Mending Insecurities

Breathe Easy

Warning: Has not been edited for mistakes.

 

 

 

The larger Victoria’s baby bump gets, the better the relationship she shares with Changmin seems to become. Most of the time Victoria doesn’t even notice the changes in the way they interact—from Victoria being cold and almost inanimate to her slowly warming up and, now, to them being completely comfortable with each other again.

 

A lot of times, Changmin nearly forgets about the other woman’s existence.

 

“Mom says she’ll be stopping by with some health supplements for you,” Changmin tells Victoria as he’s cleaning the kitchen counter.

 

Victoria takes a deep breath. “She comes by every day,” she groans, “We have enough to feed a room full of pregnant women.”

 

Changmin just smiles and walks over to her, placing a hand over her stomach as he leans forward and gives a quick peck to her forehead. “Mom’s just worried.”

 

“She’s over exaggerating,” Victoria argues.

 

“Only because you kept your pregnancy a secret from her,” Changmin reminds her. “She has trust issues with you now.”

 

Victoria rolls her eyes. “I don’t think I’m the only one to blame, really.”

 

Pinching her cheek, Changmin returns to the cupboards and opens the one filled with vitamins and herbs suitable for pregnant women; the cupboard is filled with various different goods but none appeal very much to Victoria.

 

“I don’t think we can fit anymore in here,” Changmin purses his lips.

 

Victoria shrugs her shoulders. “Why don’t you take some over to Wendy?”

 

Silence ensues.

 

“What? Is she a touchy subject?” Victoria asks with sarcasm drawling in every syllable.

 

Changmin then closes the cupboard and turns to face her. “Qian, I—“

 

“Its fine,” Victoria assures him. “I’m over it, and it’s not the baby’s fault. The baby deserves to be taken care of too.”

 

Except, Changmin knows she’s not really over it. How could she be?

 

“She doesn’t get to have a caring husband but at the very least she should have someone to help her care for and love the baby,” Victoria tells him.

 

There is only silence in response to her words yet, amazingly, the atmosphere does not stifle them.

 

“Changmin,” Victoria asks, “have you ever… hated me?”

 

Without a second though, Changmin replies confidently, “Never.”

 

“What about her?” Victoria wants to know. “Have you ever hated her?”

 

Taking a seat beside Victoria on the sofa, Changmin wraps an arm around Victoria and tucks her into his chest while holding one of her hands. He says, “Hate would be too strong of a word, Qian. I’ve blamed her; I’ve grieved over the fact that she was the reason I lost you. She is the reason I almost didn’t even know we have a baby together… I almost lost the chance to be a father to the only child I’ve ever wanted.”

 

“What would her baby think if they heard you say that?” Victoria shakes her head. “You can’t say things like that Changmin; that baby is innocent.”

 

“But that baby wasn’t anticipated in the first place,” Changmin retorts. “That baby wasn’t created out of love.”

 

Victoria bites down on her lip. “Love? Do you love me, Changmin?”

 

“Only you,” he answers.

 

“If you had to choose between me and the baby, who would you choose?” Victoria presses.

 

Changmin chuckles softly. “Of course I’d choose you.”

 

“But the baby—“

 

Hushing her, Changmin runs the pad of his thumb over her cheek. Their bodies are warm in the coolness of their home; their heartbeats are steady, beating strongly in the peacefulness of their conversation. “No one can ever take priority over you in my heart, Qian. Our baby is important—our baby is special—but only because our baby is mine and yours. Wendy may be carrying a child with my blood but that child is simply a child that partially shares my genes; that child, at best, is a responsibility but our child… our child is a blessing.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

On the night Victoria gave birth, she only managed to force one phrase through her teeth while sweat pooled down her heated, red skin just over where her veins about wanted to explode.

 

“Shim Changmin, I hate you! I. Hate. You!”

 

And Changmin is too panicked over the blood spooling from her legs and the trembling pain immersed from every inch of her body to hear what she says, so, instead of replying to the words she bites at him, he holds on tightly to one of her hands, rests her head against his chest, and covers her ear with his other hand.

 

Then, at some point, Victoria passes out and wakes up in the early dawn hours. Changmin is still holding her hand but when her vision clears from the blurriness of fatigue and exertion, she sees a stain of tears running down the bridge of his nose.

 

Her chest suddenly feels a little stuffy and her nose starts to go sour. Just as she is about to extend a hand to brush away the tear stain, a little hand breaks free from the cloth it has been bundled in and their little one starts crying.

 

Changmin instantly jumps awake and glances in the direction of the child but quickly averts his eyes towards Victoria, who is staring at him silently.

 

“How are you feeling?” Changmin asks her.

 

Victoria only says, “Changmin, bring me our baby.”

 

Our baby are the only words that Changmin really digests before his smile brinks from ear to ear, encouraging him to press a kiss to Victoria’s forehead before obeying her words.

 

The child is so small—tiny in her arms but so lively in her embrace. It really hits her now, now that she’s holding their baby, that she’s a mother.

 

“He takes after you,” Victoria whispers breathlessly to Changmin, but Changmin jus shakes his head with a small smile and answers,

 

“I think he—no, I hope he’s more like you, Qian.”

 

-----

 

A/N: Sorry for the long wait! My laptop broke and I just got a new one ;___; This is a short chapter but I promise the next chapter will be longer. Quick question: For my next fic, which couple would you guys prefer to read? Luhan/Victoria or Kai/Victoria? ♥Xue