Chapter 1

Our Hideous World

Megan.

I wasn’t excited for the beginning of this year to say the very least; High school phobia, one could say even though I doubt if such phobia exists.
Kris had always talked about how high school is the busiest point of life (which I could hardly believe because he has been busy since the day he was born) and aside of that, one of my concerns would be that I would stay as much of a loner as the past years, for the next three years.
I really deserve an award for bearing all of these at this early stage of life.

I grabbed my bag and slung it over my shoulder, tying my shoelaces in the process. Big day ahead.

I descended the stairs with heavy steps, clearly not pleased by the fact that I have to go to school this morning.

“Good morning, princess.”

Jackson grabbed my hand and kissed the back of it, I rubbed the same exact spot against my blazer’s sleeve, trying to act as if I was disgusted by the act but nevertheless, my grin doesn’t come anything near disgusted.

“Good morning, are we the only ones left?”
He scoffed at my question and I jabbed him in the ribs with my elbow, just because.


“What does it seem like?”

It’s pretty obvious that every one (Kris, mom and dad) had left so I just decided to give him a curt nod and a muttered “They’ve been busy since forever anyways” which he had laughed at.

We walked side by side to school, since it isn’t far, chatting about everything and anything at once.

“Mark and Jinyoung are going to be  our school mates again. Yep, same school.”

A snicker involuntarily left my mouth. “Fate has an ugly arrangement.”

To say that I hate those two might come off rude and false ; I never hated them, dislike maybe but definitely not hate. I could actually tolerate them at times but sometimes, they just know which nerve to hit.

“They’re……….okay, to be honest.”

I seem to like snickering this morning because another one slipped off my mouth “Yeah, to you.”

It wasn’t long until Seoul high came into sight.

Jackson squeezed my shoulders once we reached the gate, a silent way of telling me that he is going to be there for me no matter what might happen through out these three years (and pretty much because I would be the nominee of ‘loner of the year’)
It’s a yearly routine for Jackson, to reassure me, that is.

Seoul high is beautiful and HUGE. If it wasn’t for Jackson, I would have looked like a sore thumb between all the students running around, trying to find their ways to class; which I and Jackson should’ve been doing but instead, I stood rooted to the ground because holy, How am I going to make it through? Three years is not a very short (or pleasant) period.

Jackson nudged my side playfully before pointing ahead with his chin, “Guess who is on our way?”

A holler of “JACKSON!” was heard across the hall and some of the students cared to turn their heads to look at us.
“JINYOUNG!”

If there really was a penalty for being loud, I don’t know where Jackson and Jinyoung might be right now.

10 feet from where we had been standing is the nightmare I don’t really want to face (that doesn’t count as hate, or does it?)
Mark and Jinyoung, the duo visual of our class walked their smug asses our way, more like Jinyoung running like his pants were on fire towards Jackson while Mark just strolled lazily behind him.

One cannot just handle Park Jinyoung and his endless energy, mind you.

“We made it to high school!”

I didn’t mean to be rude but I snorted anyway. “I am surprised YOU made it.”

“Eyy, you’re underestimating the almighty Park Jinyoung.”

I rolled my eyes and chose to stay quiet instead because as I have said, one cannot just put up with Park Jinyoung.

I don’t know where or when was the starting point of Jinyoung and Jackson’s friendship, it might be because Chanyeol usually bring him over to our place or it might be of another reasons I don’t quite memorize however what I do know is that Jinyoung is more nicer to Jackson than that to me in which I have no heed to pay to; the thought of Park Jinyoung being all clingy and nice to me sent shudders down my spine. Yes, it’s THAT creepy.

At one point, if people might give us a glance or two, Jackson, Jinyoung and Mark suits the title of “School Kingkas”  since they possess all the requirements; good looks, charms and such(I only meant to praise my brother, not the other two.) Yeah, and while we’re at that, I could just be entitled as the third wheel (or fourth?)

The class was somewhere on the furthest right wing, dread grew with each step I took because how wonderful was it to be in a class with the well known (annoying) “duo visual” and even better, walking to class by their side. Super wonderful.

It makes everything just perfect when all four of us had the same classes through out the day.

I heaved a deep sigh, bracing myself for the worst to come.

The class was loud, I didn’t expect any less but it still amuses me how everyone was just as equally loud as the other; Girls rushed our way, “Duo Visual” being the cause and I scooted away, walked off to search for a seat without grabbing anyone’s attention.

Apparently, Jackson was trapped; it was his bad fortune that he linked arms with Jinyoung and now, he had to suffer along with the two. I didn’t know if I should laugh or rather feel bad for my brother; I chose to do none and proceeded with my “seat-picking”

I chose the middle seat at the very back of the classroom, I received a look or two from the guys in the class as if to mentally say “Why aren’t you fangirling over them?” which I had scoffed at because AS IF I would fangirl.

I plopped myself down when I heard Jackson’s awkward hyena laugh (screech). It was really a hard task to control my laughter.

 Jinyoung and Mark had successfully escaped and sat on my sides respectively, Jinyoung on the left, Mark on the right and later followed by Jackson right in front of me.

Everything’s gonna get tough for all of us, we just need to brace ourselves.

*

Lunch break was nothing better.
Girls cling around the three “new found handsome boys” and almost dragged them to different tables which resulted in them constantly apologizing to everyone, not trying to both ruining their image and coming off as rude.

“And this is just the first day. How wonderful.” Jinyoung spoke, a voice above breathless-whisper before plopping down on his seat.

“Good luck guys, you really need it.”
I sat down on the seat across the “duo visual” with Jackson by my side.

“I wasn’t included last year, not saying that I wasn’t popular but yeah, I wasn’t THIS popular.”

I rolled my eyes “Exaggeration level : Jackson.”

I ignored the hit Jackson directed to the back of my head and focused on munching on my sandwich instead.
 

For all I know and from what I have calculated since this morning (and a week ago), things are going to take a different path this time; Jackson will definitely hang out with his guy friends with his popularity and such, projects will swarm their ways, we will have to attend different classes and with all the studying to be done, passing seems like an impossible thing and lastly, I would have to get friends (which is HARD).

Megan and socializing should never be put into a sentence together.

“uh, hello. May I have a seat?”
I looked up only to meet a pair of huge-innocent eyes staring at me with hope.

I replied with a nonchalant “Sure, why not.”

The guy took the empty seat beside me rather than the one beside Mark and I really didn’t question him because Mark’s expression right now can describe malice perfectly.

Jackson circled his arm around my waist and pulled me slightly closer to him; he is not a possessive boyfriend but he surely is an over-protective brother.

“Sooooo, introduce yourself.”
Again, I just scoffed at Jinyoung’s a-bit-too-cheerful voice. No, seriously that voice just annoys the life out of you.

“Im Jaebum of 2nd grade. I’m sorry if I bothered you guys but the amount of new students is no joke.”
Then on, Jaebum and Jinyoung talked about anything and everything at the same time; Jackson butted in at some points or otherwise no one else spoke.

“And uh sorry, I didn’t know ur names.”
 

I snickered a little too loud for my own liking that Jackson slightly pinched my side. “Too early aren’t we? But anyways, I’m Megan, nice to know you.”

His lips curl up in a soft smile and I offered a small smile of my own.

“Jackson here!”

“Mark.”

Jinyoung rolled his eyes at his best friend’s curt reply but proceeded to talk with Jaebum.
I and Jackson argued over some boyband when the bell rang.

We were busy arguing while we were on our way to class that I accidentally bumped into someone but I caught my balance right away while the other person(girl) fell square on her .

“USE YOUR PRETTY EYES!”
Her screm was too loud for my ears.

“Thanks for the compliment but I’m not the only one at fault here.”
As if the world stopped revolving, all eyes were set on us but I could basically care less.
I didn’t just purposely decide like “oh, there’s this babe walking our way I should just bump into her and cause a scene” I DID NOT. (yep, compared to me, she’s a total babe but do I sound like I care?)

“Are you seriously telling us that Lee Hyeri is at fault too?!”

Typical dramatic school babes. “Us? I am just telling you. And humans make mistakes, Lee Hyeri is not an exception unless Lee Hyeri is not a human then we could go on further considerations.”

She grabbed me by the collar and inched her disgusting, make-up filled face closer.

“Look, YOU certainly don’t know who you’re messing with. I’m Lee Hyeri, the school’s queen.”

I grabbed her wrist and twisted it until I see the signs that she was at least a bit affected by my strength.
“Well, YOU are the one who doesn’t know who you are dealing with. Megan Wu is the name, pleasure to meet ya!”

I shoved her forward and Jackson patted me on my back.
I could tell that he was proud but the situation was uncalled for. Great, there goes my plan to “never get noticed”. Life is just perfect.

[Note : Comments are always welcomed :)]