Tactics

Breathe Easy

Warning: Has not been beta'd or edited.

 

 

 

Victoria didn’t go far.

 

In fact, she stayed rather close by.

 

Amber did actually know of Victoria’s whereabouts and Luna was blackmailed into doing the same. Both girls helped Victoria move into her new little apartment after all, so it was impossible for them not to know.

 

When Luna learned of Victoria’s pregnancy, she was the first to scout the area near her own home for a comfortable place where Victoria could live.

 

“If you’re close, I can visit you often and help you out if you need me,” Luna insisted.

 

Honestly, if Luna could, she would have had Victoria move in with her instead of living alone. However, Victoria flat out refused. “You’re living with your parents,” Victoria said, “I don’t want to be an inconvenience.”

 

“You could live with Amber then,” Luna had argued.

 

Amber and Victoria sort of exchanged glances and Victoria just laughed while explaining, “I’d prefer to live on my own.”

 

She also asks her boss to lie on her behalf as well. When Changmin went looking for her at work, her boss was instructed to tell Changmin that she’s been transferred to another branch—where, though, her boss had told Changmin he couldn’t reveal.

 

When a person is determined not to be found, there really is no way of finding them.

 

And while her stomach was still not protruding past her clothes, Victoria would make visits back home to her parents as often as she could in spontaneous sprouts so that Changmin could not meet with her.

 

The moment her mom sees her, she asks, “Are you and Changmin still fighting?”

 

Victoria proceeds to answer to the question by replying with, “We’ve broken up.”

 

“What do you mean? He was just here the other day to help us move in our new refrigerator.”

 

Sure enough, when Victoria rushes over to the kitchen, she sees the new and improved kitchenware sitting where their old refrigerator used to be. “Who bought it?”

 

“Changmin did,” her mom tells her, “we told him not to but the last few times he visited he noticed the ice maker wasn’t working well and the light bulbs were having delayed reactions so he got us a new one.”

 

Victoria frowns. “Mom—”

 

“A couple shouldn’t fight for more than a day, honey,” her mom interrupts her. “No matter what Changmin has done wrong, as long as he realizes his fault, you should forgive him.”

 

Biting down on her lip, Victoria simply turns around and walks away.

 

“I don’t even know which of you my child is anymore,” her mother continues, “Changmin visits us at least once every week but you only come in every now and then. What did Changmin do that could have been so bad, huh? Why are you fighting with him for so long?”

 

“Mom, I don’t want to talk about it.”

 

“But Changmin is such a good boy—“

 

Victoria stops in her tracks and whips around, facing her mother. “If you don’t want me to disappear from you too then don’t speak another word about Shim Changmin!”

 

It’s not Victoria's words that shock her mother but the tears now formed in her eyes. After staring at her daughter for long enough to acknowledge the pain within them, she finally sighs out of helplessness and nods, making her way back into the kitchen.

 

Feeling horrible for her attitude and sudden outburst, Victoria follows her mother and leans against the door frame.

 

“Mom, there are some things that just can’t go back to the way they were no matter how hard you try.” Victoria explains. “Changmin and I… I’m afraid we’re one of those things.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

He has always believed in strategies. However, ever since meeting Victoria, Changmin has realized that strategies work very effectively in business and his career but not so much in romance.

 

Wendy, though. Which would she categorize under?

 

“I can meet your parents.”

 

“Really?!” Wendy exclaims excitedly, her eyes glowing under the fluorescent living room lights.

 

Changmin barely manages a smile as he lowers his Times magazine into his lap. “Sure.”

 

“When?” She cheerily asks, about to reach for his arm when Changmin casually straightens out his back and slides away from her grasp.

 

After a brief yawn, signaling he was tired and it was about time she left, he says, “Doesn’t matter to me, honestly, but you should start thinking about how to introduce me to them first.”

 

“What do you mean?” Wendy wonders aloud, not quite understanding.

 

Changmin tosses his magazine onto the coffee table and glances at her. “Well, we’re not dating and neither are we married. Do we tell them I’m the man you had a one night stand with that got you pregnant?”

 

She doesn’t reply.

 

“I don’t have a problem with that but your parents might,” Changmin reminds her in feigned consideration.

 

Slightly upset by his words, Wendy reaches for her bag and stands on her feet. “I can keep it from them until my stomach starts showing, but what then?” She grumbles.

 

“The decision is all yours,” Changmin answers firmly. “I told you, as long as it doesn’t cause any troubles for the both of us, you can do anything you want. If I have to meet your parents, I will—I should, because I was in fact the one who impregnated you and therefore I have that responsibility. However, meeting your parents is only out of duty and not desire.”

 

“And so you visit her parents every week out of your so-called desire?” Wendy scoffs.

 

He barely bats an eyelash. “Her parents are my parents. I visit them because it makes me happy; it makes me feel like Victoria and I am still connected.”

 

“You’re being too hopeful,” Wendy says, all but laughing in his face, “she probably hates you.”

 

Changmin shrugs. “Maybe she does, but I love her and that’s all that matters.”

 

Without another word, Wendy stomps out of his complex and slams the door behind her. Changmin closes his eyes and rubs his temple, willing his headache to go away.

 

Yes, strategies and such childish tactics work on Wendy, but how much longer will he have to keep fighting until he doesn’t have to worry anymore? Wendy was neither romance nor work—she doesn’t affect his emotions nor does she encourage his career—so what is she?

 

Better yet, who is she and why is she so intent on being in his life?

 

Despite not having the answer to those questions, Changmin does know one thing for certain. Wendy is not Victoria and, thus, will never be able to take Victoria’s place.

 

Not even with his child.

 

A familiar ringing invades his trail of though and Changmin quickly answers the phone.

 

“Changminnie? It’s me, Qian’s mom.”

 

Suddenly, everything feels a little lighter. “Is everything alright mom? The fridge isn’t giving you issues, is it?”

 

There is a peculiar silence between them that has never occurred before and Changmin instantly has a gut feeling that nearly tears him apart.

 

“Did she come back? Is Qian with you, mom?” Changmin asks.

 

After what feels like forever, she finally says, “Changminnie, I’m sorry... Qian… she said if I ever spoke to her about you again, she’ll disappear away from me, too. I tried talking to her about it but she started crying and I’ve never seen her like this before.”

 

“Mom…” Changmin mutters, but he doesn’t quite know what else he can say.

 

“I’ve called for the company to pick up the refrigerator from us, Changminnie. Thank you for all you’ve done. I just thought it would be appropriate to speak to you one more time before things get really bad, you know? I’m an old lady and Qian is all we’ve got.”

 

Changmin nods. “I understand, mom.”

 

“Good,” she sighs. “I really like you, Changmin, and I always thought you’d be my son-in-law, but maybe Qian is right; some things just aren’t meant to be.”

 

-----

 

A/N: Did you guys see Vic and Changmin at the Best of Best in Guangzhou After-party? ^_^ lol. Anyhow, I'll probably be updating one more chapter later today because I know I've missed a couple of weeks >_<;; sorry! Love you guys! ♥Xue