Only my job

Mr and Mrs Yoon

Seohyun wiped the remaining tears on her cheek, cursing silently on the salty liquid that seems like doesn`t want to stop staining her pale white cheeks. Her hands did not stop throwing and plugging her things into her luggage. She stood up straight, scanned thru her room, her old room with her husband or ex-husband as she also didn`t know what her status of marriage at that moment to make sure that she leaves nothing behind and with a sniffed, she zipped up the huge luggage that could even fitted her. 

With difficulty, she placed the big luggage on the carpeted floor and right when she wanted to pull it, the door of the room was pushed from the outside, revealing the man that she swore she doesn`t want to see again in front of her eyes for the rest of her life.

“Where are you going?”

Seohyun in a huge amount of air and at the same time, wiped the tears that suddenly trickled down before facing the man straight in the eyes, “I am going to leave”

“Leave…?” The man asked with a hint of a scoffed, although he didn`t show it but it`s getting on the woman`s nerves, “Where…? You have nowhere to go”

“I am willing to go anywhere… anywhere but here” She said bluntly, “I have no reason to stay here at the first place”

The man pushed the door closed with his feet and a soft sound of the click of the doorknob sounded very loud in Seohyun`s ears, or maybe she is imagining it, “I can`t held you back if that is your intention but just to make sure, I still believe that all the things happened is not my fault”

“Not your fault…?” Seohyun asked in disbelief, “After what you have done to me, after you humiliated me in front of our friends, after everything that you did to my project, you still think this is not your fault?” Unknowingly, her voice rise up, “What the hell is wrong with you? What have gotten into you? For all these years, because of money and fame you`re willing to do this to me, you own wife, Yoon Doojoon?”

“You know what…?” Doojoon leaned against the white wall, hands crossed on his chest, “You are a very dense woman. I am not lying to you when I told the whole people that I married you because it is my job. Not heart feelings but you are the only one who fell in love with me”

The once dried tears started to form in her eyes again and no matter how hard she was trying to hold it in, it just gushed out like a flowing river straight to the sea and in this case, Seohyun`s sea of heartbreak, “You are a complete , Yoon Doojoon. I don`t believe it that there is a wicked and selfish and saucy man like you on the surface of the earth”

“I am sorry, babe” He smirked, “It is love to you but it is job to me… only my job”

~~~~~

2 weeks…

7 days…

168 hours…

Seohyun`s empty and lonely eyes seems so intense on watching the movie on aired on the television, Blitz, starring Jason Statham, but it doesn`t have to take any genius in the world to figure out, after what she had gone through that the mind of the businesswoman is empty. It is not her mind only but her soul, her life, her emotion, everything else is empty. It was like she was almost dying getting struck with a truck and being save by the doctor only to know that she will be blame for the incident that cause the truck driver no injuries.

For the thousandth times, she sighed deeply and leaned back against the fluffy sofa. It has been 2 weeks since the last days she stepped outside her new apartment. Since she left her last house, her ex-husband`s house and rented the apartment, she locked herself in the little house, didn`t socialize, didn`t mingle and didn`t even say hey to her neighbors. All that she did was lie down on the sofa she currently sitting on, watching the small television that was already there when she rented the house and sleep. She even lost count on the last day she sees food. Water is the only thing that she consumed when her stomach growl like a wolf, asking to be fed.

Like a cue, her stomach growl again.

Groaning, Seohyun sat up straight, wanted to get up and take some more water but then there is breaking news aired on the television… that attracts her attention.

The owner of the biggest construction company in the country Yoon Cooperation, Yoon Daehyun officially stated in the company`s official site that he will pass down the heritage of the family biggest leverage to his one and only son, Yoon Doojoon that has been helping him from day one until now. The company had also received a numerous projects from all over the world that will definitely bring profits and gains to the company in no time.

We have also heard about a so called stolen project made and handled by Yoon Doojoon but he refused to comment on the matter, saying that it is confidential company information and he is not doing anything wrong. No matter what, the whole nation is supporting the company intentions in doing whatever matters to them as Yoon Cooperation always donate more than 10% of their monthly profits for the youth development of the country.

And in one other report, there was a rumor about the wreckage on the marriage of the soon to be CEO of the company. Yoon Doojoon and his wife, who he never revealed to the media who she is, were reported not to be in a good terms by some of their closest. Yoon Doojoon was suspected to be treating his wife badly in a term that only both of them could understand. Yoon Doojoon stated that it is a very personal matters but no one should worried about him or his wife, they are doing just fine. There is no injuries or police involve but more to their working status. Probably, only they knew what was happening. We will always support them, just so they know.

Their marriage had last for more than a year and Yoon Doojoon never wanted to reveal his wife to anyone accepts his friends and family members. Their weeding was held not in this country and no one knows where. The husband clearly said that he doesn`t want to intermix his work and his personal life.

“Marriage…” Seohyun whispered and her own voice heard so foreign, so different, so… small, like a scared little 8 years old kid. Her eyes looked at the screen of the television and immediately watered as she saw the picture of the man that managed to steal her heart but mercilessly threw it away for the stray dogs.

Out of sudden, while Seohyun was mourning over her stupidity on believing people easily, her phone rang, the phone that she hasn`t touch for 2 weeks. She didn`t even bothered to charge the phone`s battery and slightly amazed on how it can last that long. Slowly, she reached for the Sony smartphone that was a gift from her ex-husband and looked at the screen, sighing as she saw her co-worker`s name as the caller. Reluctantly, she swiped her thumb and affixed the phone to her right ear. “This is Seo Johyun” She answered with full professionalism despite whatever had happened to her. No matter what, she is still a corporate woman and has to know how to distinguish between personal and work, that is the first principal. Normally, she would say, ‘this is Yoon Johyun’. But now even the surname makes her want to gag. She felt disgust only by thinking or saying the name.

“Seohyun… Where the hell are you?”

Pulling the phone a bit far from her ear, she winced at her friend`s angry voice. That friend of her can be very loud especially when she is excited or angry about something and now, she as sure that her friend is angry with her.

“Jessica… I am sorry. I am not feeling well”

“Not feeling well…? What kind of not feeling well is that? You didn`t come to the office for 2 ing weeks and boss is very angry at you right now. What the hell were you thinking?”

“I said I was sor-”

“Scratch that sorry of yours…” The caller interrupt, “I need you to get your back in the office now. We have a lot of works to do”

“I can`t, Jessica. Not after what I have cause to the company. I can`t go back in there”

“Then… What? You are just going to leave like that?”

“I think so…”

“What?” This time, Seohyun have to agape her ear and the phone really far, “Are you freaking kidding me? You are the best employee in the company and we become no. 2 in the country because of your work, projects that you handled. Are you insane?”

“No I am not. I don`t think I can face everyone in the office especially in our department after I just lost our 10 million dollars project in the US. I can`t do that Jessica. I am ashamed of myself”

“Seohyun…” Jessica sighed deeply and if they both are side by side, Seohyun was sure that the other woman will smacked her right at her head where the memory cells were located. “You can`t do that. I know that it is not fully your fault. How could you turned out our project like that to our biggest and first enemy? I know that there is something else going on but right now, you have to come to the office and let me bring you to boss. I will be there with you to support you. The project that you had lost is not only our project. We have lots of others and I can`t handle this alone without you”

~~~~~

Listening to her friend, Seohyun finally made a decision to go to the office and explained everything to her boss. Even if he will throw tantrum at her for sure, at least she had explained everything and at least Jessica will be there to listen to the truth. Jessica was right at some point, she is the best employee and it is such a waste after all her hard work, she wanted to just leave. Maybe her boss will consider keeping her and she`s didn`t mind being under a strict watch just so she didn`t get ditch for the second time. 

Straightening her shirt that she tucked in her slacks, she walked slowly and carefully into the skyscraper building, where her office is located at the 13th floor, SME Cooperation. It has been 2 full weeks she haven`t see the outside world and it seems like nothing has change, much to her pleasure. The condition of the front desk of the tall building office still the same and she can still see faces that she knew, that often greets her whenever she walked pass them mainly because she is well known throughout the whole building.

However, she finds out something odd suddenly. Frowning, she stopped her tracks and stood in the middle of the busy lobby where the office café is located at her right hand side and looked around. There is something that is not right. Usually, if anyone, the staff of the building sees her anywhere inside the office, she will receive numerous greets.

Good Afternoon, Mrs. Yoon.

Are you doing fine, Mrs. Yoon?

Here is your latte, Mrs. Yoon.

Have a nice day, Mrs. Yoon.

But now, she seems to be invisible for some reason that she didn`t know what. It is because no one says a thing to her. They just walked pass her and is she was right, 2 of them brushed against her shoulder but says nothing, no sorry at all. Nobody around her even smile at her and they ran their gazed somewhere else when they meet the eyes with her. She tried to ask someone about what is going on because there will be no way they could just ignore her like she is no one. She is the boss right hand person. But no one wanted to talk to her.

What is going on?

As she still is her deep thought, thinking about what she had done to the people around there that made them looked very disturb with her presence and almost angry at her, she felt a hand on her shoulder. Swiftly, she turned her head.

“Seo… What took you so long?”

Seohyun blinked her eyes and sighed desperately, “Jess, do you mind telling me what is going on? Why is everybody seems like they didn`t know me? They ignore me like I am a stranger. Even the cleaner over there glared at me? What is happening?” She asked, looking into the eyes of her friend, the only person that wanted to talk to her since she entered the building about 20 minutes before.

Jessica gulped down her saliva hardly that Seohyun could see the lump in , “I think it is better if you meet the boss first” She said, not answering her friend`s question and she pulled the thin hand towards the elevator.

“What is going on, Jessica?”

“I can`t tell you, Seohyun”

“Why…? I have to know because they, the people that used to hang out with me look like they hated me? What had happened?”

Sighing deeply, Jessica turned her head, looking at the pleaded eyes belong to her friend. It is not that she doesn`t want to tell her. But she was afraid that the fragile woman will be sad if she tells the truth.  She loves her friend and she doesn`t want her to be sad after what had happened to the woman. “Seo… You know that there are people who doesn`t really adore you, right?”

“What was that supposed to mean?”

“You are number 1 in our department, Seo. Although you are new and young, yet the boss still prefers you. So there are people who are getting jealous with you. With what had happened, news spread like wildfire. Before our department could cover anything, people in this building had known about it”

“You mean…” Seohyun frowned deeply, “People hating me because I lost the project?”

The woman in the black coat sighed, shaking her head, “Seo, you didn`t come up for 2 weeks, of course people will question everything and boss had been really pissed off with your absentee”

~~~~~

The whole floor fell into a deep silence. No one dare to speak a word. Everyone`s head were down on their desk, doing their work with no word with each other, not even a whisper. Mr. Song`s voice can be heard throughout the whole floor and if possible, a floor above and below them.

In the office, Jessica and Seohyun`s head also were down, looking at the carpeted floor. Both of them didn`t have the courage to face the angry, almost blow up boss. They stay closed together, with hands behind their back, only listening to their boss tantrum. If the people who hated them were there, they were sure that the scene will be another laughing stock at them.

“Don`t you guys knew what you guys had cause for the company? Because of your stupid attic and behavior, our company had lost a 10 million dollars project. It is not 10 million cents but it is 10 million dollars and it is a project from one of our biggest leverage in the US” Mr. Song said, shouting actually at the two women in front of him. He had his hands at each side of his waist, standing, walking back and forth in front of them, “It will be another million years for us to have that kind of project and you, like an idiot, easily gave the project to our biggest enemy. I can`t believe it that I have 2 of my best workers doing this kind of unacceptable thing”

Breathing in and out like a man with asthma, Mr. Song shot his eyes at the two women, wanted to hear something from both of them, “Look at me!”

Seohyun and Jessica looked up almost immediately and both of them winced at the deathly gaze of their boss. If looks can kill, they were surely had die because of that kind of look from Mr. Song.

“Speak up!”

Before Jessica could say anything, Seohyun was the first who caught Mr. Song`s attention, “I am sorry, boss. But you have to be cleared that it is me who lost the project. Jessica doesn`t have anything to do with this because I am the one who handled this project that we have lost. So please don`t put the blame on her. It is me only that you should punish and be mad at”

Scoffing, Mr. Song shook his head in regrets, “You guys are partner. You guys are the best employees of mine in this department. How could you say you handle this project alone? If this is one of your trick you safe Jessica, I will not be impressed at all Seohyun”

Seohyun nodded, understand everything that her boss meant, “It is really me because at that moment we have to handle 3 projects. I said to Jessica that I will handle this one and she handled the other 2 because its` were not too big projects. I am not here to bail her or what so ever but I am telling you so that you will not do unnecessary thing on her instead of me”

“If that`s what you wanted” Mr. Song said, walking back to his desk and sat on his comfy chair, “Why don`t you explain to me what is really happening? You have failed me, Seohyun and I am very disappointed in you. I bet you already knew that the whole people in the building didn`t appreciate your appearance here”

Jessica frowned, didn`t really agree with the crap that her boss was throwing at the poor woman beside her. “Boss… you can`t say like that. I am sure that Seohyun had her own reason behind what is happening-”

“Shut up” Mr. Song commanded.

Seohyun shook her head at her friend, asking her to stay silent and just listen to her. Her presence is enough to bring confidence for Seohyun. “Actually…” Seohyun closed her eyes for a moment, dwelling with her within either to tell what actually happened, “Yoon Doojoon and I, we…” Sighing, she looked up to her boss, “I know Yoon Doojoon as a friend. We have been friend since a few months back and although I knew that he is the son of the CEO of our first rival`s company, I still wanted to be friend with him and because of being too immersed with the man, I failed to protect our company`s project private information. Like the most stupid person ever, I just told him whatever he asked me and that is how he managed to steal the project”

“Tell me how…”

“He retrieved our client`s information and contacted them, telling them that their company will take over the project”

Jessica looked at Seohyun like she was a maniac. Yes, she knew the truth. She knew that Yoon Doojoon and Seo Johyun wasn`t a friend. They were married couple. In the office, only she knew about that since Seohyun told her and asked her not to tell anyone as Yoon Doojoon asked like that. She thought that the woman will tell the truth to the boss but she lied. Seohyun didn`t tell the truth. Why? Why she still wanted to protect the jackass?

On the other side, Seohyun just smile softly at her friend, knowing what the woman was thinking.

“Seohyun…”

“Yes, boss”

Mr. Song looked at the woman with critical eyes, eyes that tell no happy ending. It is hard for him to make the decision that he had in his mind since the first day he been told about they lost the project. Seohyun is his best worker. She is hard working, intelligent and fast thinking. Every boss will want a worker like her. A person who never question her boss`s instruction. But the woman really failed him and never once he thought, because of a guy, the woman willing to sacrifice her company`s dignity. Seohyun really ed up this time and he knew, looking at the woman, he knew he had to blurt out his decision, no matter how hard it is. “You are fired”