Chapter 4

The Ice Princess

[Sora's POV]

 

  Sungyeol didn't bother me for a whole week.

  But it doesn't mean that he really didn't bother me. Everyday, Sungyeol kept leaving an energy candy bar or a cupcake on my desk or in my locker. Well, he didn't leave a note saying that those sweets were from him, but I was convinced they were from Sungyeol. Who else would do things like that?

  As much as I hated Sungyeol bothering me, I still ate those sweets in delight. I wasn't going to reject something I really love.

  It was Friday and it was lunch break. I was, as usual, sitting on a bench in the small park on the school's property munching on a red velvet cupcake that was left by Sungyeol.

  Suddenly, I heard something move in the bush behind me.

  What the hell? I turned around and I heard quiet cursing.

 "You've got to be kidding me." I said out loud as I knew who was behind the bush. "Come out." I said in a demanding tone and Sungyeol obeyed, and came out from behind of the bush with a guilty look on his face. "I thought I heard dirt moving around in the shape of an idiot. So it was you?" I commented still eating the cupcake.

  Sungyeol didn't say anything and just smiled.

 "I thought you would throw all of them away.." Sungyeol said softly and sat beside me, even though I didn't give him permission to do that.

 "Why would I?" I asked after finishing the cupcake. Sungyeol shrugged his shoulders and wiped the corner of my lip with his finger. There was a bit of icing and sprinkles from the cupcake on my lip. I started blushing and looked away when Sungyeol off the icing on his finger. For a moment, my heart skipped a beat.

 "Let's go!" Sungyeol rushed me when we heard the bell ring.

  I don't get myself.. I thought as I was walking down the hall and was looking at Sungyeol's back. What the hell is wrong with me? I placed my hand on my chest and sighed in frustration.

 

****

 

 "Do you have any plans this weekend?" Sungyeol asked as we were in the elevator going up to the floor where our apartments were.

 "Are you making fun of me?" I turned to look at Sungyeol with a dirty look on my face. "I have no friends, so how could I have made plans for the weekend?"

 "I wasn't implying that- Wait, you mean you don't think of me as a friend?" Sungyeol looked hurt. And, for some reason, I felt guilty.

 "No, that's not what I meant!" Even I was surprised by my sudden outburst. But Sungyeol was more happy than surprised and it started to irritate me when the guy started to tease me.

 "So I'm your friend?" He kept poking my side.

 "Shut up!" I said and looked away to hide my tomato red face.

 

****

 

[Author's POV]

 

  It was a gloomy Saturday morning.

  It matched Sora's mood.

  She was already up at 9a.m and done with her morning routine.

  Sora was getting ready to go somewhere and was locking the door of her apartment, when Sungyeol bolted out of his apartment.

  Sora looked at him with wide eyes, as she was startled. Sungyeol looked Sora up and down.

 "Where are you going?" Sungyeol tried his best to ask with a bright smile after seeing Sora dressed all black.

 "Somewhere." Sora said in a cold tone and turned to go to the elevator.

  Sungyeol was curious about where she was going, so he decided to go after her.

  Sora took a bus and, after getting off, she went to a flower shop. Sungyeol waited for her, his sweater hood covering his eyes, so if Sora noticed him, she wouldn't recognize him.

  Sungyeol saw her coming out of the shop with a bouquet of lilies, then she walked away and so did Sungyeol.

  When Sungyeol realized where Sora was going, he got worried.

  Sora stopped for a while in front of the cemetery gates. Sungyeol stopped too and acted like he got a text, in case Sora looked back. When he saw Sora enter through the cemetery gates, he followed after.

  Sora walked through rows of gravestones, then stopped by a particular one.

  Sungyeol was standing behind Sora at a distance which he could hear her talk clearly.

 "Mom, dad... Hello.." Sora said and placed the bouquet of lilies next to the gravestone.

  Mom?! Dad?! Her parents are deceased?! I thought she was just living alone, I didn't think she didn't have parents.. Sungyeol felt ashamed.

 "Today's the anniversary of your death.." Sora sighed. "Have you been well? Hyunwoo couldn't make it this year, you know, work and stuff. But I'm sure he'll visit you once he comes back from Hong Kong." Sora was talking as her parents were in front of her, safe and sound. "I've been quite well. But some guy, who happens to be my neighbor, started bothering me."

  She's talking about me? Sungyeol asked in his head.

 "He's really annoying, but I don't think he'll stop bothering me.." Sungyeol could see her roll her eyes.

  You're totally right, I won't stop. Sungyeol chuckled to himself.

 "I miss you a lot." Sora said, her tone unstable. "And so does Hyunwoo. He acts strong in front of me so he won't worry me, but I know how sad he is."

  Sungyeol knew Sora was crying, because she sniffed from time to time as she talked. Sungyeol wanted to go to console Sora, but he stayed rooted in the spot.

 "I'm so sorry, it's all because of me.. If I hadn't been arguing with you in the car, maybe now we all would be happy and celebrating your birthday, mom.." Sora crouched down and held her head in her hands. "It's all because of me.." She kept saying that over and over again.

  Sungyeol shifted his feet as he was contemplating on going to Sora. But as he did that, his foot stepped on a twig.

  Sora froze in the spot. After a few seconds she stood up and turned around.

 "H-How long have you been standing there?" Sora asked as she looked at Sungyeol with blood shot eyes.

 "I've been here the whole time.." Sungyeol said quietly and walked to Sora.

 "Y-You heard everything?" Sora asked as tears kept rolling down her cheeks.

 "Yes." Sungyeol answered honestly and brought his arms around Sora. "I'm here for you." Sungyeol whispered as he Sora's hair, while she cried into his sweater.