Chapter 5

The Ice Princess

 

[Sungyeol's POV]

 

  Sora and I sat on a bench in a nearby park. Neither one of us said anything. Sora had calmed down but her eyes were puffy and red.

 "My parents died in a car accident two years ago." Sora said quietly and I turned to look at her. "My parents and I were driving back from my aunt's place in Daegu. I remember I was angry about something, probably something stupid, and was arguing with my parents. I said really harsh and mean things to them. My mom who was the one behind the wheel was too focused on our argument to notice that she had driven out of her lane to the opposite lane." She watched a mother and a little girl play on the grass in front of her as her voice wavered and cracked. I wanted to hug her and console her, but I decided it was best for her to continue telling her story.

 "And our car collided with a truck. Since I was sitting in the back I survived with mare bruises and scratches. At the collision I out as I hit my head against the car window and only woke up in the hospital with my older brother crying beside me. He avoided my questions about our parents as he tried to calm down. After pleading and pleading for him to tell me what happened, he finally said it. Our parents passed away." Sora covered her face as she wept.

  I couldn't stand watching her suffer any longer and brought my arms around her and her hair.

 "If it's too painful, you don't need to tell me the whole story." I whispered as Sora clutched the back of my hoodie.

 "After that I moved away from our home. I couldn't stay there; every time I passed my parents' room I felt unbearable guilt. Towards them and my brother. He said that it's not my fault countless times, but how can I not be at fault? We lost our parents because of me!" I never thought Sora could have gone through so much pain. And was still blaming herself. "Hyunwoo got a scholarship in a university in Hong Kong, so he moved there. And I was left here alone; no relatives, no friends, no one."

 "But now you have me." I said quietly as I noticed an old couple looking at me and Sora with pity.

  Sora's weeping abruptly stopped and she pulled away from me.

 "You're no longer alone." I wiped the tears on her cheeks with my thumbs while she looked at me with wide and red from crying eyes. "I'll always be there for you." I smiled at her and wrapped my arms around her again.

  Sora then continued to cry out all the tears that were still left.

 

****

 

 "Go take a hot shower while I make something to eat, okay?" I looked back at Sora who stood behind me as I unlocked the door of her apartment wiith the keys I found in her leather backpack. Sora didn't say anything, but went straight to the shower after entering the apartment nonetheless.

  I went to the kitchen to see what Sora had in her fridge. Finding absolutely nothing, I made a quick visit of my own apartment and brought back things I needed for the mac and cheese I planned on cooking.

  When I was done with the task, I went to inform Sora.

 "Food's ready!" I knocked on the bathroom door three times and went back to the kitchen. I heard Sora exit the bathroom as I placed the plates of food on the small kitchen table.

  Sora walked into the kitchen with slow, quiet steps, her slippers giving away her appearance.

 "I hope you don't mind me using your kitchen?" I said over my shoulder as I poured water in two glasses and brought them to the table, placing one in front of Sora and one in front of me. Then we both sat down at the table. "Dig in!" I smiled at Sora who stared at her plate.

  Sora had changed into a new pair of sweatpants and a sweatshirt, her hair was wet from the shower.

  She took the fork that lied on the table, and caught some macaroni and placed it in . I watched silently as Sora slowly chewed.

 "How is it?" I asked, curious if my cooking was tasty. But instead of giving an answer, Sora grabbed herself some more cheesy macaroni and continued eating. Content with her reaction, I too dug in.

 

****

 

  After we finished eating our food, I got up and started tidying the kitchen table and the counter that got dirty from my cooking.

  Sora stood in the middle of the kitchen and I felt her eyes following me as I gathered all the dishes I needed to do in the sink.

 "Now go and take a nap. You'll feel a lot better after." I commanded. Sora didn't want obey me, so I put my hands on her shoulders, turned her around and pushed her towards the bedroom.

  I sat Sora down on her bed and told her to lay down. When she just stared at me with a frown, I pushed her down on the bed and covered her with the blankets.

 "Sleep tight!" I smiled at Sora as I tucked her in.

  I then walked towards the bedroom door to go back to the kitchen to clean up.

 "Thank you." A small voice stopped me. I turned around to see Sora quickly pulling up the covers over her head.

 "You're welcome." I smiled to myself and went out of the bedroom, quietly closing the door behind me.

 

****

 

[Sora's POV]

 

  After opening my eyes, I was greeted by darkness and a pounding headache.

  I looked at the clock that was on my bedside table. 09.17p.m. That was a long nap.

  I ripped the blankets off myself and got up from the bed. I decided to check if Sungyeol was still in the apartment. I doubt that... He probably went to his own apartment after I fell asleep.

  The hardwood floor was cold against my bare feet as I slowly made my way to the door, telling myself to not expect anything.

  I opened the door to see the TV in the living room on. I took slow steps towards the couch. As I stood right next to the couch, I saw Sungyeol laying on the couch - sleeping. He had his head propped up on the palm of his hand, his elbow on one of the pillows.

  Why didn't he leave? I stared at Sungyeol. I couldn't understand him; his concern for me.

  Sungyeol's head started slipping off his palm and he jerked awake. He blinked hard a couple of times and rubbed his eyes. He then stretched his arms above his head and threw his head back in a yawn. The male then looked around, his eyes landing on me.

 "Oh, Sora, you're awake!" He exclaimed and rose up from the couch. "How was your nap?" He asked as he stepped in front of me and fixed my hair a little. I must have looked like a mess.

 "G-Good..." I stuttered as I averted my eyes to the side.

 "Great! Are you hungry?" Sungyeol asked as he stepped around me and to the kitchen.

 "Why didn't you go home?" I asked quietly as I leaned against the archway. Sungyeol stopped in the middle of the kitchen.

 "I did." He turned around to look at me with an innocent expression.

 "So why did you come back?"

 "To make you dinner and tomorrow's breakfast since I was at it." Sungyeol shrugged his shoulders.

  What did I do to deserve a person to take care of me like this? I stared at Sungyeol, my forehead creased in confusion. I killed my parents!

 "What is it? Is something wrong?" Sungyeol asked, his face full of worry.

  Why are you so good to me?

 "You have a headache, am I right?" Sungyeol asked and grabbed my hand to gently pull me to sit at the kitchen table.

  He then grabbed a cup and filled it with water, and handed me it.

 "You have to rehydrate your body after crying, Sora." Sungyeol took my hands and wrapped them around the cup. His hands were warm unlike my cold ones. I didn't have the energy to refuse.

 "Good girl!" Sungyeol smiled at me while patting my head. "Now, would you like some orange chicken?" He asked while taking my cup to place it on the kitchen counter.

  And at that moment my stomach growled loudly. Sungyeol looked back at me in surprise as my eyes widened.

 "I'll take that as a 'yes'." Sungyeol laughed and turned to the stove to heat up the pan that was placed on it. I smiled as I watched him.

 

****

 

  I stirred as the annoying doorbell rung.

 "Who the hell is it?" I grumbled under my breath as I got up. "Coming!" I yelled out, finishing with a yawn, as the ringing didn't stop.

  I unlocked the door and swung it open to see Sungyeol standing there.

 "What are you still doing in your pajamas, Sora?" The male's question made me frown as I leaned against the door I was holding with my eyes closed. "You're going to be late to school!"

 It's Monday?! My eyes peeled open in shock and Sungyeol laughed at me.

 "Oh, my God!" i slapped a hand over my mouth that was agape and immediately ran back to my bedroom to gather my stuff and went to quickly wash up.

  Done with that, I put on my school uniform and combed my hair. I then scrambled to put my sneakers on.

 "I put the breakfast in this container-" Sungyeol entered my bedroom and raised the container in the air. "So it it for lunch."

 "What breakfast?" I asked as i hopped around the room with only one sneaker on, trying to find the other.

 "I made some sandwiches and also put some sliced apples and grapes in." Sungyeol picked up my backpack to stuff the box with food in. I muttered a 'thanks', still hopping around.

 "Where in the hell is the other shoe?!" I yelled in frustration.

  Sungyeol walked out of the room only to come back moments after.

 "Here." Sungyeol chuckled and placed the other sneaker in front of me.

  I finally put the second sneaker on, got my backpack and phone and Sungyeol and I quickly made our way to the bus stop.

  But, God wasn't on our side that morning; we missed the bus by whole ten minutes.

 "The next bus only comes in thirteen minutes." I sighed in frustration. "We're going to be so late!" I yelled after checking my phone to see it was 7.57a.m.

  At the same time, Sungyeol was watching me stomp in frustration with amusement, laughing to himself while sitting on the bench.

 "What are you laughing at?" I yelled while staring at him incredulously.

 "You're too cute." Sungyeol nonchalantly smiled at me.

  His remark flustered me and I didn't know what to say. The male laughed again as I looked away in hopes to hide my red cheeks.

 "By the way, it's not that bad to be late." Sungyeol commented calmly.

 "Maybe it's not that bad for a person who is always late." I scoffed at Sungyeol.

 "For your information, I've been coming to school on time for a few weeks now." Sungyeol's lips formed a pout as he informed me.

 "Whatever." I rolled my eyes and looked away to hide my smile.

  And while Sungyeol and I bickered, the bus came.

  When we walked past the school gates, we saw that there was no one there - everyone were already sitting in their respective classes.

 "We're so freaking late!" I whispered as Sungyeol and I were walking down the hallway.

 "It's your fault for sleeping in!" The male whispered back.

 "I know that!" I slapped his arm as I glared at him. "You've notified me six times already!"

  We reached our classroom and just stood in front of the door.

 "You go first." I elbowed Sungyeol's side, still whispering.

 "Why? You go first!" Sungyeol said a little too loudly and I slapped my hand over his mouth.

 "You ing idiot!" I hissed after pulling that giant to my level. "They'll hear us!" Sungyeol just glared at me.

  The door suddenly slid open and we turned to look at our English teacher who had a look of annoyance spread all over his face. I hastily peeled my hand of Sungyeol's mouth and the latter straightened.

 "It's already bad that you are late, but you're also disturbing the class?" Mr. Shin asked in a stern voice. Sungyeol and I bowed in an apology and went straight to our seats, followed by whispers and pointing fingers.

 "What was Sungyeol doing with the Ice Princess?" A girl with bleached blonde hair said to her seat-mate.

 "How could he stoop so low?" She looked me up and down with a judging stare. "I mean, there is definitely prettier girls in our class." She flipped some hair of her shoulder with her manicured hand.

  Coming from a girl with a face caked up with tons of make-up. I snorted to myself as I took my English textbook out of my backpack.

 

****

 

  The last class of the day was homeroom.

 "Okay, I have an announcement to make!" Mr. Im, our homeroom teacher, banged his fist on the table to get the students' attention. "We're going on a three days one night camping trip!" He announced happily.

  The class roared in cheers, except a few girls who complained about being among bugs and nature in general.

 "But you won't just play around!" Mr. Im silenced the classroom. "You'll be competing in various events - like canoeing, dinner making and other events. You all will be staying at cabins. I'll give you more information when we'll be there. We're leaving tomorrow at nine a.m. You have to gather at the school gates." Our homeroom teacher clapped his hands and excited the classroom after informing us that the homeroom was over.

 "Are you excited about the camping trip?" Sungyeol caught up with me as I was walking out of the classroom.

 "No." I said flatly.

 "Why? It sounds like it's gonna be so much fun!" Sungyeol exclaimed beside me and I shot him a look.

 "It's such a bother." I heaved a sigh as Sungyeol stared at me with discontent.