Chapter Five: A Little Competition

A New Healing Start

It’s been a couple of weeks since I’m here and my days are all the same and I don’t know enough about Seoul to walk around. My brother and the group had a loaded schedule so I didn’t see much of them and so I spend most of my time alone in the dorm. It’s funny to think that miss home but when I really think about it, it’s not home that I miss but California. I really miss surfing and the beach where you can skateboard without disturbing people and having them look at you at the way you dress. I just wish I can clear my head and surf. I tired of always being in the dorm especially when nobody is there. It’s decided! I will go outside and have fun even if my brother or the other members are not okay with it, it’s not like they will be home soon. I go change and extra thing in my bags in in case I need it. I make sure to have at least two water bottles that I put in a thermos to keep it cold and I take my board after putting my shoes on. I have not forgotten to leave a note for others if they arrive before I come back. I lock the door behind me and I decided to take the stairs to go down. I finally get out and I take a deep breath of fresh air before smiling and I leave on my skateboard. I have not forgotten to put my headphones on my ears and I am walking in skateboard to the beat of the music. I easily avoid passenger and I decided to go to a park where I heard there was a skate park. I'm surprised a lot of people and I am curious advance. I discovered that there is a skateboard tournaments and I smile with a taste participate. I walked over to the tent for registration and I asked if the girls can participate since I do not know the restrictions of tournaments.

"I would like to register," I tell them. "It does not cause any problems?"

"If it does not bother you to be that girl, I cannot stop you," he said. "By cons, it is mandatory to have a helmet and full protection. There is also a registration fee. "

"I have everything in my bag to him," I said.

I fill the sheet and he’s surprised with my American name because I talk to him in Korean. I said with a smile that I'm a Korean-Chinese and I was born in California. I give him the document and money before he gives me a bib, wishing me good luck. I thank him and I move away a little to tie my board to my bag. I head to the place where there are other participants and indeed, I am the only girl. They look surprised when I saw that I was going participate, but I do not pay too much attention and I sit down to put my protections. I take off my shoes on and I leave to others. In fact, I have a pair of skate shoes that I use only for competitions and I'm glad I had the foresight to bring them. "You came prepared, it seems," said one of the participants as I finished putting my guard knees.

"Actually, no," I said. "I always bring these shoes and my protection in case. I did not think there would be a tournament here. "

"In any case, good luck," he said before leaving.

I finally put my elbow protectors before leaving again my board and put on my bib before putting my wrist guards. A voice is heard and I realize that this is the man at registration; it must be one of the organizers. He would like to welcome everyone and talk of regulations. So it's pretty simple since when our name is named, you just cross the course by doing acrobatics and he or she, in this case, whom has the highest score, wins. Watching my number on the bib, I know I'm not in the top so I can observe the other. The competition begins and biting my lip.

"Nervous?" Wonder boy of the same earlier.

"No, on the contrary, I am excited," I said smiling at him. "After all, I came to have fun."

Seeing that I'm the next, I put my headphones on and I put my iPod in his case that I put around my arm. He looks surprised me by asking if I was going to skate while listening to music and it is even more surprised at my answer.

"I skate to the beat of the music," I said before going to the starting line because my name was called

I see the surprise of the audience since I'm the only girl participating and many sees me put earphones in my ears. I adjust the volume and already I move to the beat of the music without leaving the judge eyes. I started when I pointed out to start and I'm awesome acrobatics. I finished the same as my music and I take off my headphones to greet the crowd applauding me like the other participants are all in shock. I return to the bench of the participants to get water and I bend the head when they complement me on my performance.

"You really skate to the beat of the music," said the boy. "Rather impressive ... You called?"

"Alysa Kim," I said. "I'm a Korean-Chinese in California."

"You also come from California?" He asks. "I also grew up there. My name is..."

"I know who you are Daewon Song" I said. "I'm one of your fans. It’s an honor for me to participate in a competition with you."

He seems surprised, but happy and we continue to talk about California when the judge calls it as it is a special guest. I understand why there are so many fans and I applaud with others. It comes and speaks a little while judges must counts of scores. He even made a demo and I'm all done by him and marvel at his talent. The applauses are once again heard and he takes the microphone when he received the envelope with the scores. He appoints all the second and third positions and I am surprise to see that my name was not called. I guess my performance was not good enough but I decided to stay and congratulated the winner.

"I had the chance to talk with that person," he said, smiling. "I was very curious about this young Korean-Chinese in California participate in this competition, but even more so when I realized she was going to put headphones. I ask him his reason and she just smiled and said: I skate to the beat of the music. And I can tell you it really did. I've never seen a girl who is in total control of his board while making such acrobatics. It gives me great pleasure to give the first place to Alyson Kim! "

I'm in shock! Did I really understand? It's not a hallucination? I really won? It is in seeing the other participants look me in applauding that I really realized that I win first place. I walk towards him shyly since all the attention is turned to me and that's the kind of thing that makes me want to shut myself.

"Congratulations Alyson!" the judge or the MC said.

"Thank you," I said shyly.

"So how do you feel being the only female participant and be the winner?" He asks.

"By done, I came to have fun." I said. "I knew nothing of the competition, but I can say that it is an honor for me to participate in a competition in the presence of the famous Daewon Song, I'm a big fan."

"Tell us how you have done for us to show such a performance?" wonder the MC.

"This may sound strange but there are three things which I trust," I said

"And what are they?" He asked me rather curious.

"To believe in my talent, having my own pace and make one with my board." I said. "Whether it's with surfing, snowboarding or skateboarding, I still am one with my board."

He even congratulated me once and I still salute the crowd. I return to the bench to remove my protection and change my shoes on. Daewon Song sits down next to me to do the same and we speak while storing our things. He even congratulated me once and goes to the fans who asked an autograph. I walked over to him as it is near the exit when I ask him for his autograph which he laughs and even took a picture together. I managed to get out and I smile and return to dormitory, feeling my trophy in my bag.

¤¤¤

The dormitory door opens and seven boys come in, tired of their journey. They are back in their small concert in Thailand and they are glad to be back. They are a little surprised not to see me nowhere especially Mark.

"Where is she?" Says he worried.

"Hyung, it has a note on the table," said BamBam showing them the little note. "It seems to be taken out of the air."

"But why is she not here to welcome his big brother," he said whining on Jackson's shoulder.

He sighs at the behavior of his friend and told him it's not his fault they returned rather than expected. Just then, the door opens and I am rather surprised to not feel my feet touching the ground. I realize I'm in the arms of brother and I start to smile realizing that they are back. He finally dropped me and I greet the other then I do high fives in two maknaes. They let me take off my shoes and go to the living room with my board.

"Alyson, there's something weird in your bag," said Yugyeom.

"Do you mean that?" I said pulling out the trophy of my bag.

"A trophy?" wonder BamBam, surprised. "Where have you been?"

"I believe I participate in a skateboard competition" I tell them.

"And you won first place?" Asked my brother rather impress.

Knowing their passion for skateboarding, I smiled showing my signature on my board and they are shocked to learn that I met Daewon Blood. I even showed them the picture on my cell that I took with him and I can see them especially envious of Jackson and Mark. We go into the sound and continue to speak just as I fall asleep on the shoulder of my brother.