Farm Boy 2

Farm Boy

Jin Ah


After 30 minutes of pushing while the others slash corns off their stalks, Jin Ah and Sol walked back to the shaded area/rest area. Mr. Nam was working on his tractor a few yards away. “Did you get anything good?” Jin Ah asked Sol as she gently place the barrow down.

“No, they’re all too small,” she complained. “My mom’s going to lecture me about my skin. Ugh, too much sun,” Her blunt comments made Jin Ah let out a short chuckle.

“We’re not the only ones here,” Jin Ah suddenly said. “I saw a guy a while ago,”

“Maybe a worker,”

“Maybe,”

“You girls are done already?” Jin Ah spun around, surprised by the sudden approach. Mr. Nam wiped the sweat on his neck before sitting down. Jin Ah felt she gave off a bad impression. Maybe he thinks she’s a true city girl who can’t work. She’s really not like that though. It’s just, the outfit she chose for today limit her ability to do much. She mentally made a promise to herself to work harder next time she comes here…if she’ll ever come back.” My wife is making dinner right now. Would you like to help her instead? Besides I don’t think farm work is suited for girls. You girls shouldn’t do such heavy work,” Mr. Nam stood up after receiving their short nods. He began to lead the way.

Behind the cucumber were carrots, then after the carrots was a field of flowers. All different sorts, some were new to Jin Ah and the awed Sol. They arrived at the brown and white house that blended in with the woods in the back. “Go straight down the hall and turn left, that’s where the kitchen is. I’ll tell your aunt where you guys are,”

“Thank you! I’m excited to cook with these fresh veggies,” Sol can cook. She had taste and flavor while Jin Ah lack the ability to cook and her taste buds are dull. She’ll create another bad impression but this time it’ll be from Mr. Nam’s wife, Jin Ah thought.

Dark wooden flooring welcomed them as they step through the front door. The interior surprised them with an elegant look compared to the earthy-farm look from the exterior. “Whoa~” the two of them mouthed as they walk deeper down the hall. The entire house was lit with bright white lights, makes a person want to open their eyes even wider to see every detail in this house. As they got closer to the kitchen they heard clinging of pots and pans. The sizzling of something being fried and the aroma made their feet walk a little faster.

Kitchen:

“Hello?” Jin Ah said over the sound of the cooking food. A small woman stood up behind the island in the middle.

“Omo, are you those girls that came to pick corn today?” The lady’s voice was warm and motherly. The two of them nodded. They introduced themselves again before helping.

10 minutes later, Jin Ah received a text from her aunt.

Aunt (7:30): Work came up. I have to go home. I’m leaving Jea with you okay? After dinner remember to say your thanks and help with the dishes.

Jin Ah showed Sol the text. “You can go home with her since your mom’s telling you to come back,” Sol’s mother texted her a few minutes earlier asking her to come back home, but Sol didn’t want to be burdensome to Jin Ah.

“Mrs. Nam I think I have to go, thanks for having me here,” Sol told the lady who was busy stirring something in the pot. “Have fun okay? Text me,” Sol said before leaving the house. Jin Ah heaved a big sigh as she began to set the long polished table. This day couldn’t get any worse. Her best friend left her and she has to look after Jae. She felt her frustration building up.

Dining table:

 The front door opened. Mr. Nam was talking to someone. Who could it be? The person from before? For some reason Jin Ah was nervous. She looked at the floor; her long hair hid the sides of her face. She quickly finishes setting before fast walking back to the kitchen.

“You worked very hard today Jae,” Jin Ah heard from the kitchen. Oh so that’s who Mr. Nam was talking to, Jin Ah thought. Mrs. Nam carried several side dishes on one tray and left one thing for Jin Ah to carry, chapchae (Korean stir fried glass noodles).

“Aigoo aigoo, look at your faces. You guys must’ve worked hard,” Mrs. Nam’s voice trailed off in the other room. Jin Ah was concentrated in the dish she was carrying; she didn’t notice the extra pair of eyes. His eyes followed her as soon as she steps into the room. She placed the dish in the center before looking up. Their eyes made contact. It’s him, she thought, the farm boy.