Epilogue

Chasing the Impossible
Please log in to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID2] Chasing the Impossible [/CONTENTID2][CONTENTID1]

There was a ringtone of the Skype call echoing, not even five minutes after Luhan had received the message of “I’m video-calling you. I’m with Minseok and we haven’t seen you in a while” and the brunette guided the cursor on the flashing Answer button, clicking on it and staring at a window which popped up. The square on it was black for just a couple seconds before it became of shapes and colors and the forms of his two friends appeared.

The first thing he saw was the room. It was the same room the three of them had spent numerous times at, play-fighting, fanboying over artists they liked or just sitting and hanging out. It was Sehun’s brother’s small apartment and even if Luhan could see only the one bed they sat on, he could already see a small change; the walls were painted a lighter shade of blue.

The next thing he saw was Sehun. The young man appeared taller than what Luhan had remembered and he also looked thinner. He wondered if the blonde had been dieting. Also, a big change on him was that his hair were no longer a blonde, it was a nice and warm shade of brown that actually made him look better than blonde. Luhan told him he looked great like that.

The last thing he saw—because he avoided it—was Minseok. The younger boy was sitting cross-legged next to Sehun, a pillow between his arms and placed on his lap. Luhan couldn’t really see his body, to see whether he had gained or lost weight, whether he had picked more muscles due to football or, plainly, to see whether he was healthy-looking or not. It was obvious, though, that he had gotten a haircut pretty recently since his hair was way shorter than what he liked them to be. Unless he didn’t like them slightly long anymore. How would Luhan know if they hadn’t talked in weeks?

“Hello,” Sehun sing-sung with a wide smile and Luhan had truly missed seeing that smile. His voice came a bit altered due to the laptop’s speakers but it was more than enough for Luhan to long more for the life he had and, ironically, once hated.

“Hi guys,” Luhan waved a hand at the camera, a smile on his face and the other two at the other line smiled back. “How are things going?”

“Bad news; I didn’t pass the entrance exams,” Sehun announced a little too happy for actual sad news. “Good news; I’ll take the exams next year and hopefully will get into university.”

“That’s sad to hear,” Luhan’s eyes fell on the other boy’s form. “Did you pass?” Minseok shook his head and he sighed. “I expected at least one of us would pass.”

“You didn’t either, huh?” Sehun asked and Luhan shrugged.

“I didn’t open a book. I wasn’t feeling like it,” Truth be told, he hadn’t been feeling about anything ever since when his face was still blue and swollen. “Minseok, how’s the team doing? I heard you were raised a level.”

“Yup!” Minseok grinned, his lips a little twitching, but only for a second. “We’re slowly making our way up the ranks.”

“I had told you not to give up the team,” Luhan smiled and he was not that sure what he was actually smiling about—was it because he was the one to convince Minseok not to leave the team a couple months ago or was it because it brought back a million and more memories of when he spent his time with Minseok during practices; he didn’t and wouldn’t know. He decided that it was for both, and a couple more reasons. “If there’s something you love, why give up on it?”

The question was rhetorical but there seemed to settle a heavy silence over the video-call and Luhan couldn’t but gulp the awkwardness away. It was still too soon, the gashes were too fresh to make a joke of them. Or talk about them. Minseok knew what he was thinking, Luhan could see it in his eyes even if Sehun’s camera was crap. He could even notice the younger’s fingers pulling on the pillow’s strings. It was still too fresh, it was still too soon for everything. The memories were still too new and they hurt far too much.

But Luhan had gotten used to hiding it well.

“Speaking of love, Minseok has something to tell you,” Sehun chirped, hoping to break the silence which obviously made him uncomfortable even when they talked like this.

Luhan would have kept staring at Minseok’s fingers if it wasn’t for the curiosity. There was something busting in his chest like fireworks and he felt his heart pump blood faster through his body and he half-worried that he could die if too much blood made it to his brain. There was a feeling he felt which was too fam

Please log in to read the full chapter