Chapter 6

Our Hideous World

Author.

Lovely Megan Wu,
I hope by the time you read this, you would at least feel a tad better. Jackson had written a letter to reason out your absence and if you are wondering, it was Mark who brought your unconscious self yesterday (you can thank him later)and as for the time being, Bambam (the little cutie) will take care of you on our behalf.
Until then, take care of yourself and we will see you after school.

Love, Jinyoung.

Ps. This is my first attempt at writing formal letters therefore your comments are HIGHLY NOT appreciated.

She groaned inwardly into her pillows as the letter, the attempting-to-be-formal letter, had done nothing but worsen the headache.
She could have lived happily without it.

Propping herself up, she winced, clutching hard on her throbbing head.  Way to start a morning.

“Oh noona, you’re awake.” There he goes with the Noona thing. “I meant, Megan.”

She hid her smile carefully before clearing which had suddenly gone dry, sore and aching. “Good morning to you too, Bambam.”

“Sadly, it’s nearly afternoon so tone down the sarcasm if you please.”

Her eyes went wide for a fraction of second, letting out a disgruntled sound before heading straight to the bathroom, muttering “Bloody sickness” all the way.

Bambam, who had previously stood unsure by the side of the room merely shrugged and opted to lay himself on Megan’s unoccupied bed, opening a book he had carried with him.

Megan sighed as the fatigue kept building up everytime she felt it wash off.

Having a sensitive skin is a privilege, she had thought as a wince escaped her lips for the umpteenth time that day when her wrist, a little blue, had accidentally hit the sink.
The ‘Queen’s’ bodyguards had done an undeniably great job.

“You will have to get out of the room, kid. I need to change.”

“There is nothing to see anyway.”

The loud clank of the plastic bottle she had thrown and the hurried pads of feet against the marble floor resounded from the room indicated the boy’s leave.

She had stared (wide-eyed) at her bed, her bed sheet and pillows sprawled on the floor and she was about to scream but decided against it a moment later since she hadn’t planned or wanted to further the damage of .

Instead, she had pullled on random clothes and stormed out of the room right after.
She wouldn’t live a day if she didn’t make him pay for this.

*

“But nooooona, it would take ages.”

“Then it will be for the best if you start arranging the books NOW.”

She hadn’t even paid a glance at Bambam’s sulky self but Bambam being bambam opted to sulk further and refused to arrange her shelf ‘the little library’

The size of the shelf made everything a lot better (Megan’s perspective) or worst (Bambam’s perspective)

The boy had solely focused his stare on the shelf, willing the books to arrange themselves. Failing at it, he then glanced back at Megan, turning his pleading eyes towards her but a glare was enough to send him off. (not without a lot of dramatic groans.)

Megan, as a normal human, was never fond of being sick, moreover with her brain working much slower than it’s usual slow pace.

She heaved a sigh before opening a book, attempting determinedly to read when the front door flew open and the three muskeeters made their grand entrance. Except, they’re the fake one.

“Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,” bellowed Jackson from the front door itself, earning quite deep scowls; even from Amber, who is too kind to scowl.

“It’s evening, you twit.”
Jinyoung did all of them the favor of slapping Jackson on the head, hard.

Jinyoung had blatantly ignored the loud “OUCH! THAT HURTS!” and opted to saunter his way to the sofa, taking a seat at Megan’s side.

“A letter for you, young miss.”

She rolled her eyes before snatching the letter away; blushing too soon at the name of the sender for Jinyoung to miss.

“Ooh, I smell something fishy.”

She slid her finger softly against the name on the envelope, smile almost gracing her lips; Maybe, he is not so bad after all but the smile never came as the content of the letter surfaced, turning the ‘almost’ gesture into a frown.
Wait……. WHAT?!

“I apologize beforehand as the things I’m about to write would be unpleasant. I just wanted to make things clear, yesterday’s events hadn’t changed  anything between us, whatever it is, it will forever remain this way. Yesterday was just merely a phase or a schoolmate helping another schoolmate?
We shall stay back on our own lanes. –Mark.”

It was rather rude and no matter what angle she turns the letter toward, it would never appear otherwise.

It wasn’t as if she had higher expectations on the guy but colliding on good terms was what she had at least hoped for.

But this is Mark you’re talking about and he had always been quite… exceptional and rude and bipolar and.. and…

She closed her eyes as she felt her anger riling up. The inconsiderate bastard.

She heaved a long and deep sigh, calming her nerves. She has absolutely no idea of why she had gotten herself so worked up about the matter and settled it on confusion.

Yes, she was just confused. Yes.

She left the room without a word, leaving the others to just frown at her retreating back. She had forgotten all about the letter and realization downed on the others as they had respectively read the letter.

They had decided that this was Mark’s dumbest move. Period.

*

Growing together, even if they weren’t the closest, Jinyoung had noticed the rapid changes in Megan.
She was one of those quiet and aloof type and only stayed by Jackson’s side, still does as a matter of fact but now, the present Megan had grown into a good-natured girl (still undeniably sarcastic) who accepts everyone’s offer of friendship. A lot more open than she ever was.

It made him regret a list of things, one being used to being mean towards her. The guilt never does go away even though Megan had sort of accepted him as a friend.

On the other hand, Jinyoung had grown up by Mark’s side, had always been the closest to him and the only person Mark speaks to, he had noticed that through years and years Mark hadn’t changed the tiniest bit.

Poor guy is confused whether to set aside his childhood stupidity or hold upon it, which made Jinyoung a bit frustrated.

If not individually but together, Mark and Megan are two sets of confusing puzzles when put together will either complete the other or stand in two different paths.

The two had never had anything in common (except for the mutual hatred, perhaps) and was good at staying away from each others’ ways.  Jinyoung has somehow planned to gather them in a term of at least friendly liking and that day, he was genuinely surprised when the both of them had appeared together ; asking for the detention class’ direction.

He had thought, maybe it wouldn’t be so hard. But things had to go wrong, ofcourse and Jinyoung was helpless.

It was a fine morning but that wasn’t the reason of Jinyoung’s contempted smile during break, in fact it was just the way of how Megan had silently glared at her food, looks everywhere but had refused to look at Mark who was sitting right across her as per usual.

And Mark’s dejected look just made his day.
Jinyoung thought that this time around, his best friend deserved it.

Maybe then, Mark should be able to sort out his priorities but as for now, Jinyoung would have to sit back and enjoy the show.

*

It took all of her will power to avoid Mark Tuan at all costs in the morning; changing sitting arrangements, walked through the back gate and so on and so forth yet by the time break rolls over, she has no choice but to sit in the same table as the insufferable git.
She wasn’t complaining. Oh no, not at all.

It wasn’t as hard to ignore him all those years because quite obviously, they didn’t have to sit on the same table; all for Jackson and Jinyoung’s sake.

She intently stared at her food  when the dissipating crowd made her lift her head, only to be greeted by the most horrible sight, or so, according to her.

“Oh, why is that the great and brave Romeo didn’t happen to craddle her Juliet? Are they seeing other people?”

Megan had no doubt that Hyeri had paid her minions to laugh at her snide comments whenever Hyeri had very hardly indulged in sounding funny orelse, it wouldn’t sound as stiff, synchronized and practised.

Megan idly played with her food, pushing it around her plate.

“I’m talking to you. Have you turned deaf?”
Her two minions was the only one laughing, the same monotonous laugh while the rest of the cafetaria watched them with keen interest.

“I didn’t remember my parents naming me with any of those lame names.”
Megan had casually stated without even as much as sparing her a glance.

“Oh Mark baby, it is such a pity that you had to put up with such, such a lady.”
Megan cringed and was about to retort when Mark beat her to it.

“I don’t remember my life being your business.”

“But Mark darling…”

“Sod off.”
Megan had openly injected much venom to her words before she decided to leave.
She grabbed her bag, shoved Hyeri out of her way and left.

So much for a peaceful day.

*

The school’s park never failed to amuse her with its neatly-trimmed trees and fresh green grass; it helped ease some of her foul mood.

Mark was enough problem, she doesn’t need Lee Hyeri tailing behind.

With a deep sigh, she slammed herself against a tree and closed her eyes; momentarily focused on the temporary pain.

“The park is surely a huge one for a person, mind if I join?”

Jinyoung’s voice had startled her but she managed to show no surprise. He took his seat beside her without being invited and they both sat in complete silence.

“Mark is a prick,”
Jinyoung had finally said and Megan raised a brow “I thought you would never point out.”

“But he is also my best friend,” she saw where this was heading and even though she didn’t like it, she made no effort to stop it. “he is clearly struggling.”

Her curiosity itched “From?”

“I don’t know.”

She stared at him incredulously. “Park Jinyoung, if you are attempting to be mysterious, I am happy to disappoint you by telling that you clearly fail at it.”

It was him who had laughed first but soon the both of them laughed together.

“I think, the both of you need to figure things out.”
Jinyoung had said after he had eased his breathing.

She didn’t reply and chose to shut her eyes instead. Figure what out?
It was clear that they had nothing to fix but there was also the heavy unsettling feeling. The weird heavy unsettling feeling.

“Definitely.”
She finally said before leaving Jinyoung to his own aid.

Mark and herself had to figure something out but first, she needed to know what that something was.

[Note:  I apologize beforehand because the lack of updates will happen often as  I’m very much occupied with school, sadly T___T
buuuut, Thank You all so much for putting up with me!

PS. Please do talk to me via twitter @VelvetMissy_ as I am a very lonely someone. Jk.
but yes, do talk to me :) ]