Chapter 7

Our Hideous World

Megan.

It has become quite a routine for the both of us to ignore each other and Mark had not so subtly tried to glare the life out of me but I was way ahead at the game.

I haven’t given “the matter” between the both of us any thoughts yet and I have no plans on starting to do so any day soon.
If Mark had wanted the both of us ‘to stay back in our own lanes’, for the time being, I will allow that to happen.

It almost felt like everything had gone back to it’s normality- only with random glaring Mark here and there. And it totally seemed like it was Park Jinyoung’s sole plan to put us together whenever he gets the chance to.

It was a fine and bright morning, students swerving their ways pass us while I idly walked behind my group of friends, still trying extra hard to hide my obvious dislike towards a certain someone.

I tried distracting myself more often than not, in favor of not wanting my thoughts to trail any further than I’m willing it to. I have enough on my plate, I don’t want any unnecessary additions (namely, Mark Tuan, ahem.)

I hated the fact that our class lays somewhere deep within the campus that it basically took a very long time to reach it. Especially on Monday mornings. No sane being would be particularly fond of walking too long on Monday mornings.
Unless you consider Jackson and Jinyoung sane.

The two previously mentioned were being exceptionally extra loud today and it took all of my self control not to kick them off a cliff. Well, self control and the thought of a broken leg.

We were half way there when two figures walked our way, waving at us at full strength. Monday energy has finally done someone right.

“Hey, guys.” It turned out to be Jaebum and a certain someone who looked distinctively foreign.
“This is Luhan, our school’s magazine editor, your senior by two years.”

He bowed and smiled politely at us and it made it all the more awkward that we had to bow back. We exchanged a small introduction before Jaebum spoke up again.

“The reason we’re here is that Luhan wanted Megan to be the school’s permanent journalist; your writings impressed him more than mine would ever do, congratulations.”

“Ey, I never said yours weren’t impressive.”

I had to momentarily pause as they bicker before my eyes, as long as I have remembered, I never submitted any piece of my writings, I have mine secured in the confines of my room unless….

I turned to face Jackson, who already had this weird-stretched mouth grin that still amused me.

“You dimwit. I thought I hid it well. GET BACK HERE!!”

“I WAS JUST TRYING TO BE A HELPFUL BROTHER! STOP HITTING ME! OUCH!”

The laughter of the others’ were drowned by the endearing noise of the school’s bell and Luhan as well as Jaebum had chosen to simultaneously yell something between the lines of “We’ll talk about it later!” “At lunch!” and ran at full speed to their respective classes.

As much as being the school’s permanent journalist made my week, it still doesn’t change the fact that it’s Monday. And there is a long stretch of hours to go.

*

When lunch arrived, there was a crowd by the school’s ground, which unsurprisingly consisted of girls around my age and a quite impressive amount of guys.

“Seems like they have gotten a new stuff to fawn on.” Amber mused. I partly agreed with her until I saw two guys facing each other, looking as ready as ever to battle.

And everything just clicked into it’s places.

“I think, we wouldn’t want to get into that.” But my suggestion was completely ignored as Jackson dragged me after himself when Jinyoung had said something about wanting to know the matter.

We pushed into the crowd and we were immediately led to the very front, which made everything a lot more dreadful.

The taller of the two suddenly turned to face us before smirking as if he had the upper hand.

“The winner will get to date Megan Wu.”
I could feel the eyes directed on me and I mustered the deepest scowl I could manage.

“Excuse me, but Megan Wu doesn’t even know the both of you. Please stop making unnecessary decisions as if you owned the damn school.”

The disbelieve on the faces of the people around me was very evident and right at that moment I have realized two things; One, I’m supposed to know them. Two, I’m in some deep trouble. Again.
Props to me.

“Did I hear that right?!”
The taller one spoke through gritted teeth whilst glaring with all his might. People like him are the reasons that I would choose Jupiter over earth; if only Jupiter had the necessities for living.

I rolled my eyes and was about to retort when someone spoke up. It does seem like someone could actually feel me.

“Yep, you heard her right. Besides, you will have to go through a few people to date her.”

I stared at Mark as if he had just said the craziest thing because he just did.

If it wasn’t for the look in his eyes and the way he bites his inner cheeks so that it looks like an expression of a strong restrain, I would have passed his words as a joke.

The taller one of the two, who had been speaking since the very beginning, then raised both of his hands; a sign of surrender.

“Alright, we’re back to the previous prize.”

Mark curtly nodded before leaving.

Mark is simply wrong in the head; through and through.

*

Lunch was over before I could speak to neither Luhan nor Jaebum so they had planned to meet me by the end of school hours, with the company of Jackson of course. Jackson Wu would never allow me to meet anyone on my own. Ever.

The air was surprisingly warm even though summer is nowhere around the corner and waiting was never our forte so it was about the ten thousandth time I’ve heard Jackson sigh.

Except this one was a very deep and long one along with the fidgeting of his fingers, the act he always does when he’s either nervous, agitated or plain confused.

“Is something the matter?”
His eyes stared distantly and quite unfocused.

“What is between you and Mark?”
I turned away, completely expecting this to happen sooner or later but right at this moment, I wasn’t quite sure what to reply and so, I remained silent.

To be very honest, I have zero idea of what is between me and Mark; through out the years, we’d barely spoken to each other, in fact we had the tendency to ignore each other in middle school and for Mark to have anything (if so, a problem) with me is completely out of me.

I propped my chin against my palm and stuck to my resolve of being silent, merely to dodge the question.

“Look,” don’t look, don’t look!
“Look at me.”
Jackson’s tone was clipped and firm and there was no way I could stick to my resolve. Jackson Wu had to always destroy your resolves.

“Mark had been acting very strange ever since you had that incident with Hyeri and as your older brother, I can’t tolerate him. If Jinyoung hadn’t been a good friend, I would have stopped hanging out with the both of them”

Silence followed as soon as Jackson had stopped speaking. Jackson wasn’t and isn’t exactly the observant type of person and for him to notice Mark’s behavior made me realize that whatever was/is between us had gone to a whole different level.

What frustrates me the most is the fact that I have no clue.
so pathetic.

“What do you suggest?”

He paused and looked thoughtful for a moment. “Talk with him. Solve the matter.”

The argument was right on my tongue when Luhan and Jaebum arrived and so, I was forced to hold everything back.

“Such punctual people.”

Jaebum, who had gotten used to Jackson, had only rolled his eyes while Luhan rubbed his nape awkwardly. Poor guy is about to have a hard time.

“There’s this café nearby. I think it’s better if we head there first.”

I nodded while Jackson scoffed.

“Why didn’t you tell us to wait there instead?”

“Wouldn’t want you to have all the drinks to yourselves while we ran our butts off on the ground.”

“I should probably change your name tag from Im Jaebum to Im .”

The walk to the café was mostly filled with Jackson and Jaebum’s bickering while Luhan and myself kept our silence intact, with Luhan occasionally pointing out and explaining the grounds and buildings by the school. The school's neighbourhood had a quite large amount of historical buildings.

The café was a small and cozy place with lesser costumer when we arrived. It was as if Jaebum and Jackson had a silent agreement on who chooses the table and who goes to order. Such a beautiful friendship.

Luhan chose the seat facing mine and Jackson seated himself beside me (as always), one of his arms encircled around my waist. One day, people might misinterpret his over-protective-brother act.

“I will just go straight to the point,” Jaebum had taken his seat once Luhan begun speaking. “The reason I had wanted to meet and talk with you is that I don’t only want Megan to be the school’s permanent journalist but I’m also offering you guys to join the students’ council.”

I looked over at Jackson, who had my surprise mirrored.

“Us as in all of us including Amber, Jinyoung and Mark?”

Luhan flashed a delicate and excited smile whilst nodding a little too vigorously.

“But why?”

Jackson had taken the speaking part and so I was left to stare incredulously at Luhan and Jaebum.

“It’s a kind of a long story.”

Jackson rolled his eyes “I’m sure we’ve a plenty of time to spare.”

“Well, the previous council members had already left for college and ever since, I and Jaebum are the only ones left. Since the academy year begun, we’d actually searched for students who would be interested in joining as a member but unfortunately, to no avail. The council had been dead for a month or so until Jaebum talked to me about you guys. I’m hoping you would like to join.”

I and Jackson faced each other once again before Jackson grinned.

“Why, of course we would join. I will represent the school’s sports and Megan would represent literature.”
They went on about who would suit which category.

“But we haven’t spoken to the other three of your friends.” Luhan looked uncertain and reluctant for a moment before Jaebum patted his shoulder.

“I’m sure Jinyoung and Amber would love to join but Mark is the tough one. We can’t really predict his decisions.”

Somehow, the mention of Mark had caused a bubble of laughter in my throat, threatening to spill out. Mark, the tough one.
Is that how people see him?

“Is there a representative for psychology? Mark would fit that.”

While Jaebum and Jackson broke out into hysterical laughter, Luhan just looked plain confused and a little lost.

Poor guy is about to experience an even harder time.

 

[Note : I FINALLY UPDATED. PRAISE THE LORD AND HIS MIRACLES. \(^_^)/
Thank you for sticking up to this story, ily all <3]