Chapter 13

Second Chance

 

“Hey…Uh sorry was that too rude grabbing you so sudden from behind” Chan Yeol exclaimed as he lean on one of the railing in there while the younger decided to sit on the swing.

“No it’s fine…so what do you wanted to talk about?”

Chan Yeol swallowed hard trying to recall the questions he prepared for Jong In, he breathes in before lowering his head “Do you really love Joon Myeon?”

Jong In was surprised to hear it, he was silent for a minute before he tighten his grip on the swing “wasn’t it obvious….hyung?” he added hyung in the end so he wouldn’t sound so cold.

He heard Chan Yeol chuckle from behind “the Jong In I know was different from the Jong In I am talking to right now”

Jong In just stared blankly at him “Funny right? I was just being protective to Joon Myeon when you got to hurt her that’s why I’ve been rude to you but I am actually kind hyung” he muttered before he turned away and started to swing “I just hated it when I got to see her hurt”

“Yeah…I know…” Chan Yeol played a rock on his shoe “that’s why I was there to ask for forgiveness, I hope it doesn’t bother you at all to see me whenever you visit Joon Myeon?”

“A bit jealous but I got used to it…but I still hate you”

Chan Yeol laughs again, not loud but there was bitterness “do me a favor will you?”

“Hmm?”

This time Chan Yeol stand straight taking a final look at him “I’ll be leaving tomorrow…I guess my part is already done here” he swallowed hard while the teen just keep on looking at him curiously “I’ve made my promised to never show at her again…”

And a silence was reign “so?”

“I know he deserves better, better than she knows it would be and I think that guy was you…so always take good care of her, okay?”

“I’ll definitely will do that” he answered firmly.

“Yeah…I know you can love her much more the way I do…I still hadn’t asked if she already had forgiven me but tell him I did try my best” he laughs again this time he felt like he got choke on his last word as tears were forming on his eyes “I’ll definitely would miss her”

“It’s because you’re dumb”

“I know…dumbest person ever…I don’t want to let her go but I guessed it’s too late now…I wish you two the best”

 

 

After his conversation with Jong In, Chan Yeol immediately went home and packed his things. He looks for the time on his watch, 5 minutes before midnight and yet he doesn’t have the guts to sleep. He wanted to spend the last few hours awake on the Kim’s household before he could permanently leave and not to see her ever again.

 

After packing, he walked directly at Joon Myeon’s room and sat on his bed and again facing her back, he gently fix her blanket and pull it near her neck so she wouldn’t feel cold on the October breeze, it’s getting colder and Christmas is coming. It should have been his and Joon Myeon’s first Christmas together as husband and wife but he knows it will never ever happen this time or not anymore.

“Hey…” voice cracked from crying “I sound so doom” he chuckles fakely “it’s my last night in here already. I will leave tomorrow afternoon, I was just gonna tell you my last and sincere apology” he then look at his finger where the ring was placed and rubs it gently “we’re gonna divorce soon and I was just hoping you would stop it so we could go back again together….” he took a glance at Joon Myeon’s face “but you’re so special that you don’t deserve to be with someone like me…maybe this is the way God had plan for me to have my lesson…and I—I ---I regret it Joon Myeon! I do!!!” soon his tears were coming from his eyes already and he tried himself not to make noise “I don’t- I don’t want to go! I don’t want to leave you! 1 month wasn’t enough and it hurts me! It hurts me every time I think I had to leave you and let you go soon…but hey…Jong In’s a lucky guy and you would be so lucky to have him. That kid loves you so much, I know he can protect you and take good care of you. So please always be happy… you will never got to see me anymore in here…but I still wanted to thank you” he stands abruptly wiping his tears “thank you for the short time being with me…and I hope Jin Yeol had forgiven me also. I love you” he places a quick kiss on Joon Myeon’s forehead before leaving the room.

Joon Myeon had opened her eyes and stares blankly at the wall, she bit her lower lip and clutch her blanket trying to suppress the emotions she was feeling after she had heard Chan Yeol’s confession, why does he need to confess to her every night? Why?

 

 

“Noona? Where are you I was waiting here for almost an hour aren’t you going to fetch me???” Chan Yeol asked with a furrowed eyebrow through the phone, the girl on the other line laugh.

“Geeezz, calm down ‘saeng I’m coming”

And soon as he ended up the call was for him to realize that there was ball landed in front of him with a curious kid looking attentively at his baggage.

“Where you going?” he asked all of a sudden and tilted his head to meet the guy’s gaze.

“Going home”

“You’re leaving??”’

Chan Yeol crouches to make the same height with the kid and ruffles his hair chuckling “I’m going home I don’t really live here”

“Where??” he asked again as he pick the ball on Chan Yeol’s side.

“Seoul”

“Oh…it’s far from here, right?”

“Not really”

Then the kid frowned at him “I was gonna play with you and invite you to come in our house mom cooked something”

“Oh yeah…I couldn’t anymore but we could use my last minute to play?”

The kid shakes his head “did I gave you head ache yesterday that’s why you’re leaving? I promise I would be good boy now”

“Hey Hyun you’re a good kid, it’s just that I need to—“

“Chan Yeol you forgot something in your oh—“ Mrs. Kim had stop abruptly when she saw the kid, she gave the bracelet to Chan Yeol who the guy gladly took it and bows at her “hey Jin Hyun nice to see you”

The kid look at Mrs. Kim innocently and didn’t spoke before he look back again at Chan Yeol “are you really gonna leave? I would play alone this time? Aren’t you going back anymore?”

Chan Yeol opened his mouth but no words came out, he looked at Mrs. Kim nervously looking for an answer to the kid’s question “I---“ he can’t think of an answer  and just gave the bracelet “here take my bracelet” he put the bracelet on the kid’s small hand and adjust the lock so it won’t slip.

“I don’t need this” the kid wails trying to remove the bracelet.

“Hey! Look this bracelet is very important to me—I’ll be back I promise I trust you so I’m giving this to you…“

HONK! HONK!

Chan Yeol got disturb by the honk of a car, it’s probably his sister and so he talked to the kid explaining everything as fast as he could “I will be back just promise me you won’t lose it, okay?”

The kid suddenly sniffs when Mrs. Kim held his shoulder so Chan Yeol could carry his bags on the car already.

 Yura came on smiling to Mrs. Kim before she helps carry Chan Yeol’s back pack “Thank you for watching out my brother Mrs. Kim” the girl bows “and oh! Please tell Joon Myeon to call me sometimes”

Mrs. Kim nodded while rubbing the kid’s shoulder who is sobbing already “hey buddy don’t cry” he wipe the kid’s tears with his thumb before he face Mrs. Kim “Mrs. Kim thank you so much for the time”

“I’m sorry Joon Myeon could not face you this time and sorry for my husband’s rudeness”

“I understand Mrs. Kim” he smiles, it was hard to say goodbye, it was hard to control himself not to cry in front of Mrs. Kim “please tell her that I’m going now” he bows for the last time and took a glance on the window of Joon Myeon’s room.

“Hey Hyun I’m going now please take care of yourself okay? I’ll try to call you” and for the last time he thanked Mrs. Kim again before turning around.

The kid wails from crying calling him “daddy Yeol!”

 

 

 

 

“This is it. A new life Yeol. I think you lost….I’m sorry I did try my best to asked Mr. Kim to make you stay there for another month but he…didn’t let me” she wasn’t surprise anymore when she didn’t heard an answer but a silent cry. She take a glance at him who were burying his face on his left hand “Hey Chan Yeol…it’s okay”

Before they could go back to his apartment they didn’t forget to stop by at his mom and son’s grave.

Not until Chan Yeol arrived that he didn’t stop from crying, he went straightly to his room to see that Joon Myeon’s things weren’t there already.

“I cleaned it all. Change everything. Mr. Kim went here yesterday to take all Joon Myeon’s things”

 

 

“Hey honey aren’t you going to eat your lunch?” Mrs. Kim asked towards her locked door, she was dumbly leaning on his door afraid that someone might open it. She suddenly felt an emptiness in her heart. She was confused, she shouldn’t be feeling it. Why does it feels like there is clenching in her heart? Why does she felt like she had left?

‘I know….he wouldn’t do it. I know he would call me I know him’ she thought staring blankly at her phone but didn’t know this would be the start, that things would change from before.

 

 

It was almost 1 week since Chan Yeol had left their house. Joon Myeon was confused at why still Chan Yeol hadn’t called her even just to ask if she had already forgiven him.

That’s why she never forgets to always bring her phone anywhere.

She was at the mall with Kyung Soo, Luhan, Xiumin and with their guys including Jong In of course, she didn’t hesitated when they invited her to shop in Seoul. She might get bump into him, maybe?

“Hey look!! Let’s buy some necklace” Xiumin pointed out at newly opened jewelry store, she got dragged by her while she looked at Jong In, the guy just nodded as if telling her she could go with her.

“Oh…they are all so beautiful” Xiumin’s eyes almost glowed at the jewelries displayed in front of them. Suddenly Jong Dae went beside her girlfriend asking if she had already picked something.

While Kyung Soo and Baek Hyun went at the other corner looking for some rings, she was happily looking at Xiumin when something had caught her attention, a necklace.

The necklace. It was the same as the necklace….the necklace Chan Yeol had given to her. It was place in a box near the saleslady. She went nearer so he could see clearly if it was really the same, the saleslady smiled at her.

“Hello ma’am? Interested with this newly release necklace?”

“I-uh…”

“You saw something? Wanna buy it?” Jong In asked behind her which makes her flinched but her eyes won’t leave the necklace.

The saleslady took the necklace she was looking at from its box and showed it at them.

“Oh that’s a beautiful necklace. Are there any color of the pendant?” Jong In asked while checking the necklace.

The saleslady shakes his head “sorry sir but this is the only color, actually this was from China and it’s a limited necklace, was just release yesterday in here since many couples are buying it” she smiles at them again “Some says it was a lucky charm necklace but the one who made it says it was made really to give for someone special”

“Oh…” Jong In muttered surprised at what he heard. Joon Myeon was a silent for a little while before she tug Jong In’s arm to see on the other jewelries but the guy ignored her “why couples? Isn’t it it’s only for only one?”

“Actually sir it’s the necklace only but there’s this one costumer from China who requested to make a bracelet that was the same as this necklace, so the owner got that idea, anyone who would buy this necklace could make a request for a bracelet”

“So where’s the bracelet can I see?”

The saleslady chuckles “it’s only for the one who requested sir but it was the same as this necklace” and she smiles ending her talking.

“Oh” Jong In furrowed his eyebrow “but the necklace was great, that man was great to request for a bracelet”

Joon Myeon saw that Jong In’s been interested on the necklace and so she tug his arm again.

“I think there are still some necklaces better than that? I don’t really like the design, come on Jong In let’s look for the others.”

 

 

“Sir Chan Yeol your sister was on the other line, are you going to ans—“

“Tell her later I’m really busy” Chan Yeol motioned his secretary to go out since he was busy checking some papers, reports for the conference, papers of their meetings, rates, schedules and others whom he had left unfinished when he went to the Kim household, somehow he manage to turn his attention to his work than thinking on how he would let go of Joon Myeon.

He would firmly stand on his promise not to show at Joon Myeon, he had cried for the whole week on his apartment, this time he needs to finish his business now since his business with Joon Myeon had come to an end already and he needs some other things to be done also.

Guess his mom was right, time wasted cannot turn back anymore, on how wished his mom was here, to help him, to comfort him. He was tired at everything, really tired he doesn’t know how he can still work calmly though, is it because he was afraid that he might lose his father’s trust with him? He will never let that thing happen.

Then there was a ringing on the phone again, the ticking of the clock, the papers he cannot sort anymore, the headache is back again, thinking of her makes him nauseous, makes him dizzy, makes him weak.

“I don’t know what to do anymore, mom….please, help me” he grips his hair and weakly lean on his table, why does he need to experience all this unnecessary things?

“I’m tired already”

“Never give up Yeol…dumb you, I said you need to rest, look at yourself you’re almost staying here for the whole two weeks finishing the papers”

Chan Yeol sobs out of sudden “I’m tired noona, I can’t take it anymore…but I dint want dad to lose his trust on me”

“You’ve done enough”

“No—I want mom right now….I want to see her”

Yura made an apologetic look at his brother and rubs his shoulder “It’s okay…I’m sure dad would never feel that way in you”

Chan Yeol just nodded “about the divorce, when will be the exact termination?”

“It may either approved before or after December, I don’t know it depends Yeol”

“No chances to get back?”

Yura shakes her head “Time to let her go Yeol…it’s time”

Chan Yeol cries even more.

“It’s time…you can do it”

He nodded repeatedly “Even if I don’t want to, I guess I really need to do it”

 

 

It’s almost three weeks, and Joon Myeon and Jong In’s relationship’s been getting better for what she thinks, Jong In even becomes livelier. He went to Kim’s household as soon as his classes had ended in the afternoon, and left the Kim’s at 9. Her father even loves to see him in there visiting her, although he still felt awkward towards Mrs. Kim.

But it was almost three weeks that Chan Yeol really hadn’t showed, hadn’t called and yet she felt like she missed something, the one who get flowers and put it on her vase every morning, the creative and delicious cookies, the funny sneezes, his dumb grin, his every night confession, his stupid stealing glances on her, she missed his s---

“Joon Myeon?” Jong In asked waving his hand in front of her face “hey? Am I invisible?”

She was out of her reverie when she felt a hand on her shoulder; Jong In was looking at her confusedly “Are you okay?”

She nodded “Yeah, I am…”

 

 

“Mom? Can I ask you something?”

Mrs. Kim turns her head to see her face after she had finished cooking their dinner “Sure honey, what is it?”

After they had went on the living room and sat on the comfy couch, Joon Myeon was uncomfortable on her seat and she can’t utter out her question, she felt like her voice were gonna tremble when she spoke “ab—about the papers for our divorce with Chan Yeol…did he just signed it already?”

“Oh….yeah, I merely forgot yes he does and the court was already been looking after it already”

She swallowed hard and nodded dumbly, was she really ready to leave him?

 

 

“I see, so Chan Yeol had already left?” Kyung Soo asked while sipping her drink.

Joon Myeon nodded, it was just the four of them, the other four guys decided to go back since Jong In and SeHun needs to finish for what they were saying like project, Baek Hyun needs to help his father at their office while Jong Dae needs to manage his own bake shop.

“So, did you forgive him already?” Joon Myeon shakes her head.

“What?? So he just left like nothing?”

“I don’t know…I’m still confused what should I really do?”

Luhan stops from eating and look at Joon Myeon “let me asked you a question” she bit his lower lip trying to look away ignoring her friends’ gaze on her “Do you….really love Jong In or what?

She suddenly had become silent, what should she answer? Should she say yes? Does she? Does she really love Jong In? Was she ready to fully forget Chan Yeol and let Jong In enter onto her life? How could she love back Jong In if Chan Yeol keeps on showing to her? She gaped at Luhan.

“I don’t know…maybe I do”

“Then you must forget about Chan Yeol and just think about you and Jong In” Luhan said with assurance while she rubs Joon Myeon’s back.

Kyung Soo looked at her with sadden expression before she smiles bitterly eating silently for the whole time.