Chapter 12

Second Chance

That was the day when Joon Myeon decided to visit Jin Yeol’s grave holding the flowers she had pick from her mom’s garden. While waiting for Jong In to fetch her, she saw Chan Yeol on the farm picking the strawberries and blueberries alone.

 

“Oh I miss my baby, for how many weeks I didn’t visited him” Joon Myeon muttered eagerly as he tug Jong In towards his grave “I want you to meet him”

Jong In just smiles letting the girl tug him forward and soon as they arrive to the place, Joon Myeon stopped abruptly looking confused on the grave.

“Someone’s been visiting him, so many flowers in there almost died already” Jong In says and then he crouched in front of the grave “oh look! Someone even put a lunch box”

Joon Myeon placed the flowers beside the tulip flower on the grave, the grave was clean, no leaves scattered above it, flowers surrounding the grave does this mean that someone—Chan Yeol—No! It mustn’t be him, it must be Yura or Kyung Soo or it can either be Xiumin and Luhan. She took the lunch box and opened it which makes her look even more surprised.

“Oh cookies!” Jong In pointed and took a peek on the cookies “still fresh look. Oh that person should have love art, the designs were amazing though”

Joon Myeon swallowed and looked at her watch she shouldn’t be wrong, they went there early but this person even visit the grave earlier? How that—why too early? She put back the box on the ground and smiles at Jong In so he wouldn’t notice her thinking of him again.

“I’m sure Jin Yeol was too happy to see you here visiting him”

Jong In laughs “You’re on verge of crying again…”

“No am not” she pouted towards him.

“Yes you are…” he pinched Joon Myeon’s nose lightly and gave her a sweet smile “just let it out Myeon…it will help you feel better”

Joon Myeon nodded while tears are forming her eyes “I missed him”

 

 

 

“Achoo!” Chan Yeol sneezes for the third time that afternoon, preparing for meal. He sighs with scrunched face looking around to see if ever there’s a fury friend around, he look below the table, cabinet, living room and storage room but he sees nothing.

He rubs his now red nose and continued on chopping the vegetables “Achoooo!”

Luckily Mrs. Kim notice him sneezing after she had entered the house “something’s wrong Chan Yeol?”

“I uh—I nink I’ve got an an allergy alreany, do you have some pets here Mrs. Kim?” he asked as he gives up on chopping the vegetables and decided to wash his hands and face.

Mrs. Kim look around confusedly and then saw a fury dog covered with blanket on the couch, she let out a desperate sigh and turn to Chan Yeol “you’re allergic to pets?” she stopped to wait for Chan Yeol’s answer “Sorry, Byul came home this night he used live with Joon Myeon’s sister though but she was busy that’s why Mr. Byul needs to stay here”

Chan Yeol just dumbly nodded “It’s okay I’ll just used mask”

Mrs. Kim chuckles and went near him “you can probably go back to your room and get some med I’ll just continue this. Don’t say no or else I let you die sneezing here”

 

 

Joon Myeon went home feeling a bit weary but Jong In’s company make her feel calm and glad. She entered the house walking so silent, she roam around to see nothing. She was about to walk upstairs when he heard a groan from the storage room near the staircase.

“On no…no..no..please get out not Mr.-i-don’t-ACHOO!—I mean Mr-ACHOO!!”

She was surprised to hear a loud bark that sounds so familiar from the room “Byul??” so he is talking to her dog?

“Yes, I am allergic, so kindly please get out now? I’m sorry I can’t hang out with you—ACHOO! Really, I uh…oh no my nose is getting itchy now and my skin is having—ACHOO!-blemishes”

Joon Myeon chuckles after hearing another sneezes from Chan Yeol. He knows how naughty her Byul is and probably it’s a good thing to just let Byul stay inside that room as Chan Yeol’s punishment.

She made two steps upstairs when she heard him speak again.

“No!—ACHOO! Please I’m begging you don’t play with ACHOO!!!—those papers doggy—ACHOO! I need it for my report”

She shakes her head feeling guilty, she’s a kind hearted person and giving a little help with her so called husband won’t be that bad.

She opens the door to see Chan Yeol and Byul facing each other, the edge of the paper on Byul’s mouth and him tugging the other edge of it.

She didn’t greeted him and just proceed on calling the dog.

“Byul, come here”

The dog let the paper slip out of its mouth and bark at her.

“Good dog, now stay in my room? Understand?”

Chan Yeol sighs calmly after he let out a number of sneezes again, Joon Myeon followed the dog as soon as it went out and she was about to closed the door when her ear didn’t fail to hear the word ‘thank you’ from him. She just nodded and smiles at him halfly before she left.

 

 

She leans on her door and sighs in disbelief; she looks at her dog when Byul kept on staring at her with his head fall as if it was curious on what she is doing.

“Bad bad dog! You’re thinking of something aren’t you?” she crouched and point at the dog’s face with a mad tone, the dog bark at her once. Later on, she was now petting the head of her dog “I don’t know Byul, I‘m confused. Should I? Should I give him a chance??”

 

Chan Yeol ended up being wrapped by thick jacket and pants after he had his check up, to cover up the blemishes on his body. Thanks to his loving sister who keeps on giving him accompany.

But of course he wouldn’t forget to visit his mom and his son’s grave.

 

Later that night, after he had just finish up the paper works on his business that needs to be passed tomorrow, he decided to go check up on Joon Myeon’s room before he decided to finish up the things he really need to do including of course the papers on their divorced.

 

This time Joon Myeon was facing the lamp on her left side leaving a big space on the right portion of her bed. Chan Yeol leans on the doorframe looking at her silently, he heave a deep sigh and rub his sleepy eye.

He went near the girl’s bed and decided to sit on her bed since he was facing her back.

“Hey” he started in his usual low voice to not wake the girl up, she might get misunderstood him and says she was doing something on her and might end up blaming doing a ual harassment to her every night that would worsen the situation, “I guess it’s better for me to talk to you while you’re sleeping since we never have the time to talk formally” and then he laughs bitterly trying to suppress his emotion “you know what I only have five days to go before leaving you…..forever” the last word he had said was too hard to say, too hard to let go “and yet were still not okay”

He then fixed her blanket pulling it up until her neck and got up from the bed “I really want you to come back to me…I want Joon Myeon. But I think it won’t happen again” and here he was crying in her room again, too shame for a guy like him to let go of a girl he doesn’t deserve to be with “I know you don’t deserve a guy like me, I’m sorry”

As soon as the figure left the room, was the time for Joon Myeon to clutch her blanket and bit her lower lip looking dumbly at nothing “Why? I don’t understand.”

 

 

Chan Yeol was busy watering the plants in the afternoon taking a glimpse with a bit of jealousy at Joon Myeon and Jong In who were sitting together beside the garden.

“He’s looking at us” Jong In said nodding at Chan Yeol who were peeking through the plants but no used coz Jong In can clearly saw him. Joon Myeon turns and looked at his direction.

“Never mind him” she shrugs and smiles at the youngster.

“Okay…So how ‘bout be my date at my 18 birthday next month? I’ll be on the legal age now, maybe…You can already accept me as your boyfriend and so I could get ready on my proposal to you soon” he said in a teasing manner, Joon Myeon pouted slightly before letting out a laugh and knock the guy’s shoulder.

“Funny Kai! Funny!”

“Hey!” Jong In smiles at him with a surprised expression.

“What???”

“You had just called me Kai!!!” Jong In said again and gave her a quick hug “that means you’re back. The real you is back!!!”

“You’re such a cute dongsaeng” she said with her soft chuckles and pinch Jong In’s cheek but soon realized she blurted out a wrong word and soon take it back “uhh—I mean guy”

Jong In felt a bit disappointment hearing the word ‘dongsaeng’ that clearly states that Joon Myeon still treat him like a little brother but he hide it with his silly laugh “soon to be your boyfriend” he winks at her and waggled his eyebrow that earns a blushed on the girl’s cheek.

“Oh, need to go now. Class starts soon. Bye. Take care of yourself okay?” Jong In sling his back pack on his shoulder and manage to get up “I-I-I love…you” he landed a kiss on her cheek purposely and ran away looking away so embarrass.

 

Chan Yeol groans in annoyance letting the water drown the plants; he’s not noticing he’s been watering them for an hour only just to peek on the lovey dovey of the two. He just manage to feel lighten when the younger left and slowly bows at him when he walk passed by him. So alarming, since when did this kid becomes respectful towards him?

Joon Myeon looked at her but she managed to turn around quickly pretending that she was looking at the plants when he had caught her looking.

 

 

Suddenly a ball landed in front of him, he somehow manage to stop the hose and was about to start cleaning. He looked to where it came from to see a kid maybe from four to five year old looking at him towards the gate that was opened.

He picked up the ball and walked near the kid and gave it. The kid gladly accepts and smiles at him.

“Thank you daddy”

Chan Yeol merely laughs when the kid called him daddy he ruffles the kid’s hair “I am not your daddy kid, but you’re welcome”

“But mom said anyone can be my daddy as long as he was a good and kind man and…handsome” the kid tilted again to see him and even blinks repeatedly “you’re really tall”

Chan Yeol smiles at the kid “you’ll be taller when you grew up”

“Like you?”

Chan Yeol nodded “Yep. So what’s your name then?”

“My name is—“

“Jin Hyun I said not to go out in—“ the woman about mid twenties dressed in a suit got stop when she saw him, she bows at him before tugging the kid’s arm “I’m sorry mister, this kid is totally naughty”

“No it’s okay”

The woman smile again before she turns her attention to her son “just stay in our house and wait for me until I go back! I said not to go out alone! Now go back!!!”

“I’m bored being all alone! I hate our neighbors they only get to see me when I need to eat. I’m bored being alone!” the kid wails at his mom before he got tug by his mom.

“No! You need to, now just please understand honey? Mom is really busy. So stay in there!!!”

The kid looks at him with a sadden expression asking for help. Looking at the kid like a kicked puppy makes his heart soften, those pout, he can’t resist them and he gave the kid a sympathetic look before decided to help the kid.

“Uh wait!!” the woman had stopped and look at him “if you want” he went nearer the two “I can take a look for your son today”

“Really??” the kid asked excitedly, he’s on his happy expression again.

“No need mister, I can—“

“Please, I promised not to harm your son. You see there’s a rumor in here that I was kinda a bad guy but but… I assure this time it’s not”

The woman smiles at him “I don’t actually believe those rumors Mr. Park”

“You-you know me?”

The woman smiles and look at her son “Now behave, okay? I’ll let you stay with Mr. Park but promise me one thing?”

The kid nodded “what?”

“Never give him a headache okay?”

The kid nodded again before his mom kissed his forehead after that he went near Chan Yeol and hug his long legs and tilted his head to see him with an amazement expression, the kid was really happy.

“I’m actually one of your new employees Mr. Park”

“I—uh oh…Sorry I didn’t recognize you”

“It’s okay Mr. Park, it’s not actually you need to know me though” the older female laughs “I need to go. Thanks for this”

 

 

“Daddy let’s play with my ball” the kid said while they held hands walking to where the Kim’s household.

“I told you I am not your dad”

“Fine!” the kid pouted cutely “I’ll just call you oppa”

Chan Yeol chuckles at him “Oppa are for girls, you should call me hyung”

“Hyung?” he asked in curiosity “It sounds so horrible”

“You’re such a wit. Want some snacks?”

“Yey! Yey! Food!” the kid throw the ball away and clap his hands hearing the word snacks “are we gonna make some?”

 

 

They were about to enter when the kid has saw something that’d caught his attention “Look! Look its Joon Myeon”

“Yeah?” he asked confusedly as the kid points to where Joon Myeon was sitting at, busy on checking a potted plant. He widens his eyes when the kid ran towards her.

Chan Yeol saw the kid and tugs Joon Myeon’s dress “Mommy”

Joon Myeon laughs and turns around when she saw the kid.

“Jin Hyun! It’s great to see you, ready for a jogging tomorrow?”

The kid shakes his head “We are making food, join us” he pointed to Chan Yeol who had just arrived on time. Joon Myeon take a glimpse at him before she gave the kid a warm smile.

“I can’t baby, I’m busy”

“So that means it’s just the two of us?”

“I’m sure Yo-Yeol was busy too he have so many works to do” even saying Chan Yeol’s name was hard to utter.

The kid grimaced and looks at him with an awful look “I’ll just go home then…I’ll just play alone. Bye”

Chan Yeol grasped and tried to reach for the kid’s hand to stop him but the kid gave him a frown and took his ball “liar, you are busy too! You are all busy! I hate you!” and he ran away that fast.

“Hey…Jin Hyun wait. She was just kidding, I am not bu—hey!!” he tried to run after the kid. Joon Myeon who had saw it left dumbfounded. She swallowed so hard, it was her fault, it was her fault on why the kid is having tantrums already. Oh no! That kid has a big fond of her too and she just let the kid throw a tantrum to an innocent Chan Yeol.

As soon as she regains her thoughts, she decided to follow the two; she needs to apologize to the kid as soon as possible.

 

“Jin Hyun!!! Please come out now” Chan Yeol shouted to the kid after he saw that he run towards the play ground “Jin Hyun!!!!”

Luckily the ball of the kid had fall to the ground and Chan yeol had almost knock his head out, how come he doesn’t look up? The kid was looking down at him with a bit of smug face, eyes almost teary.

“Come on Jin come down there”

The kid shakes his head and rubs his teary eye “leave me alone!”

“I won’t, we are still gonna make some snacks remember?”

The kid blinks at him innocently before pouting again “no you’re fooling me. Mom—Joon Myeon said you were busy!!”

Chan Yeol let out a smile “you know sometimes your mommy loves to joke at you, I’m sure she was worried on you now. So let’s go back?”

Joon Myeon nearly fainted running from their house that fast until on the play ground where he heard the kid’s shouts. She was worried at how suddenly the kid ran away and if something happens to him that would be her fault. Luckily she saw them clearly and they were okay but for some reason the kid was on a tree. How on earth did he climb in there? She furrowed her eyebrow looking at the two, Jin Hyun was almost shouting at Chan Yeol but the guy was still calm and looking worried at the kid. She stays like that watching the two like a father and son trying to argue on something while the over protective father was waiting to catch the kid if ever he’d fall on the tree.

Chan Yeol loves kids and she knows it that’s why probably he accepted to be Jin’s playmate. She sighs before walking near the two; she wears her sweetest smile at Jin.

“Hey there you are! I’ve been looking for you” she said in a sweetest voice trying to catch the kid’s attention.

Chan Yeol just nodded and wasn’t surprised to see her since he was concentrating on how he could let the kid get down that tree “Come on Jin, don’t let dad worry about you too much”

“But-but---“

“We weren’t busy! I was just kidding, see? I even followed you here cause were going to have a little trip, how was that???” she invited the kid throwing her hands up to let the kid get down the tree “Get down there now baby”

“Promise?? We are going to have a trip?” he scratches his head still on doubt.

“We weren’t if you’re not getting down in there” Chan Yeol answered back and went to pick his ball.

“Okay, okay!” he said finally which let Joon Myeon to breath peacefully.

“Oh careful” Chan Yeol muttered following the kid’s movement until it appears to them that the tree has some simple staircase made actually for kids “oh smart kid”

As soon as the kid stepped his feet on the grass, Chan Yeol ruffles his hair again “you worry me too much don’t ever do that again, okay?”

Jin Hyun nodded and looks at Joon Myeon so sudden and holds her hand with his small fingers “mom? Do you hate me? I’m a bad kid right?”

Joon Myeon replied him with her smiles and crouch to face the kid “I will never hate you. You’re such a cute kid to hate”

“Then that means were going together on a trip????????”

 

And the ending, the three of them walked until to the town to let the kid fulfill that ‘trip’ she was talking to. Chan Yeol didn’t hesitated and just smiles at her nodding.

They let the kid be on their middle holding both of their hands swaying it happily while they walked. Although for Joon Myeon it makes her feel a little bit awkward.

“I’m so happy” Jin Hyun muttered and squeeze Joon Myeon’s hand, the both adult look at him curiously “I have my mom and dad. That means were complete, right?”

“Uh..haha..Yeah” Chan Yeol laughs sheepishly at the kid.

“It’s my first time to hang out with a mom and dad” he smiles again making him show his little dimple on his left cheek “I envy those kids before who have complete family but now is no-no! Cause I have you”

Joon Myeon smiles calmly trying not to meet Chan Yeol’s gazed and fixes the kid’s hair “are you sure you okay walking until in there?”

Jin Hyun nodded cheerfully “it’s our trip”

Chan Yeol rubs the kid’s back to check if he’s sweating “tell me when you’re tired and I’ll carry you okay?”

 

The two adults couldn’t help but went to the amusement park to let the kid enjoy from walking and running, they didn’t have hard time taking care of him but Joon Myeon can’t help but feel uncomfortable when the people around them keeps on glancing at them, they probably thought they were a cute family. So she made an excuse to find a comfort room and left the two beside a hotdog stand.

She sighs heavily looking at the two not far away from her on her hideout.

 

“Daddy Yeol can we take a picture?”

Chan Yeol lowered his head to look at the kid who were holding his hand “We can take picture now? Where do you wanna pose?”

“No! I want mommy Joon Myeon with us”

“But…”

“I can wait” the kid looks up and gave the tall guy a sweet smile “I’m so happy I got to hang out with you”

Chan Yeol manages to smile back but with bitterness.

 

It’s almost 20 minutes had passed and Joon Myeon still hadn’t comeback which they didn’t know she was planning to left already, I mean who would love to be with a guy who had hurt you many times? With a person you wanted to forget? The person you wanted to erase out of your life?

She heave a deep sigh feeling guilt all over her, she take a last look before deciding what to do.

 

The kid was all bored and frowning but steadied himself looking around to see if Joon Myeon was over there just walking around.

Chan Yeol clears his throat and carry the kid placing him on his neck “I guess she umm had left already you know she can have a magic sometimes” he tease trying to ease the disappointment on the kid’s face “but don’t worry we could see her when we go home, what about buying some toys want that?”

He didn’t saw how the kid shakes his head placing his tiny hands on his hair “I’m hungry”

“Okay” he responded and started walking “let’s see some place where we can eat and take some photo how was that buddy?”

“But I still wan—“

“Chan Yeol!!!!” suddenly a voice called them at the back; Chan Yeol was a bit surprised and turns his back to see Joon Myeon looking at them nervously.

“Mom!!!” Jin Hyun squeals “I thought you were not coming back”

Joon Myeon bit her lips with guilt; she tilted to look at Chan Yeol who were trying to calm the kid happily from moving.

 

 

“It’s so delicious” Jin Hyun said as he squirms in his seat “thank you”

“Just eat anything you want okay?” Joon Myeon patted his head gently.

“Daddy Yeol let’s take a picture”

“Okay” Chan Yeol exclaimed taking his phone out of his pocket, he was about to take a photo with the two when the kid wails “no! The three of us”

And the ending they asked for the waiter to take a picture with the three, with Yeol thanking the waiter after and with Jin Hyun chatting happily with Joon Myeon.

 

 

The two, Chan Yeol and Joon Myeon gets a bit awkward sometimes when Jin Hyun asked them why they weren’t talking with each other often and they answered they were not just used to it. The kid was surprised to see those couples who were kissing which make them nearly fainted when he asked on why they are doing it.

“I—uhh...it’s because they love each other that’s why” Joon Myoen answered as she took a sit on the bench.

“Do you two hate each other?” he asked again.

Joon Myeon tilted and their eyes met but she was the first one to break it though and let the kid seat on her lap “no…we’re uhh friends right?”

Chan Yeol nodded to agree but the next question of the kid left them even more surprised “then if you don’t hate each other, means you love each other then” he pause and look at Joon Myeon curiously “then why aren’t you kissing?”

In order to save both of them although inside of the mind of Chan Yeol that he really wants to kissed Joon Myeon, he cleared his throat and changed up the subject “Hey what about going back now? Your mom should have been looking for you already” Chan Yeol ruffled his hair after the kid decided to move again and walk beside him.

“Ummm! Okay!” he whispered teasingly and offered to walk first.

“You aren’t tired?” Chan Yeol shout at the kid before he look at Joon Myeon “come on let’s go” and he didn’t waited for her when she just look at him coldly “Jin Hyun I’m coming for you!!!!”

She sighs, pretending to be cold around him was a bit tiring, and she was out of her reverie when she heard a squeal of a kid and a growling of a man, to see Chan Yeol catching Jin Hyun who was running away from him. A smile showed on her lips without her noticing, following the two who were running, the scene was so perfect. She had once wished to have this kind of family.

 

The kid was tired for their called trip and ended up sleeping on Chan Yeol’s arms, carrying the kid. They were walking home silently, just the sound of Joon Myeon’s phone that beeps sometimes.

“Hey…” he called to get Joon Myeon’s attention “thanks for today I enjoyed it”

Joon Myeon pocketed her phone before clearing “no need to thank me I did it for Jin Hyun”

Chan Yeol who had heard it just remained silent feeling a pain through those cold answers he got from Joon Myeon, but he tried to smile anyway.

 

 

After they had given back Jin Hyun to his mom, the kid waves at them sleepily before they left. They were about to enter the gate when they got to see Jong In waiting in there. Joon Myeon was surprised to see him. They met gazes but the younger was the first one to look away and greet Joon Myeon.

He excused himself before he entered the house going through to his room.

“This is the end I think” he sighs before he take a look around “a month has end and I need to leave now” he placed his hands on his hips looking at his things only then to hear a bark of a dog through the open door. He turns around and the dog waggles his tail excitedly when he saw him but the dog was a bit faraway as if he knows he needs to make a distance with him.

“Smart dog” he smiles “I’m sorry but I can’t play with you”

 

 

He had ended calling his sister that time and was about to enter the house when he suddenly heard a door clicking open to see Jong In bowing in front of Joon Myeon and Mrs. Kim.

“Thanks Mrs. Kim, Joon Myeon need to go” the girl waves her hand muttering a soft goodbye before closing the door.

The teen was all smile hands on his pocket when suddenly someone had grab his hand from behind.

He was about to tug his hand back to see Chan Yeol looking intensely at him before asking “Can we talk?”

 

The two decided to talk along on the playground, far away from the Kim household. Now Chan Yeol can now do what he had planned a few days ago without any disturbance.