Child's Play

Breathe Easy

Warning: Has not been beta'd nor edited.

 

 

“Qian, listen—”

 

Victoria stands very firmly when Changmin rushes to her side, reaching for her hand. She doesn’t seem upset and there is no anger in her eyes, which makes him all the more flustered.

 

“We need to talk this over,” Changmin exclaims, “I didn’t expect for any of this to happen. I didn’t want to hurt you.”

 

Her breathing is even and her eyes not once leave the gaze of the other girl’s that is locked with hers. “I heard everything really clearly,” Victoria tells him, “there’s not much for us to talk about.”

 

Changmin grips tighter onto her hands, feeling as though she’ll slip through his fingers at any moment. Victoria’s only just come back to him—she’s all that he wants. “I love you,” he tells her, reassures her, “I only love you.”

 

“You’re going to be a dad, Changmin,” Victoria smiles, “no matter how much you might want to deny it; you have a baby with another woman. I’m not generous enough to accept that fact and still be able to welcome you into my life again. I'm sorry.”

 

“Don't say sorry, you've done nothing wrong. Qian, I need you,” he pleads, pulling her into his embrace, “please don’t leave me.”

 

Victoria slowly pushes him away. “She needs you more,” she answers, finally looking into his eyes, “the baby needs you.”

 

“I—”

 

“Shim Changmin, we both know you’re not the type of guy that can tell a girl to abort a baby,” Victoria interrupts him. “If you were, I would never have fallen in love with you.”

 

Changmin takes a deep breath and glances back at the girl beside the door. “We can work something out.”

 

“She’s not here to work things out,” Victoria shakes her head, “she’s here to ask you whether or not she’s going to be the mother of your child; not just give birth to a child for you, but to be the only one to birth your children.”

 

He stands there speechless while knowing that everything Victoria says is true. Each second drains past them with a breeze of stiffening air until Changmin breaks the frozen atmosphere by dragging Victoria to their home and guiding her inside.

 

Before he closes the door, he asks the girl standing outside, “What is your name?”

 

“Wendy Son.”

 

Changmin then reaches in his pocket for his wallet and pulls out a business card. “Call me tomorrow and we can talk this over more appropriately.”

 

She seems to want to say more but Changmin simply manages a small smile and closes the door, shutting him and Victoria off from the rest of the world.

 

“You should take her home,” is the first thing Victoria says to him, “she’s pregnant, after all.”

 

“She’s pregnant, not disabled,” Changmin replies, “if she could make her way here, she’ll be able to find her way back.”

 

Victoria shakes her head. “That’s no way to treat a lady.”

 

“A lady wouldn’t sleep with a stranger she’s never met before,” Changmin retorts.

 

This only makes Victoria more upset. “You would know.”

 

“Qian, can we discuss this properly—without the hostility?” Changmin pleads again.

 

“I'm expressing no hostility towards you,” she clarifies, “you’re over thinking it.”

 

Helpless, Changmin rounds about the sofa and joins her in the living room. The cushions feel hard and cold to the touch, but not as cold as his heart is feeling inside.

 

“Actually, I’ve been wanting to bring this up for a while now,” she continues, “I’ve been wanting to discuss our relationship.”

 

Changmin’s breath stops altogether; his fingers slowly numb, jaw strengthless and legs feeling weak.

 

It is perhaps the peace in her eyes and the evenness in her tone that makes him feel so afraid—as though their relationship meant nothing to her anymore. “I think it’s best for the both of us to separate.”

 

And then his whole world shatters, broken pieces scattered all over the floor. He can’t move a single muscle because, if he does, his skin will be scathed by the fatally sharp edges of his fragmented world. “Separate?”

 

Break up,” she corrects herself this time, “I think it’s best for us to break up, Changmin.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Aside from apologizing, what else can Changmin do?

 

He’s done everything else he can to prove his loyalty; he’s done everything he can to show Victoria how much he loves her and needs her by his side, yet, in the end, because of a hospital report from a girl he only remembers seeing once in his life, his entire world is thrown upside down.

 

It was a mistake—that was all.

 

Changmin hadn’t meant to betray Victoria. It was only physical; it was only an act of drunkenness and poor judgment due to his severed mentality from the influence of alcohol.

 

It was only a mistake, however, this fault cost him everything.

 

So, after Victoria packed a small luggage that day and left their home, all Changmin can do is continuously send her messages of apologies and leave her voice messages pleading for her to give him once more chance.

 

It’s my fault, it was my mistake, but there has to be a way I can make up for it… right?”

 

Wrong.

 

At least, that’s what Victoria’s actions are telling her.

 

She doesn’t answer her phone and she isn’t replying to his messages. It’s like she’s disappeared from his world, clean and clear, and there’s no way he can get her back.

 

Changmin tries calling her hometown but her mother says she hasn’t spoken to Victoria in days. He tries calling Amber and Luna, Victoria’s closest friends that he knows of, but they haven’t heard from her either.

 

Of course, they could all be lying, but Changmin isn’t thinking that closely—all he can think about is how to get Victoria to answer to him and what to do about Wendy Son that won’t make Victoria even more upset at him than she already is.

 

Victoria, Victoria, Victoria…

 

“If she sees you at this state you’re in, she’ll probably never come back to you, ever.”

 

“She didn’t love me for my looks,” Changmin defends himself.

 

Yunho scoffs. “No? Well, it couldn’t possibly have been your lack of, either.”

 

The older man always had a way of getting under Changmin’s skin. “What do you want?”

 

“I only wanted to see if you were dead yet,” Yunho shrugs, “apparently that’s a negative.”

 

“You’re being derogative,” Changmin sputters back. “Qian would never.”

 

“That’s because she’s too nice,” Yunho agrees with him, “however, she’s got backbone and I like that.”

 

Changmin slants him a glare.

 

“What are you going to do about the pregnant girl?” Yunho asks him.

 

The younger boy takes a deep breath and then heaves the breath out. “What else can I do? I told her to keep it if she wants it and I’ll support them, but if she doesn’t want it then I’ll provide for the surgery and a good nursing environment for her to restore her health.”

 

“You sound like an ,” the other says, “Victoria won’t like that.”

 

“What else can I do?!” Changmin grits through his teeth. “I don’t want the baby, hyung. I don’t want the girl, I don’t want the baby; I just want Qian back.”

 

Yunho frowns, a little worried. “You need to relax,” he tells Changmin, “you’re killing yourself.”

 

“I wish I could,” Changmin sighs, his voice trembling. “Everything hurts, I feel like a horrible human being and I hurt the only person I ever want to protect.”

 

“What’s done is done, there’s no point in sulking over the wrongs you’ve made,” Yunho says.

 

Changmin does everything he can to hold back his tears. Did Victoria cry for him, too? “I can’t find her, hyung,” Changmin mutters beneath his breath, “I’ve asked everyone, I’ve looked everywhere, but I can’t find her. She doesn’t want to be found. There’s nothing I can do.”

 

“You can live better,” the older man corrects him. “You can clean yourself up, handle the matters at hand responsibly, and prove to Victoria that you’re more than just a guy that knocked a girl up and then ran away from the reality of it all. She loved you because of who you were, not this pile of rotten mess that you’re making yourself become.”

 

Yunho’s right and Changmin knows that it is time to wake up from his child’s play.

 

-----

 

A/N: I used Wendy Son because she sang an OST song for Changmin's mini drama thing-- I've got no intention on burning or defaming anyone, so don't misunderstand ^__^ I hope everyone had a Happy Halloween!!! ♥Xue