the male on the top of his head with the metal tray in my hand. I then turned around to walk away.

"Ow! I was just joking!" He yelled after me and i turned back to see him clutching his head in pain.

"I know, you sissy." I stuck my tongue out at the boy and legged to the staff room to get changed.

  Done with everything, I took my things and went to Mrs. Kim as she was wiping the counter clean with a cloth.

"Good work today, Sora!" The woman glanced up at me with a smile and wiped her hands off on the apron that was tied around her waist.

"I just wanted to tell you that my school is having this three day, one night camping trip and I won't be able to come to work. Will you be alright, Mrs. Kim?" I looked at the middle-aged lady somewhat guilty.

"Oh, I'll be alright, sweetheart! I have a new employee coming in tomorrow anyways, so it's all good." She smiled at me warmly. Then she looked behind me and I saw her eyes widen.

  I looked back to see Sungyeol waiting at the door. Here it comes...

"Oh, aren't you the nice boy from that incident?" Mrs. Kim asked the boy and the latter nodded in response. She then threw me a knowing looking and a wink. "Make sure my Sora get's home safely!"

"I will, no need to worry!" Sungyeol grinned and sent a wink my way. Ugh.. I felt my stomach churn in disgust.

"Don't let that boy go, I can tell he's a great man." Mrs. Kim leaned in and whispered. "Trust me, I know when I see one." She threw in other wink. Do y'all have rhinitis or what? You two have to get it checked out.

  Not wanting this topic to continue, I bid a goodbye and exited the store with Sungyeol trailing right behind me.

 

****


"Hurry up!" I hissed under my breath as I gripped the handle off my duffle bag, making sure I did not accidentally drop it as I power-walked in the direction of the school's parking lot.

"I'm trying!" Sungyeol said between heavy breaths as he was right behind me, one of his sneakers untied. This morning, Sungyeol overslept and I had to wake him up. 

  We finally arrived at the meet-up spot and basically everyone were there. As the murmurs directed at me and Sungyeol were growing louder, I was getting more and more uncomfortable under the scrutinizing stares, but I kept my poker face on. Sungyeol didn't even seem affected even by his friends' questioning looks and stood beside me, looking at me with a warm smile. You , go away, before any rumors arise. Oh, stupid me, they've already been going around since yesterday.

  Not long after our and the other class' homeroom teachers came around to tell us some more information about the camping trip and taking of attendance followed after.

  So, now we knew the road trip to the camping site would be three hours. Good, gonna to sleep the whole ride.

  Then everyone piled into the buses - two to be exact, since not only our class was going on this trip - and I prayed that no one would sit beside me.

"Yo!" Oh, how I dreaded this situation. I sighed. I took out the earphones from my ears and looked at the black-haired male who stood next to the empty seat next to me.

"Go away." I coldly said, hoping he would just do that. Damn, was God not on my side that day.

"It's an empty seat, can I not sit here?" The boy looked at me with a pout.

"Nope."

"Oi, who's holding up the line? We have to hurry!" A teacher shouted from the front of the bus.

"See? Don't hold up the line, Sora." Sungyeol smirked in victory as I sighed and took my backpack off the seat and the boy sat down beside me. "So, road trip buddy, what are we gonna do during these three hours?" Sungyeol looked at me with a playful glint in his eyes as he seemed very excited. 'Sleep' was my answer and I proceeded to put the earphones back into my ears and leaned back to get more comfortable as I closed my eyes.

  My peace was short-lived because as soon our bus left the school Sungyeol seemed to not be able to sit calmly in his seat.

"Sora?" Sungyeol has been poking my side for five minutes already and my patience is was running thin.

"What the do you want?" I snapped as I ripped out the earphoness out of my ears. It hurt, but I was too annoyed at the person beside me to pay attention to pain.

"Want some Pockey?" Sungyeol grinned, totally unfazed by my outburst, holding the box of chocolate-covered snack out in front of me. I glared at the male, but helped myself to it nonetheless.

"Wanna play Uno?" The male asked as he searched for something in his backpack. He then grinned as he showed me the stack of cards. I didn't have time to say 'no' as he already started to dealt the cards out for us. And I was certain he won't take 'no' for an answer, so whatever.

"You know how to play?" Sungyeol asked as I took seven cards into my hands, organizing them by colors.

"Of course." I rolled my eyes at the male and threw out my first card.

  Let's just say, I killed the game. After seven rounds of Uno, it was seven to zero, of course, me being in the lead. It seemed like luck has come back to my side. Sungyeol was annoyed at how badly he was doing and sat there with a pout as I threw my 'Wild Draw Four' card and easily won another round.

"You're a pro!" Sungyeol exclaimed, more in frustration than excitement.

"Yeah, kinda." I chuckled under my breath.

"But how?" Sungyeol asked as he gathered the cards and after shuffling them a bit, he once again dealt them out. Being stubborn now? Or is your ego hurt?

  "My brother is obsessed with this game and he usually forces me to play it with him, resulting in four hours of complete pain." I explained as we began the round. I had really good cards - mainly 'Wild Draw Four,' 'Reverse' and 'Skip.' This is going to be an easy game.

  I won this round too. And quite quickly I'd say.

"You wanna take a break?" I asked Sungyeol as he sat in front of me with his head down and his arms on either side of his body in utter defeat. Getting no answer - just a pout - I gathered all the cards and put them in Sungyeol's backpack. I then took a Pockey stick and held it in front of the male's eye and he looked at me in surprise. "Truce?"

"Sure!" The boy immediately beamed at me and bit the Pockey stick. He then took it in his hand and smiled stupidly while staring in front of him. Such a kid...
  After about an hour or so being on the bus, majority was already asleep. I was too struggling to keep my eyes open. And soon enough I dozed off.



[Sungyeol's POV]


  I was fiddling around with my phone when I felt a weight drop on my left shoulder. I turned my head to find the girl beside me sleeping on my shoulder, her breaths slow and calm. I smiled to myself as I brought my fingers near Sora's face and brushed a few strands off ebony hair away from her face and tucked it behind her ear.
  Since I had the opportunity, I took a better look at Sora. Long eyelashes, cute nose, and pink, plush lips - she was so beautiful I felt my heart skip a beat. The girl looked so angelic in her sleep, it was a bummer she never let people see the true beauty behind her cold façade.
  My train of thought was interrupted as the mobile device on my lap buzzed. I unlocked the screen and saw there was a new message in the group chat which my friends and I used to chat.

Dongwoo: Yo, who's still alive?

Myungsoo: me

Sungjong: Me

Sungyeol: Me, what's up?

Dongwoo: Sunggyu is sleeping beside me, so I'm really freaking bored!!

Sungjong: Woohyun's down too.

Dongwoo: Sungyeol, man, why did you ditch us tho?

Ho₩on: i was wondering that too tbh

Myungsoo: yeah, you dickhead!! I had to sit with Howon because you didn't show up!! I thought you said you gonna get on my bus and sit with me!!

Sungyeol: Mr. Im said not to scatter around and go on respective buses. It ain't my problem you lost and had to sit with Howon lol and chill with the exclamation marks.


  I wasn't going to tell them I wanted to sit with Sora. No way! If I actually had done that, there would've been World War III.

Ho₩on: u talkin ?

Myungsoo: yeah

Sungjong: Why the heck are you arguing here when you sit next to each other?

Ho₩on: shut up and mind your business, pretty boi

Dongwoo: Howon, don't act like you don't know why before every road trip, we all play 'rock, paper, scissors' behind your back and the loser has to sit with you.

Ho₩on: i in dont, yall just be hatin

Dongwoo: You're the worst tbh

Sungyeol: You're hella messy.

Sungjong: You snore in your sleep too.

Ho₩on: yall gettin on my nerves adios

Sungjong: You need to change that ghetto- way of texting too.

Dongwoo: And what's with the ₩? Can't you just be normal for once?

Ho₩on: yall hatin


  I chuckled to myself, locking my phone. My friends are the best.

 


****


[Sora's POV]


  I started to stir in my slumber as the sunlight was burning my face. I opened an eye and closed the blind to get the sun out of my eyeball. I then snuggled against the warm body beside me.

  Wait...

  WHAT?!?

  I jerked awake and tried to sit upright. But there was a weight on my head. I looked up to find Sungyeol's face toi close to mine. Really, Sora?! You had to fall asleep on his shoulder?! I was annoyed at myself. I then proceeded to push his head to lean against the backrest.

  I sat up and checked the time on my phone. It was 11.14 a.m - that meant we were going to be at the camp site quite soon. I stretched (well, as much as the space let me) since my neck and back were quite sore. Also my right cheek was numb, I figured it was because I was sleeping on Sungyeol's shoulder.

  I looked around to see everyone asleep.

  I then looked at the boy sleeping beside me. He seemed quite uncomfortable, noting he was tall and his legs were lanky, so he had one of them out to trip someone who wanted to get off the bus. Cons of being tall..

  Sungyeol stired and shifted in his sleep and soon woke up.

"You're awake already?" The male asked with a somwhat teasing smille, his voice husky and laced with tiredness.

"Y-Yeah.." I stuttered as I realized I probably fell asleep on Sungyeol's shoulder while he was still awake. Dammit, I'm not gonna hear the end of this..

"Are we there yet?" The boy asked stretching his long, lanky limbs, his arm dropping on my shoulders.

"N-Not quite yet." I let out quietly, confused, as Sungyeol brought me closer to him.

"So, you up for a rematch?" Sungyeol beamed in confidence. "I feel energized and I think I could finally win!" He exclaimed with a fist in the air.

"Sure, sure." I laughed quietly and took Sungyeol arm off my shoulders as he reached into his backpack.

"I'm gonna win this time!" The male declared as he dealt out the cards.

  Okay, I might have just let him win this round. I didn't want to be a cold-blooded and ruin Sungyeol's good mood and trample on his ego. So I just gave my victory away.

"YES!!! HOORAY! VICTORY! I WON!!!" Sungyeol shouted, waking up a few students and they threw dirty looks at him for disturbing their beauty sleep.

"Yes, you finally did it." I clapped slowly, gathering the cards, so the overexcited boy beside me wouldn't  sweep them off on to the floor and make a mess while he's doing his little celebratory dance. "Wanna play again?" I asked shuffling the cards.

  The boy stopped and looked at me, as if he was seriously contemplating the offer. "No." He said.
"Why?" I was sure he was going to want to play, since he now had the courage to win. But his answer ended up confusing me.

"Because, I reckon you'll win again and I'm going to keep my pride in this one and only victory against the pro of Uno." Sungyeol proudly said, comically holding his hand ovee his chest while looking into distance. I chuckled at my given title.

"Okay then." I patted his shoulder and put the cards back into his backpack.



 





  Hello!

  Sorry for not updating in such a long time. A lot of happened - bad and good - and I just couldn't get back to writing for the life of me. Even the beginning off this chapter was hard to write since I haven't written for so long. But I got usedd to it andd found why actually love writing so much, so I'm writing up some more chapters for you.

  This chapter is considerably shorter, since is just, let's say, a filler one. The next ones are goig to be a lot longer.

  As for when I'm going to updated again is unknown, my interest has been an for more than a week now, so even updating now was a pain in the arse.

  The funny thing about this chapter is that Uno game. My mom is actually obsessed with the game and makes me play with her, usually in the evenings or just over some drinks. And the 'seven losses' thing happen just a few days ago to me, so I was just inspired to write a scene like that lol

  As you read, there's going to be a new character revealed soon, but gotta finish this 'camping trip' first. And I'm going to reveal the poster for this story then, too, so I'm really ing excited!!!

  And now for the shameless promo!

  Follow me: 
  Instagram: uu.gne
  Snapchat: ugnes_sweetass  (nice user name, rite?)
  
  Okay, gotta go now! Bye loves! ♡♡♡