Little Things

Breathe Easy

Warning: Has not been proofed/edited.

 

 

 

“Take the baby with you.”

 

Those were possibly the most unexpected words Changmin heard from the older woman. “With all due respect Ma’am, have you spoken to Wendy about this?”

 

“I’m her mother, I know what’s best for her,” Wendy’s mom insists. “Having a child to take care of will only hold Wendy back; she has many possibilities in her future, but how likely can she approach any opportunity provided if she’s got a baby to worry about?”

 

Changmin keeps silent.

 

“A woman’s value is highly decreased by two factors: one, the status of her relationship and two, whether or not she has had children. What man will want her anymore after knowing she’s birthed a child from a one night stand?” She continues. “Do you realize how improper that makes her seem?”

 

“I have no issue with raising the baby, but I don’t want Wendy to feel as though we’re stealing the baby from her. Every mother has an attachment to her child; I’ve done enough damage to her as it is,” he answers.

 

Wendy’s mother nods. “Then you should take the baby.”

 

“I don’t want to do anything that will upset her further,” Changmin says. “If Wendy tells me herself that this is what she wants, then I’m more than happy to do so, but I want to make sure this is what she wants.”

 

“What about your girlfriend?” The woman asks him. “Aren’t you worried about what she wants?”

 

Changmin thins his lips. “I’ll talk to her about it. I’m sure there’s a way we can make everything work out.”

 

“You both seem to be very fine and kind people,” Wendy’s mother compliments. “I’m sure we have nothing to worry about.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Qian? …Qian…”

 

She wakes up clouded by that familiar scent; Changmin’s enlarged pupils peering down into her face. While he was visiting Wendy she had fallen asleep in the chair beside their child’s bed and only now, now that they are good to go home, does Changmin have the heart to wake her.

 

There is something about being wrapped into Changmin’s arms that makes her sleep so at ease.

 

“How is Max?” Victoria asks.

 

Changmin smiles at her and tucks a waft of her hair behind her ears. “His fever is gone and he’s reacting very well to his medication. How are you feeling?”

 

“Tired,” Victoria yawns.

 

Laughing, Changmin gather’s all of their belongings before lifting the car seat in which Max is now deep asleep. Seeing how much he’s carrying, Victoria insists on carrying some of the bags for him.

 

“At least give me my own bag,” Victoria pouts sleepily.

 

In response, Changmin lifts his arm and motions for her to hook her arm around his as they walk. When they are exiting the hospital, hours before sunrise, it almost feels as though they are leaving some of their past burdens behind.

 

It’s these little things, these little moments, that are the foundations of their happiness.

 

“Thank you, Qian,” Changmin tells her when they are loading their items into the car.

 

She furrows her eyebrows. “What for?”

 

“For everything;” he answers, “and simply just for being here, with me.”

 

On their ride home, Changmin holds Victoria’s hand endearingly as he drives. The streets are nearly empty because of the early hours but something inside her feels so full—so content.

 

Some things you can hear a hundred times from other people but it wouldn’t make a difference, however, when the right person says it, it means the world. Right now, Victoria knows; she knows that Changmin cannot live without her.

 

Neither can she live without him.

 

Her fingers clasp a little tighter around his and she closes her eyes, leaning back against the seat of the car. Victoria takes a deep breath and releases it, releasing all of the built up tension inside of her as well.

 

She says, “Changmin, I love you.”

 

The corners of his lips raise uncontrollably, his eyes fogging up with a thin veil of tears.

 

“I’m sorry for not believing you,” Victoria almost whispers, “but no matter what you do, I want you to know that I’ll always love you.”

 

For them, this moment lasts for an eternity.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The one Wendy calls out is Victoria and not Changmin.

 

“I know my mom spoke to the two of you about adopting my daughter,” Wendy says, “and I think it might not be such a bad idea. How else am I supposed to get over Changmin, right?”

 

Victoria is actually rather surprised by Wendy’s straightforwardness; Changmin has yet to actually discuss the matter with Victoria, however, she somehow had a sense that this was what he’s been trying to talk to her about.

 

Unfortunately, the words were always caught in his throat and never made it past his lips.

 

“Have you named her yet?” Victoria asks.

 

Wendy scoffs. “You and Changmin really think alike. You even ask the same questions.”

 

“Well, have you?” Victoria repeats.

 

“Yeah,” Wendy shrugs. “Joy. I want her to grow up happy.”

 

Victoria smiles when she says, “and you think she’d grow up happy without her mother by her side?”

 

“She’ll have you and Changmin, and a brother,” Wendy retorts, “I’m sure she will be plenty happy.”

 

“What about you?” Victoria questions. “Will you be happy?”

 

“Why do you have so many questions?!” Wendy bites through her lips. Her fingers tremble as they grip onto the straps of her purse. “Why does it matter how happy I’ll be?”

 

Victoria sighs. “You’re welcome to visit us whenever you like. Joy would like that, no doubt in that. No child wants to live without their parents in their life after all.”

 

“It isn’t as though she’s old enough to tell who her biological mother is,” Wendy argues bitterly. “Why not just let her think you’re her mom?”

 

In a gentle but certain voice, Victoria replies, “because I’m not and, unfortunately, I’ll probably never be able to be as great of a mom to her as you can.”

 

At those words, tears begin falling from Wendy’s eyes uncontrollably. For some reason, in front of Victoria, Wendy becomes extremely vulnerable—she feels inferior, yet, at the same time she feels like she can depend on her.

 

Perhaps, in some ways, Victoria is the type of woman Wendy wishes she could be like.

 

“I’m not a good mom,” Wendy cries. “I’m throwing her away.”

 

Victoria shakes her head and extends a hand to pat Wendy’s hair soothingly. “You’re not throwing her away; you’re doing what’s best for the both of you, Wendy, and that is what matters in the end.”

 

The atmosphere between them becomes still, but comfortable, and then Wendy suddenly asks, “Do you think she’ll hate me?”

 

“Of course not,” Victoria tells her. “She’ll understand, we’ll make sure of it.”

 

-----

 

A/N: Coming to a closing~ so close! Happy reading~ :3 ♥Xue