Knockdown

Breathe Easy

Warning: Has not been beta'd or edited.

 

 

 

Jung Yunho says,

 

“That Changmin has been waiting for this moment all his life—this is what he’s prepared himself for ever since the moment he met you—but, sadly, he’ll probably be the last to know, if he ever even gets to know, huh?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

It started with an accident.

 

Victoria is five months pregnant now, her tummy only just starting to form a decent sized bump, and she’s trying to catch a cab when a black and shiny vehicle pulls up to her.

 

After looking inside, it’s that face that had become strangely familiar to her after knowing Changmin all these years.

 

“Long time no see! Need a ride?” Yunho smiles.

 

She smiles back in turn. “I’m okay but thank you for the offer.”

 

Yunho grins wider. “I’m sure Changmin would be more than happy to come give you a lift.”

 

Reading that as the threat it was intended to be, Victoria stares at Yunho for a moment before pulling the passenger’s seat door open and joining him in the car. Yunho chuckles a little as he helps her with her work bag, staring at her growing tummy in what appears to be realization.

 

“Where are you headed?” He asks her.

 

To be honest, she was heading home. Now, though, she needs to go anywhere but home. “There’s a café not too far away from here—“

 

“Amber’s?” Yunho interrupts her.

 

“…Yes,” Victoria replies.

 

Yunho laughs. “How about we get some lunch first?”

 

“I don’t think—“

 

“I could invite Changmin, too, if it makes you feel better.” Yunho reminds her.

 

Victoria clenches her jaw. “Anything that’s not spicy will do.”

 

“I thought you loved spicy food?” Yunho raises an eyebrow.

 

She lowers her eyes towards her stomach, as though that were answer enough. “I do, but it’s not good for the baby.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“How long are you going to hide this from him?”

 

That was the first question Yunho asked her after they got seated in the Italian restaurant that he decided on for them; nothing spicy and a lot of dairy and tomato sauce based dishes—that should be okay, right?

 

“You know he’d be ecstatic to know you’re pregnant.”

 

Her lips are slightly chapped and her cheeks are lightly doused in a blush of rose red. Winter has never been her favorite season. “I don’t plan on telling him.”

 

“What?” Yunho scoffs, furrowing his eyebrows. “Changmin has the right to know.”

 

“He’s got other things to worry about,” Victoria insists.

 

Yunho rolls his eyes. “Oh really? Please do enlighten me because ever since he met you, you’ve pretty much been the center of his universe.”

 

“We’ve broken up,” Victoria retorts.

 

He just chuckles under his breath. “Vic, I know we never did become the best of friends, but let’s be real. You and Changmin—the two of you are really something, you know? Even though we don’t know each other real well, I’m certain you’re just as crazy about him as he is about you.”

 

“I’m not—“

 

“If you aren’t then why are you keeping the baby?” Yunho questions firmly.

 

Victoria sighs. “Do you think we’d be happy if we continued being together? It’s impossible, because there’s a crack in my trust for him.”

 

“Because of that other pregnant chick?” Yunho counters. “Changmin feels nothing for her.”

 

“I know,” Victoria says, “yet, I can’t stop myself from doubting him anyways. Don’t you see? Our relationship is dented now and it can’t be fixed.”

 

Yunho purses his lips. “You’re insecure, that’s all.”

 

“Maybe,” she agrees, “but it’s tiring, to both Changmin and myself.”

 

Seeming to understand the situation a little better, Yunho smiles a little and leans forward on the table. The waiter arrives with their food and Yunho waits until the waiter retreats before he answers to her statement.

 

Yunho says,

 

“Did you know, Vic? Aside from whining about the fact that he lost you, Changmin has never made a single negative comment about you. That’s the type of existence you are to him; you are his ray of sun, his moonlight, the only thing that keeps him running—perfect, in almost every way.”

 

And she listens, feeling her heart clenching in her chest.

 

“No matter how tired you might make him feel, it is also you that gives him energy to wake up again every morning to start the day over. Don’t you think it’s a bit childish to give up on your relationship just because it’s a little… flawed?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Victoria lies in bed that night, thinking and thinking.

 

I can’t promise I won’t tell Changmin of your whereabouts,” Yunho had told her when they pulled up to her new flat. She found no purpose in putting up a fight when Yunho insisted on giving her a ride home. “Maybe you’ll want to contact him before I do. He hasn’t changed his number.

 

I know, Victoria thought to herself, because she still does receive text messages and occasional phone calls from Changmin every now and then.

 

Yunho just smiled peculiarly and then left.

 

She doesn’t even know when it was that she had fallen asleep but when she wakes up, it is to a soft pressure against her forehead.

 

Not thinking much of it, she grumbles and shifts her body slightly away from the touch but barely manages too much movement when arms reach out for her and pull her back.

 

“Careful!”

 

Turns out, she had almost tumbled off the other side of her bed. Yet, after the voice registers and realization dawns on her, her eyes immediately widen as she wakes and takes in the view before her.

 

“How did you get in?” She asks almost instantly. Perhaps a part of her already expected him to appear in her life again, but not quite like this. “What are you—“

 

Changmin grins at her and his eyes look much like that of a child’s who has found his favorite stash of candy in the kitchen. “Yunho hyung told me last night and I got a hold of Luna early this morning.”

 

Subconsciously, she pulls her blankets over her stomach hoping to hide her pregnancy; however, Changmin notices and forces his smile even wider. “You should have told me.”

 

“There’s nothing to tell,” Victoria insists.

 

Changmin takes a seat at the edge of her bed and extends a gentle hand to smoothen out a few tangles in her hair. His expression is smooth, calm, and very at peace. “Qian, I’m really, really happy.”

 

The look in his eyes is so genuine, so certain, that she doesn’t know how to respond to him.

 

“Move back in with me,” Changmin tells her, “and let’s raise our baby together.”

 

-----

 

A/N: A day late but I made it!! >_<;;;