four

Say Something

Dara lay awake in her bed and studied the ceiling.

She couldn't believe it had come to this.

It had been four months since she and Seunghyun had officially agreed that their marriage was over.

And yet here they were. Back in the same bed. Their marital bed. A bed they hadn't shared in four months.

Dara breathed in and exhaled deeply. She desperately wanted to turn her body to face her husband- ex husband?- but she resisted.

He was lying still on the opposite edge of the bed but Dara knew he was still awake.

"Seunghyun? Are you awake?" she whispered quietly anyway.

"Yes." He answered back softly.

Her hands clenched into fists by her side. "When are you going to tell them?"

He didn't reply for a moment before wearily giving his answer. "I don't know. I'm sorry- I know this is an imposition."

Out of the corner of her eye, Dara saw him rub a hand down his tired face.

She swallowed the lump that had formed in . She opened to tell him that it was no problem but stopped when she realised how pathetic that would sound.

She knew the reasons behind his hesitations to tell their parents about their break up. His mom was still recovering from pneumonia and such a shock would hinder her recovery.

And Dara still loved her mother-in-law and Hyeyoon. Enough to pretend that she and Seunghyun were still the happy couple they'd once been when they had unexpectedly come to spend the weekend.

However it didn't mean that her heart wasn't being torn to shreds every time Seunghyun looked at her or addressed her in a loving tone.

She pushed the thoughts away. He was just acting. Playing his part. She would do well to remember that.

"I haven't heard any word from Mr. Kang," she said, referring to the lawyer who would be representing her during the amicable proceedings.

"I haven't filed for divorce yet."

Dara froze in shock before she forced herself to unclench her stiff body so Seunghyun wouldn't see the effect his words had on her.

It had been four months since he'd moved out. For the first time in over a year, Dara found herself truly hating him. Hating him for purposely lengthening out the whole ordeal.

What was he waiting for? He was the one who didn't love her anymore; surely he couldn't wait to be a free man again? His cow of a leading lady was probably counting down the seconds until she could sink her claws into him.

Maybe he was having second thoughts?

"I'll send the papers on Monday."

Oh…

The fresh hit of rejection had her turning away from him. Closing her eyes, she held back the stray tears.

"It shouldn't take long to complete the proceedings," he continued and Dara felt like slapping his mouth shut. "There aren't any problems with dividing up the major assets and no children to complicate things."

Her stomach cramped at the missed opportunities. A child. Seunghyun's child. A child she had yearned for dreadfully. A child that she would never have.

Seunghyun continued speaking in a deadened tone. "It won't take long before the press hears about us. I'll arrange some extra security for you and the house for a few months, until the worst is over."

Dara pressed her left ear hard into the pillow so his words would be muffled slightly.

She wanted to scream out loud until her lungs burst and stung.

A few months until the worst was over? A few months until people stopped caring about their divorce? How fickle the vultures were.

Dara felt like it would take her years to get used to Seunghyun not being in her life.

These last few months had been hell on Earth. How was she supposed to face a lifetime without him?

"Once I've found a permanent place to stay I'll send for my things. Anything that we've bought together you can ke-"

"I'm tired," Dara gasped out. The words were heavy with pain that she instantly regretted showing.

"Dara—" Seunghyun began in a soft hesitant voice that had her hurting even more.

She didn't want him to care about her. She needed to hate him. It was the only way she would get through this.

"Go to sleep, Seunghyun," she managed to choke out.

"We should talk—"

"Please... Just go to sleep."

She heard him sigh heavily before he too, turned away from her.

Dara didn't slip into sleep. Neither did her husband.

The two lay awake throughout the night, one crying silent tears and the other wishing he could caress them away.


word count: 781